Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Massive Cook Up - wdyt?

as much as possible, i eat as local as the backyard!

Yeah, you are right on the veg BG. I wish I knew of a spud farm around here. The last lot I bought were OLD and I wasn't happy.

I also want to choose where my veg comes from, I live close to the Yarra Valley and I want to be able to take advantage. I'd rather die than buy veg from a supermarket (truly - there is no actual food in supermarkets at all), but some times I get stuck. I was half thinking of getting together a co-op type thing together, I will see how I go sourcing things first.

I am pinching back my slow cooker FOR SURE, I was drooling reading through the slow cooker chat. At this point I'm still going to do the big cook up -soups, pasta sauces, lasagnes, veg meals for the teenrager. I will plan it with precision!

Thanks for all the tips, I'm looking forward to it all. Hopefully I can get my own apetite back too...

hun - i should be coming down next weekend (or whenever the do at your place is) - want me to grab you some spuds on the way (even if they're just from the spud shed at Traf or the berry farm at garfield - not sure anyone will be back to thorpdale this week in the next week or so) - and pumpkin - well, i reckon i could almost say ours will be ready for picking by then (and they're HUGE so you'll be able to share with someone else if you wont eat it all)....

She comes bearing veggies!!!!! Yaaaayyyy!

gotta find a way to hide myself from scrutiny - i can hide behind a bag of spuds and a huge pumpkin! lol

You silly banana! We will all be absorbed in the other things to look at darl......tee hee heee!

Someone I know does this, Once a Month Cooking, on a permanaent basis (in her own home though) and has written an e-document on it and everything that she sells on her website.
    I think I have a copy of it i will look for you, but most of it is fairly obvious. It does have good hints though for dcoling times prior to freezing, and how par through to pre-cook things..stuff like that.
    If you have a chest freezer it will help a lot as you can store things for a lot longer.

well, Lulu, you can be proud! this thread inspired me to actually get a big amount of cooking done. last weekend was the first vegie soup, which i was able to freeze. DH got home yesterday morning, went shopping during the day at the local market for the veg we didn't already have, and did a mammoth cook up yesterday. three slow cookers, the cooktop and the electric fry pan were going at one point, but it's worked out brilliantly!

now, we have in the freezer:
    7 vegie soup (from last weekend)
    3 curried chicken (from the slow cooker sachet things - not bad if you like coconut based curries)
    2 beef and red wine casserole (another slow cooker sachet thing - DH likes it - i don't do red wine so didn't even sample)
    5 herb and garlic lamb (the third of the slow cooker sachets we tried - too herby for me, but i have issues with heartburn and reflux, so anything like that was bound to be out of my tastes!)
    5 chow mein (DH made from scratch)
    8 chicken and corn soup (plus one for mum - we made the stock from scratch then just kept adding stuff - it's soooooo thick and yummy!)
    9 vegie soup (a little different to last weeks!)

spag bol is still in the SC at the moment - without pasta there is about 9 meals worth in there (lotsa vegies!) - with pasta, we'll probably close to double that....

and tonight, when DH gets back from his friends place, we're going to do a heap of vegies in a white sauce - it's easy for DH to heat up to go with meat when he's travelling, and has a bit of everything in it - and when we're home - well, we can chuck it in a dish in the oven - it's delish either way! i think we'll get maybe 10 meals out of that, maybe more

not bad for what has, realistically, only been about five hours "hands on" work...

DoubleK Guest

wow, you ladies really inspire me... i struggle with cutting/crumbing 3 or 4 chicken breast fillets to freeze for the week! im happy to leave the kitchen after doing that.. i couldnt imagine myself cooking for a months worth of dinners!! lol

good luck with it Lulu!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12