Thread: What to wear?

Default What to wear?

We're going to a friend's wedding in June and i have no idea what to wear. I've never been to one before except my own and i wasn't really looking at what people were wearing...

Do you have any idea of what type of dress code they are having? Formal, Semi Formal, ****tail, neat/dressy casual? You can't go wrong with a well-cut dress or suit for either of those and you can dress it up further by adding accessories etc.

No idea what type of dress code, they didn't mention.

I would like to wear a nice evening dress but am worried about looking 'too' formal, IYKWIM?

Most weddings that I have been to recently, whether I dress up or down, there are always people more dressed up or dressed down IYKWIM!!!

You could probably get a sense of what the dress code by the location of the reception! If it is at a reception centre, winery, golf course, then you would be able to get away with an evening dress. A beach or park location, then maybe a ****tail type shorter dress would be better, or even pants with dressy heels and a nice top.
    I think that weddings are too few and far between and I love getting dressed up and glammed up so go for it!

What if you wear something more casual to the ceremony eg a nice skirt and top (depending on weather of course!) and then you can suss out what others are wearing, and change into something more formal for the reception if you feel under-dressed.

I quite like the 2-outfit concept, as it's handy for hot unpleasant weather, allowing you to feel refreshed for the reception!

I go to lots of weddings and always wear a knee length, or just under the knee dress. Not too long and formal, not too short and tarty. Team it with a nice wrap or pashmina if it gets chilly...

Myer always has nice dresses....

What about colours? Are there any colours that i shouldn't wear or does it not matter?

Some people don't wear black to weddings, but again these days I think at every wedding I have been to someone was wearing black. The other one is white or cream! I would steer clear of anything that looks too "bridal" but other than that go for your life!!
    The last wedding I went to I wore a bright pink and orange (with other colours!) maxi dress, that went to the floor and I loved it! It was flowy and bright and made me feel happy just wearing it which is great on such a happy day!
    Good luck hun!

I agree no white, cream, ivory etc, too bride-ish and you don't want to appear to upstage her! I often wear black, or navy, it's common place at weddings, plus it's very slimming and no one can tell if you spill your red wine in your lap!

A nice dress, make sure your comfortable in it, or a nice pair of pants and top. Semi- dressy is how I normally go.

I think Black dressed with another colour is fine, maybe not all black though.

Again, agree with the no white, cream, ivory etc.

I would be sussing out from the invitation what colour they are having, or if the bride is willing to let you know, what colour are the Bridesmaid dresses, I would stick clear of colours they are using for the wedding.