Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Sandwiches, Lunches & Light Meals

We had that for lunch last week Lucy.

Paked lunch for work is either SC leftovers, a sandwich, pasta salad or risotto.

When we're at home, then - actually, it's a bit similar, as in pasta salad, a hot risotto, fried egg/sausage sandwich - oooh, I really fancy sausage rolls for lunch now, haven't had that in ages! Also soup, crackers with ham, cheese, cucumber, tomatoes and sour cream, jacket potatoes, cheesy chips, the list goes on!

When I was little it was sandwiches every lunchtime, now I have an aversion to sandwiches too much, so only 1-2 times a week. Ooooh, jam, cheese and crisp sandwiches are gorgeous, but you have to make them up fresh. I also love doing fondues for snacking too.

Thanks girls. I'm doing the grocery shopping tomorrow or Thursday so that will help a lot.

Ryn, I know what you mean about the sandwiches. Until I left work, I had a salad sandwich every day for years on end (sometimes I left the bread out and just had salad). I bored myself witless! Not that there's anything wrong with salad or salad sandwiches as they can be quite interesting and tasty but perhaps not everyday.

Jam cheese and crisps ... hmmm ... have you also tried peanut butter, smoked ham and crisps? It's a bit special.

I like toast and jam topped with sliced cheese (cold not melted). A Dutch girl I knew at uni put me onto that one and I've been an addict ever since.

Oooh, Peanut butter, vege ham and crisps sounds fab! I'm not allowed peanut butter or nuts any more due to DH's allergy (for shame, he still eats meat!). I try to do mini-versions of dinners, or quick versions (so dried pasta with ham, cheese and tomatoes, or tuna, mayo, cucumber instead of making fresh stuffed pasta). I love toast and chilled cream cheese - just the coldness of the cheese is fab, but you have to put it on then take a bite, then put more on for the next bite...

You can get small tubs of pastas and coleslaw and salad stuff now, maybe you could look at them for inspiration?

Soooo glad I have leftover SC food for lunch today, along with choc chip choc cake! (and an apple for health.) All this luncheon talk is making me very hungry!

I make salads sometimes. I love getting salad leaves (the mixed bag from woollies) and baking some beetroot and pumpkin ( in small cubes) then put with the leaves and some olive oil and maybe pine nuts. could also add bacon.
    Also love soups, pumpkin, or roast vegie soup, or whatever!!
    There's also a soup I buy from woollies when Im feeling lazy, it's a spicy lentil and vegie soup. Absolutely delish. Not sure what brand..sorry.
    Also love making bruschetta with red onion, tomato and basil on sourdough bread. xo

Default Frittata

What are your favourite frittata recipes? I love a quick & easy meal if you haven't planned ahead... this is my favourite one, but I often change vege's depending on whats in the cupboard.

Vegetable Frittata

6-8 eggs beaten (depending on how big a frittata you want)
    1 1/2 cup grated cheese
    2 potatos - grated
    1 carrot - grated
    1 zucchini - grated
    1 tomato chopped/diced
    1/2 capsicum chopped finely
    1/2 red onion chopped finely
    1 can creamed corn or 1 cup frozen corn (whichever is most handy)
    2-3 slices ham (or not if vego )

I chuck the potatoes, carrot, zucchini, capsicum, onion & ham into a fry pan for a few minutes and saute lightly in a spray of olive oil. Then I transfer into a lasagne dish & add the corn, tomatos and cheese in & mix up. I then pour over the eggs and add salt & pepper to the top. I pop it into the over for 20 minutes on around 200 or until the top is brown.

Tuna Frittata

1 400gm tuna in springwater
    2 potatos chopped
    2 spring onion chopped
    2 cups cheese
    1 400gm can creamed corn
    6 eggs beaten
    salt & pepper
    spray olive oil

Pop the potatos into a fry pan & saute in olive oil until browned. In a bowl mix together the eggs, corn, tuna & cheese and add salt & pepper. Add to the fry pan over the potatos. Sprinkle shallots on top. Cook on low heat until mostly cooked & then pop into the griller to get the top browned.

I have never made one of these. I think one day soon i will have to give it ago.

your top recipe is very similar to mine but i add a bit of oil and some flour. And a little bit of garlic

I love the Sweet Potato & Spinach Frittata that Beth? posted in the Simple & Cheap thread! Except I now use plain potato instead of sweet potato; I also add some bacon and sometimes mushroom & capsicum as well!

Mine is very similar to yours Christy, I also pop in pumpkin and sundried tomatoes and hence more eggs. Also some parmansen cheese.

Default Picnic Food

Hello Lovelies!

Ok, so DH and I are going on a cycling picnic this weekend (weather permitting) and I need food ideas. Normally I would pre-cook some chicken wingettes and drumettes to take plus rolls, butter and some salad. But I'm not too keen on the whole chicken/listeria/pregnancy thing and I've gone off salad at the moment. So any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I HATE sandwhiches and there won't be a BBQ.

Thanks!
    MG

P.S. Got dessert covered with fudge and/or cupcakes.

What about mini quiches, or a cold fritatta?

Or do a antipasta thing without the deli meats. Sundried tomatoes, grilled capsicum & antichokes, olives, hard cheese. With some turkish bread and hummis - yummy!

For picnics I always cook up sausages (baked in the oven) before we go, wrap them in a few layers of foil, and then just eat them warm/cold with bread rolls. And we always take plain hard-boiled eggs too..........

Yummy ladies! Thanks! Sherie, I love the idea of quiche! I asked DH what he wants and his face lit up at quiche! So I guess I'm amakin' quiche tomorrow!

Good luck with the quiches and have a great weekend.

Default Ideas for DH's packed lunch?

NEVER thought I'd be asking this question LOL. Always vowed I'd never pack my husband's lunch.. but there ya go.. I'm asking.

Any ideas what I can prepare & pack for him? He likes hot meals (another reason I don't wanna do it.. and we've had these fights over me not preparing 2 meals each day on the weekends LOL). Anyway.. I'm thinking prepare a big batch of chunky soup and freeze it in portions.. or .. I dunno.. this is where I need suggestions?

He's not a sandwich guy - which is ok.. coz that would mean doing it each day! At least meals I can freeze

Please don't reply telling me I should make him make his own lunch. LOL. I'm being a good little wife and trying to save money. Now that he has to catch a train & tram to work.. the travel costs to work are way UP.. so we can save by packing lunch.

Thanks in advance guys!

Do you have a slow cooker ? When i use mine any leftovers go in small containers and into the freezer and my DH takes them to work the next day. I think i have a weeks worth of food for him at the monent.

Doing the soup sounds like a good idea. Will he eat salads ?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast