Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born January 2008 #2

Hello. I just read this from Maz:

"Mat has heaps of little clots around his brain that they are going to leave and let dissolve by themselves......but there is a dark area in the middle of his brain were it has bled and some of his brain matter has died. Dont know what extent of brain damage he will have from it for years to come...but he may even be home (back in shepparton) by next week yet. We are going to see the same peds doc as we do for Wilhelm which is great. I feel a bit releaved...My little man doesnt need an op on his beautiful head (for today anyway)"

I also believe Mat is out of his humidicrib too which is great news. All the best Maz and Mat !!!

Afternoon!

Well weare going ok today, i just put Adeline in her first MCN and its almost too small! oops might get one week out of it! the rest i have are bigger luckily! sorry about typing am bfing at the same time!
    Spent the morning rearranging the nursery cupboard and drawers again. cant decide where best everything should go! have been given so many clothes-most wont fit for ages though!

glad maz is getting some good news at last. best wishes still going out to them all.

gotta go eat!

Bindy- i think it just depends on how many the have to process, doesnt bother me how long it takes as i know i'll get it eventually. What is sticky eye?

Tonydayl- i was born in Australia, but i'm sure because you werent they wouldnt have held it against you.

Maz- i'm glad your getting some good news after everything you've been through lately. Thinking of you & your family & best wishes to you.

I fed Sophie about 11am after i'd bathed her and she took about 2hrs to go back to sleep but for those 2hrs she was just happily laying in her bouncer looking around and thinking about going to sleep. Shes due for her next feed around 3pm. I got up at 1.30am this morning to feed Sophie & gave her a bottle of breastmilk with 90mls in it and then the little guts took another 30mls from another bottle i couldnt believe it shes only a week old. How much milk each feed should she be having?

~Belinda~ Guest

Bonham, here is an article on sticky eye (it may be a blocked tear duct):

About 25% of new babies have a persistently watery eye from birth, with or without a pussy discharge. As long as the eye itself is not inflamed, this is almost certainly due to poor drainage of normal eye secretions from the eye. This happens when the channel from the eye to the nose (naso-lacrimal duct) is blocked by a persistent membrane. You can often see the opening - a pinhole in the inside corner of the lower lid, near the lashes. In the first few weeks of life may not be fully open.

Gently massaging the duct from the inside of the lower lid to the outside rim may help.

This problem spontaneously resolves itself in 95% of babies by their first birthday but it may be necessary for most of the others to have a tiny operation by an eye surgeon where the duct can be cleared using an extremely fine surgical probe. If the eyes themselves are red, you should seek medical help immediately, as conjunctivitis (usually picked up from infection in the mother during birth) can cause serious vision threatening problems in a few cases

I massaged Madeleine's duct from the inside of the lower lid. I also put a drop of breastmilk in her eye at every feed and it cleared up! If you search for it on BB, there will be threads that come up about it. I got advice about the breastmilk on here and although I thought it was unusual, it worked for sure!

Dayl, thanks for the update on Maz, poor little guy. My thoughts are with all of their family.

Actually I didn't think to transfer her after she had been asleep in our bed. Great idea! Will try that one. She totally won't go down in her cot today, just screams every time, even after I swaddle her anyone else got any ideas?
    Last edited by ~Belinda~; January 31st, 2008 at 01:47 PM.

Bindy - that sounds like a good idea, that is to just t/fer her to where you want her to be...we've done this with our girl & our boy too Usually once they're asleep they're out to it & dont wake all that much during that t/fer time,lol. And when she wakes in her cot & looks around she will eventually get used to it. So worth trying to keep trying to place her into her cot 1st & she will surprise you one day!

Hi lovelies!

Musical beds Bindy? Hope you get a solution that makes everyone happy. You gotta get some sleep somehow!
    Jo, Celeste does that sometimes too, just kicks back in her rocker and checks out the world. Luckily she does it in the afternoon, not the middle of the night but lately she likes to be up for about an hour and a half in the early hours, just having a feed and cuddle. Every time I put her down she stirs so up I get again.... Cant bear to hear her cry.
    Great news about Maz and little Mat. They deserve some good news finally. Thanks for the update Dayl.
    Hawksey, I have yet to try my MCN as I was given a gazillion nb. disposables which we are racing through at the moment. I only got the one size variety but the covers are sized. Celeste is tiny so I'm pretty sure we will get a bit of use out of them. We have a million clothes given to us too and most are too warm or too big at present. Not sure where to put everything. Her cupboard is bursting!!!
    Me: Went to hospital for 24hours Tuesday to get this feeding caper sorted out and it was horrible. Terrible. Awful. Celeste was red and blue from screaming and I had tears rolling down my face. Even the midwife was getting upset. BUT we have had success of sorts. She feeds successfully on the right boob. Not at all on the left for some reason. Barb Glare has suggested a baby chiro? I am wondering about that but I have tried football hold on the left too which has her lying on the same side as when she is on my right one and still no luck. Still trying at the beginning and end of each feed and having to express off the left sometimes cause it is sooo sore. Plus she has nearly chopped the nipple off! OK not quite but it feels like it lol.
    Well, today is the last day of Jan... must be a few more due in here in the next few days???
    Last edited by sazzafrazz; January 31st, 2008 at 04:31 PM.

~Belinda~ Guest

Sazz, sorry to hear you have had some breastfeeding issues hun. I couldn't handle the sore, bleeding and cracked nipples in the end and Madeleine just wanted so much milk so I went to formula/EBM. I hope it gets better for you though and you work everything out.

Hindonly, yes I hope it works out well with her cot! I can't believe she won't go down into it. Even when she's really asleep and I put her in it, she'll wake straight away and scream. It's unbelievable!!

Madeleine LOVES her bouncer more than life itself! She'll settle straight away once in it and goes to sleep! When I leave the room too, she immediately knows and wakes up! She's really a Mummy's girl this one...does anyone else's Bubs love their bouncer as much as Madeleine does?

Hoping I have a great night again. Last night she slept 7 hours and night before was 8 hours! Oh please let it be a great night.

Wow Bindy! So jealous of your sleeps!!! Are you giving Madeleine formula inthe evening? Is that why she sleeps so long? Just wondering. BTW do you pronounce her name Line or Lyn?
    Well I am going to have to wake my little blossom up for a feed or we will be behind all night. Dont like to do it but she wakes so well and is a smiley little thing straight away so I dont feel too bad.
    Have a good night everyone

~Belinda~ Guest

Hi Sazz, she is now a full formula fed baby, has been for over a week now. We pronounce her name as "lyn". Have a great night

Hi mummies sorry I feel like I pop in and out, lurk and never really contribute..

Maz my heart and prayers are going out to you :hugs: when I read the posts I had tears in my eyes, it's been such a bumpy ride for you and Matt I hope things settle down soon, big cuddles mummy I know your strong but you have big shoulders here you can always lean on :hugs:

I finally got a chance to make some birth/thank you announcement cards to send out and edit some pictures to add to the net so atleast I feel like I'm getting somewhere. Luca is finaly giving me a few hours sleep at night YAY! I say "few" because as you all can relate 2 to 4 hours at a time is a good sleep. BF'ing is going well now that the grazing is healing and all seems to be going really well for us (touch wood).

Ok I will promise to come back very soon and keep up with all the chatter... no really!! I swear!! honest!

s361768 Guest

Hi Girls,

Well I am still waiting on this baby boy of mine to make his entrance - it looks like I will most likely go a week over my due date...like my 3rd son.

I was wondering whether I would still be welcome into this thread even if he ends up being a Pisces baby (19th Feb) hehe. I don't think it would be healthy for me to let my pregnancy go that far - but at the moment I feel like this could go on forever.

I would love to hang around the Jan thread and chat to you all if that is okay, as I have spoken to some of you already, I like to hop all over the forum anyway there are so many interesting topics on here.

Hugs
    Karen

~Belinda~ Guest

Joralyd, that's cool you pop in and out, great to hear from you! I am really glad your breastfeeding is going well.

Karen, you make sure you stay in this thread!! I would love to keep chatting with you. Oh I am sending you lots of labour vibes. You get so "over it" toward the end don't you! I remember feeling that way and just couldn't wait to meet Madeleine.

Well Madeleine has been asleep since 7.30pm, her last feed. I wonder if I will be lucky tonight like the last two nights, feeding at 4am and 5am??? She's asleep in her bouncer at the moment, going to try and put her in her cot tonight, unsure how I will go, hoping it won't be too hard!

Karen- Of course we would like you to stay here with us! Dont you go anywhere I'm hoping Jess & Jen will still come here with us too since we know them so well...

Bindy - I dont think it really matters where bub is sleeping - cot/bed as long as she is sleeping well & there is no drama about it all! The fact that she is sleeping so well is great - I say keep doing what you are doing because its working The most our boy has slept has been 5 hrs which I'm quite happy with. And of course they do say that formula fed bubs sleep longer! My bub is still getting a few boobie feeds here & there...

Sazz- LOL. You're bub loves the right boobie & mine the left! for some reason he just doesn't like feeding from my right side! No idea why but I reckon I must be drying up there or will be soon,lol. So I'll be getting around with one boobie bigger than the other for awhile I guess, funny isn't it! Sorry to hear bub & you had such a horrible time of it while trying to work it all out too Not nice seeing your bubs so distressed is it, but at least you have it worked out somewhat You'll get there. Can be quite painful too cant it! I've felt alot of pain trying to b'feed! ouch

Tiff - Great to hear from you too! We also had some birth announcement cards made up & they just look so good We've already sent half but Im just waiting now for Dh to get me some more addresses for the envelopes! Its a nice personal touch isn't it Glad you're going well!

Jo- I think all babies are different in regard to feeding amounts. Up to a wk I think its something like 50ml but after that it is 100ml for a little bit. But my boy is sometimes bit of a pig too!! He'll have his 100ml then want more and he'll take it too Then he's quite happy & dozes off,lol. Sometimes they just need that little bit more!

Carol

Tiff - Hi, nice to meet you! I'm relatively new in here too. I hope you pop in every now and again and have a chat.

Karen - Of course you're welcome in here. It doesnt seem too busy which is great - I can keep up! That is the reason why I didnt stay with the December Baby Buddies - way too busy (4 pages a day) of posts.

Bindy - How did Madeleine go in her cot last night? And did she sleep right through again? I have to say I'm so jealous! Fraser woke every 2.5 hours last night but I think it is my own fault (see question below) ....

I have a question for you all - how long does your baby sleep during the day? Fraser seems to be waking every 2-3 hours during the night for feeds (around 10pm, 1am, 3.30am and 5.30am) and I think it is because he sleeps too much during the day. He slept for 7 hours on and off yesterday but usually it is between 5-6 hours. Is this too much? Is this why he is getting up so much during the night?

TD - My bub sleeps alot during the day as well! Not alot of wake time & I s'pose that does have something to do with how they sleep at night... I think they will soon regulate themselves & work out what they should be doing day/night. They are still a bit confused and are still working it out,LOL. Does your bub go straight back to sleep after feeding ? If he does its not so bad! Although if he's taking a bit of time to settle again that will really wear you down some! My boy isn't too bad - but cant wait til he works it out!! Cause trying to keep a bubby up during the day isn't easy when they are so dosey kwim,lol.

Hi ladies,

well, my normal midwife came back from holidays yesterday and she's not happy with Amy's weight gain so I am officially a cow being milked now every 3 hourly feed. Amy just isn't sucking for long enough to get enough milk and so my milk started to decrease. So now I have to work on getting my supply up. Had to go to the hosp to see the lactation consultant today. Am on Maxolon every 8 hours and need to feed 3 hourly. Haven't been getting much milk expressed but it is increasing so we'll see. Have another weighing on Sunday to see how she's going. If the Maxolon doesn't work, I can go to a naturopath or formula it is. So wish me luck with the bo'obies. I'm not too worried about going on formula at all. It will just be so nice to not have to worry about the feeding and start enjoying my baby and all the other things that come along with being a mum. Prob won't be on here much over the next few days cos I need to sleep before I totally lose it. My problems are nothing compared to what Maz and little Mateauz is going through. My thoughts are with you all Maz xxx Luv Nik and Amy xxx

~Belinda~ Guest

Hindonly, it is good that she is sleeping and a really happy Bub. I guess being a first time Mum, you always have questions whether or not you are doing the right thing!

Dayl, negative about the cot! She didn't go down into it at all and was screaming. I cuddled her and she went straight to sleep, she's definately a Mummy's girl isn't she! I hope you work out why Fraser is waking every 2.5 hours.

Nik, good luck with getting your supply up hun! Madeleine is on formula and she's a happy Bub, it's really not bad being on formula. I'm sure there are Mums out there that disagree with it but I am such a happy Mum now I don't have to worry about the breastfeeding issues. I guess each to their own but if you really want to breastfeed and you are all for it then I hope it works out for you! Good luck

Madeleine was feeding 120-160mL every 3 to 3.5 hours...now she is taking 100mL every 2.5 hours...does anyone know why this would be so? At night, she'll take in a 160mL feed though! Hmmm...puzzles me.

Waiting for my cheeky monkey to wake up for a feed and then we'll be off to the shopping centre to grab a couple of things and have a family outing.

Have a great day everyone!

Love Bindy xo

Oh Nik, sorry to hear you are having a hard time with supply It is really the hardest thing about a baby I think, the bf thing! I know what you mean about trying to enjoy the new baby time but getting caught up with all the feeding caper. Just keep doing your best and be rest assured you have done what you could! Amy is lucky to have a Mum who is working so hard at it
    Dayl & Hindonly, I think your bubs are still working day/night out too. Celeste is slowly getting there but we spend each night awake for 1+1/2 - 2 hours in the early hours then she has a good solid sleep in the late morning. I am waking her to feed every 3 hours inthe arvo and she then snacks on and off all evening. I am hoping that she is full enough to sleep for a good block in the night then. Last night she was down from 11.30pm till 4.15am which is her longest ever but then awake till almost 6am. It is tricky isnt it?
    Hindonly, I am worried that my supply might slow on the left now too. I was exclusively expressing for the first 10days and my supply was getting huge but now that she has been boob only for almost 3 days the left isnt getting much of a work out. It is getting quite sore underneath and, Oh my, my poooor nipple!!! I swear she is trying chop it right off! Plus I am kind of a redhead and they usually get sorer for some reason? I am wondering if it is just my technique isnt so good on the left? I use transition hold and my left hand to guide the nipple in which isnt exactly my good hand... seeing the Cafs nurse again on tues so will get some more tips then.
    Bindy, I say keep doing whatever works!!! My friends have a cosleeper cause that is all that would work for them and they dont care what anyone else says. As long as she is getting good restful sleep so she can grow, that is all that matters (and that it is a safe place of course).
    Hi Tiff, I feel the same sometimes, that I dont come on for days at a time. Im pretty sure everyone here understands. Plus you have 2 others to care for too!!! Good to hear that things are going so well for you now. Lets touch wood on that one!
    Sending labour vibes to Karen, Jess and Jen... Come on bubbas, your Mums are eager to meet you!
    Me; didnt cry at all yesterday or today so far! Yay! lol. Celeste is confusing me with her feeding messages. I cant work out if she wants more or needs burping or what! On the bottle I knew how much she was getting and could work out what she needed but now I have no idea, especially since my attachment isnt the greatest and I wonder if she is on properly and actually getting anything. I guess she isnt even 2 weeks yet so I will get to know her better soon... She has changed so much already. I said to her yesterday when I picked her up from a 3hour sleep "have you changed since I put you down only 3hours ago?" She just smiled, so I took that for a "yes". lol.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast