Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Babies Born in July 2005 #10

cazoraz Guest

OMG Belinda just wanted to say that cake looks FANTASTIC! You are very talented!

Haven't got time to write much except....

Bel, I love the cake!

Bel,

DH just looked at the cake and said "god damn, that is a great cake"!!

Well done Bel! Beautiful cake, clever girl.

Get welll soon Maya!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY COBY

cazoraz Guest

Happy Birthday Coby!!

Wow I cant believe our kid are turning ONE!:eek:

Happy 1st birthday Coby!!!

Brooke, what is it that you have heard about cows milk that causes you to have concerns about it? I guess I am unable to be impartial in this discussion being a dairy farmer and all that. If you are refering to the A1 milk debate, then from my point of view from the stuff I've read, it is a crock. But that's my opinion. From a nutritional standpoint, full cream milk is perfectly ok for a bub, even once they've started on soilds (such as in cereal, food etc) and even as small drinks (not to replace their normal FF or BF as a meal though until after 12 months). If you want to give something else other than cows milk, then I guess another animal milk would be preferable to rice milk for a baby (such as goats milk or sheep milk - if you can get it), but I reckon you should speak to your MCHN or GP about that.

I, myself, cannot stand rice milk. And that was even before I married a dairy farmer and became involved in the industry. Even the flavoured stuff tastes funny. And as DH would say, it is not rice milk, it is rice sap!! LOL.

Pup has had unpasteurised, unhomogenised milk since he was 6 months (in food) and about 9 months (as a little drink). And he is fine. No hyperactivity, no allergies, no upset tummy. All good.

As I said, it is very hard for me to be impartial, so if we were voting, I would be a vote for cows milk.

Ugh, I forgot to say above, that I have just returned from the hospital. I was feeding calves this morning and I cut my arm on a peice of weld mesh. It is pretty deep and we thought it needed stitches. So in all my dairy finery, stinking like sour milk, and Pup in his work clothes too, we trapsed into casulty. Nurse thought it needed a couple of stitches, but dr said it was ok and some sterry strips would be ok. Phew. But got a tetnus injection though.

Boo hoo....

Brooke,

read that other post. I guess I can't comment too much without taking too much of a stand. At the end of the day, it is really up to you which way you go. I too have read a lot of stuff that talks against many agricultural foods, and a lot of them are unfounded in what they say. Not all, but a lot. As a farmer, all I ask of anyone is that they make their decisions about foodstuffs based on information that has scientific backing. I know that there is a great deal of concerns about what we feed our kids - more so in our day than our parents, but for me, I worry more about the fast foods and the pre-packaged foods that our kids will start to want to eat in the very near future, rather than the basic food groups that they are eating now.

I know that there is a lot of stuff bandied around about chemicals in food, and some of it, I honestly don't know. but I do know that as far as antibiotics and chemicals in milk - it is just not on. We can loose our licences if we put treated milk into the vat and also incur heavy fines. From a farmer's perspective, the very best and highest quality produce is going out of the gate, because that is what we are paid on.

Keep in mind that there are a number of other things that cause reactions that were mentioned in the other post (from an article you read). Allergies, mucus production and intolerance are all things that can be triggered by a number of things.

That being said, I don't think any less of people that choose not to drink milk! I think that maybe I have said my bit, as I really don't want to sound like I am on a soapbox or starting a debate.

PS, my arm is feeling ok!!

I personally, am lactose intollerant, and the twins are mildly too, but I always make sure an adequate diary intake is maintained, as I have seen the results in hospital from poor nutrition, I am sorry if I upset anyone here but vegans are very rarely healthy.Unless they eat substitutes, which most dont. As far as I am concerned a healthy diet follows the food pyramid. IYKWIM, and I try ensure my children follow it daily. So Brooke if you choose to serve and drink rice milk, I would make sure the dairy intake is still adequate with yogurt and cheese IYKWIM. As girls we build up our calcium deposits in our bones until we are 20, then we only maintain them, cannot be replaced. The high incidences and devestation of osteoporosis in our society is almost plague like!!!

Ok off my soap box now, I honestly believe "IN ALL THINGS MODERATION" we need to teach our children junk food is not bad, over indulgence of these foods are, nothing is really bad, as long as its in a good ratio. Even over exercising is unhealthy KWIM, and dont get me on NO FAT diets.......

Anyway its a big world out there and every decision we make regarding our childs health and well being should be made with careful consideration, and thats what you are doing, soooo obviously no matter WHAT you choose, as a parent you are doing your very best, and that in itself must be applauded

No time to say anything more than.....

Happy 1st Birthday Coby!!!!
    Congrats on surviving your first year Bel and Matt!
    xx

Will post more tomorrow when DD is at school, DH at work and the world is back to normal!

Hi Kate - sorry to hear Kelsey isn't sleeping well. Have you tried moving her cot to a new position - (look up some feng shui ideas afor that) and is she comfy in her cot? Try a few different ways.
    We still have Al waking most nights, but re-settling straight away. But funnily enough, we were staying with a aunt on saturday as we were at a wedding - and Al slept through the whole night there. We had him on a very very soft mattress and he didn't move all night. Makes me wonder if he's just not comfy here sometimes...could be something Kelsey is trying to tell you. I guess you just gotta keep comforting her and try and make things right as best you can. Must be tough you poor love, esp with being pregnant as well.

Good on you for getting invites out!

Brooke - we buy organic milk from the supermarket here. It should be available on the shelves there too.

Kate, I was just about to say that I didn't really understand your bit about the URL either, and then i saw the refer to other post. And found out it was MY dumb question asking about it!!!!

As for resettling, sorry don't have any magic bullets for you. Pup is pretty much waking most nights for the past few months (after sleeping right through since 8 weeks old) but luckily he resettles and goes back to sleep after a booby feed. however, your comment about the screaming bit when laying her down...Pup is starting to do that too. Fortunatley it is short lived and I give him a toy to distract him as I leave the room. Once I'm out of the room, he settles fine and goes to sleep. This is the case for most naps and sleeps atm.

Brooke, yeah try the s'market for organic milk. In WA, most of the dairy farms are down mear Margaret River, but I dare say that if you spoke to the WA equivalent of the Victorian United Dairy Farmers (UDV) (I can try to find a number if you'd like??) they could let you know who in your state produces organic milk and then from there you might be able to hunt down a local distributor in Perth. Maybe also check out a gourmet deli if the s'markets can't help you.

Pup is still eating very well mashed foods. There is no way he will take anything lumpy off a spoon. So I cook up small batches of casseroles and stews and then puree them in the blender. I have a store of roughly mashed vegies that I try him on every now and then, but he always spits them out. Sigh. So for the moment, I am sticking with the blended, pureed or very well mashed foods. As for the types of foods, he'll eat just about anything, but I've found that if something is too tomatoey, then he is a bit iffy about it. I have been slack about giving him finger food vegies (steamed) at dinner time as it is just nother thing for me to cook up, and I already have his pureed gloop already done and just need to thaw. But I really should get onto it and let him feed himself. I think he will accept lumpy stuff if he can feed it himself. He eats toast at breaky (little fingers) and dry bikkies (and the occasional sweet one). i also have a recipe for baby muffins (less sugar) that I make up with various fruits and freeze. he eats these ok. Just lumpy stuff off a spoon - no way. I've given up buying the 7+ month old commercial baby food as it is just a waste of money. If I need to feed him baby food (Heinz etc) then he gets the 6 months old selection...about 4 different choices!!

Based on how ugly the cut on my arm is, it is surprisingly painless. DH reckons that goes to show how deep the cut is....it has gone past the nerve endings. Blurghhh.

Hay, awwww Hope your cut heals really quickly, and cleanly, without too much pain.

Brooke,Woohoo for no wrap, and for the cuddle, then settling!!!! ( I love it when they tuck their head into your neck) Thats great that the house will settle tomorrow. The timing doesnt matter for the bday party, just being loved is the important thing.

Deb, hi there. hope you and Al are well.

Kate, at this age the screaming may be more frustration than any thing else, its sooo hard to know what going on inside them, its times like this I wish they could talk. I hope you get some sleep soon. Woohoo about the invites, I am off work for 2 weeks starting on thursday, and invites are on my list of things to do,

Dion eats the same diet as us, he just has a smaller amount, ( not much smaller LOL) he eats nearly everything ( though wasnt too keen on the roast pork the other night, but ate pork cutlets tonight.) Has a problem with scoffing though. If left to his own devices with bread, just keeps shoving it in til he chokes on the huge wad of bread blob, is fine if given small pieces a little at a time, and is fine with toast. He is fed with a fork, and if we have takeaway he has the 1 yr+ foods.

My goodness you girls talk alot while I'm away! Where should I start? (Sorry if I miss anything)

Hay, I hope your arm is starting to heal. I'm glad it's not causing you any pain, although I also hope that it's not going to cause any further complications down the line if the nerves have been severed. I cut my pointer finger tip years back nearly clean across the tip and although I didn't have stitches either - the site was just too small at the tip 1/2 cm from top of my finger, I still don't have much sensation where it happened. Guess I deserve it for opening a bag of ground coffee with an extra sharp knife!

Kate, sorry to hear Kelsey is playing up again with her sleep. I have no advice as Blake has only slept through about 3 times since he was 3.5 months old. Teething has really ruined his sleeping patterns. I think he's cut his 9th tooth too, and the 10th isn't far behind. I can feel one of his molars (or are they pre-molars) poking through. Anyway he's a shocker with sleep while he's teething. Hopefully Kelse will settle again soon. I do like the idea of Feng Shui. Might have to see if we can do anything for Blake. BTW great explanation of the hyperlinks. I'll be cutting and pasting that to Word too for when I need it. Oh yeah Kate, I meant to add I checked out Kelsey's website and we got photos taken of Blake by the same photographer, getting the same large black collage print. It's gorgeous isn't it? I'll have to scan them and put them on Blakes website so you can have a look. We got them take at 4.5months.

Brooke, Congrats to Maya for sleeping without being wrapped! Woo Hoo!!! What CD have you put on for Maya to settle too? I sometimes think about getting one for Blake to see if it helps. I'm not sure if it will cause I think his teeth unsettle him during the night and stop him from sleeping, but I'm willing to try anything! Woo hoo for settlement! Has it happened yet? How exciting! Hope Maya's over her cold too. xx As for your great milk debate, Blake will be moving onto cows milk. We're avoiding the Toddler milk/formula stuff too.

Vanita, Dion's doing a great job with his eating, but he always has, hasn't he? Going back to the milk/food/additives debate, I agree with you. Everything in moderation.

Gemma, I hope you had a lovely birthday. How's Amy going? I bet she's racing along in leaps and bounds as usual. How's the new house? All settled in yet? I do miss you, knowing you were just around the corner from here, even if we didn't really catch up. Does that make sense?

Hi Deb, Caz, and anyone else I've missed.

Blake is cruising along as usual. As I mentioned, I think he's cut one of his molar/premolars. He's has some miserable nights sleep and as a result, so have I. No matter what we try - Panadol, Nurofen, Brauer Teething Relief, Bonjela, whatever, there's not much relief for him. Guess he's just a sensitive little tike. Mind you it must hurt, particularly these big teeth. In a way it's a blessing not to be running off to Paris this week as we were meant to be. He's so disturbed with his teeth he wouldn't have been too happy. Hopefully these teeth are through soon.

Exciting little woo hoo last night. I had put Blake into his grobag and turned on his night light by which I give him his bottle in his room. I do this before I turn off or dim his main light. I commentated what I was doing and did the sign for light - as I always do - and said I'd put on his light. I asked him if he could see the light. He made a grunting noise, pointed and looked up to the ceiling light! He looked back at me to see if I understood what he'd done. He stopped pointing when I told him how clever he was. When I signed, and asked him again where the light was, he did the same, looked, pointed and grunted to the ceiling light. I was thrilled that he understood what I'd asked and was able to communicate back to me his response. It was the second time last night that he'd communicated like that. John was giving Blake a bath and I was fluffing around sorting Viv out, cleaning up from dinner etc. And every time I was in the kitchen which is near the bathroom, Blake would stand up in the bath, grunt and point towards the kitchen where he could hear my voice. When I went into the bathroom he was so excited. I guess he just wanted his Mummy. John was adamant Blake knew what he was doing, and I'm sure he did too.

Birthday party plans are about to happen. Things had been put on hold as Paris was taking priority as it was going to happen first, but now with the delay in the trip, birthdays are now the focus. It's a little bit tricky as we now have 5 cousin birthdays in June - the lasest addition arrived on Friday, my new niece. Anyway there are 4 birthday celebrations to have, with 3 within 4 days at the end of the month. I don't want Blake's 1st birthday to be overshadowed by having to share with his cousins for a family party, however it's so important to celebrate a 1st birthday. I have to talk to my SIL as her son is turning 3, Viv's turning 9, my sister's daughter is turning 13 and all of these need to be recognised on the same day as we do the family celebration for Blake. There's no point having more than 1 party as that's a little silly but we still need to give Blake a big Woo Hoo without being lost in the crowd IYKWIM. Not sure how we'll do it, but I'm sure we'll cope. I'm giving Blake a pirate theme as we've always had that for him since my stepdad gives the kids pirate treasure hunts whenever we get together at his/my mum's place.

