Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born April 2008

Butterfly_Princess Guest

Hey
    Well our little angel is going to be sleeping in her cot tonight. So far she is doing really well but im worried i wont hear her over the monitor while im asleep (i know i will, but im still worried, my angel is getting big, ALREADY!)
    We have MCHN appt tomorrow, be interesting to see how much weight she has put on, she is looking quite the chubba. She was 60kilo's (ehem i mean grams ha ha can tell i havent had much sleep!) above birth weight the last time we had her weighed.
    DD and i went out by ourselves today, i was so nervous, even though we were only going to my parents house. Everything went perfectly lol..especially the part i worried the most about - getting her in and out of the car seat.

Well i hope your all doing well. Im off to sleepies.

Last edited by Butterfly_Princess; April 24th, 2008 at 09:41 PM.

MEG- PMSL at your 60kilos!! i hope shes not that heavy. i really hope you got some sleep.

Well i must say i am loving this co sleeping. So so easy while bf!! and its so nice to have that closeness. Last night i didnt get up once to fee. But she only feed twice over night so not to bad.

I got a safe a secure sleeper delievered today. dont know how much i will use it but it is reassuring to DH that he wont roll on her

Butterfly_Princess Guest

Beatrix OMG im so blonde, can really tell im not getting much sleep ha ha! i meant 60 grams..but i got that wrong..it was actually 90grams..ahh i need sleep!!

Ive been wondering about co-sleeping..where exactly does the baby sleep?? Like, ive thought to put Izzy in bed with me to have a cuddle, but im too scared to incase i fall asleep..where is the safest place for me to place her??

We had our appt today with the MCHN (or is it MHCN?) and all is going well, my little chubba is putting on weight steadily, she now weights 3080grams, and has grown 2cm's..im so proud of her DP has been taking wonderful pictures of her, and her little feet and hands. And we got her birth certificate today, im so excited!! Yes, i know, im weird lol, but its the whole sense that now she officially exists..her existance has been legally registered. Ill shush now!!
    Last edited by Butterfly_Princess; April 25th, 2008 at 12:29 AM.

Default Just a quickie

just popping in quickly to say hello to everyone, I know some of you, but will obviously get to know you all over time.

My little (well not so little) man is 2 days old, we started out BF but after only 24 hours my nipples where bruised, bleeding, blistered and causing me pain, and many tears, so I made the decision to switch to bottle feeding and he is going great, he is a little porker and has close to 100ml each feed.

Not sure what else to say at this point, will try and get back on in the next day or so and attempt some personals.

TTFN

Woot! Sharon, welcome!

Yay on the arrival of Oliver, he looks adorable!

Not much to report from my end, Baxter feeding well and I resisted the urge to get him weighed today, will save it for Monday.

Time for bed for me as my darling is asleep.

SG
    xo

Butterfly_Princess Guest

Hey Sharon!! Congrats on your beautiful baby boy and welcome hehe.

I just uploaded one of DP's photo's he took of DD today. Its such a wonderful photo

Hi there

Just introducing myself to this thread..

Liam's doing brilliantly and we're starting to learn to go to bed when he does!! Got the community midwife coming Monday morning and then we're off to see the Dr (condition of his discharge from hossy) - but other than that, we're just living life!

Liam sleeps in a bassinette at the end of our bed. We have a 'safe and secure' sleeper thingy for the bed, but it doesn't give us much room, so we're reserving it for when he's particularly restless.

He usually sleeps around 3 hrs at a time and is taking anywhere from 50 - 80 mls per feed. I'm expressing BM as he has a cleft palate and hasn't been able to attach to the breast. My supply is going well - got in excess of 150 mls this morning (from both) - which is probably enough for 2 feeds!

We're off for a walk in a minute to the shops as the cats are out of food and we need supplies for us!

Don't you just love how your baby smells??

Evening everyone

Good to finally take a mo to catch up.

Well ... Russell is doing well, his jaundice is almost gone and hes an absolute pleasure.
    As for me i am recovering from C-Sect , Dressings came off today and my scar is healing well. still have limited feeling in the general area and my stretch maks hurt the most but otherwise ok

As for BF - my tits have never been so huge and hard. how long do the tender nipples last???

Quote Originally Posted by Nettie View Post
    Don't you just love how your baby smells??
    What, like spew? :P

Starting to get my head around Silas and his spewing, River was a two bosom boy, would feed one side and then the other, but I think Silas might be a one side at a time kind of kid. I feel like he's not getting enough, but I've got friends who've fed their kids one side per feed, so I'll just have to get used to the idea. But yeah, the spewing seeeems to have lessened since feeding him from one side at a time. Probably too early to tell for sure though.

Just come back from the inlaws and I'm exhausted. Might do the last feed of the night and head to bed.

Big welcome to the girls who've introduced themselves!
    Nettie, that's great that expressing's going so well, when do cleft palates get fixed?
    Zennie, how old's your bub now? (you need to update your ticker!) I think my milk settled around 1-2 weeks. Can't remember...but we're almost at week 4 and it's been settled for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Zennie View Post
    As for BF - my tits have never been so huge and hard. how long do the tender nipples last???
    Hey Zennie, congrats on the arrival of Russell, hope things are going well.

My nipples have really only become a lot less tender in the last day or so, and Baxter is just over 2 weeks old. I am vigilant with the Lansinoh which makes a HUGE difference for me.

Nettie - well done on the expressing. I think there is another BB member call PurpleMama (?) whose little boy had a cleft palate and she exclusively BF'd (I think?!) for at least 6 months.

SG
    xo

Nelle! My little Liam has a full head of hair (will post pics soon, I promise) and I just love smelling it! Maybe I'm just strange

It depends on the surgeon, but most cleft palates are operated on between 9-12 months of age. I haven't attended my first appointment yet with the 'cleft clinic' so I'm still a bit 'green' at this stuff yet!

Shoegal - I've already found PurpleMama and have begun chatting with her about our clefty babies! But thanks for the info!

I must say, expressing mustn't be as hard on your boobies because I've had no trouble at all! Sometimes I get *****ling feelings in my nipples when it's time to express, but other than that, no trouble at all! Having said that, I've only been at this around a week!

Can babies get hayfever? My little Liam sneezes a lot... but that might be to do with the cleft palate too - dunno!

You might be right Nettie, because I know what really screws my boobs is when bub has poor attachment and I don't notice - and you can't get poor attachment with a pump can you!

As for the sneezing, I know Silas sneezes when he's got milk up his nose. Pretty common for babies to get milk up their noses while feeding. In fact, Silas has a cold at the moment, and I think the milk up his nose is a good thing, helps clear him out. On the down side, it means sometimes he's feeding on a tummy full of mucous...ideal spewing conditions.

I was going to bed wasn't I...

Nelle I weighed myself when I got home with Oliver when he was 2 days old, and I had lost 9kg, but because my tummy was (and still is) bloated I still can't get into any of my 'normal' clothes, I am so over my maternity clothes. Jordan was a spewie baby, had really bad reflux till he was about 9 months old, he had to have prescription medication to help with his.
    Shoegal I am sure that Baxter will catch up to his original birth weight, he isn't too far off it.
    MummyMeg that pic is adorable of Isabelle
    Nettie glad to hear that your expressing is going so well.
    Zennie even though I am bottle feeding, my milk came in yesterday and it looked like I had two huge soccer balls stuck to the front of my chest, and they where rock hard and sore, the are a little better today.

Had visitors since 9am today and they only left an hour ago and I am completely exhausted. Oliver has been doing fantastic, he was really restless after his 11pm feed last night and didn't settle until I fed him again at 1.30am, I put him in his bassinette after his feed and I went back to bed, I heard him get the hiccups and thought he would start grizzling, but he managed to settle himself and slept through till 5.30am.

So am I the only one formula feeding? There where a couple of nurses at the hospital who made my choice a difficult one, one of them even said that my nipples didn't look that bad, in other words, she thought I was just complaining, I think that after pushing out a 10lb 10oz baby with no drugs I would know if I was in pain or not. I FF Jordan from about 8 weeks and there is absolutely nothing wrong with him.

Aha!! Finally found where I should be. Wasn't sure where to go after DD was born - here looks like the place though.

Charlotte Anne was born on April 16 after being induced for Pregnancy Induced Hypertension. She weighed 7lb 14.5oz. I was really lucky and had a 'dream' induction and it was only 5.5 hours from breaking my waters to her arrival.

We have been home for a week now and are settling in nicely. She is quite colicky (when she is awake - she sleeps for about 4 - 5 hours at a time and has about 3 periods a day of wakefulness of about an hour). Am using Grip Water fairly regularly with her and have just introduced a dummy for when she won't settle after a night feed - but have not found a magic cure for her to be able to get rid of the wind - have tried everything - massage, burping, baths, gravity feeding - all with no luck.

I am BF and have a s**tload of milk which makes my boobs very hard particularly when it is so long between feeds and still have quite tender nipples (have to hold my breathe for the first 4-5 sucks) but otherwise she attaches fine (unless she has wind) and usually has a good feed (also drinks 100mls if given expressed milk in a bottle - but will pay for it later with wind!)

She is my little koala cause she loves sleeping on my (or DH) chest - and is currently snuggled up there as I type this!!

Anyway, it is nice to have found a new 'home'. Talk to you all soon.

Lol Tarnee, they call those first few seconds the toe curling moments or something I think! Silas is windy too, and we're finding Brauer's Colic Relief is working okay, others have recommended Infacol's Infant's Friend. I started a post in the Colic section called Baby Farts where I got some good advice! Apparently the foremilk makes bub a bit more windy than the hindmilk (because of foremilk's higher sugar content), so make sure bub is draining a side really well before offering the next...tis making a bit of a difference for us. Also we've had some success popping Si on his tummy at times.

Sharon I can't believe you had visitors that stayed that long! Did they do anything helpful, like cooking or your dishes?

Think Silas might be having some sort of growth spurt, they say there's one at 6 weeks, but he's definitely wanting to feed a smidge sooner than the 3 hours that he used to. Ah well. He's gotta grow I guess!

Tarnee hi, nice to see you here, Jordan used to love sleeping on mine or DH's chest too, it is because they can feel the heartbeat (well, that's what we reckon).
    Nelle the only reason my visitors stayed that long is because they are relo's and they had to drive 1.5 hours to get here, so I really didn't mind, just found it terribly exhausting.

I went and did a bit of shopping yesterday so that I could cater for my relo's, DH did offer to go but I really needed to get out of the house, well, I think I over done it, I ended up with an extremely sore back by the time I got home, so I won't be doing that again in a hurry, if I feel the need to shop, it won't be for groceries next time

Well, nighty night, Oliver seems to have settled straight back to sleep after his 11pm feed, so I will make the most of it and toddle off to bedfordshire.

Hey there all! Had a full on week or so as DS has some kind of sinus issue no one seems to have heard of before. It's like reflux, only it isn't in his nose, it goes to his sinuses and he finds it hard to breathe through the serious snuffling. So I can't cosleep in bed with him, I'm on the recliner couch in the lounge room until he grows out of it. I'm going to try the bed again tonight but I don't think he's ready. Cosleeping means we both have to be on an incline. Bollocks.

Otherwise my marsupial is great. Asleep in his sling as I type. Although last night I got engorged again. Went through the usual newborn feeding in the first couple of weeks, which was non stop to bring my milk in strong. Then he started feeding every three hours or so, and I thought YAY. In recent couple of days he fed full on again (about the point a mama starts to wonder about her supply cos he wanted to feed so much) however I learned he knows exactly what he's doing - bringing in more milk for a growth spurt! Clever, these kids, eh? So I got engorged from the 1.5 - 2 hourly feeds and BOY did it hurt. I could barely walk - sore boobs make you barely able to walk, whoda thunk it. But he drained them both!

As for growth spurt, geez, Ci gained over 600grams his second week (on top of his birth weight)! He's a big boy now, and gaining fast. I must have cadbury's full cream dairy milk, I tell ya. So I guess I have to look out for the occasional feeding frenzy from him, followed by engorgement, followed by Sir Gainsalot.

So if any of you can resonate with this, take heart, frequent feedings are just perfect, babe knows what s/he's doing, bringing in more milk! And nothing does it faster or better than just putting the baby on the boob more often. If you wonder about your milk, the best test is weight gain. If you still aren't confident, just feed on demand and then a few extra; best way is to take to bed with them for a day or so, and let them stay on the boob as long as they want, they may fall asleep with the nipple in their mouth (and probably so will you) and this is very normal. That's why night feedings are more likely to keep ovulation at bay, they are the most productive, mostly because we are less likely to allow unlimited time at the boob as we sleep through it. The feedback loop of the breast glands and hormones isn't just how much milk is taken, it is also how much areola/nipple stimulation you get that brings it in (remember trying to bring on labour via nipples? kinda like that :lol) You'll get so much milk you'll have to sell some . Newbies should feed b/w 8 and 12 feeds a day if on the boob, or supply can go down. Not a good idea to try to follow a formula fed baby's schedule (4 to 6 feeds a day) or you will lose your milk. They'll cut out one of those night feeds soon.

HTH

I love reading about all the newbies in this thread, helps me feel less alone.
    Last edited by Fire; April 27th, 2008 at 10:39 AM.

Hey Kira! Welcome to c-section land. My belly from the bellybutton down still hurts to touch. Not badly, but is tender. My left side of the incision area took almost three weeks to stop hurting enough so I could walk! Unlike my section with DD, I was walking well within days. I still think there is something wrong in there, I may get it checked out.

As for tender nipples, they shouldn't last long at all. If they are still sore, get your latch checked. Russell must have all or almost all of your areola in his mouth (depending on the size of yours). If he just takes in nipple, he won't stimulate your milk supply or letdown, won't get enough milk, and you will be sore, and may even crack or bleed. Latch and position is the main reason for quitting, so hang in there and get GOOD advice (an ABA meeting, or a lactation consultant would even be worth it in the long run, about 60 bucks and they spend hours with you). Position is making sure his chest and stomach is facing you completely. If he looks like he is turning his head toward you - sore nipple land. Also remember "flange lips" or "special K lips": check his mouth as he is attached to you, his lips should "flange" out, looking like the special K symbol. If he looks like he is pursing his lips, or if he sucks your nipple in instead of opening wide to latch onto the areola - sore nipple land. I have a little trick, when he sucks my nipple in (we're working on it :rollseyes, I pull his lip down while he's attached . When he comes off, he will probably have marks around his mouth where he was totally stretched open while feeding.

eek gotta run...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast