Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pancakes, Pikelets and Scones

mmmmm i agree!! thats sounds to die for! made me drool just reading it!!

take care
    Lesley

Melinda Guest

Default Pikelets recipe?

I really should have one of these I know, and I'm sure I did, but I can't seem to find it. Can someone please post one for me?

TIA.....

I usually just do a pancake one & make them smaller, I didn't know there was a difference 8-[

Melinda Guest

Thanks Shannon!

I noramlly cheat and just buy one of those bottles where you just add water, shake and cook :-$

Melinda Guest

Is that for pikelets or pancakes? Since I didn't have a recipe at the time, I actually looked in the supermarket for a pikelet shakey thingo myself but could only see pancake ones.

Melinda - I dont' think I've ever seen a shake 'n' pour piklet mix myself. I just use the pancake one and make them small!

mooshie Guest

hi melinda

sorry i also cheat but i buy the ones already made can't remember the brand (same packaging as the crumpets i think) ohh they are so yummy lightly toasted with maple syrup ohh i think i need to look in the cupboard now.

Jen Schuster Guest

yum

you girls are making me so hungry. I have cravings for picklets now ;-)

Default soft and fluffy pikelets

Hi all,

In my experience pikelets are smaller than pancakes with sugar in the mixture and a thicker batter.
    If you add a little lemon juice or sour milk just before cooking the pikelets will turn out really soft and fluffy, has to do with the bicarb reacting to the acid.

Joy

Melinda Guest

OK, now get ready for a really silly question.........

What do you put on pikelets?! LOL

It's been such a long time since I've had them and I can only ever remember having butter/marg or some vegemite on them LOL. What else can you put on them??

Jacob seemed to enjoy them the other day....well I guess he did. He pretty much destroyed 2 of them as well as rubbing them over his face and in his hair ROFL!!!

Not healthy at all I know but

Whipped cream & rasp/strawberry jam ...mmmmmm

Might have to convince Dh to make me some.... he makes the best pikelets & pancakes... mmmmm

Melinda Guest

How long would pikelets keep for? Obviously Jacob isn't going to eat an entire batch (perhaps I might though.....eeeks!). Can they just be stored in an airtight container for a few days perhaps?

Melinda Guest

Good idea Shannon! Thanks! *throws a freshly baked pikelet to Shannon to munch on*

Yep pikelets freeze really well, I freeze them, mini muffins etc whatever I bake in batches for Paris I try and bake. The other thing is too, if you don't want to use lots of freezer bags just grab some go between and wrap them up that way they don't all stick together and you can pack more into one bag.

You can also add things like mashed banana, apple or even blueberries or sultana's to pikelets if you want to pack in some extra goodness, then you might only need to scrape on a bit of butter or even serve them plain and they'll go down like a treat.

Goodluck!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Melinda Guest

Thanks for that Cai! I just hate to see wastage!!!

I do the same as you and usually bake up something for Jacob once a week and try and do something that can be frozen. So thanks for the tip, I'll definitely freeze them.

LOL Shannon....

Default Veggie Pikelets

I made these for Olivia and my neices yesterday for a treat.........went down a treat............they do contain sugar, but don't taste sweet?

Veggie Pikelets

Ingredients:

1 small zucchini, peeled and grated
    1 small carrot, peeled and grated
    1 tablespoon corn
    1 tablespoon frozen peas
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1 cup SR flour
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 egg
    1 cup of milk

Method:

~ Cook the grated carrot, zuchinni and peas and corn in the orage juice over a low heat
    ~ Sift the flour into a bowl, and make a well in the centre
    ~ Add the egg and beat gradually
    ~ Add the milk and beat into a thick batter
    ~ Add the cooked veggies
    ~ Heat a frypan
    ~ Using a little oil for each batch, drop spoonfuls of the batter into the pan.
    ~ When bubbles appear, flip each pikelet and cook on the other side
    ~ Serve warm with butter, or by themselves.

Melinda Guest

I'll definitely give those a go!!!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast