Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the best meal that you cook??

oh thanks for reminding me, i will have to make the veg lasagne for Good Friday!

I'd be interested in the chickpea & pumpkin curry recipe

kerry Guest

Rayray makes the best Chocolate Brownies... OMG they are TDF!!!!!! Salivating at the thought and her vege lasagne really is something special.
    Last edited by kerry; March 15th, 2007 at 02:11 PM.

kerry Guest

Oh Lindsay, bet you were the youngest child.

I have a recipe for a Ham and noodle Fritata that uses 2 minute noodles and is quick and easy. I'll hunt it out for you, its one of those things you can't stuff up and is actually more impressive than it sounds, quick, easy and just serve with some salad... also nice cold like a slice.

mmmm so many yummy sounding things!!

MG, I make a yummy potato and leek soup also...I love it!

I have 2 which get commented on...first being a mince casserole type of dish which has vegies and pasta in it...doesn't sound like much, but it's yummy and everyone loves it.

Second is lamb with lime marmalade and garlic - which I serve up with mashed potato, brocolli & cauliflower with cheese sauce.

Both so easy and fairly quick to make.

kerry Guest

Ok... I'll hunt out my quick food book and chuck some nice easy things on here for you... Fritattas are great because they are really easy to make but look impressive.

Just a trick... get one of those Chilli con carne flavour packets, and make the mince but then serve it like nachos... super easy, super quick and what guy doesn't like nice hot nachos. Its not something you could have every night but always good to have on the nights you can't be bothered... haven't really got time.

ozzie: i would LOVE the mince casserole recipe

Jelvie here is how I make pesto:

Put washed and dried basil leaves into blender. We grow our own basil and I put in as much as will fit into my blender. Also add handful of roasted pine nuts and tiny bit of salt/pepper. Blend adding small amounts of good quality olive oil until its kind of like a paste.

Then I freeze in ice cube trays or small containers. Easy and delish!

yep so easy! And if you had a few semi sundried tomatoes and some parmesan cheese...its to die for!!

Oh yeah I forgot about the parmesan cheese, I sometimes add that too. Haven't tried sundrieds but may have to now. You can also add black olives if you like them but I haven't tried that.

with the tomatoes-- it makes it go so much further so it makes heaps to freeze

i looooveee my strawberry cupcakes, so does everyone who has them!!!

recipe please!

Danni (and anyone else who is interested) here is the chicken recipe.

I use chicken breast fillets (abt 1kg) but you could use thigh fillets I guess.

Cut the chicken into strips abt 2cm wide and whatever length.

Put the chicken into plain flour and then into an egg wash then into the seasoned breadcrumbs and cook in fry pan with some oil. If you want just colour the chicken in the pan and finish cooking in oven - 180 degrees.

Seasoned Breadcrumbs

I use Krummies multigrain breadcrumbs - gives crunchy texture but also works with ordinary breadcrumbs with some crushed cornflakes.

Add some Masterfoods Piri Piri seasoning (chilli flakes, lemon peel, garlic) Now this is hot spicy so use sparingly - as you get used to it you will use more!!!

And sometimes I add a small amount of grated parmesan cheese.

Deosn't really need any salt/pepper - that is up to you!

ENJOY!!!

I also make a mean chilli pasta - a great fresh light dinner great for Sunday dinners or as an accompanient to the chicken or as side dish at BBQs. I will post it later if anyone wants.

Hmmm - will try and remember what i do for the Mango, Macadamia and Chicken Filos.
    Don't have quantities i kind of play it by ear.

Light thickened cream
    Chicken breast or thigh
    1/2 -1 small onion - finely diced
    1 clove garlic - crushed
    Tinned mango (i just keep adding diced pieces as i go til it looks like enough)
    Finely chopped macadamias (or other nuts eg pistachios, walnuts, almonds..)
    Cracked pepper and seasalt to taste
    Filo pastry - light

Fry up onion, garlic, chicken..til browned. Slowly add cream (prob half a cup or so - depending on quantity - pretty much just til ingreds are covered and creamy). Add mango, nuts, salt & pepper. Add more cream if necessary - and a splash of white wine never goes astray either! Don't let it get too runny though. can add some breadcrumbs to thicken. Allow to cool in pan to thicken.

Use about 6 layers of filo pastry and cut into rectangles. Spoon cooled ingreds onto one end of pastry and roll up. Fold up ends.

Bake in mod oven until golden. Enjoy!

cupcake recipe

follow the following for normal cupcakes
    2 cups s/r flour sifted
    3/4cup castor sugar
    3/4cup milk
    125g butter melted cooled
    2 eggs beaten
    1 tsp vanilla essence

preheat oven to 200
    combine flour and sugar in bolw, make well in center, add milk butter eggs ansd vanilla to flour mixture, using large metal spoon stir gently to combine, spoon into muffin tin lined with patty cases bake for 12-15 mins

for strawberry cupcakes, reduce milk to 1/2 cup and fold through 250g of hulled chopped strawberries bake as above
    i ice with normal icing but add strawberry essence, yummo!!

Um, with the pesto, are you forgetting the garlic????? I luuuuuurve garlic, couldn't have pesto without it! Love the pesto with parmesan too mmmmmmmm.

Some faves here are

Spaghetti with prosciutto (Bill's)
    Veal Saltimbocca
    Crunchy pork (can be chops or steaks)

Anything chocolate!
    Choc chip bread and butter pudding with butterscotch sauce (yuuuuum!)
    Caramel Banana SS pudding (Bill's)
    Nigella's alcoholic hot chocolate (not a meal I know, but any hot choccie with seven ingredients has to be great - and it really is!)

I made Christy's banana choc chip cookies this week and they have been a HUGE hit with DH!

Oh, and Lindsay, good on you for learning to cook (I hope your MIL is nice LOL!). The trick is not to be scared. Just follow the recipe, and you should be fine. Eventually, after practice, you get better at not needing the recipes so much. And remember.....we have all have disasters in the kitchen! It's good to have a laugh about them down the track Oh, and if your MIL is Italian, get her to teach you to make gnocchi one day.......yum!

Quote Originally Posted by Danni View Post
    ozzie: i would LOVE the mince casserole recipe
    Danni, I tried to email you but it bounced back. Drop me a line at [email protected] and I'll forward it on to you

Hmmm:

Fried Rice
    Home Made Pizzas (fresh dough from breadmaker)
    Congee
    Eggs Benedict with Smoked Salmon & Hollandaise
    Pink Salad
    French Apple Tea Cake
    Butter Icing for Cakes & Cupcakes
    Malteser Cookies
    Chocolate Fudge Cake with Ganache cream filling and White Chocolate Buttercream

Lots of things but I can't remember and its too late...

*hugs*
    Cailin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast