Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passionfruit!

Default Passionfruit!

Hi does anyone have any recipe ideas for passionfruit?

We have a vine that has gone crazy, I have two shopping bags full of them so far. And whilst I have given some away I still have heaps!

Apart from using them to decorate cakes/pavs etc are there any other ideas? Thanks!

What about making a sorbet with them? yum!

kerry Guest

Banana and Passionfruit Muffins

Ingredients:

11/20 cup flour
    3 cup bran flakes
    2 tsp baking powder
    3 tsp cinnamon
    3 x mashed bananas
    1 tsp passionfruit syrup
    1/2 cup butter
    1 cup milk
    1/2 cup golden syrup
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    2 tsp baking soda

Method:
    Preheat oven to 200C, prepare pans. Combine flour, bran, b/pdr, cinnamon & bananas. Heat the butter, golden syrup, sugar & milk in a pot, add the baking soda & passionfruit syrup. Add the dry mix to the wet mix until just combined. Spoon into pans & bake for 15 mins or until golden brown.

Makes 12
    large muffins. 268 calories per muffin.

Passionfruit Curd

Ingredients:

125 gm unsalted butter, softened
    1 cup caster sugar
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    2 tsp lemon zest
    4 x eggs, lightly beaten
    pulp of 6 passionfruit

Method:
    1. Place all ingredients in the top of a double boiler and cook over gentle heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the mixture thickens. To test if mixture is thick enough, remove spoon and draw a finger down the back of the spoon. If the curd is cooked, the mixture on the spoon will remain in place. If still runny, then cook further until successfully tested.

2. To cook in the microwave, place all ingredients in a large microwave-safe bowl and stir (do not beat) with a balloon whisk. Cook on HIGH for 2 minutes, then remove and stir with whisk. Continue cooking for no more than 1 minutes at a time until mixture is starting to thicken, always stirring in between. As mixture thickens, cook in 30 second bursts to prevent over- cooking.

3. When curd is complete, pour into sterilized jars, seal immediately and allow to cool. Store in refrigerator and use within a few weeks

kerry Guest

Passionfruit Delicious

Ingredients:

1 cup sugar
    1 tbl butter
    2 x eggs, separated
    pulp of 6 passionfruit
    2 tbl flour
    1 cup milk

Method:
    1. Pre-heat oven to 180deg.C. Grease an ovenproof dish.

2. Cream together the sugar and butter. Add egg yolks and passionfruit pulp alternately with the flour. Slowly add milk, stirring all the time.

3. Beat the egg whites until stiff with a pinch of salt and fold into passionfruit mixture. Pour into prepared dish and stand in a baking tin. Pour in enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the pudding dish.

4. Bake for about 30 minutes.

Passionfruit Ice-Cream

Ingredients:
    Sugar Syrup
    250 gm sugar (caster)
    2 tbl water
    Icecream
    2 x egg yolks
    10 x passionfruit
    500 ml cream

Method:
    Make sugar syrup and cool.

In a stainless steel bowl mix egg yolks and syrup, whisking occasionally over a double boiler until thick. When egg yolk mix is ready and cooled slightly add passionfruit pulp. Whip cream until soft peaks form. Fold cream into passionfruit mix and freeze.

Coconut Ice-Cream is made the same way using desiccated coconut brought to the boil in milk and simmered for 5 minutes to infuse all the flavour.

Follow steps as in Passionfruit Ice-Cream.
    Last edited by kerry; March 6th, 2007 at 11:41 AM.

kerry Guest

Passionfruit Jam

Ingredients:

24 x passionfruit
    5 cup cold water
    1 cup water
    1 x lemon
    5 cup sugar

Method:
    Wash fruit well. Scoop out the pulp from the passionfruit and retain. Take half the passionsfruit shells and put with the first measure of water into a bowl and leave to stand overnight. Bring to the boil with the water and boil for about 30 minutes, or until inside of shells are tender. Scoop out this pulp and discard the thin paper skin that remains. Discard the cooking water.

Chop or mash the pulp and put into jam pan with fruitpulp and seeds. Add the second measure of water and bring to the boil. Add the juice of the lemon. Add sugar and boil briskly until the jam will set when tested.

Allow to cool 10 minutes before pouring into hot, dry jars. Seal when cold.

Passionfruit Mousse

Ingredients:

4 tsp gelatine powder
    2 tbl water
    1 cup passionfruit pulp
    1 cup cream
    1/4 cup sugar (caster)
    2 tbl lemon juice

Method:
    Sprinkle gelatine over water, dissolve over hot water.

Combine passionfruit, cream, sugar and lemon juice in a bowl. Add gelatine and mix well. Pour into individal moulds and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until set.

Turn out onto serving plate and garnish with fresh fruit slices and mango coulis.

What about giving more away? (I'll be in the nappy thread mate)

It's yum on pancakes too.

abs Guest

hmm, my Panama Gold vine has gone nuts too - maybe 60 or 70 fruit on it, but damn if they'll ripen

OMG I tried growing them & the feral possums ate the vines new shoots so I tore out the vines in frustration, I LOVE passionfruits.... I'll happily have some!!!! LOL

I'm in bayswater (JIC)

Thanks for the ideas!

Kerry thanks heaps for the recipes, I'll have to give some of them a go!
    I just had my mum ring me and ask for a whole bag so she can give them away at work!

If we get any more over the next week or so I'll happily drop some off to anyone who isn't too far from me! Yes Tracey that's you! I live in Kilsyth. I'll keep you posted!

Wooo HOO, doing a saggy bagg happy preg belly dance!!!! LOL.......

PASSIONFRUIT (is my Homer Simpson Donut addiction) DROOOLLLLLLLL

OK, Brooke & Kerry & others (NO MORE RECIPES!!!!)

Ooooohhh passionfruit slice sounds delish! I'd love to make it if you can find the recipe!
    Does anyone think that passionfruit will be ok to freeze?

Ha ha Tracey, I'm imagining what your preg dance looks like!!!!!!

NO BROOOOOOOOKE NOOOOOOOO, Not til I get a bag full !!!!! PMSL

yep you can freeze them

kerry Guest

To freaze, I would cut them open, scoop their bits into ice cube trays then freeze them. Once frozen I would put the passion cubes (oo doesn't that sound naughty) into zip lock freezer bags or a container and they should keep for a month or 2.

Lemon juice done this way is good for 6 months+ but I usually use it all before 6 months is up so not sure how long.

Oh and those little bits of wine left in the bottle can be frozen like this to add to sauces etc when you need them, saves opening a whole new bottle... then again open the new bottle and enjoy drinking the leftovers

Ha ha that does sound naughty Kerry!

Think I'll be making some passion cubes tonight!! And great idea for wine as well although we rarely have any left!

mmm, and with the passion cubes, wack them in fruit punches.

kerry Guest

Oh yeah Kazbah, or milk shakes... yummo, with a dash of vanilla essence and some nice malt.... oh I am craving some now and I'm not even pg.

Thanks Brooke!

Kerry I made your passionfruit ice cream, it was soooo yum! I'm so addicted to ice cream right now!
    I might try some more of your recipes this weekend!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast