Thread: Babies Born April 1st - 15th 2008 #1

Default Babies Born April 1st - 15th 2008 #1

This thread is for parents who's baby was born in April 1st - 15th 2008

Your moderators for this forum are as follows-
    Astrolady ~ Administrator
    Trillian ~ Senior Moderator
    Dachlostar ~ Senior Moderator
    MistyFying

There are many issues that you will encounter as a new parent. We have put together this list of useful articles and threads in order to assist you with some common questions or issues you may have, and to provide you with bit of extra support that we all need as new parents:

Feeding Support:

Breastfeeding General Chatter
    Breastfeeding FAQ's
    Is My Baby Hungry?
    Bottlefeeding FAQ's and Useful Information
    Is Feeding Your Baby Taking Too Much Time?
    Bottlefeeding General Chatter
    Feeding Your Baby
    Lactose Intolerance
    Starting Solids/Homemade Baby Food
    Starting Solids - When Is My Baby Ready?
    Starting Solids General Chatter

Please contact the Australian Breastfeeding Association (ABA) or a Lactation Consultant if you are concerned that you may have breastfeeding and/or supply problems, and before the introduction of solids.

Sleeping Support:

Comforted Sleeping & Sleep Issues Forum
    Comforting Tools to Aid Restful Sleep
    Babies & Sleep
    Controlled Crying/Comforting/Sleep Training
    The Con of Controlled Crying
    The Crying Game
    15 Ways To Help Your Baby Sleep

Other Useful Information & Recommended Reading:

Baby Massage
    Cuddle Me Mum
    Infant-led Feeding & Weaning
    Baby Wearing
    Recommended Reading List

Got questions?

Post your questions in the forums mentioned above, or in the following forums where you're sure to receive many friendly responses!

General Baby & Toddler Forum
    Breastfeeding, Bottlefeeding and Solids
    Gentle Parenting Forum

Your previous thread can be found here http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/your...-2008-5-a.html

first in......

hello ladies

Mj has been a bt unsettled atm... not to sure why though.

I have been busy doing the gardening, i have weeds as high as the kids lol.....

well Mj is finally asleep in her swing. think i may leave her there.

off to eat

Hi beatrix, i'm so impressed you've managed to do some gardening.

have had some improvements with sleep. Last night DD slept from about 10pm in the loungeroom, coming into bed with me at 11.30 when i went to bed. She then continued to sleep til 3.30, fed, slept again til 6.30. After that it was pretty crappy but I;m so happy i got 5.5 hours, then about 2.5 hours. The last few weeks have been only 2 hour sleeps which has been so exhausting. I know better than to get too excited about improvements though...

wonder who else will join us in this thread? come on girls!!

Hi guys (I'm copying and pasting in both forums cause this is dumb!)
    Well done on the gardening Beatrix!!

Im attempting to get motivated enough to fold the washing...I had to re-wash all BJ's stuff as he appears to have had a rashy reaction to the fabric softener I used and I couldn't remember what stuff was washed with it and what was washed without it...so I re-washed EVERYTHING!

MGM its good that you got some decent sleep...

Im going to work towards in the next few weeks just re-settling BJ at 2am when he wakes for a feed rather than feeding him cause he never has much, I think its more just a habit to wake rather than a need!

Put him down for a nap before and after an hour and a half he woke...and I could just TELL he wasn't ready to be awake (he had both arms out at that stage), so I wrapped him (well, shoved him in the kidopotomus someone gave us) with his arms in, put his dummy back in and so far he's been asleep for another hour!!

Id better go do that folding....

BW, I lurve my Kiddopotamus wraps! I even bought the bigger ones last week, there is no way Baxter can escape in those things.

I am sorting his clothes this afternoon, there are so many things that have barely been worn that simply don't fit him anymore. He is not big in the chest/tummy area, but is sooo long!

Ness - yay for the swing!

mgm - you poor thing, glad to hear you got a decent block of sleep.

Have a lovely weekend to my new little group!

SG
    xo

Shoegal: I really only use it if I'm in a hurry and don't want to disturb him too much...I think I've used it about 3 times in total...I have lots of BIG musy wraps and I have quite a good tight wrap (perfected over 7 years of working in childcare....usually good enough that 1year olds cannot escape it.
    Though, on occasion, Mr Houdini has managed to get out!

Hi everyone!

I'm copying & posting in both threads, so sorry if you read it twice!

Sarah - saw the photo of the hearing test. Liam's was much like this (except our pads kept falling off because of his hair!!) - you're lucky bubs stayed asleep!

Am sad to announce that I am stopping the expressing as of Tuesday when I return the pump... I'm getting less than one feed a day now and it's time.

Liam did an 8 hour sleep last night - from 5pm - 1am. Kept waiting for him to wake up! We're hoping for another one tonight, but won't hold our breath. Someone said to me today about babies 'patterns'. I said that 'babies' and 'patterns' shouldn't be in the same sentence! Everytime I think I know what to expect, he changes it again!

I'm about to head to bed. Changed the sheets yesterday and they're nice fluffy flannelette ones... mmmm cosy!

BW - please tell me how you wrap? I'd love some tips.

SG
    xo

EYA - Nettie, great job on the expressing for 3 months, you did a wonderful job.
    Last edited by Sequoia; July 19th, 2008 at 11:39 PM.

Hi!

BW, is the 2am feed the only night wake? cos those little nibbles (often bigger than we think) last several more months yet, nine months being the earliest night weaning age that I was recommended. Not that you asked... just thought I'd mention.

I use kidopottamus but Ci hates it. I only wrap him to stop him scratching. he screams about it, I cry, but i have to do it or he's bleeding all over the place by morning.

mgm, I'm jealous! still haven't gotten more than four hours bw Ci at most (last night was one of them )

I'm kind of ok with the thread being split. I have so little time to myself, I think I will be better able to post regularly when there's less to keep track of. Probably still pop into the other thread though.

Lila woke up again at 5am despite the grobag and cot bumpers to keep out the drafts. Sigh. When I was pg I thought I'd co-sleep and so far it hasn't worked out (mostly cause DH is still a smoker, but that's another issue) but maybe her waking up and needing to come back to bed with us is her way of asserting what she needs. I'm not upset about it anymore. Did try to re-settle her in her own bed last night but nothing doing. Oh well. I just don't want a toddler in my bed, you know? That's me being selfish. Night time is when I don't have to be a mummy anymore and I get my own cuddles.

Janine- Wow that's so interesting about your cure-all breastmilk. Fantastic. Now I want DH to get some sniffles so I can try to cure him. If he'd try it. My FIL was telling me about an article he read about some sort of primate, I think orangutans, who lick their baby's poo off their fingers when its sick/has diarrhea. Then the next day it's cured. I don't think I'll do that, gross, but its still interesting I think.

Nettie- on bfing for so long. I don't know how you did it. Liam's a lucky boy to have such a devoted mummy.

SG- I know you asked BW but I've perfected wrapping up my wriggly little one. Even her Nan had a hard time figuring out how to unwrap her. I wrap with arms out, but you can do it with arms in. I put the flannel down flat, usually over the bassinet or the cot. Then I lie her down with her armpits lined up along the top of the flannel. She's in the middle top. I take the right side and firmly fold it over her, and then fold over the left side and tuck it underneath. Then I flip up the bottom and tuck one side and then the other firmly underneath her. For extra snugness (like if she's going to be passed around) I pin the corner of the outside flap to the rest of the wrap just under her armpit. If that makes sense. Works a treat. She doesn't let me wrap her arms any more but the method is the same. Hope that helps.

So homesick lately. And kind of unhappy, too. I can take care of the baby and the husband and the house and the cooking now no problem but I don't have any time to write. Not on my novel, not to my mother, not to my best friend, not to bellybelly and its starting to make me unhappy. I feel like my writing is the absolutely lowest priority around here. I beg DH to look after Lila for a few hours sometimes but he acts like he's doing me such a favor and after three hours or so comes to find me because he's so exhausted. Bah. Try doing it 24-7 for months on end, right? Otherwise he's so lovely, he helps out when I ask and everything but still. I give him ample time to paint, to see his friends, to do things he wants to do and I feel like I get so little.. *end vent*

I mean, since when is Lila only MY baby? Doesn't he have a half-share in her too? He works, he works hard and I don't work out of home but I work my ass off keeping the house. And that never ends. Its not like I can knock off after 8 hours or take a weekend or chuck a sickie. So if we're both working hard then why is it the baby is only my responsibility? ok ok, really done venting now. Thank you.

Nettie you have done a fantastic job, I certainly hope you are proud of yourself!!!!

I am going to try and take some photos of how I wrap as its hard to explain...its nothing special really, just a standard method I think, I just do it really tight or something, but I'll pop back in later and 'splain.
    Right now, I'm trying not to think, I have an ear infection and I'm in pain!

Thanks everyone - I am kinda proud!

Liam's been really grizzly today and we're not sure if it's because of wind (he's done some really deep burps) or because it's so cold (only about 10 degrees here today - brrrr!). So we've warmed up his room and made sure he's cozy... tried to get the burps out as much as we can and he's asleep for the moment.

He's due for a feed shortly so we'll see how he is when he wakes up!

Got some soup cooking on the stove, nice crusty bread waiting for me and some leftover curry to put on for tea... nice cold weather food!

Hope you're all nice & warm where you are!

Butterfly_Princess Guest

Howdy girls,
    Just a quickie, no personals tonight, DP wants the puta
    Isabell has been an angel of late, we have figured she needs to be rocked to sleep, no self settling for her *sigh* its okay, it doesnt take long to rock her.
    She has learnt a new trick which is absolutely adorable, kinda like raspberries, but not against a tum tum or arm or anything, if you know what i mean??
    Im logging off now, hope all is well

Lila woke up again at 5am despite the grobag and cot bumpers to keep out the drafts. Sigh. When I was pg I thought I'd co-sleep and so far it hasn't worked out (mostly cause DH is still a smoker, but that's another issue) but maybe her waking up and needing to come back to bed with us is her way of asserting what she needs. I'm not upset about it anymore. Did try to re-settle her in her own bed last night but nothing doing. Oh well. I just don't want a toddler in my bed, you know? That's me being selfish. Night time is when I don't have to be a mummy anymore and I get my own cuddles.
    First babies are like that. I was exactly the same. I didn't co sleep with DD until she was two - exactly the time I thought I'd be regretting it had I started! but that's when i first read the Continuum Concept and i was in guilty tears for weeks and brought her to bed. honestly, if you read that, it will change your life. i put her in a toddler bed beside us, so i had as much space as i always did (i'm not a good cosleeper) and it was great cos after babyhood comes potty training - it's so much better with them right there. also, like my mum says, "parenting doesn't stop at night just cos you'd like it to, imagine if all those nights i held you, all those nights you felt welcome in my bed - what if i didn't allow that? How might that have changed you as a person?" good perspective for me. She even sat with me for hours in the wee hours when I was a teen and sick and scared until i fell asleep. She STILL would! I want my kids to look back on their childhood the way I look back on mine, because of my selfless mother. i saw a cartoon (trying to find it online) of a little boy standing at the foot of his parents bed with a teddy saying, "it's okay for you, you got someone to sleep with!"

I beg DH to look after Lila for a few hours sometimes but he acts like he's doing me such a favor and after three hours or so comes to find me because he's so exhausted. Bah. Try doing it 24-7 for months on end, right?
    Totally.

Meg, I have to rock Ci, but I still call it self settling cos he goes in sleepy, not asleep. Self settling in babies is a joke though. most parents learn the hard way that Spock and those other idiots were, well... idiots, and the reality is: we want them to self settle/soothe (most convenient), but they don't. Only in our culture do we force babies beyond their readiness and expect independence before they are even a child. so take heart - your baby is totally normal, and you are honoring her inbuilt instinct for mama comfort.

Ci's skin is a little better. he's sleeping better, much better. i only have to resettle him once a nap now, and sometimes not at all. night sleeping is getting better with his skin, too.

Nettie, you made me hungry!

Morning ladies,

I just thought I would let you know I am going to stay in other room. As I dont have time to get on one room, let alone 2 rooms. I will stop in now and then, or come over and chat in the late babies club.
    Anyway
    Cheers
    Sarah

Just a quick one:

Steph - thanks for the explanation, will try it out.

BW - would love to see some photos!

SG
    xo

PS - just had to share, Baxter slept from 10.30pm til 7.00am with no dummy returns, yay! He did this last night, and the night before too. I have 77 thankyou notes to write, better get on to it, seeya.

[B]WARNING CUT AND PASTE BELOW[/B]
    Fire Thanks for the info re turkey and plastics. When I said ploy - I was meaning it in relation to the cashing in as opposed to the truth behind it. I mean really $16 for a BPA free bottle and only $2-$10 for one that is going to cause problems. If they really wanted us to do the right thing shouldn't they make them cheaper??? I'm actually suprised that DD doesn't seem to have too many digestive issues/allergens at all considering being a c-section bub.

NEW POST not in other half of the month
    Not sure how long I'll keep cross posting but the other side is quiet today so I'm here too.
    Belle I still sleep with DS and he is nearly 3 but we sleep in a double bed together and my DH sleeps alone. We have been trying to get out of him why he needs to sleep with Mummy and asked him the other night how he thinks Daddy feels having to sleep alone. We tried role play with toy figures, but he said no no no no no and took Mummy out of bed with Daddy and put her in bed with the baby and the boy. So unless I wake in the middle of the night and sneak out Daddy sleeps alone. I'm okay with it as he gets so little time with me between work and baby he'll be lucky to get 2 hours before bed time a day. It's a small price to pay and why my Mum regularly takes DS or both kids to give me and DH some adult time.
    Fire
    like my mum says, "parenting doesn't stop at night just cos you'd like it to
    that is very profound and something DH needs to read. He is wonderful, but does go out once the rest of the family is in bed, not that I mind, but there are times when I wish he could take over the parenting at night so I could get a full night's sleep. Saturday night he took DS into his bed at 5am as I wasn't coping with DD not sleeping and I could hear DS gnawing his ear off about his toys
    I guess I want to be a part of my son's life when he has children, something I don't see too many MIL have and I think that if I start building that bond now I'll have a better chance of doing so.
    Pooh nappy alert - gotta go.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast