Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born January 2008 #6

Sorry i was MIA yesterday ladies, Chris let me sleep in so didnt get up until 11.30am and then just sat around the house looking after Sophie & trying to keep cool as we had a humid day yesterday.

Jess- i make the bottles up as i need them usually, sometimes i'll put the water in the bottles and put them in the fridge though to save time. When i go out and i know i'll be out while Sophies due for a feed i'll heat the bottle up more than i do for a feed and put it in the bottle bag and by the time shes due for a feed its the perfect temp. You can make the bottles up in advance and put them in the fridge they last 24hrs (ive been told) and if i make a bottle up and Sophie doesnt drink it all i tip it out. HTH

Hi all you lovelies,

Celeste has really changed over the last week or so. I guess it is that magic 6week thing. She is so much more social now. Also, she sleeps longer and wakes after she has had enough sleep in the day without needing a feed straight away.
    She cracked it just before and I though Id feed her and put her to bed but she was so cranky while I was trying to feed her that I figured out she didnt want it and just wanted to go to bed. So, I put her in there and her eyes were closed before I turned around! Amazing. She impresses me everyday. They learn stuff soooo fast!

BIL had a go at me on the weekend about the photo I put on the thankyou cards. Apparently it isnt the most flattering one of her! It is the one she is dressed in pink with the first smile that we got on camera. I liked it cause she is smiling and you can actually see her face also it was such a cute moment for me so I guess I see more in it than he does. How rude though, to say so!!!

I am loving BF but far out I am sick of having sore boobs! Need new bras too, these are falling apart. Going to the baby expo in Adelaide on the weekend so might hit the shops first and hoping to get pixi photo done first too. First professional photo: exciting!

Have a cool day if you can everyone. Only 34C today. The coolest day in the last 9!

Billy Ocean Guest

Morning lovelies!

Hey, I was fully FF (had no choice really seeing as I'm adopted! and I turned out ok. Well, sorta. If you count me as normal. pmsl

Bindy, they really abused you over in the BF forums? Fark. That's not on. Even this chick at my work who is a BF counsellor or whatever agreed with me on FF in my case. Why can't people just let others have their own opinions etc. Also, I'm sure lots of us would be BF if we COULD! Who are they to crack it when they don't know the history. Grrr!

I just flicked through all the posts. Will try and catch up later. I did notice lots of bubs sleeping for long times though - WOO HOO!

Sazz, I hope you're going ok in the hot weather. How HORRIBLE! I had Billy out all day yesterday (ok, in the car was a/c and in the shopping centre was too) and when we got home he was so overtired and hot, he was hyseterical. How cute about Celeste and her toys! Also, Billy doesn't dig on tummy time at all! He lasts about a minute or two then gets upset. I persist but I'm not going to sit there and let him scream. Poor little things.

On that note of going out - Billy won't exactly get sleep if we are out shopping and stuff so by the time we get home, he's so overtired, he sometimes gets absolutely hysterical. What to do? Do you not go out? Should I feed him as soon as we get home and put him down for a sleep? What do you girls do?

Jess, Billy is still on the smallest teats. As for how much formula, I go by the tin. I love the idea of the pressie for your mum too - the photos. Oh, I've been told two things about making up formula - one is you can keep them in the fridge for up to 24 hours, then someone else said 12 hours. Either way, it's much easier to make up a few at a time - especially if they wake up screaming for a bottle. I was making them up as I go but even the health nurse said it's ok to make up a few. Yesterday I made up 24 hours worth (5 bottles) but usually I make up 3 at night then 3 in the morning or whatever it adds up to.

Maz, sounds like you're living in chaos-ville at the moment. I hope things settle down for you. We were going to come up today but the heat - not for me.

Have cancelled the tattoo for tomorrow. Too hot to drag Billy out. We have to go to Geelong on Thursday so I figured I'd let him have today and tomorrow at home having a good rest etc. I feel badly if he gets too tired.

Nik, Billy has been sounding congested too. That's why we went onto the NAN HA1. He is still a bit snuffly though. The nurse told me it's normal so I haven't worried too much. I got a bit concerned as I am asthmatic but she said all was cool. How was the gym? I would very much like to go back to my gym. I haven't been since before I lived in Canada - that's a few years back now. I got so obsessed with it, I lost 50kg! I've never been happier in my life. I have slowly put a lot of that weight back on and am so angry with myself. At least I know I can do it though. Are you feeling good for going back?

Where's Jen? I know Mel has been flat out, Tiff hadn't been sleeping. Hope Jen's ok though.

I better go as I've done nothing here. Not too hot today so will get what I have to do done so I can sit on my arse tomorrow and stay cool.

I'll be back later.

Love to all and sorry if I missed anyone...

x

~Belinda~ Guest

Jess, this is what I do with FF.

As Madeleine is only having 5 bottles in 24 hours now (220mL per feed), I normally make them up at 9pm (just after her last feed). I pour cooled boiled water into the 5 bottles (sterilised) (200mL of water) and add in 4 scoops of formula (I use Karicare Gold Plus). That makes up about 220mL per bottle.

I put the lid on and shake them up and then put the teats on last and the lid (I have to double check that the formula is dissolved and shake some more if it hasn't - normally you can see it on the bottom if it still needs shaking).

I put the 5 bottles in the fridge straight away (but not in the door of the fridge as they don't recommend it). That lasts me the 24 hours. I heat each bottle up as I need it in the microwave and shake it up before I give it to her. It takes 34 seconds to heat it up to just luke warm...this was trial and error with our microwave initially but I always test it nevertheless!

When we go out, I put her cold bottle of milk in my nappy bag (it has an area in it where it stays cold). If she needs one when I'm out, I just heat it up and voila, she's fed and happy. I heat it in a microwave in parents rooms at shops or if I am out elsewhere, I sometimes take a thermos and a jug (but not often).

I've been doing this from 2 weeks old and she is happy and thriving. I don't mind making her bottles up at all and I find it not time consuming whatsoever. But I am sure some ladies would not agree with me!

HTH!!

OMG, just had to share: it rained here today!!! It was 35C again and will be for at least another week they say but we had the first bit of rain for the entire year so far!!! And it was enough to wet the ground and run into the gutters! Yay, so exciting. Pity about all the plants we put in over the last year or so: all dead already

Celeste has been really unsettled during the days lately. Only sleeping for 20mins or so. I think she just needs catnaps in the day? She sleeps about 12hours in the night with a couple of wakeups for feeds. Anyone elses bub do that?

Had mums group again today and discovered that one of them llives on our street. So freaky. They come from towns all around the area so a bit flukey that one who has a bub the same age range lives 10houses away!

hi ladies,

Amy is finally asleep for the first time today although I'm not sure how long it will last. I ventured down to the shops this morning. Was in desperate need for a few things and just needed to get out of the house. Took Amy in her carrier and she just chilled out the whole time we were there. It was nice to do what i had to do and not stress about her crying.

Jess - hope today is a bit cooler for you. here is windy yet again. You can make formula in advance (it depends on the type of formula though). I sterilise the bottles and put the water in, and then make them up one at a time. i make one up at the end of each feed so I've got one ready to go at the next feed, if that makes sense!? When I go out, I have the water in the bottle and heat it up a bit and have the formula in a separate container and mix it when it's time for her feed. If you make it up beforehand you need to ensure that it's kept really cold until the feed, which is a real hassle cos then you have to find somewhere to heat it up. HTH. So true what you said about people not caring if you've been BF or FF. Plus, if you can't BF, what do they expect you to do....let your baby starve!? I think it's lucky that we have the option of formula.

Sazz - There is no way I'd be able to get good handprints and footprints from Amy. She wriggles waaaaaay too much! Hehehehe. I know what you mean about sudden changes in bub's behaviour. Amy has gone through one of those in the past few days. She's a lot more fun now and her personality is starting to show a little. She's going to be cheeky methinks! Sounds like the IL's weren't much fun. It's amazing how some people are with babies. You should have seen the way SIL held Amy the other day. She was letting her head loll about and I was like "You have to support her head" and she was "oh ok then". Who doesn't know that!?!? Derrrrrr. Have got MIL coming to visit in about half an hour. She hasn't seen Amy for about 2 weeks so it's going to be an interesting experience I think. I just hope Amy wakes up for them or else she'll want me to wake her up I reckon. Geez, it's always so much easier with your own family isn't it!? I wish Amy wasn't the first grandchild too.....oh well. who cares what your BIL thinks about the photo. He's lucky he got a thank you card in the first place!! Hehehe.

Bindy - I was FF too and I turned out ok as well.....i think! Hehehe. Some people are so opinionated on the BF and they are usually the ones that never had any problems.

Jo - nice one on the sleep in!

Kate - I am so unfit!! But loved being back at the gym. Am feeling it today though! Next session is Friday. thanks for the reassurance for the sniffles. It seems to come and go throughout the day with Amy. Oh well. I go out with Amy as soon as she's had a feed but that's about it and I try not to wake her up to go out if she's in a deep sleep. If she's sleepy and I've got an appointment or something I'll let her sleep in the carrier. That way I don't have to unwrap her and fully wake her up when I'm putting her in the car.

Ok, it's taken me forever to write this cos I had visitors half way through so I'm sorry if people have posted since I refreshed. I will address you guys next time. Hi to everyone!!! Chat soon lovelies xxxxxx Luv Nik and Amy

Sazz - I've noticed Amy doing that too lately and then absolutely crashing out at about 4pm for a fair while. She's been having a feed about 8pm then 1-2am and then waking at 5am. We put her back to sleep at this time and she's been sleeping til about 6-6.30am. That's been for the past two days so let's hope it's becoming a routine, but then again now that I've said something it will change hehehehe. That's great about the rain!! And what a small world!!!

Bindy - I don't find making up bottles time consuming either. I just make sure that it's at the top of my priorities as soon as she goes to sleep I'm making sure her bottles are up to date so that I don't run out if she has a bad day and I don't have time to make up more.

Ok, am up to date with everyone now I think and have written a novel. Am going now xxx

I went and got the fess little noses today as Celeste has been having real trouble. She had a cold for a couple of weeks which the doctor said was nothing to worry about but now that her nose is drying up a bit the left nostril is really irritated and dry. Sometimes she will sneeze (or vommit through her nose, poor thing) and then she will have a little bit of blood in that nostril cause the skin is so sensitive. The child nurse said to put a twisted up bit of tissue up there to pick the boogies out but that does the same thing. Sometimes she sounds sooo congested too. Anyhow, I thought even if it isnt blocked, the saline will help the sore nostril to heal faster. Heres hoping!

Hmm, nothing else to report here. Had tea really early and still hungry. Am eating so much lately, BF isnt going to reduce my weight the way I'm eating!!!

BTW, I was FF toooo. and Im well...not normal but ok!

Wow, saw the weather for VIC & SA on the news this morning. It must be awful to be in that heat for you & your bubs girls. It was about 27 degrees here today so I'm not complaining.
    Saz: Yay for the rain! Hope it made it alot cooler for you.

Jess: I make up 6 bottles every night and put them in the fridge. So that way I don't have to keep making them up every time. I've heard that it's fine to leave them in the fridge. If I want to go out, I boil some water and pour (180ml) into a bottle then put it into my nappy bag that has a thermal pouch to keep it warm. Then I scoop the formula (3 scoops) into the Avent formula dispenser and off I go. It does get easier the more you do it.

Bindy: Just wondering how many minutes do you heat the bottle up in the microwave? I haven't heated one in there yet, I usually boil the jug & put it in a container and wait for it to heat up.

Kate: On going out shopping etc, Bodie is usually pretty good and falls asleep in the pram. If he starts to cry I give him a dummy, but I make sure I feed him before I leave. Sometimes I take a bottle with me but he is alot more settled when I've fed him before. Hope this helps.

Anyways better go make up bottles.

Hi to everyone else!

April & Bodie xo

Billy Ocean Guest

Hi lovelies,

We had scream fest 2008 here this arvo. I would say Billy was overtired from having two full days out and the heat. My own fault. He finally went to sleep at 4pm and so did I. I woke up and everyone had gone out for dinner. I find it weird sleeping during the day anyway but waking up to an empty house actually really unsettles me. I knew they were going but still... I'm so strange. pmsl

Bindy, I do my bottles exactly like you. I reckon it's the way to go. I was making them up one at a time but can't be bothered now. It's just easier to get organised like that and if Billy wakes up and is DESPERATE for a bottle, he's not waiting too long. I agree with the microwave. Trial and error but I always test them.

Sazz - awesome news on the rain! Perhaps Celeste is unsettled because of the heat. I think that would be totally understandable. I know Billy has been and we haven't had it as bad as you. Not yet anyway.

Nik and Sazz - sounds like Billy, Amy and Celeste are all having a bit of the same sleeping habits. Nik, Billy's times sound very similar to Amy's at the moment. Can't wait for a full night!

Hmmm, I had something else to say to someone but I can't remember. Just made up all the bottles now going to get something for tea.

Wishing a good night to everyone.

Back tomorrow.

x

ps. Thanks April and hi!

~Belinda~ Guest

Will be quick because Ramsay's Kitchen is on and I LOVE IT! He cracks me up that bloke.

Ok...I heat the bottles up for 36 seconds if they've been in the fridge for a few hours (1000w microwave oven) - it's trial and error though really. If I heat them up more than that, I swear they get a bit warm! Even if it just a couple of seconds more. I used to heat them up in a jug of hot water but Madeleine got too impatient for her bottle.

Sorry for no personals...will be back later.

Hello ladies.

Great to read that all the bubba's are doing so well. FF or BF.. way to go mummies!!

Im so out of the loop here .. im not even going to try and get the personals done. I know its slack and all that, and im sorry if that offends anyone. I do love reading how much support and care flows through the pages,its great you all have such a good thing going here.

FF is NO WAY AN INDICATION OF ANYTHING. My Doctor said she never saw a boobie as an infant.. and she still managed medical school!!! I do understand that people will give their negative opinions where its not wanted. And to HELL with them really!!

Im doing alright. Joshua still makes my nipple bleed every now and then. Then chucks it up all over his and my clothes. Nappysan and I are close friends. Its very draining to get this boobie business going well. Positive thinking doesn't always help in the middle of the night. I have considered FF. VERY TEMPTED. But i keep reminding myself that it IS getting better everyday. SO I should keep it up.

Josh is grown out of his 0000. Amazing!! His little face is changing so much already! We are settling into a routine. Sleeping well at night. Feeds around 8pm then falls asleep around 9. Then waking up at around 3.30-4am for the next feed. Been doing that for a week now. Got my fingers crossed it continues.

Got a big trip to the in-laws in Toowoomba planned on the weekend. Its a good 2.5 hour drive!! See how the little monkey goes. DH his working the day we are leaving. So ill be packing the car including our 2 furry kids and traveling up following him in. Shall be interesting.

Take care on and all.
    Tascha & Joshua

well that will teach me not to come on for the whole day lol!

thanks everyone for the FF info, omg im so much happier with him on formula !! feel like i have got 'me' back! and hes so much more settled and in more of a routine! boobs are MASSIVE atm hahaha wish they would stay this way but i spose my milk will dry up hehe
    i bought an avent bottle warmer, soo good, takes a few mins to heat the bottle, and it heats at all evenly, and its pretty small so i can just pop it in the nappy bag and take it everywhere! also got a steralizer which is great

jo - yer i get 4 or 5 bottles and put boiled water in them and put them in the fridge, and then put the formula in them as i need them, jaylen never really screams so i will just keep doing that i think !

tascha - yer jaylen has fully grown out of 0000 too, he was still in a few last week but now hes not and i dont think hes going to be in 000 much longer if he keeps growing like this! if u do decide to FF, DONT feel bad ok! i felt bad for doing it, but i feel so much better now, bbs were just sore and tender all the time and everytime i fed him i was like, ohh is it going to hurt this time...

april - jaylen is really good when we go shopping too, hes LOVES being out and about!

saz - yer i have heard that BFing is the best diet ever but it didnt do anything for me, i havent been eating that bad, even missing tea sometimes and i feel i have put on weight if anything...

kate - yer i think i will wait a bit to try the #2 teats.. hes fine on the #1s for now!! im using the Nan gold formula, jaylen loves it, so glad i didnt have to buy like 4 different tins to try them out lol

well i better go and makes some bottles! jaylens into a routine now of feeding at about 11.30pm-12pm which is good cuz thats when i go to bed, just cant sleep any earlier than that... and yer then he wakes up at about 4am-4.30am... and even if i fed him at 7am, he ALWAYS wakes up at 7.30am-8am and stays awake.. thats ok though!

ok im off !

xx

~Belinda~ Guest

Jess, yay with the Avent bottle warmer etc! I love Avent brand...glad you are feeling better about FF. Like I've said before, any woman who can breastfeed is magic, I certainly couldn't and it was very difficult in so many ways. My boobs were never large or hard and sore, I didn't produce hardly any milk for my little gutsy Madeleine. I have felt terrific since I started her on FF too (from 2 weeks) - have not even looked back thinking I failed or anything, life is wayyyyyyyyyyy too short for that nonsense....

You wait until he goes to sleep at 9 or 10pm and doesn't wake until 6am! It's heaven....

Ok, off to make up some formula now myself while my little angel is sleeping soundly in her bouncer.

Goodnight,
    Bindy and Madeleine xx

Hi ladies,

Amy's nose seems to be getting a little better but we'll wait and see. I don't want to jinx it! We're going to see my midwife today to give her the gift we bought. I think she'll be so happy to see how Amy is going cos we had so many dramas with the feeding. I think she'll be happy to see how much better I'm doing too.

Sazz - poor little Celeste. It's amazing how much of a problem a sniffly nose can become isn't it!? I hope she's better soon

Kate - I wouldn't know myself if I got a full night's sleep!! What does that feel like!? Hehehehe. It's so good to hear that Amy's feeding and sleeping pattern is normal. You just never know do you!? Bummer about Billy being unsettled. Amy was a bit like that yesterday and then had a huge sleep in the afternoon.

Tascha - good to hear from you! Wouldn't it be nice if BF was as easy as they trick you into thinking before you've had the baby!? Hehehehe. We're still doing half half here but will go full time formula after 12 weeks methinks. At the moment Amy gets about 2 feeds a day with bb then top up and the rest is full formula. my bb's just don't fill up! but then again, they never did! hope the bleeding stops soon you poor thing x have fun in toowoomba!

Jess - good to hear things are better FF and you are feeling better

Bindy - I hear you on bb's not making enough.

Hi April!!!!

Well, better get going on our little outing. I'm psyching myself up for a 25 minute drive with Amy possibly crying all the way. It's so relaxing NOT! Heheheh She just does not like the car seat sometimes. Seeya ladies xx Nik and Amy

bindy - i TOTALLY agree, lifes too short to be worrying about stuff like that!

nik - yer i feel so much better FF, and jaylen seem to like it better too.. hope amys good on ur trip! jaylen loves the carseat and his pram and just everything to do with being out and about hehe!

well hes been pretty unsettled this morn... just wants to be held! he fell asleep so i started to dye my hair and he woke up like 5 mins later!! ahh! had to take the gloves off and give him is dummy ect lol.. hope it turns out ok now.... lol, have to wash it out in like 20 mins, so hopefully he will stay settled..

got the MHN coming this arvo, be interesting to see what jaylen weighs since he hasnt been weighed since he was 2 weeks old! he prob weighs like 20lbs hahah jk

well better go have something quick to eat b4 i have a shower!

oh by the way, who has their bubs in a bassinette and who has them in a cot? jaylen is quickly growing out of the bassinette, but i put him in the cot b4 to just see what he looked like lol, and he seems waaay to little to be in there! and if i did put him in there i would take the cot into my room i reckon, not ready to have him sleeping in another room i spose the earlier i put him in a cot in another room the better... dont want him being like 3 years old and still want to be sleeping in my room lol!
    Last edited by _JeSs_; March 12th, 2008 at 11:27 AM.

Billy Ocean Guest

Hi all,

Hope you're doing great. Too tired to write anything else. Just wanted to say hi!

Be back tomorrow.

x

Billy Ocean Guest

ps. Sazz, I know you've been putting up with the heat for a while now. I just checked out forecast... Jess!!! 37/39/37/38/35/35/34. That's Melbourne from tomorrow 'til next Wednesday. I think I'm going to go and have a breakdown now. Good night all!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast