Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies born April 2008 #4

I have the tommee tippee bottles and i think they are way to fast! I have another pigeon teat and it takes caleb twice the time to drink that bottle than it does to drink from the TT bottle. If i had my time again i wouldn't use the TT bottle on a BF baby because it caused caleb to become lazy and cranky as he got the milk with out any effort. I have three of the TT bottles and one avent bottle with the pigeon teat on it that my SIL sent up as her baby wouldn't take it. We always choose the "fast one" as we call it at night as he just gulps it down and you can go back to bed and of course DH hates the 'slow one' because it takes double the time to feed him. Just my experience!! any one else found the same?

We had our 8 week shots today and basically after an hour and a half we have not been able to put DD down. She will fall asleep in the carrier or in my arms, but put her down to sleep and she wakes screaming. Gave her her bath and dressed her before dinner, she was quiet in her rocker, which was a miracle it seemed, DH came home and she did the biggest power chuck I have seen and since then I can not put her down.
    Can see that we are in for a bad night if not a few bad days, so I have sent DH out to get me a bottle of wine and am expressing so that I can have a glass or two and relax a little before the onslaught.

To top off my day DS headbutted the floor at daycare and has carpet burns on his nose, poor little guy and a blood nose at the time. So all he wants is comfort food chocolate biscuits and bottles please mummy.

We used the TT Close to Nature bottles whilst comp feeding and they do seem to flow fast, but also meant I had no trouble getting DD back to exclusive breast afterwards. I like the look of the bottles that you found Fire.

Shoegal congrats on the weight loss . I'm still reaching for the sugar fix because I'm not eating properly. Figure I should invest in some "sugar balance" tablets to get me over the need to have a quick fix. Does anyone know if those tablets really work??

Belle my DH has flaxseed oil every day. Don't know how you can do it.

Time to try to get everyone to bed so I can have that glass of wine.

we have had a rough couple of days with Oliver and him not sleeping (thankfully only through the day) but I just can't catch up.

As for the weight loss, congrats shoegal, that is a nice loss for the week, I still have 8kg to lose, but I am still 9kg lighter than when I 1st got pg, like Babywrangler I really did lose my appetite during pregnancy and I only put on 4kg, my appetite has returned though, but I don't seem to be able to eat as much as I used to though.

Oh, I have updated my gallery photos.

Can't seem to open the photos, Sharon.

Grubi, if it is red wine and you aren't drinking too much, it's actually good for the milk. I read it in a toxic breast milk book, and they said to avoid a whole bunch of things so if they say to drink red wine then it must be ok . Also dark beer apparently. The resveratrol helps detoxify the body, it is in red wine (not white) and gets into the milk.

Can't seem to open the photos, Sharon.

Grubi, if it is red wine and you aren't drinking too much, it's actually good for the milk. I read it in a toxic breast milk book, and they said to avoid a whole bunch of things so if they say to drink red wine then it must be ok . Also dark beer apparently. The resveratrol helps detoxify the body, it is in red wine (not white) and gets into the milk.

HI Sharon,
    gorgeous photos!
    Ours are all at Flickr: Lurgen's Photostream
    Our little man has "righted" himself after his little outing and subsequent overtired spell.
    He's been on formula for about 24 hours solid now and I think it's time for me to stop being attached to the supply in the freezer and just switch him completely!
    He's much more settled, content and sleeps better...the breast milk usually comes back up and he needs to be topped up....I think its best all round that we switch completely.

Grubi- I take the flaxseed oil in capsule form. My skin is crystal clear all of a sudden, no blotches or anything. I think I'll keep taking it. A bit of poking around on the net and I turned this up about it, wish I'd found it sooner...

The brain is about 60% fat by weight, and DHA and other omega-3 fatty acids are very abundant in it. A lot of the fat is in the cell membranes of the neurons and in the protective myelin sheath that covers them. The types and proportions of fats in the cell membranes determine how effectively the brain cells communicate. A diet deficient in omega-3 fats also alters brain's energy metabolism [11].

Scientists are now revealing how all kinds of mental disorders including Parkinson's disease, depression, Alzheimer's disease, dementia, and schizophrenia are connected with deficiencies in the essential fatty acids, and with an imbalance between omega-6 and omega-3 fats (see The Human Brain - Fats and [10]). For example, children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADD/ADHD) have been shown to have low levels of DHA in their blood...
    In a study from Connecticut, it was found that babies of mothers with higher DHA levels showed significantly more quiet sleep and less active sleep, and less sleep-wake transition than those of mothers with lower DHA levels. In other words, they slept better. This was interpreted as indicating greater central nervous system maturity in the higher DHA group [4]. That is very interesting news for all pregnant and nursing mothers, since the baby's sleeping pattern has such an effect on everybody in the family.

Another important note for pregnant women is that women who develop postpartum depression have lowered levels of DHA. The developing fetus has drawn a lot of the maternal sources, and if the woman does not eat foods rich in omega-3 fats, she risks not only the baby's health but her own mental health.
    Sorry if that's long, just found it very interesting indeed.

Having a little trouble with the bfing. No more bloody milk thank God. She attaches well, but its hard for me to get her attached and me sitting in a comfortable position. And she will feed while its easy, usually starts faffing around after 10-15 minutes or so and I top her up with EBM. Then I express the breast she was mucking around with and there was still 40-50mils left of good rich hindmilk. Bah. We'll get there. I refuse to give up. I've put in so much work getting the breastfeeding going that I'll be doing it for years just so as to not waste the effort..
    Last edited by bellelass; June 17th, 2008 at 01:15 PM.

Steph, good article. Personally, regarding the feeding, I'd keep putting her back on. I've heard of nursing strikes being caused by bottles cos breast feeding is hard on babies. She may not learn to persevere for that rich stuff. I'm not sure how to do it, but that's what I would do, keep putting her back on. I know Ci would go on a permanent nursing strike if I introduced a bottle cos feeding for us is still very taxing. He still cries about it cos my flow is still too fast for him sometimes, I'm still engorged at least once a week, which exacerbates the problem, and he still seems to have an issue with comfort feeds most of the time. Each issue is getting better SOOO damned slowly.

Steph, good article. Personally, regarding the feeding, I'd keep putting her back on. I've heard of nursing strikes being caused by bottles cos breast feeding is hard on babies. She may not learn to persevere for that rich stuff. I'm not sure how to do it, but that's what I would do, keep putting her back on. I know Ci would go on a permanent nursing strike if I introduced a bottle cos feeding for us is still very taxing. He still cries about it cos my flow is still too fast for him sometimes, I'm still engorged at least once a week, which exacerbates the problem, and he still seems to have an issue with comfort feeds most of the time. Each issue is getting better SOOO damned slowly.

Well Steph (bellelass) that article has convinced me to try that dreadful flaxseed oil, considering it is in the house anyway. I tried to remember to take fish oil during my PG but have been hopeless since the birth with taking any of hte supplements I should be taking.

I bought the sugar balance tablets will give you an update in a few days as to whether or not they are helping with the sugar cravings. At least I made myself lunch today, it was only a sandwich, but better than chocolate.

Grrrr on th difficulties posting!!!

Baxter had his immunisations today and a weight check.

He is just a little drowsy but fed nicely afterwards and is now asleep. I think I was more upset than him at the time!

He only put on 105gms this week. I was quite shocked since he has been feeding beautifully lately (albeit still wrapped!).

I'm not upset since I know he is growing longer, is very content and settled, sleeps overnight and has 7 feeds a day plus an EBM or formula bottle at night. Getting him weighed again next week and if not a better result then off to the paed again.

Won't be posting for the next few days as we are off to Perth. Baxter and I both have opthalmology appts. I see one every 6 months as I was born with a cataract and had it removed when I was 2, this constitues Baxter seeing a paediatric optho as this is classed as family history. He was checked out at 6 days old and got the all clear then.

Then going shopping for a new handbag with DH, yay! This is a combined 30th birthday present/baby present. Very excited!

Love to all.

SG
    xo

PS - Steph, thanks for the article. I take 3 fish oil capsules a day.

kirsty_lee Guest

Hi girls! Haven't had the chance/energy to read all the posts. Hope you's are all well. Well last week I thought Ava-Jayde had reflux or constipation from all the crying, but this week as of Monday she was back to her normal self. Feeding every 3-4 hours and sleeping all day thank god. Don't know what was bothering her, she has a cold atm with a bit of a hoarse throat so not sure if it was the lead up to that. Last night she slept from 6.30pm-6.30am it was great. I got all my housework done last night and got to kick back with a cup of coffee and fold the washing and watch my shows, may not sound exciting for some, but after 8-9 weeks of constantly going and going with her till i go to bed at 10.30 it was a nice break. She goes for her needles on Thursday, so I am expecting a bit of a sooky bum that night but oh well, one night won't be too bad.

Hi everyone

Just wanted to pop in and say hi to Sharon, Shelley and Grubi (and everyone else of course) Its good to hear how all your bubs are doing, its aweful now that we are in diff groups but this group is soooo big its hard to keep up with everything. I see all your bubs are getting there needles, Grubi i hope Greer is feeling better now, sounds like she didnt like her needles one bit (can't say i blame her). Sharon i hope Oliver is more settled through the day for you now, as much as we say its all good if they sleep through the night we still need them to be reasonably good through the day or it does get taxing!
    Shelley I soooo love that pic of BJ, it jsut warms my heart to see a happy baby.

Well Molly is doing well, she is the only bub out of my 7 to only feed from one breast each feed. All my other bubbas have fed both sides but not her. Mind you she seems to be gaining weight no worries and is generally a happy settled bub, so i guess thats all that matters. It just means that i always look lopsided . We are off to CHN to get weighed tomorrow so i will pop in and let you knwo how she is going then. Oh i bought a sling! I have never had one, i have a pouch thing but that jsut kills my back and shoulders, so yesterday whilst we were in Toowoomba i bought a Peanut shell sling and WOW! It is awesome i dont get any back or shoulder pain, i even put her in it while i did the school newsletters today. Anyway i better go feed Molly and get some sleep. OMG my DH just came home from picking up DS from work adn he bought me a bunch of flowers! I didnt even get flowers when Molly was born!!!! maybe he is sensing that i am not happy. anyway chat later. Take care

Phew! I haven't been able to post for days! I think it was Monday when I could get to read the posts, but as soon as I was ready to post myself - Liam needed me! Then last night I had some spare time and the site was down - grrrr!

I have decided to take a 'que sera sera' attitude with my breastmilk supplies. I will express as often as I can and will give him all I can - but when I don't have enough, he'll get formula. And when it dries up - it dries up. I'm proud to have gotten to the 9 week mark (tomorrow) so anything else is extra bonus.

DH & I are reverting to our 'take turns' approach to night feeds - he gets up for one and I stay in bed & vice versa for the next feed. That philosophy let me get 7 straight hours of sleep last night! whoo hoooo! It will be negative on my milk supplies though - but see previous paragrah...

Sharon & BW - very cute photos! Liam won't smile when the camera's on him either! Hoping to buy a video camera in the next week so we can capture his 'talking' and smiling in action before he grows up any more! Also want to film his showering escapades! He loves his showers!

Flaxseed oil - I take multivitamins with fish oil in them... I think that will do me!

Going grocery shopping today as we are nearly out of everything here! We've got Liam in cloth nappies for most of the time (at home at least) but are using disposables at night and when we go out. Am waiting on a local shop to get me some MCN in for me to try... been three weeks now Waiting on that before we go to get the video camera, curtains and blinds for his room.. Hopefully getting his cot from IKEA this weekend! Will be a big step for us to put him in his own room and out of ours! But he's beginning to stretch the space in the basinette.

He now weighs 4.73 kgs and measures 58 cms! He's now in 000 clothing and we're donating our 0000 clothing to the Neo Natal unit where he was cared for in his first 5 days - they always need clothing! Will be going there on Monday for his referral to ENT Dr as he had fluid in his ear at the hearing test. Be good to clear out his wardrobe a bit!

Anyway - enough rambling from me! Have a good day everyone!

hi everyone

Well i have had success with Russell sleeping i dont know what i did but hes sleeping 6-7 hours at night and settling better in the early mornings. i fed him at 12pm and 3am and put in down to go to the loo and he was out to it both times when i got back. yay.

Also hes only pooing every 3-5 days - should i be concerned?

NEttie - your doing a great job. its amazing what dilegence and determination can achieve

Steph - i have a few young friends with young bubs, aged up to 1. often gettogether and chat . i can always let you know if your interested. also when Russell fluffing around at the breast , i take him off for a few minutes then re attach him , he settles down after a few tries.

BW - there are placed you can donate BM too that are not for profit and supply NICU in some states( i know there is one in perth). i if there is one in your capital city atleast your BM wont go to waste and may help save another little life.

try this site http://www.mothersmilkbank.com.au/donor.htm

Nelle- hope you are well and everyhtings sorting itself out

Russell has really stinky poo and farts atm aswell- i think it is the extra fruit i have been eating as only stareted when istarted drinking fruit smooties through the day to keep me going. bananas strawberries blueberries and rasperries.

Hiya Kat: Great to see you! Will catch you again on msn soon! I'm glad Molly is being such a good girl (you deserve it after she made you wait so long!)

Zennie:: Unfortunately there is currently no milk bank in Victoria. I called about 9 hospitals yesterday (including one all the way up on the states border) but none of them would accept it.
    I've contacted the milk bank (via the website, thanks) and will see if they can suggest anything!

BJ had a temp last night for no apparent reason (though DH had a cold a week or so back so I'm waiting for that to hit him!
    We gave him panadol at 10:30 (his temp was 38.5), and it didnt start dropping til 12:30 (in fact it went up to 38.7 at one point). Then it dropped quickly and by 1:10 it was 36.6.
    Its funny cause he woke up a little snuffly (which he does from time to time), but all day I knew he wasn't quite right, to the point of checking his temp at 6pm thinking he was getting warmish (was only 36.8 at that point). I said to DH when we put BJ into bed "I bet he's gonna have a temp and need panadol when he wakes" and sure enough!

He had a temp again when he got up this morning, 38.4, the panadol kicked in nice and fast though so that was good...if it goes up again before tomorrow we'll be off to the Dr.

We are officially on all formula, and I have to do the unfortunate task of defrosting all the frozen milk and tipping it out...its sooo depressing (in the sense of it being a waste).
    Oh well.
    Meant to have mothers group today, but we'll give it a miss, we had 2 tasks that HAD to happen today that took less than an hour so when he wokes, we ducked out and do them, now we are home and here we will stay.
    We finally get our new car today (meant to be yesterday but the stupid company we had the other one leased through gave us a final payout figure without taking off the payment we made on friday...then apparenty its too hard to get the figure they gave us, deduct the payment we made, and get the right number, oh no, we have to go back to the accounts department, and it will take 24-48 hours to generate a new one....seriously...people have no brains!

On an exciting note, my work (well old work but Im on honorary staff member) receievd a $22,000 grant to re-do the play yards outside, its sooooo exciting!!!

Anyways, off the make the days formula!!
    Last edited by BabyWrangler; June 18th, 2008 at 12:34 PM.

Afternoon all,

I tried to post yesterday, but stupid thing didn't post. I've had lost of trouble even view site, let alone posting.

Update...

Wyatt has been very unsettle during day. Will fall asleep in arms as usual, but now when I put him in his bed, he only sleeps for 30min then wakes up. At night we are still at out normal time 8-12-4 for feeds. Could kill the little bugger if he keeps this up.

well he in he ergo as we went to playgroup for DS and he is just starting to wake up so I better go. Will try later to post more...

Sarah

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast