Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Slow Cooker Chatter #16

Help!

Tried the "Creamy Chicken Stew" which I think was in chatter #2 or 3?
    But the liquid all seperated... so it all looks erky. Tastes good still, but ...

Any ideas?

I mixed the plain flour with the evap milk properly, and I did use chicken stock cubes (x4) to make up my 1l of chicken stock so may that have been it?

sorry kaz...no idea!

I have a whole chook out ready for tomorrow in the sc! first time ive used it in ages

I am putting in some stock and some tomato soup in the bottom ready to serve with rice

Ok has anyone ever done cheese fondue in their slow cooker? Or anyone have a good recipe? DHs birthday is next month and we are having a party and he wants me to make fondue in the slow cooker. I have found one recipe, but it has 2 cups of white wine and no other liquid, which is think is a bit much especially since our kids will probably want to have some too.

I will do a net search but I thought I would check in here first - can anyone help??

BTW I did corned beef in the slow cooker last night for the first time and it was delicious! DH wants it to be part of our regular rotation now.

hmmm no idea on the fondue front.... all my fondue recipes have heaps of wine in them, but none are specifically for a SC as well.

I am doing a leek, potato and bacon soup in the SC for tonight...mmmmm

OK need some help please! Bec???

You know the recipe for the guiness pies? I want to make pies but DH and I dont like beer. Do you think we would still like it?

What if we didnt include the guiness...would it taste crap?

LOL yeah it would taste crap

Its not like drinking beer, the flavour is different its like how you can have wine in food but not like the flavour of wine...

Do the beer it will taste good I promise

*hugs*
    Cailin

do i have to use guiness or any beer?

I don't think you'd get the same gravy flavour with normal beer. It would have to be a stout of some kind.

*hugs*
    Cailin

ok culinary queen! I will try it this week....now to find the recipe!

LOL @ culinary queen. Ya dag I'm sure it will be super tasty and you'll be adding it to your regular menu...

*hugs*
    Cailin

Ok i cant find it

Please help me!!

Ok, Im just popping in to say I am FINALLY trying the corned beef. I've had it on all day and it smells SO good. I put some water, balsamic, onion and brown sugar. I will be making Beckibee's yummy white sauce (with mustard). Can't wait to try it, I've been meaning to do this for ages. I've never done corned beef before!! Will come back tomorrow and report on results!!
    xoxo

I've got to get back in to using mine it's been in the cupboard since we moved 6months ago. When i was pg with Eleanor the smell when using it made me sick so i stopped using it also i have to work out where to put it in my kitchen when it's on as my kitchen is a on the small side.

I'll have to find some low fat recipes to use in it.

heya ladies,

I too have a slow cooker and I love it in the winter time, I am a huge fan of the good ol' comfort foods in winter,

so I will be poping in here a bit from now on, only prob I have I guess which is not really a problem it just limits me from using it to much, DH works away for 3 weeks at a time and I dont eat meat so all I need to cook for is the 2 kids and myself and usually slow cookers make so much, maybe I will start freezing the leftovers for when DH is home??? Do you all freeze your lefovers if so what is good to freeze and what is not so good and how do you defrost and reheat them??????

ok DH is home in a week and he loves corned beef so where do I fint the thread with the how to on that one???

Thanks girls

Amy-- the SC is perfect for making big batches and freezing.

I freeze them into chinese containers, defrost in the fridge or microwave and either reheat in the microwave or on the stove.

Everything freezes well...although I dont like freezing rice or pasta

The corned beef was DELISH!! Even Dh loved it. My eldest girl wouldn't touch it and Coco spat it out, but she's being extremely fussy at the mo. So Im saying big success and will be doing it again. YUM YUM. I will also be using it more often too, I often forget about my SC until I see the thread here on BB! xo

oh great thanks Danni, I figure if I make a couple of meals in it a week for the kids and freeze the rest then when DH is home and we go out for the day I wont have to make something unhealthy and quick or get take away as I will have a supply of good food in the freezer, yup I think thats wha i am going to do for sure sounds like a good plan.

Meg LOL at the girls not eating it, gotta love kids reactions to different foods it took so so long for my DS to finaly like corned beef and he still pulls a face each time its served I just have to remind him what it is LOL, he was such a fussy little boy and still is but is slowly getting there.

Hi girls

Got a SC for my b'day the other week and am having lots of fun starting to cook stuff. Have so far made a lamb tagine and french onion soup (both from the Sunbeam recipe book) and Tigergirl's gooey choc cake. The family was here for that one so no leftovers.

A couple of questions about using the SC -

What's the best way to use the auto setting? Most recipes give a number of hours on either low or high. I understand that auto self regulates but am not sure of the general principle of how this works and how to use it.

Do you use less stock/liquid when making casserole-type dishes than you would if cooking in the oven/on the stove? The recipes I've got seem to use much less than 'conventional' recipes. Do you cover the meat or does that not matter? Does it depend on how much you've got in there or the size?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to using lots of your recipes and hopefully contributing some of my own!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast