Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Babies Born February 2007

Hello,
    Kel - it drives you mental doesn't it when there seems to be this 'competition' on whose baby does what and when! Just keep doing what you're doing - you're a legend and doing really well. Jemima is your baby and you what is best for her, not BIL.
    I am also not using a dummy - I haven't had a need for one so haven't given one - we got one in one of the freebie bags you get but I don't even know where it is. DP's Nanna was on at us about giving him a dummy when we were at her house and he was crying - he was crying though because her house was so hot and closed up that we had to go outside into the fresh air before he would stop crying - she was still pushing for the dummy though! I don't have anything against them either, just don't feel the need to use one at this point.

Michelle, GLad to hear the blues have passed - it's so much harder when they won't go to sleep isn't it!

I have my breastfeeding clinic tomorrow now - they had a cancellation in tomorrow's class so I am IN LIKE QUINN!!!! Whoo Hoo - although how I am going to get there (dressed and showered) at 8:30 in the morning is anyone's guess!

Hello girlarinos!

I love mein kleiner Leibling! He rocks! He only cried when the blood was being squeezed out, not for the FOUR attempts at *****ing him, and he's now not crying at every nappy change, nor all the way through his bath. He is a true wunderkind!

Kel, Liebling sleeps next to the bed usually, but as it has been a bit cold he wakes up every time he goes into his little Moses basket, so I'm going to put a hot water bottle in there before bed tonight just to warm it up for him. Liebling also feeds quite a lot - he'll feed and feed and feed, then throw up a bit (why can't he stop before then?), and half an hour later want another feed! I do make him wait a little longer if he's thrown up, just to avoid that again, but he usually goes to sleep after a quick little top-up now. I have no problem with feeding on demand, despite my mother telling me otherwise (how can she tell me I have a problem with it?); after all, I grab food/drink when I'm hungry/thirsty so why shouldn't Liebling do the same?

Lil, hope your wound continues to close! Wow at your hungry baby, that's a lot of milk!

Kirsten, I don't do naked days now. I did try one day where I was in just jeans and a towelling robe (too cold for fully naked!), so much nicer for my nipples, but BiL popped round to see Liebling and of courseDH let him in... well, can't complain, but I really wasn't dressed for it! I really don't care who sees me feeding Liebling, but when he's bobbing on and off and I'm flashing the world I'd rather have had some warning! Just a minute to get Liebling off, give him to DH and pull my robe clossed! People have also told me it's "good" Liebling knows how to use a bottle, but let's face it, how hard is it to learn?

Michelle, yay on the blues passing!

As for dummies, I hate them (well, I hate the way MiL and SiL stick one in Niece's mouth whenever she makes a noise and she is 14 months old and only has one word so far... personally, I love to have Liebling talk to me, just not suck constantly on me because when he's not hungry he just nips at my nipples, which hurts!), but Liebling loves to suck and until he discovers he can control his hands then he can have one... my fingers were being worn to the bone! I still prefer him to have my finger to the dummy, but sometimes I just need to put him in his chair with the dummy so I can eat. Liebling also does longish days - yesterday he was up from 11am til 4pm and 6pm until gone midnight: I confess I fell asleep feeding him and only woke up at 2am to get myself to bed. This is where co-sleeping rocks... Liebling woke up, had a feed and went back to sleep without me having to do anything but register that he's on there! He's been in bed with me the last two nights just so we can sleep as he's not liking his crib right now. DH is in the nursery so I don't have to worry about the bed being too small. Coffee morning this morning has been called off, so he can stay sleeping for the morning: I quite like him sleeping until midday because usually he goes to sleep at 10.30ish at night then, sleeping until 6 with only one feed in the middle of the night. Plus I go out in the mornings and everyone tells me what a well-behaved and handsome little man I have and I like that too! Liebling slept through Church yesterday morning, which bodes well for the Christening next week. He likes having his hair washed too, so I hope he'll stay nice and quiet for John as he does the dribbling water bit.

Oh, Kirsten, forgot to say - my nipples are a lot better now, I used a combination of Avent Nipple Soothing gel that came with the expressing machine and cool gel packs in my bra after feeds. Don't know if you've tried either of those and it didn't happen overnight, but things are better now... until the little blighter decides to take a chomp! It only hurts when he's elongating the nipple so he can get a latch now; see, I told you all my nipples were too small!

Hi everyone,
    I am a bit slack at posting lately, i have been meaning to get on here for about a week and do this.....
    If you dont know me, my name is Jenni, and i had my baby boy Jett on the 23.02. He was a healthy 8lb 3.5oz 51cms long and h/c of 34.5cms. I am not BFeeding, i have troubles (Jett is babe #3) i have with all my kiddies. So FF it is and he drinks a whopping 80-100mls a feed!! No wonder i was having troubles. He has a dummy he doesnt settle without one.
    Zhai is doing well with Jett, i thought he would be very jealous of him, but he is actually really protective of him and runs up and sees if he is ok when he cries..... He is an AWESOME big brother. I am so proud of him.
    Jett is having a little trouble doing #2s. He is constipated. He cries everytime he has to do one and i hate it..... Can anyone suggest something to help him? I do the whole lifting legs up at stomach level etc, that seems to help when he is doing one but his #2s are really hard like pebbles. Is he too young for coloxal drops?

Better go Jett is up

Hi Jenni
    I have no idea really about constipation, probably still have that fun to come but I have heard clockwise tummy rubbing can help???
    I can already imagine if DH and I have more children that Jemima is going to be jealous, very jealous, she is only 17 days old and already spoilt rotten and treated like a princess we are at her beck and call, the dogs are adjusting but I dont think she will give up her spot as top "dog" in a hurry.... you are so lucky Zhai has become protective of Jett, that will be so good when they get older, is Kymmy helping heaps?

Hi girls

I have been soooo busy lately and have obviously not keeping up with things in here... I will try to catch up!!!

James had a school camp last week, and Maddy had a combined schools netball tournament, Mum had a Drs appt and so did Harrison!!! I am exhausted... I have taken the day off doing anything so I can spend some cuddle time with Harrison!!

There is fantastic news though... On Friday, Harrison had a Dr's appt with our family Dr... this is the first appt since having Harrison... anyway, I got Harrys 1-4 week check done, and found that Harry had lost more weight, despite me doing everything I could to make feeding better for us. Dr M checked out Harrys TT and told me that he would refer us to Paediatric Surgeons who visit the hospital once a month. He called up to find out when the once a month was, and it was the following Monday. I got the last appt available, which was 10:45am. Dr M told me that they would assess Harry there and book him into John Hunter hospital for the actual snipping.

Harry and I went there yesterday, and we saw the most lovely surgeon who assessed Harrys TT and snipped it there and then!!! Harry cried for a second, I think it was more because of his head being held, when his head was let go, he stopped. There was one tiny drop of blood, and Harry smiled at me when I changed his nappy... So, I don't think it bothered him too much. OMG, the relief that I felt with his first BF was indescribable!!! Harry is drinking like a trooper, he was guzzling so much yesterday, you could hear his gulps. He fed for an hour, and brought up his wind, then had a little vomit. I like to think this was because he was so full!!!
    He slept much more soundly yesterday too... although, he was demanding feeds every hour... I guess he is catching up.
    It is so nice to feed without dreading it, and without shields.
    I am just so happy to be feeding properly that I could cry. I was standing at the formula on Sunday night, and was about to give in and buy some. I am glad that I have persevered.

Sorry for the selfish post... I promise I will come in and do personals asap... it will hopefully be easier now that Harry is feeding better
    Last edited by Lisa; March 6th, 2007 at 10:33 AM.

Lisa, that is fantastic news hun!!!!!!!
    What a relief to finally have it over and done,, and at a young enough age that it didnt bother him at all,,,, now you just have a nice long and happy breastfeeding relationship to look foward to with him Congrats!!
    Love Lil

hello ladies
    jen coloxal drops are fine at this age 10 drops a bootle 3 times a day. im having the same probs with ella im breast and bottle feeding she takes 100mls 6 -8 feeds a day i just cant keep up, i express twice a day formula about 4 a day then booby at thru the night 2 times it easier than heating up bottles at 2am
    Ella has a dummy but doesnt need to always settle with it i wasnt going to use a dummy with bubs 4 as weening can be tough on eveyone but Ella was sucking her thumb shortly after her cord was cut so i figure if she wants it she can have it i wont push it i can take the dummy away i cant cut her thumb off.
    kittykat

Hey Lisa
    that is awesome!!! cant believe they took so long to do it though! lucky harrison, why dont they just do it as soon as they notice it if it is so easy to do??? that would relieve so much heartache...

my life now revolves around finding the baby change rooms in the shopping centres! it is so freakin hot i try and get out ESPECIALLY with benji home to drive me places but we have to stop at least once every shopping trip to change or feed ho hum....

i am tired today, even though i had a nap this morning, now i dont want to have a nap coz when i wake up i see benji - bless his cotton socks - has tried to help but did everything in wrong order.... yes we need to organise back room but probably after brekky dishes, which i coulda told him if i was awake!!!

Hi all!

Jenni, are you giving Jett cool boiled water as well as milk? I've been advised to only use water for Liebling's top-ups now (if he needs them) and that will sort out the tiny bits of solids in his poo, but also that FF babies need water more in hot weather - not a problem for me at the moment!

Kel, isn't it wonderful that you're meeting all fo Jemima's needs? She's going to grow up to be a very content, secure little girl and not need so much pampering when she's a little older! Well done you!

Yay Lisa for the TT snip! Harry sounds like Liebling with the feeding - stuffs himself so full he has to get rid of some! Huzzah for our champion feeder-men!

Any ideas from you wonderful women how to get Liebling to sleep in a crib? Yes, I do love co-sleeping, but TBH Liebling is heavy, doing my back in, and last night the only sleep I could get was sat up in bed with Liebling on the breast ALL NIGHT - even asleep, if I tried to lie down, even still cuddling him, he'd be upset until he was back on the breast! I'm trying to put him in his crib when he starts yawning, but he cries once he goes in there, even with dummy, rocking and singing. I'm so tired from all of this! I did manage to get him to sleep in there from awake this morning, but that's because I wasn't in the room and I can't do that all the time as I'm tired and want to use my bedroom on a nighttime too!

Hellooo!

Kirsten - I'm not using a dummy either. Bella likes to suck on her entire hand at times, but that's only when she's hungry, so I really don't see any use for the dummy when a feed is all she's after. How did your breastfeeding clinic go? I'm crossing my fingers for you that it went VERY well!

Jenni - Congrats on the birth of your little boy! I've heard that some brands of formula can cause constipation (only what I've heard, and not personal experience). I'm using Karicare and haven't had any problems - lots of non-solid poos! Also, like Ryn mentioned, giving cooled boiled water is supposed to help too - maybe you should check with the child health nurse??

Kel - Glad to see you're spoiling Jemima which is exactly what little princesses are there for!

Lisa - great news about the TT. It's just a shame you had to wait so long for it!

Kittykat - I used a dummy with my first DD because thumb-sucking was a big bad habit in my ex husband's family (neices and nephews all sucked their thumbs until well into their TEENS!), and I wanted to be able to take it away. It worked well!

Ryn - Not sure what to do about the crib situation. He obviously likes to snuggle up with mummy! Bella's been in her own bed since day one, although sometimes when she's unsettled I have to walk around with her in my arms until she falls asleep before I can put her down. I hope someone else has some good ideas for you!!??

Me - Even though I'm REALLY tired today, I am feeling FANTASTIC! My milk has nearly dried up so I've stopped expressing (I was only getting around 20ml out anyway), so Bella will be on 100% formula from tomorrow (I'm still having a little bit of trouble being "ok" about that, but I'm sure I'll get over it...). She's still doing lots of poos and wees and my sister mentioned yesterday that she looked like she'd grown. Will book her in for her 4 week checkup for next week so we can see how she's going. I'm sure she's going to pass all tests with flying colours! We had a lunch date today and she cried for the last 5 minutes of the trip (she was hungry) and was an angel again when we got there. I'm sure people think I'm lying when I tell them she actually does cry!!!

Better go - Daddy's got a cranky baby on his hands!

Hi everyone,
    I got some coloxal drops from a friend, i only put 2 in his bottle, may try him on some water today,.... But if i remember from Zhai, the water doesnt help much. Zhai did the same thing around the 10 day mark. After we get this sorted im sure he will be fine! He is in a pattern at the moment, with his feeding, he wakes up at 1.30am and then again at 5.30am, by the time im finished feeding him Zhai is awake, so i put Jett back to bed and get up with Zhai..... BUT it being wednesday, its pre-school day for Zhai, aswell as tomorrow, so guess what!! Yep you guessed it, relaxation day for me!! YAY.

Michelle- My milk is drying up, although i have helped it along with some cabbage leaves, not having hot showers (boohoo) i wasnt getting much milk at all, i dont even reckon i was getting 20mls...... I know how hard it is with the thumb sucking, Zhai does it and some days id rather him have the dummy but he chucked it @ 3mths of age and started sucking his thumb.

Ryn- Do you wrap Liebling? He may like to be wrapped? If i cant settle Jett i wrap him tight and he settles, maybe he doesnt like laying flat on his back? You could try rolling a blanket of his lengthways and putting it behind his back so he is propped to the side a little...... Ummmm, Music, a watch near his head (they reckon the ticking sounds like your heartbeat) thats all i can think of at the moment, i hope that helps....

LIL and KK- Yay its so good to see some familiar faces in here!!

Lisa- Good to hear on the TT situation is sorted, I hope little Harrison becomes a champion feeder now!!

Hi to anyone else i missed, Ok better get going and get Zhai ready for the day, catch up with you all later..

hay girls........

im pretty slack these days.......sorry.

Hows everyone travelling?
    i have the rest of this week and all of next week then im starting to work again very slowly.
    im going to name my hours,as i work from home. but i need the money as the medical bills are pilling up big time.

Jonah is going well. so much better than when i had DS1. he is so much more settled, maybe becasue im more relaxed this time. he is feeding well too 80 to 100mls of formulae. im getting him weighed next week and he looks so much bigger. and hes only 2 weeks old.
    he is getting circumsised (sp?) tomorrow we had a metting with the doc yesterday and its pretty straight forward DS1 was done by my OB last time but my new OB doesnt do it. and its $440. More bills!!!!
    the thing that has freaked me out this time around id that DS1 was a screamer and i had to control cry him he used to hold his breath when he cried. Jonah never cries....WTF? he grizzles but he never fully gets really upset, its blown me away this time. everytime i have taken DS1 to school Jonah has been asleep so im trying to feed him just before i go to school to take DS1 and just before pick up in the arvo, its hard getting in and out of the car tho with having the c section as i have a 2 door honda. but what can you do?
    well i better go hang out some washing while my little man is a sleep. i sorta have a bit of a routine down the last 3 days he has fed at the same time roughly everyday. 7.30am (just before school run at 8am)
    sleeps till 10.30am.
    feeds at roughly 11am (i will work from 11am till 1pm most days)
    he sleeps from 11ish till 2pm then i have to feed him and take him up to school at 2.30pm...then he sleeps till 5.30pm
    and he has awake time from 5.30pm till 7.30pm
    goes to bed at 8pm
    DP does 11.30pm feed.
    i do the 3am feed and then he gets up at 6am and i get DS1's school stuff ready.
    so im pretty happy with that so far so good.

have a great day ladies.
    chat again soon.
    take care love TG

Hello,
    Man I'm tired!
    Quinn slept last night for 8 hours! YES YOU READ THAT RIGHT! 8 hours! DP kept getting up to check that he was ok! My boobs were massive and hard and very sore this morning when I woke up because of it!
    BF clinic went really well, I have fed him all day yesterday and all day today so far! Last night not at all because he didn't wake up Just a few tiny little fine tuning things made all the difference - I have inverted nipples so they are sore from stretching at the moment, but not sore when he feeds, so I have the attachment down pat and just need to work on getting through the stretching thing! I'm doing well so far.

Quinn has a bit of colic so that's been fun! As much as I love to cuddle him and soothe him all the time anyway, it's hard when he is screaming and bent backwards, got a few tips from the MCHN and the BF clinic midwife, So i have had no tomatoes and he seems really good today. DP makes lots of tomato based dinners so that might have been upsetting him. (they weighed him yesterday he now weighs 5205!!!! Big little man.

Lisa: YOU MUST BE SO RELIEVED!!!!!!! GOod on you for sorting it all out I can imagine the relief you feel being able to feed properly!!!! GO Harrison!

Kel; I'm like you - I spoil Quinn rotten, he gets lots of cuddles and whatever he likes Anyway you can't spoilt them when they are this age!

Ryn: Quinn gets very sooky sometimes when I'm around and I think that's because he can smell me and I am the food station. When he gets like that I usually get DP to settle him and then put him in his bassinette, that works sometimes...and just the wrapping too like Jenni said. Cool packs seem to make my nipples hurt more, probably because they are innies!

Can everyone believe I managed to get to the BF clinic (ON TIME) with clothes on and showered and with enough stuff for Quinn to stay for a week??? I'm amazed at my skills!

Hope everyone else is doing well!

Jenni: I have heard the water thing too, but can't really help more than that - sorry! The McHN today said that if you put 30 mls water in with the last 10mls of formula and feed that to them it really helps with constipation. But not to put the water in before that.

Hi girls

Kirsten, yay on feeding! I have fairly flat nipples and DH is scared of them when they come out of DS's mouth, they've been pulled that long! Yay for 8 hours too, I can usually get 5 from Liebling (when in bed together) so I hope he's reading this.

TG, yay on the routine, that sounds great! I have to impose routine as DS will sleep through day feeds and then be up all night, must be so nice when they do it themselves! Having said that, now he's used to it, DS is waking himself now.

Jenni, I can only wrap my lad for about 10seconds... I'll do him up as tight as anything and as soon as I put him down the hand is out! He is not into swaddling at all, but doesn't complain about it one way or the other.

DH has anxiety issues so he can't/won't do crying duty, although he has been quite good otherwise. I'm a bit annoyed he hasn't done the pots for 2 nights now (he didn't even cook last night, and has time for computer games) and he knows I hate leaving them. I think I may have to try leaving the lamp on all night tonight, but will just cuddle him all night if I have to; I'd rather he be happy and settled! And I'm sure it won't be for long.

TG I have a 2 door car too (new beetle - worse than most small cars coz of the shape!) I had c-section too and freaked out the first time I got Jemima out as it really hurt then I figured out to reverse out..... i get in front ways undo the seat belt and sometimes sit down and get her out then get up turn around and walk backwards out of the car, no stomach muscles necessary. Is your car auto or manual?? are you already driving?

Kirsten I am so glad feeding Quinn is going to be awesome for you now, I cant imagine what it would be like to have pain when feeding! I hate the constant feeding and would be quite prepared to give it up if it hurt as well!

Ryn, Jemima loves to fall asleep on me as well but as soon as she is asleep she doesnt really stir when i put her in th4e bassinet.... i have heard that babies have 20mins of "fake" sleep then they are fast asleep..... so maybe you have to wait 20 mins before trying to move DS??

I am finally ok with the fact i do whatever Jemima wants, I dont care what anyone else does for their babies and what people think will or wont affect Jem in the long term, we are doing things for the now and she is only 2 weeks old, when she is 6 weeks old i might think about changing things or if we havent figured out a routine by ourselves I might see about that but I have almost got the confidence to say tell people that I have nothing else to do but what she wants, and i dont care if she is spoilt, she is our princess!

went on our first picnic today, i am going to put photos on her site she slept through it! then went to see the baby of a friend of benji's we met in the hospital he was born 2 hours before Jemima, (benji hadnt seen the dad in 6 or so years and they ran into each other in the labour ward! and turns out they live 5 mins away) and I only have fed her twice this arvo!!! that is amazing considering afternoons is usually when i get frustrated and feed her almost hourly! tonight could be interesting!

how is it that we women can survive and function on so little sleep!!!!!! Ella is just so unsettled after she wakes for her first fed during the night. she doesnt cry shes just awake. She is now on full time FF boobs are killing hopfully they wont take long to dry up still a little upset about it Ella will be my last so i wanted to bf her for as long as i could its just to stressfull with 3 other kids to deal with i miss the contact already. Ive put her into her big cot tonight maybe the bassinet was a little uncomfortable for her who knows i give it a go if i get more the 3 hrs sleep ill be happy
    clinic tomorrow ill have a chat with the mw on sleeping you would think with 3 other kids i would have a clue by now but they are all different .
    Kel if jem is happy than thats all that matters and you are right dont worry what others are doing
    jen sorry i forgot to mention the water feds when on formula it will help but i found if that doesnt work the coloxly will or maybe try 50ml cooled water and a teaspoon of brown sugar let the sugar desolve and give to bubs it work for me too one on the old wives tales i was told but it does work
    kittykat

Hey Girls,

Just a quick one.. Ryn I put a heat bead thing in Sari's bed so when I do put her down, the mattress is all warm and she thinks it is a body. Works a treat.
    THe swaddling works too sometimes. If she is really tired she fights it for a minute and then goes to sleep almost mid cry, it is quite funny. Anyway she is grunting and waking for her morning tea so better head off.

hello everyone will try and come in a bit more regularly and do personals! Have a great day.

Nets

Hi all
    Great to see you on again Netty, I hope your little angel is not making you too tired these days.

I got to see the Early Childhood Nurse for the first time yesterday,,,, and got Griffen checked over.
    Little piglet has put on 305 grams in one week!!!!!,,, no wonder he can finally fit into the 000's!. He is also now 55cm in length, with a hc of 38cm,, and 9lb 3oz.
    With that all good,, she then dropped a bonbshell on me that the doctor who checked him over before discharge from hospital made a not in hid blue book that he has a heart murmur!!
    They did not say one word to me about it, so now Ihave to get into my normal gp and get a referral to a paediatrician to get it checked out. Now I have to sit and worry about another thing,, just when things were looking all rosy,,, not impressed!

Took him out for his first actual excursion this morning to my eldests swimming carnival at the town pool,,, and got there to see my eldest win first place in his age group!!!! So very proud

Oops,, gotta go,, he has just started stirring and grunting,, lunchtime!! hehe
    Love Lil

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast