Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born January 2008 #3

Morning all mummies.

Can hear a restless child trying to wake herself up next door, so wont be long.
    Have a pregnant work friend coming over today she is booked for a caesar in the next week and freaking out- hope I can reassure her somewhat!

My mothers group went well, there was only 2 mums there, with boys of 6 and 7 months so a bit older than Addy. Better than toddlers though! Not sure how often they will meet its a bit all over the place.

Hope everyone has a good day, will try and check in later

Mary

Amber has been good during the nights, it is the days I am having issues with. She has a good feed, we wrap her, hold her til she dozes then put her down. She will then wake herself up. This happened all day yesterday and she had only a couple of 10 minute naps until 11pm last night. I just dont know what to do to get her to sleep during the day. I know she is tired. We put her down. We even wait a bit if she cries. But then she fully wakes herself. I just want my baby to be able to have some sleep during the day and the night.

Anyone got any ideas?

I am thinking of going to formula but the comments I get from that makes me feel really bad

kate - yer i think hes changing heaps too! more alert ect! LOL thats funny about ocean and the spew, at least u dont have to clean it up hehe
    im heading out fro the day 2day too, going to centrelink... oh joy... hopefully my money will come through pretty quick!

sazz - thanks for the advice! i will try it next time hes absolutly balling LOL, he was good last night thank god, was only unsettled from like 9pm til 11pm instead of 8pm till 1am hehe...

jen - aww u poor thing i dont know if this will work for u and amber but a few days b4 Jaylen was a week old he was really unsettled ect, i would feed him, wrap him up ect put him down and 20 mins later he would be crying again.. when i got home from the hospital, i tried not wrapping him up, just putting a blanket over him and tucking it in at the sides, and he settled! hes HATES being wrapped up, loves moving his arms and feet around, sometimes he scares himself by flinging his arms up, but yer he really doesnt like being wrapped up, maybe u could try that? and another thing a midwife told me, is to feed them, if they are still awake at the end of the feed, give them the other side, if not, just let them fall asleep on ya chest, but dont put them down or move them for about 20 mins, apparantly babies dont go into a deep sleep till after 20 mins or so, so if u move them b4 then they will cry again... lol im not an expert, just giving u some options !!

well thats the longest post i have written for a while lol... i better go have some brekkie b4 Jaylen wakes up again! gave him a bath this morn (only giving him a bath once every 2 days cuz i dont need to make his skin any dryer than it is lol! that will teach him for 'cooking' so long hehe!) and he actually liked it! didnt cry, i was amazed! and he was splashing his hands around and bouncing around LOL so cute

Thanks Jess we will give it a go. She is sleeping at the moment and been down for about half an hour. She does like to fling her arms around and wake herself up.
    Jaylen is a cutie. He looks like you too.
    You know my midwives never gave me any tips like that.

Hopefully yesterday was just a bad day for us. She was a bit unsettled earlier. So far it has been 2 and a half hours between feeds. Who knows with babies though.

Kate- I am still too scared to take Amber out. We tried a walk in the stroller yesterday and she screamed. I think it was too hot for her. Have a good day out.

Mary- I am sure you pg friend will find it very comforting to have your support. I wouldnt know what to do if I didnt have people here to lean on. I have also decided that I love modern medicine. The epidural even though it didnt work 100% definately helped my birth experience.

Sazz- I cant wait till Amber is that little bit older like Celeste. I am envious that everyone elses babies in here are a little bit older. Makes me have further to go. Hopefully her weight will continue to improve. You could always have some of my DD's weight!

Jo- I have had Amber sort of on her tummy while on my chest. But as she is younger than Sophie it is a little different. You are so lucky your girl has had a good sleep routine. I will have to tell Amber to take a leaf out of her book.

Hi Tasch- Hello to Joshua too.

Well thats the longest post I have managed to do in awhile.

My girl is 7 days old today. Just another or so weeks of having bugger all knowledge of what to do!

Billy Ocean Guest

Jen, I put lavender oil in BTK's bath the other night and I had to wake HIM for a feed! Only 1 drop of PURE oil. The maternal health nurse said it was ok to use but I found it made him TOO tired. Why not try that and bath her in the morning? Double check on using it as I'm only going on what I've been told.

Also Jen, I'm going out to Sunbury tomorrow - probably get there around 10am or a bit after. Just going to my friend's new tattoo shop and probably have a coffee. If you feel like a visitor - send me a text. Believe me, I won't be offended if I don't hear from you - especially with the lack of sleep etc you've been having. Just didn't want you to think I'd been there and not wanted to drop in or say hi. I remember cancelling all visitors at the end of my first week home. I just wasn't coping. It takes a little while to settle down I think. Anyway, you just let me know. Even if you, Ben and Amber want to meet me down the street for a coffee (if you want to take her out) - that's fine too. As I said, no pressure.

How was Centrelink Jess? Fun I'm sure! I got my bonus paid in today as well as some payments in arrears. I put the form in about 2 weeks ago.

Sorry for no other personals. Didn't have time to read them.

Back later. Going to watch the DVD that came in my hospital pack about parenting or some cr*p. May as well.

x

Billy Ocean Guest

ps. Has anyone heard from Maz? I have texted her 3 times and heard nothing back. That's cool if she's busy - or maybe she didn't get them (Jen/Jo did you get my texts today?) but I'm worried. I hope she and Mateauz are ok.

ohh centrelink is stupid hah, i get $13, YES $13 on friday (whats the F***ING point..) and then next friday i get $400 or something, and they have to send off my baby bonus forms and some other payment thing... idiots... not like i need money 4 a week..

well i was out all arvo and Jaylen was good as, got a bit sooky in centrelink but we were in there 4 about 2 hours...

well better go, Jaylens stirring even though i just fed him...

Billy Ocean Guest

Hmmm... what better way to spend 2 hours. pmsl

Did everyone get a DVD in their Centrelink/Medicare pack from the hospy? It's actually ok. Just skipped the bits I don't need.

Billy Ocean Guest

Oh PS again...

Jen and Tiff (only excluding the rest of you because you're too far away... unless you come down for a weekend, Jess), I'm going to do a St John Ambulance first aid thingy for kids. It's run on a Sunday morning in the city from 9am to 1pm. It costs about $125. Are either of you interested in doing it? No hurry.

I miss 'quick reply'

Let me see if I can remember what I wanted to say here...

Jen, I have been topping up Scally with formula - don't feel bad!! She sleeps/settles much better with a top up, & she only needs it once or twice in the day. I WAS concerned that doing this would mean that I would decrease my milk supply as the constant nursing is to increase it for when they need more but I am fine with the idea now. A couple of my belly buddies are fulltime ff & they are all really happy, don't think I'll give bf the flick entirely just yet as I enjoy the closeness but don't mind the idea of comp feeding & she is just so much more satisfied after a formula feed. Whatever you decide to do, do not feel guilty no matter what anybody says... happy mum = happy bub & you will do what you think is right.

Kate, you can get those old school bouncer looking things from babies galore but they're expensive, can't remember the price exacty but I remember thinking you'd want it to take the baby for a walk too for the price.

I can't remember who it was that said their baby will have tummy time for ages but Scally would scream the house down if I tried to leave her on her tummy for... oh, I don't know... more than a minute?!

Awfull day yesterday, woke up @ 1am with a sore & swollen right breast, long story short I was awake from then & at the doctor first thing, t'was early mastitis oohparently... I totally blame my messing around with expressing not knowing what I was doing so I'm not doing it anymore!! Freakin Ouch!! Had to get a nipple shield which was weird but it worked so that was good. Felt sooooooooo crappy yesterday but much better today. Isn't having a new bub & bf hard enough without all these extra issues?! I swore I was weaning asap yesterday, it hurt that much but have had a change of heart today.

Was having such a fun time playing with Scally earlier that I almost missed her 'window' for sleep... got her changed & wrapped quick smart!!

Was it Jess talking about keeping bubs awake so they sleep at night...?? Don't do it!! I haven't intentionally kept Scarlett up but if she's up for ages anyway she just gets grumpier & grumpier & it's harder to get her to sleep at all even if she's exhausted.

Better go check out what is for dinner, hope everyone has a good evening.

PS, so jealous of all of you in brisvegas getting to meet up... I'm all alone here!!

Billy Ocean Guest

QM - I heard those old school bouncers were really expensive. What a shame! I'll have a look around and see what I can find. Also, it was me talking about leaving Billy on his tummy - well, Jo said she can leave Sophie there for 45 minutes - my little man would be like your Scarlett and screams the joint down if I leave him there for more than about 40 seconds! Glad you're feeling better today too. Lucky you caught it.

As for the bf and ff, I'm doing the whole expressing bullsh*t at the moment. It's annoying me. Sure, I could drag the pump around with me when I go out and just say to the people I'm visiting, "oh, excuse me, can I use a power point to plug my milking machine in?" but I just can't. I was just expressing before and thought to myself have I really made a big effort - like Nik has? Maybe not. Maybe for the next week I will make sure I'm home when 4 hours rolls around so I can express after every feed and see if that makes a difference. Let me tell you though, if I don't start getting more than 90ml AFTER A WHOLE DAY OF EXPRESSING... It's getting the as* and I'm going fully onto formula.

Right. Ranting over now...

What can I buy on the net?

Billy Ocean Guest

ps. QM, I want quick reply back too...

Billy Ocean Guest

ATT: Nik (and any other formula feeders)

I have swapped from S26 to the NAN HA1 - it's FANTASTIC! He isn't so congested sounding at night, FAR less windy and much more settled. It's only been 1.5 days and I'm noticing it already.

Just wanted to share...

I'll say goodnight. Is quiet here tonight. I hope that means you're all sleeping.

x

ps. Mary, glad your group went ok.

i want the quick reply back too.

hey with that window do others put their babies down when drowsy? amber would not sleep if i did that.

i am persevering with the bf for now. i reckon my supply is good enough but it will mean more frequent feeds...big girl to feed.

nah kate i'm not asleep yet. touch wood i have just put amber down. hopefully she is in a deep enough sleep. she hates her bath. she will scream through it all. might try the lavender oil though.

qm- bummer on the mastitis. i am glad you got it early though.

jess- jaylen sounds so good. i am still too cautious to take amber out. we have to on monday as we have a physio appointment at the hospital for my tear.

kate- i could be interested in the course. not for a bit though.

well i just put the girl down so i might go to bed now and hope she has a good sleep.

good night all

Hey what is this, a conspiracy?! When I can't make it on for a day or two there are a zillion posts to catch up on, but when I can visit twice in one day, everybody is awol?!!!

Atleast there isn't too much to catch up on!!

Kate, I was really wanting to express & give Scally ebm instead of formula when she needed top ups etc but like you I was getting bugger all when I tried, not to mention the mastits thing which I'm sure had something to do with the pumping so I've officially given it the @ss.

Jen, have you tried her in the shower instead of giving her a bath?? Sometimes Scally is SCREAMING & trying to give her a bath would just make it worse but she loves a cuddle in the shower. Just an idea to try, honestly I can't believe how much Scarlett enjoys the shower, she loves it with either DP or me & looks too cute into the bargain.

Well, I'll try to make it back tomorrow & keep up this keeping up business!!

kate - oh i neeeed to go shopping on ebay again, cant wait to get the baby money !! i need to buy a musical mobile thing, Jaylen liked music in the nursery in the hospital... found a fisher price on at kmart yesti but it was $80! all that kinda stuff is cheaper on ebay so i might have a look....

queenmab - yer that was me lol! yer i think me and Jaylen have got used to each other now LOL and i will just let him eat and sleep when he likes! i havent tried putting Jaylen on his tummy, he likes being on his tummy on my chest so he might like it on a playgym thing!

jen - u will be able to take amber out soon! i didnt take Jaylen out for a little while, was too scared hehe... but yer he loves going around in the pram now! im still going good with breastfeeding too, only hurts sometimes when he attaches... but not that bad, and i have quiteeee enough milk lol

well Jaylen was good as last night, didnt really have an unsettled time like he usually does, he slept on me after feeds in the early part of the night (like 7pm) so maybe thats the trick... and he only woke up at 2.30am and 7am to feed!
    well just got up to have brekkie, might go back to bed for a nap since Jaylens sleeping !!
    hope everyone got some sleep and has a good day! im heading out again today, mum has to do easter egg shopping for the pub commitee thing shes in LOL...then mum and her dp play darts so taking Jaylen for a bit to show him off hehe!

Morning!

Jen :hugs: to you, you are having a frustrating time of it. We have all been there and all still go there on days!
    I read some really good advice on the australian breastfeeding assoc, website about feeding and unsettled times- particularly for the evening time, but would be relevant anytime. DId not wrapping her work? Addy needs to be wrapped to have a really good sleep, and Jess is right it takes them awhile to fully fall asleep. Their 'startle' reflex (why they throw their arms and scare themselves), settles down eventually, and its why they sleep better wrapped in the meantime. Its so frustrating when they wake up 10 mins after going down.
    Have you tried a sling or carrier? Addy falls asleep in hers and I just leave her there to sleep- had a 2 hour nap yesterday while I did other stuff!

Anyway, hope you have a better day today. I say the first 2 weeks were by far the hardest and you are halfway there! Keep up the goodwork.

Hi to everyone else. Going to look for another pram today. I have the Beema Q 3 wheeler and it takes up so much room in the boot, or on its side it takes up less room, but falls over all the time. It aslo so heavy and big. I want a lighter pram to keep in the car, take in /out for shope etc. Will use the 3 wheeler for all our walks and outings. Going to chesck out the 'mamas and papas' prams at babies galore today weigh only 6-7 kg instead of 11-12 kg for the beema q!

Hi Mary- Amber will doze for a long time before falling deep asleep. She will get herself out of her wrap if I put her down during this time.
    I have a baby bjorn carrier but she is not quite ready i reckon to go into it. i might look into a sling.
    Good luck with prams. You can test drive Addy in it!

Jess- We only sent our forms off on Monday for the baby bonus so we will be in for a bit of a wait i guess. Did your hospital put Jaylen in the nursery when you tried to sleep? I had Amber in the room with me 24/7

Kate- dont go crazy spending the baby bonus!

The maternal health nurse is coming out tomorrow.
    Hey what do people do for wind? I think Amber has wind. I try and burp her but she only burps every now and then. It may be a reason why she is unsettled?
    Another question is about wraps. How do people wrap their babies? I have Amber in 2 wraps right now. She is wearing a singlet, nappy, muslin wrap and a cotton one. Her skin is warm enough and so is her room.

QM- might try the shower next time. She just hates the bath.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast