Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Slow Cooker Recipes, Tips & Slow Cooker Chatter #17

Caro, this is what Cailin posted ages ago...

Slow Cooker Lasagne!!!!! – Posted by Cailin

Thats right you heard it. The method is when you make spag bog make 3 times the batch you normally would and store the other 2 lots in ice cream containers in the freezer, then on another day when you haven't got much to do using either a round or oval pyrex dish make up lasagne with one of the batches of premade bolognaise, and white sauce pasta & cheese, the recipe that I was given calls for instant lasagne sheets but I am inquiring if you can use fresh coz that would be easier given the shape of the dish (ie trimming) will edit this once I have the details Then you freeze it (as far as I can tell you don't bake it first...I am finding that out too and will add later on LOL) for 2 days, after that take it out of the dish and place it in a plastic bag and store in the freezer till you need it. Then when you do need it place it in the crockpot frozen, and cook for about 4 hrs and its done! How good is that, so it means that you can stock your freezer with home made frozen lasagne for those emergencies, days where you didn't get any sleep the night before or when you just get home with new bubs!

I am definitely giving it a go. But basically she said she she always keeps 1 batch of bolognaise and 1 frozen lasagne in her freezer at all times so if she needs it its there. And you can also make your bolognaise in the CP so if anyone wants the recipe for that let me know and I'll post that too

Ok, here's the pork chop recipe I promised yesterday -

Sweet Pork with Apples and Prunes
    Brown 2kg forequarter pork chops (fat trimmed) in 1 tblspn olive oil. Transfer to plate. Add another tblspn of oil to pan and add 3 med red onions cut into thick wedges and cook until softened. Add 4 med green apples cored and cut into quarters and toss in pan, stirring frequently until apple begins to colour. Place in bottom of SC. Add chops, 1 cup chicken stock, 250g pitted prunes and 1 tblspn fresh sage. Cook on high 3-4 hrs or low 6-8 hours. Season to taste and serve with a sprinkle of fresh sage.
    (From the Sunbeam SC book).

Thanks for the sweet and sour suggestion for my diced pork. I don't think I've ever cooked S&S so will give it a go.

I made a lamb recipe last night that I saw on BH&G last Friday. I did it on the stove in the cast iron pot (love my le creusets as much as my SC ) but will try it again soon in the SC.

Does anyone use a timer on their SC?
    I recall discussion of it a while back, anyway, how long is safe to leave meat in there before it turns on, IYKWIM?

Could I set it all up at 7am before I go to work, and have it turn on at noon, or is that too long to have the meat sitting around?

Hey Blackbird!

Was the lamb dish nice? I saw it on BH&G the other night and it sure looked darn tasty!

Could almost smell it through the telly!

Please let me know!!

Kelli - it was very tasty. I sometimes do a container of meat dishes for my BiL 'cos SiL is a vego and he doesn't eat meat that often. I made up a container and thought, nope, I'm keeping it in the freezer for me for when DH isn't home for dinner.

Thanks for that blackbird! I'll have to try it out next week.

Rayray -I was having that exact conversation the other day with my SiL who has just got into SCing too. We weren't sure but maybe chunks of red meat (not mince) that was not browned would be OK in the winter. I wouldn't feel too comfortable about chicken, pork or mince as it takes such a while to get up to a high temp to kill any bugs. I'll be interested to hear what some of the SC gurus have to say...

Thanks Blackbird!

Can I ask a huge favour??? Would you mind posting the recipe???

I would really really appreciate it!!

I've put almost frozen meat in the SC on delay timer. So I take it out of the freezer as I'm going to bed & put it in the fridge and in the morning pop it all in & turn it on later in the morning or at lunchtime. I figure I would defrost it on the benchtop...

Rachael I think if you put frozen meat into it, you'd be fine. I've also started mine at 7am & just left it on the warmer setting after it was cooked, so it would just be warming for the 2 hours at the end of the day before I got home.

I've got something going in mine now, been aaaages! I had sausages so did a google to see what I could come up with. I modified a recipe I found, it was basically, slice up some veg (potato, sweet potato, carrot, onion) & layer them, then put the sausages on top & cover with a vegetable soup (I used pumpkin & sweet potato, cos that's what I had). That's pretty well it. It said that there can be quite a lot of liquid when it's done, so I'm going to use that to cook up some rice or cous cous to go with it

Oh thats sounds yum Sarah, you will have to let us know how it turns out!

Caro.... this is a recipe I found in the recipe thread... I havent tried it though...

Lasagne (serves 6) – Posted by Debbie Lee
    Ingredients
    225g Lasagne
    25 g butter
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 clove of garlic, crushed
    550g mince
    2 tsp oregano
    salt to taste
    Ground pepper to taste
    4 tblsp tomato paste

4 tblsp cheese sauce:
    25g butter
    25g flour
    300ml milk
    100g grated cheese
    Parmesan cheese for topping

Grease the inside of the SC and preg-heat on high. Boil the lasagne sheets in lightly salted water for 4-5 minutes to soften, then dry with kitchen paper. Heat the butter in a large pan and gently saute' the onion and the garlic until transparent. Add the mince and oregano and cook for a further 3-4 minutes, stirring well. Season with the salt and pepper and add the cheese. Arrange a layer of mince mixture in the SC, followed by a layer of pasta, then cheese sauce. Continue doing this, finishing with a layer of cheese .
    Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top and cook on low for 4-6 hours.

In regards to lots of liquid, do you use cornflour to thicken it up?I I'm making a casserole today and can already tell it's going to be quite runny, but I'm after a nice thick, hearty casserole! Any tips?!

Thats what I do Ashlee... but I use normal flour cause i dont have cornflour... I am sure cornflour is better though LOL

Any idea on how much I should use and when? Like do I just put a little in at the end and see what happens? I have no idea lol

I would add it in bit by bit about 1/2 hour before serving.... you can always add more to thicken it if needed.... just remember it doesnt always thicken up straight away either... might pay to add some then wait a bit before adding more IYKWIM...

Good luck...

Thanks Mitch, will let you know how it goes

I've had my SC for just over a week now and I must say "how did I survive without it". I've done a roast chicken, silverside, stew and rice pudding and everything has turned out great.

I was just wondering what other sweet things I can cook in it, I'm going to try a rice custard tomorrow and have bread and butter pudding on the cards, would just like some other ideas.

hugs xoxo

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast