Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies born February 16th-28th 2009 #2

AJP - I had 9 bags of saline over a couple of days and then three units of blood which took around 10 hours to go through with those evil 15 minutely vital obs so you get nil sleep!!

Thanks everyone for the advice re: attachment. I have spoken to a mate IRL who said it sounds like "ring barking" - so he has been attaching properly but then slipping during the feed and so he pulls his head back, sucking and then comes forward to re-attach properly. This has done damage where the nipple meets the areola. I'm going to air dry them more - have been doing the breast milk thing. If it doesn't improve I can give it a rest for 24 hours and express. I feel much better having an action plan.

Hi to everyone - sorry for the lack of personals. I am totally smashed - only got a 30 min arvo nap today. Off to bed now. Sleep well everyone.

Hi all,
    Ok I have afew questions.

Does anyone elses' baby not self settling? I cannot for the life of me get E to self settle in a cot, rocker or anywhere else for that matter except in my arms, the stroller, boob or the car. I end up feeding her to sleep in the evenings, which can take some time if she is not that tired. I really want her to learn to self settle, as I am not that keen on carrying her around all day, or feeding to sleep in the evenings for that matter. I know what the answer is, I just don't think I have the willpower to do it like I did with J. I need to wrap her up, pop her in the cot drowsy, but awake and pat her when she gets distressed. But how long do I leave her going like that before I pick her up and comfort her??!! I hate hearing my baby cry.....

And another question - what do you do when you bub has finally gone to sleep and then poos themselves? Do you wake and change, or would you just leave them????

ajp- im glad u brought that up... i want to drink next weekend for my 21st but i dont really have enough milk to express enough bottles for the night.. do u think it would be ok to use formula for a day??

nai the beer certainly got my supply up too much, was so engorged last night, though i drank it for my satisfaction not to improve my supply!!
    sounds like lunch was great!!

kaz wow 9 bags i got 3 and one of syntocin.lovely to contract all night AFTER giving birth and two units of blood which was uncomfy, hurt my arm, i had it over 4 hours, they sped the last one up as i was having blood pressure issues and needed more saline. as for ob's i had them every 15 mins for about an hour then less often but yes i got woken for them too but this was during the day.
    how are your energy levels??? im struggling bug time with fatigue, i had full blood examination the other day and get results tomorrow, are you on iron?? sorry for all the questions

meg were working on self settling, M is great overnight, i feed change bum them back on same side, then bed, i tell her its sleepytime several times then pop her into bed,ive dont that since the night we got home, i rarely have to settle during the night but usunally do after the pre dawn feed. she doesnt self settle during the day as easily

if shes asleep and poos i leave it

laura if you pump every morning this week you'll be surprised how much milk you get, otherwise have a beer at night

Meg, I leave it too and change at the next feed. J won't self-settle but neither would G until much later. I fed G to sleep and she is a great sleeper - slept through 7pm-7am from 6months (with a dreamfeed until 9months) and I reckon she has woken up less than 10 times during the night since then - and then it's only if she is sick or has a nightmare. J feeds to sleep or is rocked in someones arms generally. However she did fall aslepp on the cushion that G was holding her on this morning so I don't know if that counts as self-settling or trying to block out the over-enthusiastic big sister
    Also, thanks for the PM - I will follow that up!

Laura, I would try pumping every day - especially first thing in the morning and you will be surprised! I got 60ml in 10min this morning (and that was AFTER the 7am feed). I think at this age 120-130ml is a full feed (does anyone else know?)

AJP - yep the beer does definitely increase the engorgement I wonder why?

Meg- I am trying to rock miss E to sleep now as we speak been going for 15mins so far. In the day I have to get her to sleep with the hugabub or rocking in the bouncer or with her dummy. She won't self settle will just cry and work herself into a state. At night its bit easier cause she falls asleep on the boob and then I lie her next to me but she usually needs some patting as well to get her to sleep. In the day I change after a feed and at night between sides so if she poos again after that I leave it cause no way am I gonna wake her just to start all over again!

Kaz- Glad you got some help, not heard of "ring barking" got an interesting name to it! This BFing business can be so hard but gets so much easier. Hope you got a good night sleep.

Nai- I'm in Bentleigh so don't know if thats too far for you, ket me know and I can send you my GPs details. Thats great DD1 is swimming so well, we really need to look into swim lessons, Df was going to do some over summer with Ash but never got around to it so think I should just enrol her somewhere.

Laura- You prolly could do that you may just need to express at or after the party what you would've given so to keep up your supply. Maybe try her with some first so you know she'll take it.

We had a shocker start to the night last night. Started ok, I kicked back in bed with Em on my chest so she could fall asleep properly, had feed 9:15, fell asleep, I put her down, 5 mins later she was screaming and screamed for 2 hours. Poor thing seemed to be in pain and nearly lost her voice, I think it was wind pain cause she was drawing her legs up too. She'd fall asleep on me then just keep waking screaming. I did the whole massage on her tummy and riding her legs and everything whcih helped but as soon as I tried to put her down again screaming. I really should go get some wind drops I think.

Nai, you must be so proud of your DD1 for her swimming efforts! What age did she start?

Kaz, hope you had a good sleep last night.

Megie, nope Leon does not self settle either If he poos in his sleep I leave it til he wakes, which is never long after anyway.

Shell, Leon has wind pain too, it's so awful to watch him struggle I'm in Mckinnon - we're so close! I wonder if we have the same GP

Today we are going to my Dad's and stepmom's for a BBQ. They haven't met Leon yet and are busting to see us. I just hope they don't expect us to stay for long. They said it was a "late BBQ" whatever that means, and DP has work at 3:30am tomorrow so hope they understand.

Have a good day everyone xox

Holly- I noticed last night your location said McKinnon and I was thinking wow that just down the road from me! I wonder if we've passed each other down at the shops and things.

Lol Shell probably! I just updated my location last night as well! Are you a Coles, Safeway or IGA shopper?! If you shop at Coles I've probably pushed a trolley past you many times!

Lol, I usually go to safeway now, lines are alot shorter than coles and isles are bigger! For cheap fruit and veg check out the asian shop next to IGA in centre Rd. So cheap there.

Holly, DD1 started swimming lessons at 6months but we were taking her to the pool from 3months. I daresay we will do the same with DD2 as I will be starting to teach swimming soon. DP and I swim a lot and have always said that we don't care whatever else the girls want to do but they must learn to swim no matter what.

Haha Shell yes we love the asian grocery - they always try to sell you extra at the checkout!

Nai, swimming is top priority here too. I want DS to start lessons as soon as he can. I'm worried about the pool chemicals though and how it could affect his skin - DP has bad eczema so i wouls hate for DS to have some sort of reaction from it.

tarkine- Sad to hear you don't feel like you're coping very well at the moment We all have hard times, I have cried so much!! This motherhood business is really hard!! We are all here for you whenever you need to talk.
    laura- Gorgeous pic!
    Kaz- I was told the same thing! That attachment was perfect, so it wasn't worked out for ages But it wasn't perfect. If it hurts, it's not right! Just make sure you take him off each time if it's hurting and try to attach again. I hope you can sort it out!! Should heal up quickly once you do!! Grace does the same thing at the end of a feed, gets lazy and pulls off a bit, ouch!! Not cool.
    Ali- You are doing so well with your DP working so much and everything!! You are a supermum!! Thanks for the tips!! Lucky DH doesn't care if I don't get anything done so I don't have any expectations at least, lol, he will just be pleasantly surprised if I do anything. Yep, I have some friends lined up to visit this week already! lol.
    shell- Yep, I think I will be becoming a night showerer too, lol.
    Jols- Oh no, what's up with the boobie now??
    Holly- LOL, mine is heaps bigger too, esp at night, I wake up with one massive rock hard boobie! At least then at night she doesn't feed for as long coz there's so much in there and I can get back to sleep quicker! Except for the stupid expressing, getting sick of it, lol, but it's better than the pain!! You sound like you have had lots of troubles too, I'm glad things are looking up!! Must be such a relief!! Oh IKWYM about them getting frustrated and squirming around trying to feed!! I would get so frustrated and cry.
    Nai- Wow, that sounds like a really good outing!! Can't wait until I can get out and do stuff. Not confident enough until I can use both my boobs again though Plus not allowed to drive for 6 wks, bummer.
    Meg- Nope, Grace doesn't self settle either. Have to rock her or feed her to sleep. She is better at night though. She must know it's night and I'm not in the mood, lol. If she's not quite asleep when I put her back to bed at night she mostly just drifts off to sleep when I turn the light off by herself, phew.

OMG I have taken so long typing this there's going to be a million new posts when I hit reply that I've missed.

Did you guys send out birth announcements?? I'm trying to make one up now with also a sort of thankyou attached for all the presents we've got. I need to get some better photos of her though!

OMG Grace has started this terrible screaming now where she will scream and hold her breath and she goes all blue around her mouth. It's scary!! And it's not like I've even left her crying for ages until she gets to that or something, she goes straight from happy to screaming like I'm trying to kill her!! lol. Mostly when she's getting her nappy changed and doesn't want to. Other times she loves getting her nappy off. No idea what her problem is, talk about mood swings

ARRGHH JUST LOST MMY POST...

ajp-i hate beer lol do u mean pump after first morning feed?

nai- i have 2 containers in the freezer with about 130mls in each.

shell- thanks, im going to try and express as much as i can and if it comes to it i will try her on formula on friday and see if she takes it and if not then i guess i wont be drinking!!

holy crap i cant believe im turning 21...

holly - have a good day at the BBQ!!!

Hi everyone,

Meg - Mr. J has trouble self settling in the afternoon/evenings. We are trying everything at this point. Last night, nothing seemed to work until he was put back on the bb for a quick feed. I leave his nappy until the next change - I changed him once after a feed in hossy but was told that with disposables, they suck most of the moisture away from his skin and it would never be long before the next change anyway.
    Shell - What are wind drops? I think that's why Mr. J was so unsettled last night. He finally poo'd early this morning and it was more solid so I think my milk may have changed?
    Holly - Have a good time at the BBQ! Don't feel bad if you leave early - with your DP starting work at that hour and a newborn you'd be well within your rights to only stay an hour or two.
    AJP - I am ok in the mornings energy wise if Mr. J has had some decent breaks between feeds overnight (but not my normal self still) but then after lunch I just hit a brick wall and need to lie down. I can barely think and anything and everything brings on the tears. I've never felt so tired in all my life. My iron levels halved from 119 at 28 weeks preg to 65 in hospital after the birth. I am taking breastfeeding multi-vitamins plus a natural iron supplement that doesn't constipate. It's called Floradix and you get it from health food stores. It's taken twice per day about 30 mins before meals (which can be a challenge!). Doesn't taste too bad. Did you get lots of fluid retention from all the transfusions? I blew up like a balloon!!
    SJ - could the screaming and blue round the lips mean wind? I was told in hossy that if Mr. J turned a bit blue between his nose and lips and under his bottom lip it could be a sign of wind. Sounds scary if Grace is holding her breath but breathing is such a basic instrinct she will breathe again. Is she holding her breath while trying to push? You know how we do if we're straining on the toilet?

AFM - Holding the back of Mr. J's head in place while he feeds makes it much more comfortable and stops him pulling back on my bb. Also, the swelling in my legs and feet is going down. I can almost make out my ankles again and my calves look mostly the right size!! Whoohooo! They told me it might take 6 weeks. Everything seems to take 6 weeks after a c-sect

Hi to everyone else - hope you're all having a good day with your bubbas.

So sorry I haven't been around...just getting through the days and the nights! Gosh this really is the hardest job in the world...I LOVE it but I'm stuffed! DH back at work tomorrow so maybe Miss A and I will get into some sort of routine and then I will have a few minutes to catch up on how everyone is travelling! Still worried about the chucking and runny poos...seeing the Paed in 10 days...'sigh'.
    Have a great day everyone...wishing you settled bubs and lots of sleep! Exxx

nai we started taking sophie to baby play at the pool at 3 months then lessons around 6 months, cant wait ot take millie to the pool!!

sara i was engorged due to drinking some beer !! was good though!
    ive also heard about the blue been wind.

kaz i hit the wall too around 2-3 in the arvo, no sleeping here though cant with a toddler i'll see what my iron is tomorrow, not fluid really, just a small amount that i did notice around pubic area, boobs when my mik came in and feet in the hopital, i mananged to pee it all out!!

BBL...lunch ready

HI girls,
    Great night here last night. We had a great night out at SIL house for a birthday dinner for her and Miss A was so well behaved. Only started to cry in the car on the way home as she was due for a feed and it was 11:30pm. She settled though by sucking on my little finger and fell asleep then she had a feed at midnight and slept through until 5:15am then 8:30am. I have to be happy with that. We went out for a walk today which was lovely. I have noticed that I am bleeding more (sorry TMI) today and my stitches feel a bit more tender (this was before I went for a walk as well.

In regfards to settling, Miss A will only settle on the boob, being rocked in arms or patted, or in the pram walking. I find it easier for her to slef settle at night after her feed but she is already very drowsy when I put her down. The hardest time I find to settle her now has been between 9am and lunchtime.

So much to catch up on...I will come back later for some personals as right now I just need to chill out on the couch and make the most of having time with DP.

hope you all are having a good weekend

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast