Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Sandwiches, Lunches & Light Meals

I bulk buy our bread and freeze it.....it defrosts fine. I would have thought some fillings would make a frozen sandwich soggy....I guess it's a trial and error thing though.

I grew up on frozen sandwiches. My mother made lunches for four every sunday afternoon with fresh bread from the markets. The sandwiches did tend to get a bit boring as they were devoid of salad.

Our stock standards were:
    roast pork with apple chutney
    ham with mustard
    chicken/turkey with cranberry sauce (better still, left over roast chook).
    lamb and fruit chutney
    salami with tomato chutney
    cheese (brother always had cheese and chutney)
    devon & tomato sauce (other brother had this for a year!)
    vegemite
    vegemite & cheese

and that was about it.

Basically any deli meat and chutney/sauce combination doesn't defrost into a mushy mess. Be scant with the sauce though.

We never ever had any success with any fresh salad or vegetable ingredients.

Oh and her other secret was two layers of gladwrap on everything!

You would probably just leave them in the lunch box and they would defrost in time for lunch. I use frozen bread, but not frozen sandwiches.

Sherie is right, you just put them in your lunchbox and they are thawed out by lunchtime at room temp.

Sherie - when using frozen bread, does that get around the salad problem?

Yep just pop them in the lunch box and they defrost by lunchtime - I lived on these during school

my friend suggested it to me, as she freezes made up sandwhiches each week and just puts them in the kids lunchbox each day, she said it saves her heaps of time. Because its just for Ashlea's lunch for kinder 3 times a week the salad thing isnt a real problem cause she usually sticks to ham and cheese or chicken or peanut butter or honey. She can't take peanutbutter to school but i didnt know what honey would be like when it defrosts??

My mum used to do this when i was in primary school. I absolutely hated it. I couldn't eat them, they tasted weird and just yuck, which is probably why i can't even eat a fresh sandwich anymore!

Tegan - I think this is what double gladwrap helps fix. Otherwise they just taste like the freezer. Know what you mean though.. I only like freshly made ones now.

So everyone what did you have for lunch today?

I had a bowl of strawberries & because I had no grown up yoghurt I stol one of Zander's kids ones LOL! Very yummy

Ooh and yesterday I had this delicious pumpkin salad from the shops I think it had pumpkin, baby spinach, chick peas, spanish onion & I think it may have been italian dressing. I am definately going to try & recreate it!

Sarah do you have Debra Hay's off the shelf cookbook?? There is a pumpkin/cous cous/ spinach salad there... I can imagine the flavours working wekk with chick peas & spanish onion.

I had a toasted tuna & salad sandwich... and some biccies

Veggie pikelets and cucumber and watermelon chunks............

Ooooh Christy no I don't, do you?? Do you wanna post it for me when you have a minute? I'll be your best frieeeeend. Hehe, sorry weird mood over here, can you tell!

Tigergirl1980 Guest

I had chicken caesar salad made by my mum

I had a yummo pumpkin soup (courtesy of Fletch's recipe) but then was naughty and had some kettle chips and a wagon wheel, whoops!

All this talk of wraps makes me want to take them for lunch - will have to buy some pita bread

Zander is hooked on wrap as well - forgot to mention! He loves chicken, corn (he's addicted), cheese & a little bit of mayo.

He had fish fingers, peas & corn for lunch today.

*bump*

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567