Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deceptively Delicious

Default Deceptively Delicious

Sooo..... a friend ( ) of mine got this book for Christmas & I had a flick through.... it looks awesome! Its by Jessica Seinfeld, Jerry's wife.

When I was baking today I decided to use some ideas from the book & I altered my recipe for choc chip biscuits. I added sweet potato & halved the normal self raising flour & added the rest as wholemeal self raising flour. They are delicious!! I'm so proud of them & Matilda loved helping & didn't balk at them at all where she usually won't touch sweet potato for a mile. I didn't feel bad even with the chocolate bits in them.... I used less sugar as well because the sweet potato sweetened it & I used a bit of apple puree as well so I didn't use white sugar, just brown.

If the girls weren't allergic to oats I would have used them as well. Using less flour.
    Last edited by christy; December 30th, 2007 at 08:47 PM.

Ooh I have heard of this book but havent seen one in the flesh yet. Oprah was raving about it! Sounds good... the general idea is to make food that is yummy but actually kind of healthy with getting kids to eat it??? is that right? If so, I could really use it on my DH...

Can we have some ideas???? Or recipes...

I saw this book on Oprah, it looks really really good! I'm hoping to eventually get my hands on a copy

Okay I have no idea on quantities but the other recipe I was going to try today was mixing:

drinking chocolate
    1 avocado pureed
    1/2 cup sweet potato pureed
    cinnamon

Then use fruits to dip in....so like a fondue but with more good than bad

Christy, my SIL got me the book too after seeing her on Oprah and its fantastic. Her DD is a very fussy eater and she woofed down the chicken nuggets done with the spinach puree! Your biscuits sound yummy.

For those interested in buying a copy, you can get the book cheaper through Amazon from the US, I think it was $25 AU. Author is Jessica Seinfeld.

Christy, I have been hearing good things about this book so I'm glad to know someone IRL who has had success with it. It sounds like a great idea to me so now I'm planning on getting the book. I wonder if I should suggest it to my mum - she tries to get her DH to eat vegies as a healthy diet is supposed to be a big help with a medical condition he has, but he's worse with vegies than any child LOL!

I think I need to get the book I've had a flick though as I've said but all I can remember is the two ideas.

Oh wow that sounds amazing. I have never heard about it before! I am off to check it out!!

Some recipies on Oprahs site

Deceptively Delicious Recipes

The biscuits are gone!!! DH & the girls were nuts this morning & ate them all. After he tasted them I said that they had sweet potato puree, added vege protein and wholemeal flour and he said he didn't notice!! They are all hyped up now buts thats okay, they had them after breakfast.

My modified choc chip biscuits: (I don't normally do quantities, I just pour into the bowl... so I'll guestimate for you)

1/2 cup sweet potato puree
    1/2 cup nuttlex or margarine... or butter salt reduced whatever you use softened.
    1 cup brown sugar

Mix together with electric beaters really well first and then:

1 egg
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 cup wholemeal self raising flour
    1 cup self raising flour
    1 packet dark chocolate bits (the Cadbury ones are dairy free)

* I added 2 tablespoons of vege protein powder that we put in shakes & pancakes just for extra goodness & to reduce the GI*
    Last edited by christy; December 31st, 2007 at 08:42 AM.

Wow! this sounds really good!
    just a quick note, i looked on the Dymocks website and you can pick it up for $35 from there

edit: you can also get it for $10 USD from amazon but don't forget you'll be paying shipping costs and all that jazz.
    Last edited by slimjadey; December 31st, 2007 at 10:55 AM.

My mum bought me this book the other day - it is fantastic! Now I am a person who has millions of cookbooks (well, not millions, but you get the gist) and am pretty confident in the kitchen but this book is soooo worth it!

i saw her on oprah & got some recipes from her site - think jessica seinfeld has a site too under the book name
    i hunted around to get the book as some places had it $49.95 - ended up getting it for $19.95 at kmart - it has some great ideas in it & you can adapt them to suit you
    one thing that stuck in my mind from the show was that jessica purees the vegies all at once (once a week) & stores them in baggies in the fridge so she just has to grab them when needed

Thanks Christy I had never even heard of it before *makes note to self to get out from under rock every now and then*

This page has links to some of the recipes.

Hi guys, I want to buy this book only i'm just wondering how many recipes/pages it has?

It has 208 pages.
    Don't know how many recipies.

Great, thanks. I didn't want to buy it if it only had like 15 recipes lol It will be great for DF as he refuses to eat any vegies apart from potato in the form of a chip! - I don't know how he does it, I feel terrible if i don't eat vegetables for a few days.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast