Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies born February 16th-28th 2009 #2

Had a terrible night last night. Had to rush Leon to the doctors as he woke up gasping and struggling to breathe and frothing at the mouth. He also kept going limp and not breathing for short periods of time but enough to scare the [email protected] out of me. Anyway when we got there and waited a bit, he seemed to recover and the doctor said his airways and chest was clear and if it happened again call 000... I thought it may have been the dactarin gel I've been using for nipple thrush and it could have blocked his throat or something...

On a positive note, feeding is going really well, my right side has almost caught up to the left in terms of supply but I'm still getting nipple pain from the suspected thrush.

AJP, I hope DH makes it up to you. Men are so thoughtless sometimes.

Ellie, nice av! Leon is unsettled after feeds as well. Sounds like reflux is pretty likely.

Tarkine, yes we just strap him in the pram.

OP, can't wait for that magic 6 week mark!

Laura, glad to hear the bbs are better.

Ali, good to hear your walk went well We went and got photos printed yesterday as well, picking them up today!

Shell, how is Em going? I think Leon has a snuffy nose as well. Poor thing

Nai, Kaz, Megie, Kim, Det, Heaven and anyone else I missed!

AJP, I would have let him have it too! DP went out Tues night but my mum was staying that night so she helped. However he left for work this morning while I was BF and DD hadn't had breakfast, got dressed, done her hair or anything tro get ready for CC. So I had to do all of that while carrying a screaming 4w old GRRRR! He will also cop it tonight!!!

Ellie, J is a chucky baby too but I have found that if I pull her off the boob and burp her every 5min she is a lot less chucky - so maybe give that a go?

J slept in her cradle all night last night from 6.30pm - 7.30am with 3 feeds so that was pretty good. She has been screaming since she woke up though

Far out Holly that sounds so scarey! Anika did something similar in hossy and DH and I ages 20 years in a heartbeat! Reminds me...I really must look into a bub first aid course!

Thanks for the advice on the feeding and chucking! Anika is having a power spew after one side...then needs a break before attacking the other! Will try the 5 min burping and see how we go.

Have a good day everyone...Miss A stirring!

Hi girls,

AJP/OP/Ali and others with unsettled babies - hoping you're all having a better day today
    Tarkine - We put Mr. J in the pram yesterday for the first time to try and settle him. He didn't like it but this morning it worked much better. We just put it on the flattest setting, strapped him in and put a wrap over him. Thanks for the luck with the appt this arv - I'm actually a bit nervous about it because no one seems to know what it is or have seen it before (fluid collecting around my belly button under the skin and a long way from the c-sect scar).
    Holly - You must have been so scared hun! Glad everything turned out ok.
    Shell - Where did you buy that sucker-outter thing? Mr. J is sneezing a lot at this stage and I had wondered what we do when he gets a blocked nose.
    Nai - yes, the ticker! I thought that when I posted yesterday but had no time. Might try now while Mr. J is down.

AFM - We have had those feeding type frenzies here too since birth it seems! I refuse to feed more frequently than 2 hourly because I don't think he needs it so we're practising all the settling stuff to get to the 2 hourly mark. Usually his feeds last around 50 mins, he is settled for 20-30 mins and then we get him either off to sleep or he fires up again and we have 30 mins of screaming before it's back on the bb.

Last night Mr. J fed at 9:15pm, then at 2:10am and then not until 8am!! I have read that babies can go 5-6 hours between feeds but is this normal in a one week old??? A 5 hour break followed immediately by a 6 hour one? I was unable to benefit from the potential for unbroken sleep as I seem to be in a pattern of waking every 90 mins and wondering what he is up to Has anyone elses baby gone this long between feeds? He has only had one feed since 8am too at 10:45am. Both of these were long feeds though.

Holly that must have been so scary! I'm glad he is ok - do you have a sensor monitor for him at all?

KAz, I hope your appointment goes ok - it sounds a bit odd but I hope it is nothing to worry about. I'm not sure about the feeds but bigger babies can go longer without feeds than smaller babies.

I have FINALLY got Miss J down for a nap so I managed to get the washing out and have some lunch - might try for a nap myself

Ok - I currently have 2 kids and a DH asleep...... Hmm...... I wonder how many minutes that will last. I have taken the phone off the hook and am lying on the couch. Bad I know, but I just fed Emilia to sleep. Mental note: Don't make a habit of it,.......

Ali - I really hope that you have a better day today. Good on you for even trying to cook with everything going on. I wouldn't have even done that. As for making DH's dinner/lunch etc. I would have been saying make it yourself!!

Nai - I might have to give the expressing a try. I just hate being stuck to the pump. Last time I had to express for the first month as DS didn't latch on properly. In fact he was syringe fed for the first week or so. And woo hoo on staying in the cradle. Mis E did alright last night in the cradle too. In at 9:00, fed 10:30, and straight back in. Fed at 2am, and straight back in. Fed at 6am and snooze with me, DH and J till about 9am!!

Shell - Poor little poppit with a blocked nose. I hope she is feeling better now.

Laura - Hope today is a better day for you. I got some rest yest arvo. Took J and E to te park, and ran into a friend so J had a play with her kidlets. E slet in the sling, so I felt like I still got quality time with J.

Tarkine - In a way it may be nice to have the youngest bub, as you can see the progress those bubs have made and think that it will be you soon! I am going to another mothers grp in the area, as we are new to the area. It is a group for people that have had a second bub, so it is nice as all the little toddlers get to have a play while we have a chat.

Ellie- Nice AV!! If you think the spewing is becoming an issue, go to the doctors. It may be reflux. J had reflux and ended up on zantac. In fact Iam thinking that E may have reflux too, and have made an appt for her to see the Gp tomorrow.

Jols - and a well deserved serve from you! I sometimes think that our DH's/ DP's forget that we are at home all day. Work is a break, in fact going to work is so much easier than looking after 2 children.

Holly - that must have given you such a fright. Miss E did that 3 times while I was in hossy. She had a mucous build up still. Freaked me out. But at least I had medical help. I also love that DH is a paramedic. There has been twice when J has had febrile convulsions, and I freaked out, but as DH was home, he managed the situation. I also need to update my CPR. DH is going to bring home that CPR doll and run through it with me, my mum, and MIL as we are the main three that have the kids at any given time.
    Also because DH was at basketball last week, and a 22 yo guy collapsed next to him on the court. Went into cardiac arrest, and nearly died. DH worked on hom for 45 mins with the ambo crew that arrived about 10 mins after it happened. IF DH wasn't there he prob would have died or ended up with hypoxic brain injury for having such a large down time. Really gave me a fright, as it could happen anywhere.

I live about 40 mins or so from Greensborough. Considering everywhere is at least that far from Gisborne, it is really not that far. I would love to do a mums andbubs movie. DH is on leave from work for the whole of April, so that might be the time to go, as he can stay at home with J. Just got to make sure it is not during the school hols.

I have been feeling good yesterday and today. No more teary's so far. Tired, but managing.

ETA - Kaz - as long as he is not a tiny bub, orvernight I just demand feed anyway. With my DS, he easily did 6 hour stretches. So you are much better off to feed more in the day and have longer night stretches.

Oh Nai I do hope you get a nap. I am discovering that I really need one of an afternoon - they're fantastic!

Yeah - the middy's at hospital said he was more like a 2 week old because he was post dates - so they were saying that's why he was so unsettled and wanting to suck all the time, because he was looking for milk whereas I was behind the eight-ball, so to speak, and only had colostrum at that point.

Meg - Glad to hear you are less teary. Look after yourself.

hi all! just a quick one dont have much time. had MCHN app today little miss piggy has put on just over 2 pounds since she was born.. has grown 4cm so now is 52cm and head has grown 2.5cm so now is 36.5cm

Laura- yay on weight gain, glad you sorted out your boobs.

Meg- Glad to hear you've been feeling little better, hope you got a nap in while everyone was asleep, grab those rare moments.

Kaz- Not sure bout the feeds, I think sometimes in early days they can be bit sleepy so not wake up as often? The sucker outta thing just came with the saline drops, I got from the chemist, Fess Saline drops with aspirator.

Holly- Oh god how scary, did Dr give any reason why he might've been doing it? Thank god hes all okay!

Tarkine- Thats good you made it to the group, do the other mums seem nice?

AJP- Grr at your DH sometimes men are just bit selfish they don't stop and think about what help we may need.

OP- Yeah me and Df are waiting for that 6 week peak, he will tahnkfully be on holidays week 5 and 6 when it reaches the worst of it!

Em's nose has improved thanks to the saline. Took Ash to the park which was good so I could sit and relax while she played and Em slept. Other than that just have a headache.
    Anyone else with toddler get sick of saying "don't wake the baby" or "you need to be gentle".

yep shell constantly reminding sophie to be gentle!!

DH came home early from work today still not impressed!!

kaz awesome sleep blocks!!!!!

holly how scary for you guys, hope it doenst happen again

nai did you get you nana nap? lol:

meg did your mum take J today for you??

ellie maybe just give her the one side

my head is soooo foggy today, so tired its not funny
    millie is very unsettled, had to use a dummy today not keen on using one but i need a break.
    sleeps well in the morning but catnaps all arvo/evening...any suggestions???
    Last edited by Olive; March 19th, 2009 at 04:05 PM.

E is hard to settle too. I have been cuddling her to almost asleep then put her down, and BLING awake again!

I till am sick to saying "be gentle." J always wants "duddles" with E. THen when he does give her a cuddle, he holds her a few mins and then nearly pushes her off his knee!!

ANJP - Yeah mum took J, and you know what, he has been such a delightful child today, I felt bad that he went with her. I always miss him terribly, but I might be able to work on settling Miss E in the next few days without constant noise.

Oh - I purchased a second hand baby hammock this arvo. Does anyone else have one, and what do you think??

Nai- that is great about J sleeping last night in her cradle, hope the screaming has stopped for you.

Holly- for you and little Leon. That must have been so scary for you. I hope that it doesn't happen again. That is great that feeding is getting better. The rate I am going with photos, Ashlyn will end up having 10 albums before she turns one!!

Jols- They seriously dont think sometimes. I hope that he makes it up to you today. DP was better this morning I actually woke up to him bringing me a nice cup of tea. How did millie sleep last night? did you get a new avvy? i love it.

Ellie- i love your avvy. you look beautiful

Tarkine- you are doing a good job. stay positive and that is great that you got to mums and bubs group.

OP- the feeding/screaming combo doesnt sound fun! remember what Det said...its just a phase.

Laura- good to hear that you dont have mastitis

..............okay girls I started writing this post at 10:39am and it is now 6:03pm and thought I should come back and finish it!...............

Where does the time go....

On a good note for me today;

We had the MCHN come this morning and Ashlyn is now 3.91Kg, she was 3.65Kg when she was born so in 10 days she has put on 260grams!!!! I swear its all those feeding frenzies that she has!

We had our best night so far in regards to sleep. She fed at 8:30pm, 12pm, 3:45pm and 6:45pm then we had a lovely sleep together until 9am.

I have had MIL over today showing me photos of DP when he was a bub and his baby book and she watched Ashlyn while I quickly ducked up to centrelink to get a rent assistance form. It seems we qualify for a little something there!

Hope you all had a good day.

yep new avvy ali!!!
    sounds like you did have a good night!!!!
    glad your entitled to some rent assistance!! awesome!!

meg i think shell has a hammock, J will be fine!!! he'll enjoy the extra attention.

ive been reading my wonder weeks book and it looks like were have our 5 week wonder week at 4 weeks!

Haven't got hammock yet, borrowing one off a friend altho we have been having better nights (except when nose plays up!)

My hug a bub arrived today! Bloody hell tho you need a degree to put it on, had to watch the dvd a few times and pause each step. So cute tho. Em was tired so popped her in and she shut her eyes and went straight off to sleep, recommend it girls!

Ali- yay on Ashlyn's weight gain, thats great too bout the rent assistance, hopefully will make finances little easier.

AJP- We usually have the same prob, good sleep in morn unsettled in arvo (this is why I told Df no boys night til after Ash is in bed). We use the dummy mainly and the bouncer, so while she is sucking away I rock it with my foot. Some days will get her into deep sleep other days as soon as dummy falls out crying and we have to start all over. Otherwise cuddles but bit hard when trying to get dinner and Ash bedtime things done.

shell DH got her to sleep tonight by popping in the dummy was a little annoyed with him as im not keen on using it all the time.
    glad the hugabub worked!!!

millie had her MCHN ck today shes now 4.61kg up 500g in 2 weeks, 54.7 cm and head 37.1

nighty night girls sleepy dust all round!

Finally managed to get Ash down. We just had the last 4.5hours of feeding, settling, re-settling,feeding, settling! Arrrrhhh My nipples are sore. Now I might have a chance to go and have some dinner and maybe a bath. She better sleep well tonight to make it up to me.

Sorry thats all from me...buggered now. Hope you all ahve a good night sleep.

I'm beginning to get really worried that DS hasn't had a weight check for two weeks now - still no news from the MCHN - I'm going to ring them tomorrow and find out when someone will ring me to come around - or else offer to go around there again. I started to bleed again today after carrying the baby and capsule yesterday - really OVER the medical profession at the moment.

Sorry no personals, DS was very clingy again today - just put him down and hoping he will sleep for more than 20 minutes.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast