Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Sandwiches, Lunches & Light Meals

Ivana, my Dh is the same with sandwiches - he hates them. Because he needs his lunch packed nearly every day, I will buy some cold BBQ chicken or cold deli meat (ham, bologna etc) or even a left over roast and just put it in a container with a bit of a salad and some dressing in a little container he can put on later. I have also done the soup/casserole too and just make extra for him to take or spaghetti bol works well too. Or potato bake. Occasionally I will cook a chicken schnitzel and make a chicken burger for him or cut up some left over roast meat (pork, lamb chicken whatever) and make up some gravy and mix the meat in with the gravy and put it in a container with a buttered bread roll and Dh heats up the meat and gravy and puts it on the roll. You could also do chicken wing/legs, either marinated or plain and just have them cold. The possibilities are endless really.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

I usualy make extra dinner and put that into containers in the freezer. You know things like, shepherds pie, casseroles, lasagne, curries etc. These freeze well and are easily heated up in the microwave. I assume he access to one as you mentioned freezing. With the warmer weather coming cold meats and salads will be good if he will eat them, Ben won't so I've got no luck there, lol.

*TamaraP* Guest

Man, I wish ALan would eat something besides Sandwiches!!!

Everday he has a vegitmite sandwich, yoghurt, muesli bar, piece of fruit and a Can of Drink. I don't even bother with his lunch!!! He makes it himself.

Maybe I should make him read this post

ok! well im the queen of making dh's lunch for him

Chunky soup or minestrone is great for these winter months! On a saturday I put a HUGE pot of something on and let it cook all day then freeze it.

My Dh has taken to liking meat pies this week. SO he buys them frozen and heats them up at work. He also likes to take a flask with hot dogs cooked in them and have some rolls.

Curries, stews, soups, casseroles, stir frys are great to freeze like bec said and taste yum when reheated.

good luck and let us know how you go

Thanks.. am going shopping this arvo so will pick up some extra to make a big batch of something!

mmmm shepherds pie. Might make that tonight Might get a big soup going too.

I do have a slow cooker.. but haven't delved into a lot of recipes just yet. And I'm not keeping up with the SC thread very well these days. Must pop in there again.

He does eat salad.. and the cold chicken & salad idea is a good one! Can cut up the salad the night before. Might wait a month or so on that one when it warms up a bit. He loves his soups and things so I'll do that while it's still cold.

sounds great ivana! Check out the slow cooker recipe thread. Make a huge batch in there to freeze. no effort at all good luck

Ivana my Dh always takes his own lunch tyo work but he does actually throw it together himself!
    Being Asian it has to contain rice, so he has a chunk of rice, then adds stuff like marinated pork spare ribs, or chicken wings, drumsticks, casseroles, stews, noodles, he will cook his own chicken gizzard & eggplant chilli something or other (I wont eat anything containg inners of animals!)
    If we have left over lasagne he will have that without rice, sometimes on a Sunday afternoon he'll cook up a big pot of fried noodles with prawns, eggs, veggies etc & add a chicken wing...

He has never bought lunch & it does save money, I too always take my lunch, which is asalad sanga's or bread that I toast at work & then top with avocado & sweet chilli tuna (OMG it's so yummy!) But I also will take in some of what DH has prepared!!!

God Luck, I hope he appreciates it!

The Slow cooker is great, I never use less than 2 kgs of meat at a time & make uup huge curries etc with cheap meats & have it 2 nights in a row & then freeze the rest for a week or so times & Dh has some for lunch it goes a long way!!!!

I too am one who makes larger portions & freezes dinners etc for DH. Anything in the SC gets at least 3 extra lunches for the freezer. I make double size pastas for lunches too. If I do a roast chook, I pull off a leg & wing for DH for lunch with a salad.... so all ideas already given Goodluck!

Ivana - u definately have to get back into the s/c thread!!!!!!!!!! There's some fab recipes in that which make enough for lunches the next day

I pack DH's esky every day and it's usually just leftovers from dinner the night before, but I recently did a huge batch of frozen meals which I've been popping in there instead. I also make muffins and freeze those too so he can have them for morning tea.

I sometimes make a salsa from corn kernnels, tomatoe and Avacado and put some crackers in with it for DH to have a healthy "nachos" - you can also do it with a 4 bean mix.

There is chicken drummets and wingettes pre-cooked and added to the lunch box.

If I'm really lazy I give him pre-packed salad packs from the supermarket.

You can buy pasta for one Dolmio Pasta packs that you cook in the microwave. I'll often give these and one of the accompaning sauces to DH for lunch OR tuna flakes and tomato or corn kernnels so he can make a nice salad.

Salad rolls are a hit with DH - lettuce, ham, beetroot, grated carrots, cheese, tomato. Yummy!

I also make "antipesto" for DH. I put some salami, olives, sundried tomatoes and a little dip with some crackers into a container.

Leftovers when I'm organised enough to make extra.

I often make fresh salad for DH as well. Salad leaves, tomato, carrot, cucumber, red onion, cheese, boiled eggs, olives, chicken. Whatever I can find.

HTH.

MG

I used to make my DH lunch before pregnancy fatigue took over - now it's hard enough to do my own before work! I did sandwiches (he can eat what he's given), pasta and ham/cheese/tuna, herbs and cucumber and tomato in squares, or rice with vege bacon/tuna, peas, sweetcorn and herbs. He has no re-heat facility at work though.

DH often gets to take leftovers (hmm, and heats them in a microwave, so why is frozen soup out? - should have thought of that before!) in winter, usually SC leftovers and that makes his office jealous. Apparently. But the porcupine balls leftovers go down the best. Also if I do extra potato bakes then he takes those in as leftovers too, they can be eaten chilled from the fridge.

Making lunch the night before is best, as I said, I used to do mornings but am just too tired now!

Well.. I did a lamb casserole in the SC yesterday.. cooked up rice to have with it.. packed it all in containers.. and he forgot to take it this morning! grrr. Will probably take a bit of effort to get it into his morning rush routine. LOL.

I'm doing a noodle stirfry tonight.. so there'll be leftovers of that too. Can you freeze noodles? I know you can freeze fried rice, but noodles?

yeah you can. Try and get the noodles covered in liquid or sauce though. Otherwise they can dry out and go yuck

cool. thanks

Oh that's good to know Danni coz I've been leaving noodles out of my frozen stuff in case they went yuck, I'll give it a go now

Default frozen sandwiches

Hi, just wanting some idea's on sandwiches that can be made then frozen, so they still taste good when they are defrosted???

I have never thought of freezing sandwiches before, but I suppose peanut butter & jelly would work if you were that way inclined

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast