Thread: what do u think of this plan? please help.

Question what do u think of this plan? please help.

ive been for an interview and have now been offered the job. its a marketing role and it really does sound unique and interesting. the hours are varied, up to 10 hours a week and flexible, i can sort of work it how i want, but will probably be 3 hours a day, two or three times a week. i seemed to click with the boss pretty well, and after the interview i walked away really excited and hoping i would get it. i even started brainstorming and writing ideas down just in case i got the job.

the cons are there is a bit of travel involved.... i would be working in two locations, so 40 minutes to one office and 30 minutes to the other (not on the same day). That may not sound like much, but i am in the country, so its actually 66km and 40km travel, one way.

they want me to start immediately, in two days in fact to do a lot of stuff in time for christmas, which is fine, i am happy to start. The thing is, the money they are offering is really not enough for me, when i factor in travel costs as opposed to working somewhere local, and also the role is casual, so i wouldn't be earning any holiday pay etc.

before accepting the job i said because it is casual i really thought the hourly rate would be more, and now the deal is that they want me to start now and have a sort of 4 week trial period, for both parties. It is a new role so they are not too sure how it is all going to work. They also want to make sure i am the right fit for the job and that i have the right personality. which all sounds fair enough to me. they said maybe at the end of the 4 weeks i would decide it wasn't for me, and thats why they want to sort of trial it and wait and see, and if it all works out then the salary would be reviewed.

my problem is i really think to make it worth my while i need probably about $10 more an hour than what they have initially offered, which is a massive difference. My plan at the moment is to start the job, try to impress the hell out of them so that they really want me, then at the review say i need $x amount of dollars for it to be worth my while. If it isn't possible then i chalk it all up to experience and move on. Just wondering what anyone thought of that plan. im a bit nervous that 4 weeks comes and goes and there is no mention of a review or anything and i am stuck earning not enough, when i could be working somewhere local and having a much easier role.

i guess at the end of the day it will be up to me to bring up the review and state what i want and if its too much then say thanks but no thanks. im such a whimp at negotiating though and absolutely HATE it, i find it so awkward.

does anyone have any advice for me, or tips. please help!

Don't be afraid - be honest.

Have you factored in petrol costs as well?

Maybe you can give it a 2 week trial.
    Can you squish more hours into 2 days - that would be far more cost effective for you.
    Look if the money is not good from the start, I'd think more locally. However, If you are upfront now and say, look, I'm used to a better hourly rate and I feel there might be too much travel for only 10 hrs. They might offer you more froim the start, if not they will appreciate your honesty. It's harder to think about than to say - trust me, and you have to learn to do this all through your working life anyway.

I say be upfront with them now.

There is no point you doing 4 weeks work for them and them getting systems in and getting used to having you around for it all to end with you not being able to agree on a higher hourly rate.

You could spin it a little by saying that you are really excited about the position and are really looking forward to it but you have to be honest that if after 4 weeks the review doesnt bump you up to $XX then it really isn't worth your while, as much as you would love the position.

The other option is that you may be able to be a private contractor instead of a casual employee which would mean that your running costs were tax deductible but you would have to chat with an accountant about those options. For only 10 hours a week it may not be cost effective to put those sort of systems into place.

Be brave, and ask for want you want.

Good luck

Emma,

4 weeks is a long time for a trial and takes them up till Christmas. I would try and get them to meet you 1/2 way now.

It sounds odd to me - a casual/trial period at a rate higher than full time permanent ? Are they a well known company ? Was it one of those ads in the paper looking for marketing people and encourage students and people from OS to apply ?

I work casually in sales (petrol station !) no stress, 2 mins from home and get $20 an hour during the week and $25 on the weekend.

hmmm yeah am really having second thoughts now... it sounds like a great job, nah its not dodgy, its just a new position that hasn't previously been done, so they are sketchy on how it is all going to tie together.... but hearing about your hourly rate barbie i am definitely questioning it all now, where abouts are you from just out of interest...

my background is in property and there are three realestates in my town within walking distance.... would be a lot easier just to work somewhere local where i am not going to have to be ultra creative and drive a million miles... just turn up for work, do my job, get paid, and walk home. thing is i have accepted this trial thing to start on thursday, is it bad if i have second thoughts and turn them down tomorrow, being wednesday?? i just dont see how i am really going to ever be better off because of the travel time and petrol cost to get there, unless they offer me like $35 an hour (never going to happen)

It would be fairer to tell them asap.

You'd be mad to not to stay close - living locally in the RE industry would have to be a big plus.
    You will find something more suitable soon.

xoxoxoxox

No better to do it now

Do it now, if they really want you then they will negotiate, don't settle for something that doesn't make you happy.
    Last edited by rosehannah; November 28th, 2007 at 08:21 AM. Reason: typo

all done, god feel so much better now...

what was i thinking!???? absolute madness to drive 65km for 2-3 hours work, then back again!!

thanks for your help, it actually wasn't that hard, i must be getting braver! :-p

Glad that is all done Emma

I was just about to say give them a week perhaps !! too late now !

I work and live in the outer easter suburbs of Melb, about 26 k's from the GPO>

Well done, I hope you find something more suitable soon, best wishes