Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born January 16th ~ 31st 2009 #2

Gypsy....you are doing a wonderful job with Max, look at all the great things the pair of you have achieved (breastfeeding, bonding etc). Max would be waking because he is hungry as you know - it is not important that he is sleeping through at this stage as runner and soph mentioned, but more important that his needs are met. It will come with time, sometimes it has to do with how well they feed/sleep during the day too and each day can be very different.

The comments about formula and sleep are true for us.....that and a bit of pure luck I think. Dash is formula fed (and so was DD) from birth and has slept for 10-12 hours straight a night for about a month now. BUT I have other problems though like severe reflux as you all know which is still an issue - particularly in the afternoons when I am almost guaranteed to have vomit from one end of the house to the other, so I guess I am trying to say that there is always something we feel could be going better. I get a little jealous of the mums that can coo and play with their bubs when they are awake. I don't get to do a lot of that with Dash because he can still only take about 100mL and as he is getting bigger I am feeding him more often and he has smaller naps rather than sleeps during the day....so most awake time is consumed with feeding and sitting upright, no time for play. It all balances out!!

ETA: Even though Dash has a big block of sleep at night, I find myself waking all the time to check that he isn't laying in vomit or even chocking on it (which has happened a few times now)...any other reflux mums do the same? Would be nice to sleep without the worry.

What annoys me though is that these are the first two questions people ask me...including complete strangers:

1. Are you feeding bubs? Der
    2. Is bubs sleeping through the night?

So, the pressure is on....when you are always asked these questions it can feel like you are only a successful Mum if you are breastfeeding and bubs is sleeping through the night from the moment they come home from hospi. What's with that???

Look at me - I've managed to ramble on again instead of giving short responses...time to get out and get some more adult contact I think. It's hard with a new baby and terrible two toddler (as much as I love her) - I find it easier to stay home but it is time to be brave and face the world. Anyway, we are all well here. Dash's naming day is on saturday so we are busy organising that....so better go! Love all the support here girls....keep it coming!!
    Last edited by LuckyStar; March 31st, 2009 at 01:54 PM.

Thanks guys, you've made me feel a bit better. I know I shouldn't 'expect' anything of Max, but it's hard not to cos my nephew was 'sleeping through' by now, as did my little bro (he's 15 now!) andf they were both breastfed. So I was kind of hoping it ran in the family

At least when he is up during the night it's a quick feed, nappy change and then straight back to bed. So usually I'm only up for 30-40 mins. Unless of course he wees on himself and I have to change his clothes - seems to happen quite often!

Hi everyone,

I am up in Moree..country NSW and I am having a nice and relaxing time. Emily was great in the car up here. It was about 7 hours and she happily slept in the car until we stopped and fed her and then went back off to sleep easily until the next stop for a feed. we only need to stop twice which is what we would have done without a bub (but stops would not have been as long of course). She was pretty unsettled when we first got here and was sleeping well at night but on Sunday pretty much did not sleep all day from 6am to 8pm only little catnaps in between. However she had a feed at 9.30pm that night and did not wake until 6am as she was probably so tired.

I visited a nursing home today as part of the program the Bible College student are doing up here. Emily was passed around by heaps of people and she happily slept in their arms. It was lovely to see the old people enjoying holding a baby.

Gypsy: I agree with the others it is a myth. Emily does a couple of night here and there doing what I call sleeping through which to me means she does not wake up in the middle of the night so might feed as late as 11.30pm (but sometimes as early as 9.30pm) and then sleeps to between 5am to 6.30am. So is sleeping between 5-8 hours. She is 8 weeks but then regularly goes back to the middle of the night feed which is between 2am and 4am. I think that at 8 weeks lots and lots of babies are still waking up for between 1-2 feeds in the night.

Ren: Good to hear you got the hugabub. I am thinking of getting one as a friend lent me the baby bjorn but I hardly use it as I found it hurt my back. I might do some hug a bub research. How old/heavy can they be and still use it?

disgirl: Isn't the chattiness of our bubs lovely. Sometimes it is like she is really having a conversation with me. I know she does not understand me but it is so cute to hear them babble back to us. Emily found herself in the mirror too. Her playmat has one and it was hard to get her away from it. Hopefully not a sign of things to come

runner: It is so good tohear you are keeping up the training. I have only run twice now and find that with the hot weather and just having to be organised I just don't even get out for a walk.

hello to everyone else

Hi everyone,

I am up in Moree..country NSW and I am having a nice and relaxing time. Emily was great in the car up here. It was about 7 hours and she happily slept in the car until we stopped and fed her and then went back off to sleep easily until the next stop for a feed. we only need to stop twice which is what we would have done without a bub (but stops would not have been as long of course). She was pretty unsettled when we first got here and was sleeping well at night but on Sunday pretty much did not sleep all day from 6am to 8pm only little catnaps in between. However she had a feed at 9.30pm that night and did not wake until 6am as she was probably so tired.

I visited a nursing home today as part of the program the Bible College student are doing up here. Emily was passed around by heaps of people and she happily slept in their arms. It was lovely to see the old people enjoying holding a baby.

Gypsy: I agree with the others it is a myth. Emily does a couple of night here and there doing what I call sleeping through which to me means she does not wake up in the middle of the night so might feed as late as 11.30pm (but sometimes as early as 9.30pm) and then sleeps to between 5am to 6.30am. So is sleeping between 5-8 hours. She is 8 weeks but then regularly goes back to the middle of the night feed which is between 2am and 4am. I think that at 8 weeks lots and lots of babies are still waking up for between 1-2 feeds in the night.

Ren: Good to hear you got the hugabub. I am thinking of getting one as a friend lent me the baby bjorn but I hardly use it as I found it hurt my back. I might do some hug a bub research. How old/heavy can they be and still use it?

disgirl: Isn't the chattiness of our bubs lovely. Sometimes it is like she is really having a conversation with me. I know she does not understand me but it is so cute to hear them babble back to us. Emily found herself in the mirror too. Her playmat has one and it was hard to get her away from it. Hopefully not a sign of things to come

runner: It is so good tohear you are keeping up the training. I have only run twice now and find that with the hot weather and just having to be organised I just don't even get out for a walk.

hello to everyone else

hi all

things are on the improve,,though today hes decided to catnap most of day...had him down at 730pm and asleep in 5 mins,something woke him up and now im letting him lay there,i dont do controlled crying but i find if i let him have a sook for 5 mins or so it makes him tired n he nods off...
    Well as for asking for help im not having any luck,bloody hell my MCHN you can never get them to answer,you have to leave your details and they ring you back,that was thurs and todays tuesday...ivr rang and rang and rang and even threatned ill dump my child on their doorstep if they dont ring me(i wouldnt really just wanted to see how quick they respond)and yet still no return phone call....i contacted tweddle sleep school and they the ones who said i have to go on waiting list just to get a return phone call then a booking and ive given up on my private hospital...piece of crapola they are,to them everythings a business and $$$...
    Nixons improved heaps,but am worried about the feeding still,since the needles he will only drink no more than 80-100 ml,he supposed to be having at least 120-150ml,spoke to 24 hr hotline she said if it persists take to doctor,if he still doing it tomorrow morning i will,he had 100ml for last feed and a top of 50ml but vomited some up,but at least he had more than before..
    The routine is getting back in the swing,last night he slept 830pm til 4am without stirring.3 days ago i was a mess,today im coping even though ive had to contend with catnapping.DH back at work tomorrow for the 1st time in 3 months,mmm that be testing!!!!!!! i still cant figure the damn pram out lol
    cheers to all

BON: -not sure where you live, but i know of a sleep school where you don't need a referral. you call them directly and they speak to you over the phone to ascertain how bad the situation is and then they advise if they can fit you in - they have both day stay and long stay programs. PM me if you would like the details for the website
    Last edited by ~Gee_Whizzy~; March 31st, 2009 at 08:42 PM.

Bon - you are SO LUCKY you've had your husband there for 3mths with you helping!!! My hubby didn't have any time off except for the weekend when I came home from hossy!!
    (our business won't allow it)
    Don't worry, Ava only catnaps during the day too and won't sleep longer than 15-30mins. if I'm lucky!!! By afternoon I'm exhausted. But she sleeps ok at night so I don't mind.
    That's great Nixon sleeps for that long at night!!!! I would be happy with that!!!

Me-lisa - you can put big toddlers in the hugabub so it will last up until a child who's say 15kg if you want to keep using it til then! however I don't think i'd want to carry my child if she weighs that much.... she can walk by that stage hahaha

Gypsy - thats good that it's a quick feed at night and straight back to bed. My DD feeds for 30-50mins and then wants to play or look around!!! I have to wrap her and try to settle her and not look at her etc... sometimes takes up to an hour to settle her back down she's so active and alert.....

I'm going to wake DD give her a feed then go to bed. If i don't wake her now, she'll probably wake at 11pm for a feed anyway!!!!

Today has been exhausting Ava has been so unsettled after her needles. Is it normal for them to go off their feeds?? She's hardly fed all day......
    Here's hoping tomorrow will be a better day.....

REN - Dont stress too much about Ava going off her feeds, Ella was the same - she only fed for 5-10mins on each boob after her shots as well as the first two feeds the next day - i remember her sleeping a lot more too but she was right by the night feeds of the day after her vax - (hope thats makes sense)

WEll nixon still not feeding well or sleeping well either,lucky to get 45 mins per day sleep and last night took 3 and a half hours to go sleep from 730-10.30pm,he was asleep in 10 mins with the dummy then after 45 mins he woke as he hardly ate n slept all day so, we going to docs,my MCHN finally callled me back,she gonna hound my private hospital or sleep school to get us some help...somethings gotta give b4 i do,DH back at work today 12 hour days...hes been like this now for 2 and a half weeks,the not eaing much started from the virus,then he had his vaccinations so it just rolled over into that,we are going to the doctors at 550pm to see what the not feeding much issue is about and also get a all clear b4 the MCHN gets us into a sleep/settling programme,hes sposed to be getting better but hes getting worse with the whole not sleeping...
    i think thats it for me.no more kids!!!!!!!!! at 37 im happy to have him better than none and i cant go thru this all over again,its hell...people say i dunno how u do it with no family or support in melbourne,you do it cos u have to..and run a house n business....im superwoman!! hehe
    Last edited by soniebon; April 1st, 2009 at 10:54 AM.

Bon, you're doing a great job! You were lucky to have your DH home with you for 3 months, I'm a bit jealous! My DH was home for four days and then back at work So glad you finally got through to the nurse.

Ren, Jared went off his feeds after his needles too. I was a bit dumbfounded because he's always so ravenous Caught me off guard, but then DH reminded me that Ben would always eat less and sleep more after vax so I felt better - even though my boobs felt SO full!

Me-Lisa, you made me laugh re: the mirror
    I love my HAB! I used it with Ben until he could walk at 13 months so he would have been... I don't know but it was well over 10kgs. I have a bulging disc and torn ligaments (never to heal) in my back and I don't find it painful to use at all.

Gypsy, it's hard to not expect too much off our little ones, especially in regard to sleep! The more sleep they get at night, the more we get so of course we want them to sleep more! As the other girls have said though, there is this misconception that bubs sleeping through is the holy grail of motherhood. So not true! A happy, healthy bub is all that matters

Orange, I'm sick of those questions too, but it never stops. When I was bfing Ben at 7 months + it turned into "Are you STILL breastfeeding?". Urgh! Why can't people just accept the way we choose to parent?

We've had a busy few days. J had another good sleep last night after a bad night the night before. I was exhausted last night and we (the boys and I) didn't get home until after 8:30. DH was already in bed and I think the fact that I hadn't seen him all day and that I was doing it all by myself again after having hardly any sleep made me a bit short-tempered. I shouted at Ben Poor little thing just seemed to shake it off but I felt so bad afterward.

Today J is having a really good nap which is unusual for him. I woke up with leaky, exploding boobs this morning since he slept for so long. They were painful, which I hadn't experienced since my milk came in. He's been much more settled this past week, he doesn't seem to be as windy and is having longer between feeds sometimes. I guess his belly is finally getting a bit bigger

Better go and have lunch while they're both asleep!

Well, Ava has put on 135g in a week so I'm happy with that and so was the MCHN. A bit more would have been better but it's still good. She's still off her feeds today a bit
    Damn vax

I managed to sleep for 2hrs this morning with Ava! She never sleeps during the day for that long.... and now she's down again!!! I can do some stuff around the house quickly while she sleeps. Must be the needles making her tired.?!

Bon - it's hard when our babies are so little but try to enjoy every day as they are only so little for such a short time. you are doing a great job. Just take one day at a time. That's what I do. Crazy as I am, I still want 3 more!!! But we've always wanted a nice size family.

Hope you're all having a nice day. It's quiet in here today..... anyway must try and do some housework while I can!!

Bon - As everyone else has said you are doing a great job, and you really are! The first 3 months really do well and truly suck I reckon! THousands and thousands of parents say the same thing too - they are hard, tough and so very very draining and even though our bubs are beautiful and cute etc etc, they pretty much take take take during this time. Try not to stress too much, it WILL get better and it WILL sort itself out eventually.

Ren - Yay on the weight gain - way to go! Feeds will pick up - remember our bubs are getting heaps more efficient so you don't really know how much she is getting. The LC I saw when H was a few weeks old said that at 10 weeks bubs only need a few minutes to feed! I guess they are all so different though. Ned would happily feed for an hour 3 times a day still at 23 months (mostly just comfort though i think). H only feeds for 5-10 mins. He's really windy so I keep having to stop and burp him and then he goes back for more.

Dis - Ohhh the full boob feeling is eeky eh? I hate it too - when it happens I'm willing H to wake up (for a change) and feed feed feed and my let down is always so strong he drowns in it anyway!!!!

Anyway I'm trying to clean for the cleaning lady tomorrow - why oh why do I do that????

Thanx Soph,Ren,Orange and Runner and everyone else keeping my spirits up,,just like clockwork the litle catnapper went to bed at 7-730pm and asleep in 5 mins,then its like an alarm goes off in his brain that exactly 45 mins later hes awake screaming...we did his nappy,we winded him,topped him up with food,let him bawl...lets see how long he goes for now,i can handle it during the day but god forbid if it starts at night(plz god if u can hear me im asking u do ur thing!! lol)this whole 45 min sleep issue started 10 days ago,yep im counting,,,hehe
    im really hounding sleep school and mchn,have 2-3 week wait to get into somehting so just grinning and bearing it....DH said now he knows why i cried today to him on phone..i think too that its causing me maybe the start of PND as im a bit sookie,im usually not when hes ok but im due for my period so that might do it too...lol

anyways round 2-nixon sleep off i go...time is 835pm....
    watch this space!!! lol

Bon - 45 mins is the length of one sleep cycle, so he's waking up at the end of one cycle and not able to go into the next one. If you go into his room and maybe gently pat him from about 40 mins to get him through, hopefully it will kick through to the next one. It's very very common and he will eventually get there and be able to sleep into the next cycle. It will come with time. He is settling so well by himself, that is fantastic!

Hey all,

Bon You'll be great, some of my Friends who went tosleep school said it was great and really helpful. I'm in VIc and soo up for getting out of the house so if your looking for some company PM me we can catch up.

Ren Yay on the weight gain. That is soo great. It's so exciting to see the numbers go up each week.

I love my HAB as well. It is the greatest especially for shopping as I don'
    t like utting Fin in those manky carriers on the trollys.

Well I'm starting to go a bit mad, Fin is great I'm just sick of looking at my lounge room and bad day time TV. I think an outing is going to be planned today..

Snoochie Boochies

I'm about to head off to the gym, and was going to reply to Bon about the sleep cycles, but Soph beat me to it.

A good night again here I'm hoping that J really has got the hang of this sleep at night thing. Now I just need Ben to start sleeping past 6:30-7am again and I'll be a very happy girl

I'm over this rain. I am drying all my nappies on the inside line, but it takes forever! I don't want to use the dryer, but I might have to if it keeps raining.

Ditto what Soph said about sleep cycles...tried to write a post last night but laptop ran out of battery. Hope that info helps Bon!

Yeah on Ava's weight gain, Ren!!

Dis, I admire you going to the gym. I will get on the treadmill soon. I still haven't been given clearance yet....my iron is on borderline of transfusion still and I am still bleeding on and off. I am being monitored closely though. Have a nice time (bit jealous)!

Mel A - I feel exactly the same...some days I think I even miss work, but that thought quickly leaves me he he.

he he he miss work.. I think i'm one of the only people who is begging for a retrenchment during the economic crisis.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast