... 4567816 ...

thread: Babies Born January 16th ~ 31st 2009 #2

2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Oct 2007
    Outer South East Melbourne :)

Ren - yeah i think it was across the board problem, i couldn't log in either something about database error - seems to be ok now

Gypsy - is max an exclusive BF bubba?

Jun 2006
    Sydney

Ren, I can't breastfeed in the normal cradle position and haven't been able to for either of my boys. I have very large breasts (12F/G) and have to hold them to feed and even have to squeeze them a bit to get the nipple in J's mouth. I remember that it got a little easier with Ben, but I always have to hold my breast because of the size I remember reading an article on Aborigine women who breastfeed and my technique sounds a lot like what they do. Total opposite to what you're taught by m/ws I take my breast to baby for example. Oh well, it works for me!

Gypsy, did you try Max on EBM or fomula? I had to buy the Tomee Tippee breast and bottle bottles for J as he wouldn't take my EBM out of the Avent bottles He really likes the TT ones though

I've had a really rough night. J is really out of sorts. I didn't get to bed until 4am after J being up most the night and then B stirring a bit too. Then B was up at 6:30am so I'm really pooped. We just got them both down, only to have J wake up after 15 mins! Not sure what's going on, he isn't crying, just not sleeping

Anyway, I'm going to try feeding him again.

Aug 2004

hi ladies!!

yes, it has been quiet on the forum - I am still here!!

Ren - cloth nappies - I have 6 prefolds which I find are great for newborn stage - although Amara is a big girl and she will be out of these very soon (she is 62 cms and 5.6kgs at 8 weeks). I also LOVE babybeehinds AIOs - these are my favourites and of course most expensive!! I have a few other ones like Tots Bots, and a cute lepoard skin cover.

Hey, about getting out of the house - it really is SO much easier with the 2nd or 3rd baby because you just have to!! School drop offs, visits to shopping centre, cafes, appointments here and there and weekend trips are just part of our daily life.

We are studying Buddhism and yesterday we went to a Buddhist retreat centre and we all got blessed by the monks and nun - it was beautiful and Amara and Logan got LOTS of attention as they were the only children.

Soniebon and Gypsy - Oh, I hope those night sleeps get better for the bubs AND you too.......

Orangefeather - how is the reflux? I find Amara is MUCH more settled now that she is taking Zantac on a very low dose, however she still does some wonderful chucks all over us!! It just doesn't seem to worry her anymore.

well, I have my 6 year old home today from school - sick little boy, but not too bad, although hubby is away in sydney sooooooo.........i better not speak too soon, could be a bad, long night - or it could be just fine......yeah, gotta be positive.

Jun 2007
    SE Melbourne

Max is exclusively breastfed most of the time. We have tried him on the bottle before, with EBM and once with formula, and the first few times didn't have a problem. It only seems to be lately. But, every time we've had problems (sounds like I bottle feed a lot, but I don't!) it's been his 'last' feed of the night. Maybe he needs the comfort of the breast at that time, who knows.

We use the Tommee Tippee bottles as I've been told they are supposed to be the most 'breast-like'. But on Sat night he wasn't sucking properly - he just clamped the teet in his gums. Maybe he just wasn't hungry, who knows... Anyway, might try an Avent bottle tomorrow. Need to try cos my sis is babysitting for a few hours on Thurs night.

Crying baby, better go!

Mar 2007

What should I do?!?!? Ava has been asleep since 3:30pm!! That's 3hrs! Do I wake her up now?? I'm shocked she's still asleep... she needs to eat now!! Wake her?? I think I will let her go til 7pm then wake her. What you think???? omg hard decisions being a Mum. I am worried she's not eating enough

Runner - yeah I love BBH AIO's too! They are so easy to use. I like Amara's leopard fleece cover! very cute. We have a cowhide one and a giraffe one for Ava!!!
    Wow! Amara is alot bigger than Ava.... Ava is 58cm's and only 4.9kg!!! she's a lean little thing....

Gypsy / Disgirl - we have those TT Closer to Nature bottles you are talking about but my LC told me they are [email protected]! (not sure why) So I got the Pigeon bottles (wide neck) with the Y teat she recommends them and they are great bottles. We are 90% breastfeeding. other 10% is either formula top ups or EBM.

Dis - hope you have a better night tonight its awful when you have a bad night hey! And much worse with 2 kids!

Gotta go check dinner... I always burn things

C''mmoooon Ava i want to feed you.... wake up!!!!!!!!!

Where are the chatterbox's??? Bon? Jo? Where r u guys???

Aug 2004

so what happenned Ren? did she wake up? hope you are having/had a good night....

Amara is a big girl, I know. Very long but weight is in proportion to this.

Oh, Ren, also I have not ignored your invitation to get-to-gether.......just forgot it, and now remembered. I shall PM you soon and yes, we shall get together, maybe I can come over to your house??

gotta go, my son is not well, and who knows what the night brings..all good I hope, although Amara seemed very hungry tonight, going form one breast to the other and then still wanting more...

Feb 2007
    ....there's no place like home!

Ren: Bit late now, sorry....but depends on what you are doing. Firtstly I would be excited that she has had a great block of sleep!!! If you are going for a set routine then wake her. I personally don't like waking a baby. I think they sleep because they are tired and wake because they are hungry (or have another need) but that is just my opinion, others may disagree. My DD didn't double her birth weight until 8 months and is only just 10.5 kg at 22 months. She was sleeping 12 hours at night and the MCHN would tell me to wake her and feed her during the night. I did it twice but she was too hard to settle because I had disturbed her sleep so didn't do it after that. I figured she would wake if she was hungry and sometimes she would do just that. My DD was labelled 'failure to thrive' and she was exclusively bottle fed and drank more than the recommended amounts....maybe Ava is just going to be petite. You do what you think is right...you are her Mum and you are doing a great job with her!

Hello everyone else...it is lovely reading what you are all doing and how bubs are going. Good on you for using cloth nappies (I did it last time but not so keen with 2). I will come back tomorrow and do some personals.

AFM: The Naming Day was lovely. We had all the family there and the weather held out....just. Dash was really great and the ceremony was just beautiful. My DD released 2 balloons from an olive tree we bought as our 'family tree', passed a flame around on candles which eventually lit the candle in the lantern and dedicated the song "Beautiful Boy" to Dash - at which point everyone cried go figure.

Anyway, better go. I have to package up all of DD's clothes I sold on ebay. I made $200 from her second hand clothes!!!!
    Last edited by LuckyStar; April 6th, 2009 at 09:36 PM.

May 2008
    Roxburgh Park,VIC

Hi gang

i been MIA for a few days,everytime i went to log onto BB couldnt get in
    Well what a long week its been in motherhood...
    Today went to docs as DH starting to think i have PND,i been outta sorts,emotional and crying and not coping since Nixon not well,anyway after 3 doctors visits and a last minute visit to my obs who pulled strings to get me to see an emergency visit to paeditrician i finally found out whats wrong with Nixon
    He has Reflux, we are on novalac anti reflux,gaviscon and some medicine stuff i have to get in morning....Hes been sleeping well at night but during day not sleeping well,spitting up all his food,the paed checked him today and he vomited his milk and it was acidy and stuff...a long with the rest of the reflux symptoms
    MY DH and my docs were ganging/helping me to go into hospital to a mother baby unit as they think i was not coping,they wanted me to go in for a week with Nixon,i dug my heels is and refused flat out NO...i dont want to be in hospital,i want to be at home in my bed,with my things and my family...Lucky i did dig my heels in as my paeditritcian said that motherbaby unit would not have diagnosed the reflux and wouldve just treated him for sleep disorder and me depression and that its not the answer,i feel the weight of the world is off my shoulders now and that i can focus getting my boy right and happy and and healthy again...i been sooky cos my DH has been on my back bout everything of late and if i dont have enough to deal with let alone his crapola..he got told today big time and now feels bad!!!!!!!! hehe so he shoud(trying to commit his wife into hospital lol)
    So all you mums out there suffering with babies who have reflux,my gosh its tough..Dont you just feel helpless when they are crying their little eyes out in pain and u dont know what it is or what to do? i just thank god that im blessed to have such a good obstetrician that goes above and beyond the call of just delivering babies..
    Anyway its off for dreamfeed and mummy feed and bed
    chat all soon
    Bon

2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Oct 2007
    Outer South East Melbourne :)

Bon - sorry to hear you are having a hard time of it, but good on you for sticking to your guns and double good on you for you OB for getting you the help you need with Nixon - reflux sounds awful and i empathise with all you mummies who are having to deal with it.

Runner - Amara and Ella could be twins in the height and weight division! - Ella at 8 weeks was 5.93kg and 61cm long!!

Question ladies: does anyone know when the growth spurts occur? - Ella was sleeping through (5-6 hrs at night) but the last 4 nights she has been feeding every 3 hours again she has also gone back to 3 hourly feeds during the day- I can cope with the day feeds but i got spoiled into thinking her night routine was down pat and now im struggling with every 3 hours again...arghhhh

Jun 2006
    Sydney

Gill, I suspect that J is going through a growth spurt right now because of the same thing. Could be just a bit out of sorts though due to the change in the seasons/daylight saving ending. Last night was much better here - thank goodness!

Bon, I'm glad you finally found out what is wrong with your little guy. Let's hope he settles down now he is on meds.

Orange, the naming day sounds like it was really lovely

Runner, I hope Logan is feeling better today. There's nothing worse than a sick kidlet

Ren, I would have let her sleep. I very rarely wake up either of my boys, unless I REALLY have to. I'm not keen on forced routines and figure they'll wake up if they need a feed or something else. What did you end up doing?

Us, we moved J into his cot for the first time last night! He slept well - from 10pm until after 4am so he doesn't seem to mind it. I did really well too I remember the first night I moved B into his own room I was up half the night worried about him I guess some of that anxiety wears off a bit after the second bub, or maybe it's just because I was exhausted from the bad night before.

I was expecting J to look so tiny in his cot. I remember when we first put Ben in and he looked so tiny. Not so for my big boy though! I put him in and he looked quite at home We're off to the clinic today so I'll get him weighed, I'm thinking he might have hit 7kgs. I want to ask if there is a growth spurt around now.... I didn't think there was another one until 3 months?!?! I also want to see if toddlers can survive on honey sandwiches as Ben is eating about four honey sandwiches a day!!!

Mar 2007

Thanks Orange, Runner & Disgirl for asking how it went and for your advice!!

After I posted last night, Ava woke up about 5mins later (good timing ) and so was VERY hungry!! If she didn't wake by 7pm I was going to wake her up.... I don't like waking babies when they are so peacefully sleeping either it's hard but I worry she isn't feeding enough lately as her nappies haven't been soaking wet iykwim.

In terms of routine.... we've basically been following the sleep, feed, play, sleep.... routine.... it seems to be working for us... although each day her feed times are totally different ! Some days she feeds 3-4hrly other days goes a bit longer!!
    Does anyone else just follow basic sleep,feed, play routine also??? no set times etc?? I just follow her cue's and watch the clock if she's been awake for 1.5hrs then she should be due for a nap....
    Night time routine is 5pm bath & read, 6pm feed, 7pm bed. then 10pm feed before we go to bed so she sleeps til 4pm.

Last night she woke at 1am for a feed, then 3:45 had to settle her then 5am feed!!! i'm soo tired!

Ahh! As a Mum we are always wondering if we are doing the right thing.....

Off to health clinic today as there is a new mum's and babies group starting with bubs similar age and each week they have a talk on. I'm looking forward to meeting others.

Bon - sorry to hear of Nixon's reflux. It's awful and so upsetting to see them in pain. I remember when Ava had it at 3wks and we were admitted for the night. It was horrible.
    Runner - love to catch up!! And I hope you didnt' think I was implying that Amara is overweight or anything!!! she sounds perfect. Just saying that Ava is such a petite thing and we aren't petite people ourselves LOL

Aug 2004

Ren - No, I totally did not take the response about Amara in a bad way at all - she is very long for her age (99 percentile) and her weight is in proportion to this - she has actually 'slimmer' for her height than she used to be! It does not surprise me that she is so tall already - Logan is very tall and wearing size 9 clothing even though he is only 6 years old! He is also very slender, very, not an ounce of fat on him and he eats so well.
    Ren - as other ladies have said, you do what you think is best re Ava's routine....you have done well so far, so trust yourself. I personally do wake Amara sometimes for a feed - but generally she wakes for them at about the 'right time'. She is consistantly sleeping 6-7 hours at night, but we are still having unsettled early mornings..

oh, soniebon - I do know exactly how you feel!! Reflux is horrible for babies, until Amara was given Zantac, i thought for sure it must be me giving her sleep problems..I was getting very depressed about all the crying, but now she is so much better so I feel more confident, although there are always bad days. Hang in there, and know that you have us to rant to if you need to !!!

i have Logan at home again today - he has a fever, tired and not eating...poor little boy. Oh, no, Amara is cying now.......all happens at once hey? better go....

Jun 2006
    Sydney

Ren, yep, we do that routine too, but the only set times we have are really a nighttime feed between 10pm and 11pm. Apart from that it's sleep, feed, play, sleep as required, or requested by J

Runner, poor Logan Can totally relate to the all happening at once thing! In this house it's usually poo-central all at once Delightful!

Well it's official that I am a mother to a huge chunk of a baby! Jared weighed in at 7.3kgs this morning! He is big all over though, he's 62cms too so it's almost all in proportion It's a little upsetting because he wasn't a little baby for very long, but he's healthy so it's all good I suppose.

I'm off to get dinner started in the slow cooker (highly recommend these as you can chuck dinner on anytime during the day when you get a moment) while both boys are asleep. Yes, that's right, they are BOTH asleep at the same time! Amazing!

Aug 2004

Di's Girl - would love to know some of your favourite recipes by the slow cooker!! I have one too, but have only just begun to use it......what do you cook in it?

Logan feeling a bit better, as his Uncle is due to visit any minute now..

Jun 2008
    Country Victoria

Bon - glad to hear that you were finally able to get somewhere with Nixon. You girls with reflux bubs certainly have a hard time of it.
    Owen had his vaccinations last week and other than being a bit unsettled afterwards and spiking a bit of a temp the following day, seemed to cope reasonably well. One of the mums from my mums group was there and we had both been apologising to our bubs before their shots for the pain and saying we were only doing it to help them. Easy to tell we're first time mums......
    We've generally had good nights with him waking once or twice a night for a feed, the daytime sleeps seem to vary, some days better than others, but I guess that's the same with everyone.
    We went out for lunch with a friend last week and did our grocery shopping afterwards, first time we had done both of those things. Seemed to cope reasonably well, but I'm still reluctant to go out because I'm paranoid about him sleeping. We follow the feed, play , sleep routine and I hate interrupting it, is anyone else like that?

Jun 2007
    SE Melbourne

Max had another 8 hour sleep last night! This is after last week, where he was only sleeping 3 hour blocks. So who knows, maybe there was another growth spurt going on... Gill, that would fit in with what you thought, as Max is 11 weeks tomorrow, so the same age as Ella.

Ren - We basically follow the feed, play, sleep routine, unless Max wakes sooner than I want to feed him, in which case he will get play, feed, play, sleep. I don't stimulate him too much in the first play time though - usually leave i\him on the floor or in his rocker. I wouldn't normally wake Max up for a feed either, unless it's getting late (as in 9 or 10 pm) and I want to go to bed. Cos I know he'll need another feed. But he doesn't usually sleep for very long, if at all, at that time of night anyway.

Bon - So glad you've worked out what Nixon's problem is. I hope things improve for you now that you have some answers.

Dis - Wow, Jared is a big one! He must be getting all the right stuff from you, hey?! Last health centre visit Max was in the 75th percentile for length and weight, but we haven't been for a few weeks now. I'm sure he's well over 6kg by now though.

Runner - Hope your son is feeling better soon. I have a slow cooker too - you can cook heaps of things in them, even a roast! My favourites would be lamb shanks (cos the meat just falls off the bone!) and apricot chicken. Also good are an types of stews and stuff. When I was still working we would often have it cooking during the day, then would just cook up some cous cous when we got home (cos that only takes about 2 mins) and dinner was ready!

Well, speaking of cooking, I'd better go and get ours ready while Max is asleep. I'm trying out beef stroganoff tonight. I got a new cook book for my bday, so I might try to be a bit adventurours for a while! Does anyone else find it hard to think of things to cook, and always seem to fall back on the same old favourites?!

May 2008
    Roxburgh Park,VIC

Nixon is on the up...slept 8 hours last night,bed at 730-8pm dreamfeed at 10.30 then woke at 4am,,wow
    the gaviscon worked like instant,and the novalac reflux formula,got some meds today but will still use the gav til it kicks in,what a huge huge difference,he eating,except for b4 cos he overtired n just wanted to sleep,what the? yeh i know,makes life a lot easier..
    ive been so down and really thought i had PND...i got my aunt flow(period today)so that would explain me being so emo as well.
    He is still a little unsettled and is not keen on the car atm but its a vast improvement,i actually got my house clean,vacuumed,washed,dried and got dishes done and managed shower blowave and some make-up....ahhh good to feel human again

May 2008
    Melbourne

Oh ladies, i have had a heck of a time lately, all my computers werent working and when they were i never really had enough time to get online. Ive had about three weeks of Caleb spiralling out of control with his eating and sleeping, or rahter lack of to the point he was screaming when i would try and feed him and would just sob in his bed instead of sleeping and if he did sleep it was for 20-30mins only, I took him to emergency on Sunday night and after 7 hours of not feeding and 5 hours of not sleeping and three days of diarrhea, they asked me to feed him in front of them to which he screamed his head off and they replied "oh well at least you got some formula into him" and sent me home, well it just got worse and worse and i spent all day yesterday in his room trying to get him to sleep or eat and i would just cry so today i took him to the royal childrens hospital determined to get some answers and what did they find:

he is cows milk protein intolerant! I knew it, i knew something wasnt right with my boy, i know my son and i know what is not normal for him! so they gave me a script for new formula called Pepti Junior and i got home and gave it to him and he polished it off and then had a big sleep!! he was the happiest ive seen him in weeks.

so now im exhausted but a happy exhausted! im still trying to catch up on everyones posts so will bbl for that, just wanted to let you all know i am still here but have had issues with Calebs eating and sleeping but looks like everything is on the up and up

... 4567816 ...