Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: smithy cant cook rice HELP me learn

barney Guest

Default smithy cant cook rice HELP me learn

ok girls im wanting to make a fried rice,the only thing is i cant cook rice and i havent got a rice cooker.
    every time i cook it ,it turns out crap either burnt and stuck to the bottom or its crunchy still (yum) i have no idea
    trust me i am the worst cook in this world ask my dh pmsl im not kidding
    girls please help and let me tell ya ive never tried fried rice so this will be interesting
    fire brigade will be at my house tonight lol

Before we got our rice cooker (yay Mel you still totally rock!) Shel used to swear by constant stirring. For the whole time. And to check, bite a grain of rice in half, if it had a white dot in the middle its not ready. If its clear, get a spoonful of rice out and have a chew, see if its an ok consistency for you.
    Long grain white rice generally takes 15-20 minutes from when boiling starts.

LMAO. Lots of people I know have trouble cooking rice.

I boil water in a big saucepan then when it's boiling add the rice. Bring it back to the boil then turn the element down so it's not at a rolling boil. I don't use the absorbtion method where you put the lid on, I always seem to burn it that way. The trick is to not put too much rice in the water or it goes gluggy and you don't want sticky fried rice! Make sure you stir it heaps while it's cooking. If it looks like i's getting too gluggy put boiling water from the kettle into the pot.

You sound like my sister, LOL

I boil the water first, with a little bit of salt (this makes it boil sooner and stops the rice sticking together), then put in the rice. I stir it straight away to loosen it up, and then stir it regularly to make sure it doesn't stick to the bottom.

Hope that helps

Oh yeah, and rise with cold water. You want the rice fully cooled before you add it to the pan, or it'll be sticky. And you dno't want sticky fried rice!

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

once you have cooked rice (i do recommend rice cooker) you need to leave the rice 24hrs to make fried rice.

Oh yeah, and rise with cold water. You want the rice fully cooled before you add it to the pan, or it'll be sticky. And you dno't want sticky fried rice!

Hi there

There are two tips I use:-1. cook the rice till it is nearly done but has a slight crunch to it, 2. cook your rice the day before if you can. The rice is better when it is not too moist, otherwise it tends to stick to the pan/ BBQ, and be a bit too sticky. There are some great fried rice recipes here some where I'll go look...

ooops double post
    Last edited by rosehannah; April 3rd, 2009 at 03:17 PM. Reason: double post

hey
    if you cant cook rice THE VERY BEST thing you could get would be a rice cooker, i got one for like 30 bucks, kambrook, all you do is put water and rice in, flick a switch and walk away... awesome if you have people over or screaming kiddlies. Sorry not much help with the fried rice thing... to cook normal rice boil a huge pot of water then add however much rice you want, one cup makes 3 cooked cups , stir OFTEN!! and basically taste test, when it seems ready take off and drain. Good Luck!!

To cook the rice I usually bring the water to the boil and then stir in the rice so it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot. I start with enough water to cover the rice. When the water is mostly all absorbed I check the rice to see if it is cooked enough. I then pour it into a colander to strain and pour over some cool water to stop the cooking process quicker but not enough to completely wash away the rice flavour.
    Last edited by rosehannah; April 3rd, 2009 at 03:01 PM.

kirsty_lee Guest

Ohh, I use to have the problem of not being able to cook rice. I was sooo bad at it. But then I learnt a method and have NEVER made a bad batch since, it comes out perfect everytime. Depending on how much rice you need here is my recipe for what I use for me and dp with some left over...

1/2 cup of rice, 1 cup of water.....

Bring it to boil, then turn it right down low, with the lid on and leave it there until it soaks up or "absorbs" all the water, then give it a taste.. if it needs a little bit more then just put the lid back on for a few mins best of luck hth

This is from one of my old posts:-

Fried rice cooked BBQ style: DH does it the best!

3/4 cook rice as usual and drain
    Arc up the BBQ and spread some oil
    Slice up meat eg. bacon, ham, chicken prawns, what ever you want our leave out if vego. fry up then put aside
    Dice up or use frozen veg. eg. carrot, peas, corn, capsicum, onion( What ever grabs your fancy),put aside
    Beat two eggs and fry like an omelette, put aside
    Spread out the rice on the BBQ fairly thinly so that the steam can escape
    Add the other ingredients and drissel with soy sauce or the like push around the plate for a bit to mix up, but in bowl to serve, yum!!

The idea is the same if you want to do it inside on the stove, we tend to make a bit of a mess so prefer to do it outside. The key is to spread the rice out thinly so that the steam can escape otherwise you end up with gluggy rice.

i do mine in the microwave - in a plastic pot thingy. Say 1 cup of rice, 2 cups of boiling water (well double the quantity of rice I am making), teaspoon of margarine, bit of salt and pepper or chicken stock cube. Then his the Rice button, tell it which one I am making, press the go button and walk away.

Might sometimes need a few more minutes at the end of the cycle, but I give it a good stir first to see what I reckon about the texture its gotten, and then maybe put it back in just for 2-4 minutes, on a normal cycle thingy.

I follow the directions on the rice packet, and it seems to turn out nicely each time.

1 cup of rice to 1 and a half cups of water.

Put in saucepan, bring to the boil then cover and simmer for 13 minutes. (i generally change the pot to a different element on the stove)
    Remove from the heat - stir and then cover again and let stand for 10 minutes.

Hope your fried rice turns out yummy!

I have never used a rice cooker as I like the way I was taught also have never used the absorbent method as this has always worked for me.
    Bring a pan of water to the boil, about 6 cups, I use water boiled from the kettle, add a pinch of salt then add cup & a half of rice and stir until it starts to boil again. Once boiling turn down to a med simmer and stir every now and again to stop sticking. I cook it about 10 minutes. Give it a good stir when cooked and run the rice, still in the pan, under hot water until water runs clearer. Drain into a colander and run under cold water giving it a shake as you do this.
    If you need the rice for fried rice that night just keep moving the rice around as this will help it dry out a bit.
    Hope you have fun trying all the suggestions.

I put the rice in an empty saucepan and then I add the water, I use my finger as a measuring stick. I have my finger tip on the top of the rice and add water up to the first knuckle. I put it on high until it is boiing and then turn to low. When it looks like porridge in the pot it is done. Rinse with boiling water from the kettle, catch it in the saucepan and re rinse.

barney Guest

oh girls thank you soo very much
    you have really helped and even giving me fried rice recipe THANK YOU
    ill let you all know how i get on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast