... 2101112131422 ...

thread: 10wks pg with twins need some advice

Jun 2008
    Adelaide

Smile

Thanks Helen you are amazing I was just reading your ticker 4 kids and 2 are twins how are you going, busy I imagine. You will have to give us some pointers not sure on what at the moment as I am not sure on what to expect besides busy busy busy.

Feb 2009
    Brisbane

hi lovelies

i wrote a big post yesterday and somehow managed to delete the entire thing. Balancing a laptop on my tummy while lying down obviously isn't the greatest idea I've ever had

I was too dispirited to start again!

Bella, we have 2 cots and 2 bassinettes actually. They'll start off in the bassinettes - so they can be in with us. They're on wheels, so if one isn't settling, we can pop them in separate rooms so that the sleepy one isn't disturbed.

I have really looked into co-sleeping and separate sleeping, and it's just so hard. There are compelling arguments for each aren't there. So, I asked my parents. My sisters co-slept because mum and dad just couldn't bear to separate them. And they slept well together, and soothed each other apparently a lot. But, when it came time to sleep them separately (as it inevitably does) it apparently set them back a lot. They stopped sleeping through, they disturbed each other a lot, got really cry-y, and it took months to rectify. So if I can be tough enough, I'm going to separate them for sleeping right from the word go. Hopefully they'll feed and play together, so they'll still have lots of time together.

I'm a bit of a routine girl too I think. I just can't imagine how I'll cope if they're not on the same schedule. My dad was telling me that after the twins came home from hosp (they were born at 30 weeks and had actually stopped growing prior to that (one was only 1 pound, the other 1.5 so they spent a good while in special care) my mum got really sick with cervical cancer and had to go for chemo and surgery, so he was left alone to look after 3 of us under 2! Apparently the twins weren't on the same schedule and as soon as one went the sleep, the other was up needing feeding, then as soon as she was down, the other was back up again. This apparently went on for 48 hours straight and dad thought he was going to lose his mind. So I'm going to try to get into a routine!!! I need the small remaining bit of my mind I reckon

Hi Helen - thanks for popping in. Yes, we need your advice!!!

Lots of hugs and keep baking ladies. Azz, special big hugs for you. I hope you hold them in for ages more!!!

Jenxx

Jun 2008
    Adelaide

Smile

Hi Twin mummies,

Jenc how annoying I wish I could see your tummy I can't imagine my tummy at 30wks lets hope I make it that far to see it. You have some really good tips I remember you telling me a whil back about you have a baby doll when you sisters came. I have done the samething for my DD and she loves it the only thing is she always wants itto be naked She loves putting the clothes abc on but the strips hr down again and if we try to put the clothes back on she loses it little poo bum. I am also a routine girl it worked with my DD and she has always been a good sleeper, unfortnately her routine has been put out of wak lately but she has been really good. My DH said everytime the park up at the hosi she always says mama how cute. I will hopefully trying toput the twins into a routine as well but we will see how we go.
    Hows your bed resting going are you aloud up and about yet.

Hi Bella hope you are travelling along nicely putting your feet up when you can. Ive been on ebay today just trying to get a couple of things I won a swaddle me wrap for $15 and its brand new it retails at around $35 just need to found 1 more.

AFM Im not sure if I told any of you but we are trying to find anoher house to move to before september (rental) we live in a town house at the moment and its a pain to get up and down the stairs. I have been looking for a house and telling my DH to go check them out my poor DH is going to be busy. Mum is going to help pack up the house and hopefully my BIL can give him a hand to move the heavy stuff. It has helped past the time in here. I have my scan at 11 on Monday I really really cant wait

Take of yourselves

Apr 2008
    melbourne

Hi Ladies,

Quick update from me.... Had scan today = all great. Growing nicely twin 2 still behind his brother but growing nicely, fluid levels good. Twin 1 was 540g in the 80%tile and twin 2 is 430g in the 25%tile (they only get concerned when in 10%tile), both are head down - hence all the pelvic pressure i have been having. He was a little concerned about my cervix so had to do an internal scan as well but said it is long and closed but babies heads are very near it. Fundal height was 30weeks!!!!
    All in all i'm very happy = it was the first scan that no one said anything to concern me so very happy. Scan and check up in a fortnight.

Ohh and i was feeling movement consistantly for about 15min before i could even feel it from the outside so i think it won't be to long til it's regular and DH can feel as well.

Gotta go in a rush to go out.... sorry.

Glad to hear your both traveling along ok. Rest up and i'll catch up later.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxBella

Jan 2006
    Brisbane

Hi Twin Mums. Hope you are all traveling along nicely.

For me routine was everything. We didn't start one for the first little while but then I got the twins into a routine and it really works well for us. They eat at the same time and sleep at the same time and I have my sanity because I know when we are going to do everything. Routine doesn't work for everyone though, but my kids love it and I think they are very happy and content babies because there is no surprises for them, they know what to expect.

Bella you twins difference in weight sounds just like mine. Our twin 1 (Ryder) was always smaller than twin 2 (Mackenzie) we were having quite a number of growth scans to make sure he was still growing because it was so obvious how much smaller he was, but he continued to grow at a steady rate (although slower than Mackenzie) so we were able to carry to 38 weeks. when they were born he had caught up to her and there wasn't much difference in the weight at all (6lb4 and 6lb7) Even now at 14 months though he is still the smaller twin. Mackenzie now has probably a good 1kg on Ryder and she is slightly taller then him too so nothing has changed

Jun 2008
    Adelaide

Bella thats great your scan went well 100grms between the 2 is good. Yah for the movements hope your DH can feel them soon.

Hi ktgirl I hope I can get mine into a routine like your 2 I think it would make my life that little bit easier.

rhyb Guest

No new news just popping in. Had a scan in Brisbane at 16 weeks and now they know my triplets are all in individual sacks I can have them at my local hospital provided I make it to term. Ive got all little girls on board so my poor DS hasnt got a hope. Im starting to get Braxton Hicks which worries me a little cz Im hoping they can hang on til 34 weeks.
    Tomorrow were going to a multiple births family fun day so i can meet other multiple mummys and DS can have a play. Hope everyones well

Feb 2009
    Brisbane

hello ladies!

hope you're all having a lovely weekend. Azz, how are you holding up hon?

i'm actually starting to get used to all this bed rest. I try not to think about what's happening to my poor muscle tone (!) but it just feels so wrong when I do move about that I am pretty content lying here knowing I'm doing the right thing.

Had to go to dr earlier and just the walk from the car to the clinic and sitting in the waiting room caused so much pelvic pressure that I actually started to get a bit worried. So really just reinforces that bed is where I need to be.

The woman who is going to be in my job for the year I have off flew up from Syd to spend Thurs and Fri with me for a handover, and although I tried to stay lying, I did end up sitting a fair bit (it's a bit hard to chat, look at files, and appear professional from a lying down position!!) and I paid the price on Thurs and Fri nights. Lots and lots of tightenings - prob 6-8 an hour for quite a long time. Really uncomfortable too, so again, another lesson!!

ktgirl, thanks for popping in. It's so nice to see people who carried their twins to 38 weeks. Everyone says "oh, they'll come early", and I know they might, but I also know equally that they might not! 37 is full term apparently for twins, but my ob keeps telling me that in Australia twins on average come at 35 wks. Either way, not long to go I suppose! But I tell you what, the pregnancy has absolutely flown by until now. Now each day feels like a week. Partly because I'm on bedrest I suppose, partly because I'm just getting so uncomfortable with this belly, and partly because I want to meet them so badly!!!!

take care lovelies
    jenx

rhyb Guest

My best friend had twins and they didnt arrive til 38 weeks

Feb 2009
    Brisbane

ooh yay! I like those stories. thx!!

Jan 2006
    Brisbane

Yep you always hear the stories about twins coming early but it is not always the case. I was always a little worried about it but never happened for me.

Also my twins were born at 38 weeks by c/s because of the way they were laying but there was no signs of labour before that so who knows how long they could have stayed in there. They were definitely holding on to the end. And because of that my babies were able to come straight up to the room with me and had no time in special care at all. So it is not always bad stories out there girls. Just hold on as long as you can!!! (although I looked like an elephant by 38 weeks I was so massive )

I hope you are all feeling well. Belly rubs to everyone!!

Oct 2005

Azzrenae-Hehehe you cope with what you get given. I am sure you will be fine. Someone else on here actually had her twins as no.s 4 and 5.

Rhyb-Wow triplets, I was so happy to read that they all have seperate sacs. That must have been a huge weight off your shoulders.

I have a book here, cant remember what it is called, and it is in the room with my sleeping twins. It was invaluable to read prior to having them. Has a big emphasis on BF and what to expect if bubs come early, setting routines and not setting them, coping when you have other children etc etc. It is not just based on twins, also helps for BF patterns for higher order multiples. When the twins wake, I will try and find it and let you guys know. I found it great to read and re-read when they were born, and it really helped me when they were born early, plus I had more knowledge to ask more questions.

Take care ladies, and rest those legs!

Apr 2009
    adelaide

Hi azza

just noticed u are from adelaide, its great to find other mummies and mummies to be on the threads from SA

Congrats on the pregnancy, hope everything is travelling along well and u are getting rest, altho i know from experience when u have a little one already, rest is hard to come by.

Im pretty sure i read somewhere that u are expecting boys? We have history of twins on both sides of family but so we have only been blessed with 2 girls, 5 and 2.

Where are u birthing?

Good Luck with everything

kim

Apr 2008
    melbourne

Azza - how did your scan go? I hope your going home today. xx

AFM - i ended up in hospital yesterday with viral gastro - they initially thought it may be listeria infection but thankfully not. The only problem was my bp was high and i have protein and blood in my urine so plan is to recheck urine and bp again tom so all will be ok. I'm feeling soooooo much better today the boys are still very quiet so just resting on the couch today.

Hi to everyone else - Jen i wrote to you in the other thread - hope your travelling ok.

xxBella

Jun 2008
    Adelaide

Smile

Hi ladies,
    Well scan went well my cervix length is still 1.6 so it hasn't gotten worst. I still need to have weekly scan due to my little man being little. They are both very active. AND im still in hosi arrrrrrh I haven't spoken to my OB yet but she is popping in tomorrow they said at the scan that it is a very important time in my pregnancy they have to watch me and get me past the 28 week mark (so does that mean I have to stay here till 28 weeks ?????) I will be asking OB that tomorrow.

Bella what blood in your urine Im glad you finshed work early get that bp down please and stay away from the hospital. I hope everything is ok please let us know how everything goes tomorrow. Im glad to hear you are relaxing on the couch.

Midwiferystudentmummy if the twins come before 34 weeks then Womans and Childrens if after 34 weeks I will be having them at Calvary hospital where are you doing your midwifery?

Helen please let me know what the book is called I need something to read, I will send DH out to hunt for it. I agree with you we do cope with what we have I acually can't wait for it to happen.

Jenc I know what you mean with getting use to bedrest I have my little routine but am still finding it hard to sleep through the night I got up at 5.00am and thought that reading my book would put me to sleep an hour later I started to drift off to sleep and was woken by my breakfast coming in. My muscles are starting to feel like they are bruised what about yours? Im sso jealous that you are past you 30 weeks I wish I was there with you. One day I hope those babies of yours are nice and snug in there and not wanting to come out til 38 weeks.

Rhyb thats great your little bubs are in different sacs and they are beautiful girls thats fantastic we need more girls as most of us are having boys we need abit of balance. I hope they will can make it to full term, what is full term for triplets?

Take care of yourselves
    Last edited by azzrenae; August 17th, 2009 at 09:32 PM.

rhyb Guest

Full term is considered 34 weeks but honestly Im afraid I wont make it that far. Im scared Ill go at 28 weeks so Ive been doing everything now. I only need 1 more cot and 1 more carseat and Im ready for them Oh and lots of clothes lol but that can wait.

BellyBelly Member

Jul 2009
    somewhere

congrats on having 3 girls

Feb 2009
    Brisbane

ooh! 3 little girls!! how adorable. one of my best friends had a little girl on Friday and I was SO excited. I have been dying to buy tutus and fairy wings

Well, I'm back in hospy again. I was having yucky BH last night - up to 12 an hour and just wasn't sure what was normal, now that I know I have an irritable uterus. So this morning I called my ob clinic and they told me to come up to the preg assessment unit - again - to check out what was going on.

Well, it turns out I have been in labour!! Very early stages - no actual dilation yet. But effacement and well, lots of contractions. So, have been given the steroid shots for the boys' lungs, and am on meds to stop the contracs, which I am pleased to say are working a treat. I was getting up to 16 an hour at one point today, and am now down to 4. So it's brilliant news.

I have no idea what this means now for the rest of my preg - will have a better chat to the ob tomorrow

thinking of you all

Jenx

... 2101112131422 ...