Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: question about engagement rings!!!

Smile question about engagement rings!!!

so....just randomly the other day dp and i were out shopping and just casually on the escalator he decides to ask me about engagement rings (as you do!!). i get the feeling he may be thinking of popping the question (yah!!)well, i hope so anyway...he wanted to know if i thought that he should pick an engagement ring or whether we should do it together. he knows absolutely nothing and is generally quite clueless about these things, but part of me thinks that it would be really romantic and sweet if he chose something without my help. what do you guys think? what did you guys do? did anyone pick their engagement rings together or did your dh do it? would love to hear what people think or about your experiences...

My DF is unable to make decisions like that by himself. I went and looked at rings, wrote down the designs of what I liked and gave him the business cards of the jewellers'.

I looked at lots of catalogues and found to many i liked..so we seen a jeweller, showed him what i liked and he helped us design and then make my perfect ring! I was able to pick my diamonds and all.

Im not keen on someone picking my rings cos im fussy and although no matter what Craig picked id still love it..but this ring (as is my wedding band) had to be perfect!!

We went shopping together the day after he proposed. DH knows that I have simple classic taste in jewellery but was too scared he'd pick something I didn't like, plus I wouldn't give him any hints!

A bit of both LOL!! Aaron went & had a look at lots of different rings and picked the final two, he then took me to the shop & asked me to pick which one The one I picked (which was an engagment/wedder set) was just the perfect one for me & the one he liked best too so he probably could have just bought it when he first saw it! Not bad for a 17 year old guy huh?!

My DH and I looked at rings and I picked out one that I loved... and little did I know he went back there after work one day, bought it for me, and then kept it hidden until the time that he asked me to marry him... he waited for the right moment. I was shocked and impressed that he got the one I loved.

Cam picked one, but then he had to show me to check whether I liked it or not...wus! Only joking. It was perfect anyways, but then it had to be made anyway so he didn't have it when he eventually proposed.

Three words - BIG, FAT, DIAMONDS!!!!!!

oh gracie that does sound exciting for you!

neither of us had any idea about rings so we did it together a couple of months after we got engaged. i quickly worked out what i liked and chose the ring myself. DH wanted to spend much more and thought it was too small but i figured i didn't want to wear something i would be terrified of loosing, so i am glad it was i that set the price limit and made the decision! Good luck

Yay Gracie - sounds like there'll be another announcement from you soon!

ROFL Lulu!! I am on the fence on this one. I love the idea of a surprise, but would hate to get one I didn't totally love. So we chose together. I still think a surprise is more romantic, but it's such a personal thing and a lot of money to spend on something that isn't totally right. So obviously I'm more practical than romantic LOL.

ETA - I love your new avatar Gracie.
    Last edited by MantaRay; November 28th, 2007 at 09:04 PM. Reason: add

it is really exciting isn't it??? nothing is definite yet, so i'm trying not to get too excited about it. it was more of an 'off the cuff' kind of question in between mouthfuls of kebab from dp, so i don't know how serious he is...but i know for sure 'he's the one' and we have had a love at first sight romance...so i don't know what he's waiting for????
    thanks for your advice girls.. sounds like i may need to help him with the ring choice.. i just didn't want to 'control' the whole thing and ruin the romance iykwim??? don't want an ugly ring either though..lol
    ps..i love my avatar too mel! ...it's so me...it really is! i love it

We went together and instantly loved the same ring as we both have very similar tastes. I will put a pic in the gallery if you wanna see... give me 5...

for me I would haved liked to have picked out my ring but DH had already gotten it lol but he did do well, But I think that if you know about the engagement then you should pick it out together ( as you have to look at it for a very long time LOL) but off couse if he has gone the whole hog and suprise you then he should have the ring with him and therefore have picked it out himself.

cos i worked in a jewellers i had picked one out and showed DP, that was 3 years ago and last week DP proposed with that ring he has always said he would never pick one out himself, mainly cos im so picky!!!

When my DH popped question it was a HUGE surprise but he didnt have a ring, he had been looking and my dad believe it or not talked him out of choosing one himself. He made a point of telling me so i knew he'd put lots of thought into popping the question it wasnt a spur of the moment job iykwim.

nicambhar- put a pic up !!please....
    and everyone else...i need some ideas...put some pics up!! i have no idea where to even start...

there is a pic of mine in my gallery its a 18ct gold 1ct diamond solitare!

How exciting
    DH toook me out to the jewellery shop and asked them to show us "special rings". He was trying to embarrass me! Anyways, he didnt want to get one himself, he wanted me to choose it. It was actually the first ring I had owned, so I had no idea what I'd like and neither did he.

My sister though, when she got engaged, her fiance actually designed a ring and had it made especially for her. She has heaps of jewellery though so he knew exactly wht she likes and doesnt like. She liked the ring, but then she ended up deciding that she wanted to melt it down and get it redesigned. Poor guy. I would think he would be offended. Not sure. Anyway, it was a really pretty ring that he had made for her.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast