Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born February 2006 #4

Julia(snowgirl) are you back in australia? I sent you a thankyou for ruby's shirt its so fab.I sent it to the postcard you sent me?
    I hope everything is going great for you apart from the missing screws!! Kisses to wolf and zara! I think im due a photo.
    Sorry for hijacking your thread girls.Julia and i used to be belly buddies back in 2004!

Hi Kaydee -
    Thanks for the message of greeting! How long have you been living in Germany? My mom and I figured out awhile ago that my sibs (have younger sis who is 30 and younger bro who is 23) and I are probably AT LEAST 3/4 German as both my parents come from German backgrounds - though you would have to go back MANY generations before you found relatives who actually LIVED in Germany! I'm sure you miss Australia a LOT! I do get homesick for the US - but not really for the place - more the people I left behind.

I'm with you on number of kids - have always wanted four but will agree to stop after three if necessary we will see. Originally I thought a 2 yr age gap between each would be good but this first child (DS) has proven to be high need so I'm thinking we'll wait a bit longer. And I would like to try for a winter baby with #2 which would mean I would go for the 3+ yr age gap rather than 2+ age gap but we'll see how I feel about it in another year or so.

Good luck with the moving and I hope to hear from you again soon...

on the whole age gap between bubs. zara was 31 months when aiden was born and it was sooooo easy as she could help me/hold him etc. but also she was such and still is an easy kid (dream baby is was my SIL called her) to entertain and look after.
    i always said a 2 year age gap was great but aiden took us longer to conceive than we had hoped. thats why we thought we would try when aiden turns one (although ive been off the pill for 3 months) we are not really trying as yet. wemight be lucky to fall pg straight away but like heidi said i would like another winter baby too.

anyone heard from nadine, apple, bec and more lately?

Hello girls!

I started a reply yesterday but then DH kicked me off the computer and he closed the window arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg. So I will start again (but a bit shorter I think)

Caddie - HI! no, I didn't get your card, I had wondered if it had arrived. Glad to hear it did and that you liked it. BUT your card might still arrive - for some reason mail has been really slow getting to us ... I dunno... it's really weird.. A card from a Dutch friend took almost 3 weeks ... something wrong with the Swiss mail or so... How is life with 2 kids? Yes, we are back in Oz now. We'll be here until the end of January.

Welcome to the group, Heidi!

re. no. of kids - we are also somewhere between 3-4. Definitely not done yet - but will definitely leave a bigger gap than last time. Currently it's really exhausting I find. Zara is very demanding and Wolf is having a bit of a jealous phase again... well.. I guess the fact that our nanny returned to London and I'm alone with the kids again also doesn't help... though MIL and FIL have been helping lots (but they were pooped after spending 5 hours alone with the kids the second day we arrived - they both said that they just passed out at 8 p.m. that day... ha ha ... now they know WHY we have a nanny... they said they forgot how hard it is to deal with 2 little ones... )
    I was thinking of having another kid when Zara is 2, so sometime in 2008. So 2007 I get to have my body back and then maybe fall pregnant towards the end of the year or so.. Wolf now at 2 years is just such a big boy. You can reason with him, he can express himself, he can play on his own... 15 months was just way too short ... but we DID have the nanny so it worked out okay. I think if I hadn't had help, I would have cried every night from exhaustion... especially since we had no help from family in London as everyone was so far away.
    I'M RAMBLING! So much to keeping it short this time... I think I'm tired too and I feel like I can't really express myself properly... (definitely a sign I SHOULD keep it short)
    So I'd probably agree with Narelle - a 2 year age gap seems great... and I think anything between 2-3 years really is perfect... but at the end of the day... whatever happens happens...

Katie - how nice to know you will definitely be going home!! How exciting. Man... I wonder too how your ILs will cope considering they speak such little English. Do they expect you to be a tour guide the whole time??? hmmmmmmmm

Zara is getting so mobile now. She is pulling herself up constantly and she loves to stand at the coffee table and eat there (and smear vegemite and cheese and toast all over it... doh!).

Snowy

Hi Everyone!
    I should be heading to bed as it is 10:45pm but I thought I would say hello first. I'm really tired tonight though because agreed to baby-sit my best friend's daughter who will be 6 yo in January. It was a good night as she is well behaved but it was much different then dealing with just one child - it gave me a good indication of how different it will be when there are two children.
    Thanks for the greeting Snowy Girl!
    My younger sister and I are 15 months apart and I have NO idea how my mom coped with it especially since she went back to work part-time when my sister was 3 months old. But then my MIL had four under the age of 5 and that just floors me. But then that was 40 years ago in Bangladesh and things were a LOT different then!
    James is pulling himself up all the time too - unfortunately he hasn't mastered the idea of holding on to whatever he pulls himself up on. He pulls up to the standing position and then often lets go immediately and falls down. It is rather nerve wracking.
    I also spent half the day looking for the red ring for his Fisher-Price ring stacker and finally asked DH when he came home and he knew exactly where it was (behind a door) so that was good. Ah the joys of a mobile child!
    Oh, nearly forgot too - he got to the dog food bowl before I could catch him this morning and shoved a piece of food in his mouth before I could stop him! YUCK! I fished it out of his mouth but I'm not too fussed. My younger brother used to scoop whole handfuls of food out of the dog bowl, dip it in the dog's water and then eat it! He is 23 yo now and still alive so it can't be too bad. Having said that though, I'll start picking up the dog's bowl during the day!
    Hope you all had a good day and I'll chat more soon - for now it is off to see if I can get a reasonable night sleep - last night James did a 4 hour block followed by a 3 hour block - though we both fell asleep in the rocking chair during the feed for about an hour - but that was a good night so perhaps tonight will be a repeat or maybe even something better.
    Okay, I know I'm tired - I'm rambling - goodnight!

Welcome lilprecious - nice to have you around!
    Well, ive been lurking but as soon as I go to post something comes up!!!! Allegra is into everything.. kind of standing and wanting me to hold her hand all the time to walk but in saying that I dont think its going to happen soon. who knows.
    Starting to think about her birthday party now as we all know what Christmas is like.. its here and then gone and then its JAN and well she was a JAN bub not a feb bub.. oh lord my baby will be one soon.
    Not heard from nadine for ages - hope she and Kayla are ok.
    OK - got to go save my laptop bag from a little person....

Hi everyone -
    Just thought I would drop a line and say hello to everyone and I can't believe it is December! James is learning new things every day it seems. Just today he figured out he can use the wall to stand up and he is starting to figure out that he can hold on to things and move around. This month is DH and my turn to clean our church (it is a very small church) and James and I walked down this afternoon to make sure everything is ready for tomorrow and he entertained himself using two chairs to stand up. It took him about 5 minutes before he had himself balanced because his legs were so sprawled out, but he concentrated and got himself upright and balanced and then looked at me with the biggest grin on his face.
    He is getting independent too - wants to feed himself but can't handle the spoon quite yet so we are eating mainly finger food at the moment. Has anyone in the group started letting their bub experiment with the spoon? What is the best food to use that will cling to the spoon well and not be too messy - I'm more interested in lots of food getting in James' mouth so he feels like he has accomplished something.
    Night sleep is still an issue with us but he is a GREAT day sleeper and I need my breaks in the daytime so I would have to say I would rather he take good naps during the day then sleep 10-12 hours straight at night but hardly at all during the day.
    I guess that is all for now - he is down for a late nap now but will probably only sleep for 45mins - an hour so I should get something done!
    Hope all is well with all of you and I'll look forward to reading posts from you soon.

Oh yes, Heidi, that sounds familiar. Zara won't let me spoon feed her at all recently. She only eats if she can feed herself... very annoying as it is soooooooo messy! She has not tried the spoon yet but loves to use her hands.
    What you can also try is a kiddie fork and put things on the fork (like peas or tiny carrot bits) as things don't fall off a fork as easily. Almost everything falls off a spoon really... but if you don't mind, just let him experiment!

Teena and I met on Thursday. It was great meeting her and Allegra. Allegra is such a happy baby! And she has Teena's beautiful brown eyes.

Zara loves to walk everywhere. I am forever holding her hands and walking around with her. She makes herself stiff as a board if I want to put her on the floor and refuses to let go of my hands! SUch a little character!!!

Haven't heard from Emma in such a long time!! Hope all is okay!!

SNowy

Hello to everyone,
    Allegra gets ****ty with me trying to feed her lately. I try and be patient but she is not interested in food at all... I think its because she is getting some more teeth coming through.
    I met the lovely Snowy and Wolf and Zara last week as Snowy mentioned and they are the most gorgeous well behaved children.. they are so gorgeous and you could eat them... Allegra just stared at them as she does with all new faces.. she is such a sticky beak!!
    Hope everyone is going good. Allegra decided she didnt want to sleep last night for some reason, I think it was her teeth though. She woke up twice which she never does.. I think she wanted a cuddle and some of mumma's loving!
    Have a good day ladies

Wow, Its nice there have been a few posts. Ive been without internet for a week, so im happy to get it back, even if it is slower than before.

Talking about sleeping. Dh is worried Ben is sleeping too much. Ben's pattern is like this:
    8.30am wake
    10.30am - 1pm Nap
    3pm - 5/6pm Nap
    8pm Sleep.
    He doesnt wake during the night, and if i calculate it right, he is only awake 6 hours of the day!! He is really happy and very active when he is awake, but it can be very annoying, because i hate messing up his routine. He NEVER sleeps in his pram when he is tired, just sits there in a zombie mode and then gets really cranky. Which means, i have to carefully plan when i can leave the house. Maybe its just the weather making him sleep so much, its been very cold lately (but not as cold as it's supposed to be tho).

Anyway, about the standing. The other day i put Ben into his Cot, and heard him yelling for attention, so i went in and he was standing up in his sleepingbag with his head over the bar. I honestly thought the Bed was low enough so that it wasnt possible for him to lean over, but i was wrong. Ended up having to lower the cot to the lowest level. Now, he loves pulling himself up. I love seeing the concerntration in his eyes. Ive started putting a heap of pillows on the floor, making a maze for him...

We are all moved into our new house. I LOVE it. Its so homely. Benny loves it too, we had no trouble moving him into his new room. If anything, he sleeps better now!

We had the "aunts" over (MIL sisters and SIL's) yesterday. One of them mentioned he 6 year old didnt even sit up until he was 12 months old. So she was so surprised that Ben could pull himself up to stand already.

Snowy - I know. Im very nervous that i will have to be translator. But Dh tells me he promises i wont have to be. I honestly dont like the thought of having to look after them. I wonder why they dont want to learn a few sentences before they go either. I mean, i cant really talk, my speaking German isnt that fantastic, but i try. And i suppose i can always rely on my English here as a backup, as there is a big chance that someone speaks english in Germany. But in Oz you have like a 1% chance of that person being able to speak German. Ahwell. It is nice that they are coming though.

Its so nice to hear from you all!! Keep posting!

Kaydee -

I must say I'm rather jealous at how much Ben is sleeping as my son sleeps so little! I wouldn't know what to do with myself if he were sleeping 12 hours through the night, plus two long day naps as well!!

James is awake at 8am, then goes down for a morning nap around 11am and if I'm lucky he'll sleep 2-3 hours, but more usual is about 90 minutes. Then he will take another nap around 4pm for about an hour.

I try to have him in bed by 8:30pm but sometimes it is 9pm or later - tonight it took me nearly 2 hours to get him asleep and in bed and then he woke an hour later. It remains to be seen how the rest of the night will go.

I will keep this post short and put the rest of our dinner away and head to bed. I'm glad to hear that you are settling in well.

How old is Ben?

Ben is just over 9 months old. will be 10 this month (on Christmas day). I love that he sleeps so long, but i hate the comments i get "that can't be normal!". I've been sick lately with the flu, and im so exhausted, i havent had time to really get over it. so im happy he sleeps for long, gives me a chance to relax. Dont be jealous. I have tricks to get Ben to sleep for so long. We have black-out blinds (standard in Germany) and if they are shut tight, the sun doesnt wake him up.

Ben stayed at the IL's while we were moving. they stuffed up his sleeping pattern because they didnt believe he slept so long. For example, they would put him down.. But if he was still awake like 10 mins later, they would get him out "oh, he didnt want to sleep". He would barely nap there, and if he did, the times were all over the place. MIL has this thing where she has a nap in the afternoon, which is fair enough.. But she would nap with ben in the bed. I know that sounds completely ok, but i think he got used to having someone next to him... AND, because he was in the same room as them, he would slightly wake with the noise at 5.30am, so they gave him bfast at 5.30! If Ben wakes that early at home, i ignore him and keep his door closed unless he is crying, and he always goes back to sleep. So the first few days of settling back into his old pattern was a bit of a struggle.. But its back on track now. well, that was a bit off the subject, but i had to get that out :-)

Kaydee -
    Well I totally understand about the IL thing. We live with my FIL and now that DS is more mobile FIL is saying more about what DS does. FIL didn't interfere when DS was small but now is all concerned about him hurting himself if he falls over, is terrified of GERMS, and really has no concept of what is normal for a baby at this age as he worked away from home for long periods of time when my DH and his sibs were little. But FIL's health is such that I would be VERY concerned about him living alone, and I'm honestly not sure how much longer he will live and I want him to have as much of a relationship with my son as possible so I put up with a lot - knowing that there probably isn't much time left with him on this earth. Sorry to go on about that...

How is Ben with his food? James is not all that interested in solid food at all and having a LOT more b/f (mostly at night) so I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to tempt him to eat more solid food. I know that breastmilk is the most important thing until he is 12 months and I don't want to wean him or anything, I would just like him having more b/f's during the day and less at night.

James is very independent these days and wants to only feed him self so I've been doing lots of experimenting with finger foods. Lunch today was a success - he let me feed him all but one spoonful of a 100g tub of yogurt, and he also ate almost a whole slice of cheese, about 1/3 of a banana and a couple of small handfuls of puffed wheat cereal. He then had a b/f before going for his late afternoon nap. Is that enough food for him to be eating in one meal or should I be trying to get more in him?

Hello all!
    Katie - I hear you about the inlaws. whenever allegra is with mine she is stuffed that night as they let her sleep whenever and always give her milk at the oddest times.. but hey what do you do?
    Heidi - at this age, the kids should be having 3 meals a day (i think.. correct me if I am wrong anyone) I do remember reading that some bubs who dont eat as much during the day have more night feeds as they are hungry. Its a vicious circle I guess. They have a large feed in the middle of the night and then the next day dont feel like their food and the same happens again that night - they are hungry and have too much milk and not enough solids. Allegra went through a stage where this was happening and as soon as I got the feeding better during the day she stopped waking for feeds at night and slept heaps better.
    In saying that, milk is really important still and Allegra has 3 milk feeds a day as well as breakfast, lunch and dinner.
    I cant believe xmas is just around the corner yikes...

Christmas has come up very fast this year!! Which is good in a way, but i really have to get Chrissy cards to send out. Im so lazy. Also I feel that if the card/presents that i give arent perfect, I've failed. The other year i gave MIL a huge gift basket (expensive too) from the body shop (u know, the African Spa package). Because DH said that she would love it. A few weeks later, she asked Dh what it was!! And a few months later, i found it in her cupboard still in the package. I was so peeved.

Enought about that... Re: food. Ben has a bottle for bfast (sometimes weetabix or something similar), then at 1pm he has his big meal (meat, veges). At about 4pm he has fruit and some wholemeal bread (sometimes a baby cookie). And then has another bottle at bed time (8pm). I give him tea or Juice (mixed half with water) during the day because if i just give him water, he doesnt drink enough. I let him eat the bread alone (plain) but i have no idea what to put on the bread!! Any suggestions?? what do you guys give your baby on bread?

Gotta go do some cleaning, take care!

PrincessT -
    James is having 3 meals a day - maybe he just doesn't want much solid food right now because he is teething so badly. It does seem that his appetite is coming back slowly. I already mentioned what he ate for lunch. For dinner tonight he ate some puffed wheat cereal, soft cooked carrot sticks (2-3 of them) several handfuls of peas, and about a tablespoon of the puree I made up for him which was chicken, corn, carrot and spinach. He had a nice b/f after that so we'll see how tonight goes.
    At the moment he is fighting sleep something fierce. He has been going down for naps really easily but nighttime sleep is a different story. It is nearly 10:30pm and we've been trying to get James down to sleep since 8pm. I tried from 8pm until 9:15pm and then DH took over and he is still trying. I may have to go take over for him but we'll see.
    I'm lucky, James takes water from his sippy cup really well so I haven't offered him any juice or anything else yet.

Heidi - Allegra is not interested in food either at the moment - her top teeth are coming through too so it definately sounds like its the teeth for both of them!
    Allegra loves water too. I do give her juice sometimes but not that often. I get the baby juice (yep i am a sucker) and she seems to like it when I do give it to her.
    Katie on bread I put a little vegemite or avacado for Allegra. I am going to soft boil an egg tommorrow and dip in the bread to see if she likes it. I think from 9 months its ok for the yolk and 12 months the white? I also want to try and give her a bit more cheese.. I was thinking of making some cheese cubes up for her as she hasnt had them before. She had some parmesan on her food but not cheese alone as such.
    Has anyone tried their little ones with fish yet?

Hello everyone!

re. day routine / feeds

Zara wakes at 6 - 6:30 and then has a bowl of weetbix (with cows milk) and afterwards 1/2 bottle of formula
    she naps from 9-11 (often shorter, just 30 mis, but lately seems exhausted and has slept for up to 2.5 hours)
    12 o clock lunch is a toast with butter and vegemite, water and fruit (nectarine, pear, peach)
    another nap from 2-4 (again used to be 30 mins but latley is 2 hours)
    I used to give her a bottle then but cut it out yesterday and she didn't mind, i gave her some dried apricots and a rice cake instead
    dinner is whatever we are having (last night was stir fry - she loved munching on all those veggies, especially the babycorn - though most ended up on the floor)

Zara does not like to be fed anymore. She tolerates the weetbix but it;s really hard to get any puree into her, she prefers to feed herself - Teena, maybe that's why Allegra is so difficult?? Zara is happiest when using her hands to shove things into her mouth (and will actually sit still for 30 mins... yeah)

Snowy
    Last edited by Snowgirl; December 8th, 2006 at 12:51 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast