Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What is the best meal that you cook??

Quote Originally Posted by Danni View Post
    it freezes perfectly!!!! will email you now
    Got it. Thanks heaps. I suppose you have added a few of the serves to your own "after bub" meal stash!

ETA - aah - i read your ticker wrong. i thought you was 39 weeks, acutally 39days to go!

i wish i was 39 weeks!

U nearly there. I cant believe myself in 14 weeks i'm going to finally be a mummy.
    i wish i was 34 weeks

Hi Cass. It's pretty simple to make, but it is a part of the recipe for the meatloaf, so i will type out the whole recipe only becuase you add the sauce and baste it one the meatloaf and it reduces a bit blah blah blah to get the right consistancy.....here you go.

Meatloaf with BBQ Sauce

Ingredients for meatloaf:
    500gm sausage mince
    500gm minced steak
    1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
    2 onions - finely chopped (you could also cook them first for a different flavour)
    2 tsp curry powder
    1 tbs parsley - finely chopped (or dried)
    1 egg - lightly beaten
    salt & pepper
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 cup water

Method:
    Combine all ingredients except for milk & water into a large bowl and mix until well combined. Mix milk and water together and gradually add to meat mixture, beating until mixture is smooth and all liquid added.

Shape meat into a loaf and place in a greased baking dish (roasting pan). Bake in a moderate oven for 30 mins. Remove from oven & carefully pour off excess fat. Pour BBQ sauce over meatloaf and return to oven. Bake for a further 45 mins, basting frequently with sauce. Serve hot or cold.

BBQ Sauce Ingredients:
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup tomato sauce
    1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
    2 tbs vinegar - i use brown
    1 tsp instant coffee powder
    30gm butter
    1 tbs lemon juice
    1/4 cup brown sugar

Method:
    Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring slowely to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 mins. Enjoy!!!

I sometimes add a grated carrot to the meatloaf mixture as an added flavour, but my recipe doesn't have it written down, but i'm sure it's in there....oh i can't remember now and i've just transfered all my recipes to a book, and thrown out the bits of paper i had recipes scribbled on....oh well. Try both and see what you like best... Also, it will seem quite a sloppy mix when it's all finished. You can add a few more breadcrumbs if you thing it's too sloppy, but once it starts cooking it's fine and it stays nice and moist once cooked.

I also like to make a double batch of the sauce coz 1 batch will thicken up and coat the meatloaf with only a tiny bit left over, but a double batch will coat it nicely and leave you with enough to pour over once you've served it. And it is soooooo yummy cold the next day on sandwiches!. And it great to freeze too.....Hope you like it.

Shan - i never made meatloaf before, does it need to go in a tin the exact size of the raw loaf, or, is any tin ok, and it holds it shape?

ohhh i wanna make it now but I dont have any sausage mince

You want to put it in a tin with room all around it for the sauce. I generally use a baking dish that i put my roasts in, so yeah, it holds it's shape. Try it...it's soooo yum, and i bet your DH will love it...

I serve mine with creamy mashed potatoes and 'glazed carrots and onions'. I'll give you that recipe coz it's yum too!

Glazed Carrots and Onions
    Serves 4-6
    Ingredients:
    500gm carrots - peeled and sliced (rounds or angled - not sticks)
    3 small onions - or 1 large - sliced (don't dice them)
    salt & pepper
    1 tbs brown sugar
    2tsp cornflour
    3 tbs water
    90gm butter
    1 1/2 tbs lemon juice

Method:
    Cook carrots and onions, salt & pepper in saucepan or microwave and drain.

Whilst they are cooking combine brown sugar, cornflour, water, butter & lemon juice in a small saucepan and stir over low heat until butter melts, mixture boils and thickens.

Pour over carrots & onions and toss lightly to combine...

This is yummy, and i hate eating onion that hasn't been browned first, but this i love...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234