Thread: How to improve the mere toasted sandwhich...

Talking How to improve the mere toasted sandwhich...

Well in a drunken hungerfest, I went through the kitchen trying to find something rather delectable for Marc & I to eat...

I decided upon the mere toasted cheese sandwich (in the sandwich press)... but I felt it needed some improving... soooo I made up some parmesan butter to butter the outside of each sandwich and OMG... sooooo good. It was like a toasted sandwich made with that sizzler bread (if you can remember sizzler days). I used dried parmesan not fresh, but I'm sure you could use fresh if you liked. I mixed a few tablespoons of butter with a few tablespoons of parmesan and a good pinch of maldon salt. The end result was pure heaven

Just thought I'd share...

mmmmmmmmmmmmm yummmmy

Werll I know what I'm having for lunch!!

Gotta love the drunken foodie innovations......xx

I used to mix a bit of garlic with the butter for the outside and then a scraping of vegemite in the inside, then ham, cheese & pineapple with LOTS of black pepper

OOOooOoOo Schaz thats so something I would do! I was going to add garlic & herbs, but Marc was convinced that parmesan was enough. I think I'm going to have to experiment with flavours

And Lucy OH yes LOL! And luckily I'm not feeling it today... gotta love the holiday period! But now I want pancakes & bacon.

Don't worry Cai, it will come back to bite you tonight LOL.

Sometimes I do toastie pizzas if I have some decent cheese in the house - kraft singles just don't cut it LOL. We put pepperoni, finely chopped pineapple (I don't often have crushed pineapple) that is really well drained to stop it going soggy and cheese (usually mozarella if we have it or an equally good cheese). Butter the outside as normal and then put tomato paste and minced garlic on the inside and then the other fillings - yummy!

i must say chicken cheese and bbq sauce is one of my favourite toasted sandwiches but it only seems to work on white bread - not quite as exotic as your suggestions ladies (which I will have to try once m/s disappears) - but yummy

oh man im so glad i opened this thread.... i used to LOVE LOVE LOVE the sizzler bread...
    so excited.

cailin i dont want to hijack but we oftne have chicken coated in eggwhite then parmasen cheese pressed into it, like normal schnitzal, use fresh grated parmasen and cook as normal , it is sensational!!!!!!!!!

AJP we do that tooooo! But we do half parmesan & half deb flakes.... YUM!!!!!! Will have to try just parmesan. I also do crumbed lamb cutlets in a similar way. And please hijack anytime!

Oh and for all those with leftover xmas ham... think toasted sandwiches

We love bacon, egg and cheese toasted sangers. I break the egg up in a little bowl and add grated cheese and heaps of cracked pepper and salt. Chop the bacon up and mix it all together so it doesnt all run out of the bread when I pour it in. Also I love a scraping of minced garlic on the buttered side of the bread toooo mmmmmmmmm....

I reckon a relish or a pickle can do wonders to a plain old toastie too.

Cant remember sizzler bread but I love the sound of that so will have to try that one... SOOOOO glad DH bought me a sandwich press for chrissy. yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Niliac View Post
    But now I want pancakes & bacon.
    ooooohhhh yesssssssssssssssssss a stack of pancakes, with freshly cooked bacon SMOTHERED in real maple syrup

ok I'm sitting here with chunky avocado, chilli & lemon dip (Black Swan brand) with olive oil & sea salt crussinis

Quote Originally Posted by schaz View Post
    ok I'm sitting here with chunky avocado, chilli & lemon dip (Black Swan brand) with olive oil & sea salt crussinis
    YUM!

I had Bacon & French toast for breaky at a cafe, and I have to say it was no way near as good as mine Lucky the latte was good though!

Oh how yum,

I like brie (thick) with cranberry sauce on a taosty with a bit of chrissie ham too...

My high school used to make these pizza muffins to sell at the canteen and they were awsome, i still make them sometimes.
    Its just an english muffin toasted in the toaster, smother with tomato paste, sprinkle some italian herb blend on it and top with sliced tasty cheese and just stick it under the grill for the cheese to melt
    Muffins can be on the expensive side so you could prolly use normal toast for it even

Oh Cai that sounds fantastic!! I am gonna try it!

My fave home made toastie is chicken, semi sundried tomatoes, jarlsberg cheese, avocado and perinaise... mmmm mmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm devine!

i just tried it and it was awesome!!

I had ham, mozarella cheese, spring onions and baby spinach inside with the parmesan butter on the outside. Even dh was utterly impressed!! yay for cai again!