OMG, this has turned into a marathon post. I'm so sorry. I'll stop now and promise to add smaller posts more often.

xx
    Last edited by wardygirl; June 13th, 2006 at 12:33 PM.

Kate, I'd love to put Kelse and Blake in the same room. I bet they'd have a ball!

Sorry to hear she's not feeling so great. Sleep is probably the best thing for her if she's feeling out of sorts. Hopefully it's nothing bad, possible just something she's sensitive to, not something nasty. Remember Blake had hives. They lasted a couple of days in total but each hive was only around for a couple of hours and I'm sure it was heat related initially. Big hugs for Kelse (and one for mummy too!)

I didn't know about the 40% for more photos. I will have to look into that cause I wanted to get Viv a collage shot too. I think it would be gorgeous with her red flowing hair.

Ouch for OB costs. Because we went public with M/W care we didn't have any expenses like that. At least you're getting a good chunk back. I was talking to my SIL at the hospital yesterday and she was saying that because she had her choice of dr, even though she was in a public hosptial she has to pay $290 per night for the room alone, let alone the OB's fees. Yet the person in the next room could be in there as a public patient and paying nothing. Sometimes it doesn't seem fair.

I better go and do some work - read cook dinner as it's a skating night for Viv. I've been catching up online for about an hour and got nothing done!

belmarks Guest

hi guys, just a quick post becuase Im pooped and won't be far out of bed.

Thank you all for the birthday wishes for Coby, thanks for remembering xxx

The party was a huge success and I will post some photos on the website later, probably by the end of the week, (can't be bothered now, too tired) and the cake was a hit with everyone. Glad I took the time to make it now.

Kate, Im going through the same "night terrors" as you, Coby wakes sort of screaming like he's had a fright or something and is hard to resettle. I figured with him it was teeth, he is getting some more at the top and they are almost through, so Im hoping once they pop through we'll be right again. Im going to check out some feng shui stuff though. It could work...

Brooke, I've been following what's been happening with you guys, but too much to reply to at this stage, hope the packing is going well and good on Maya for helping you - she's a clever girl!

On the cows milk debate, I absolutely LOVE cows milk, so I'll be giving it to Coby. Im with Vanita in the "everything in moderation" camp. I believe that nothing is bad, unless you're allergic obviously, but you just don't live on junk or whatever, you need a bit of everything, including moderate exercise to maintain a healthy system, like strong bones etc, most people don't know that you have to exercise to have strong bones....

Coby had his 12 month needles today MMR. I was worried about the controversy surrounding the MMR vaccination, but the dr told me that the "hippies" that spread this hype have completely unfounded evidence, they haven't even done conclusive research (if at all) on the subject, but they are putting the fear of God into everyone, but what's the alternative, getting Measles and getting brain damage anyway? Anyway, I hope that Coby doesn't have any side effects from this vaccination, he cried a lot (I made Matt come with me this time to hold him so he could see how heart breaking it is) but he was fine once it was over and he was in the car and asleep before we even got up the road....

Bel, glad Coby had a great party ( who couldnt with a cake like that) poor boy with his MMR. Hope you catch up on some zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Brooke, good luck for the jobs, hope that one is just right for you. Congrats on the house finally settling. Dion only pulls the videos out, not puts them back LOL

Rachel, love to hear from you, short or long doesnt matter. WOW how complicated with all those bdays!!!!!! Hope Paris isnt too far off.

Now for the night terrors, I think they are very common at this age, as they are just learning they are a seperate entity to us. Dion wake some night screaming too, but I usually just lie hime back down, and stroke his back til he settles.
    Dion has got a cold, ( again) and is feeling yuck poor lovely, I hate having to go to work when I know he's not well, as he loves a bb when he's all blocked up and coughy.
    Rianna went to her first 1/2 day at childcare today and loved it, will be going for 1/2 a day on tuesdays. Dion used to have a baby relaxation soothing lullaby cd he settled to when younger.

belmarks Guest

Vanita, thanks for that info on the night terrors. It makes a lot of sense actually! He did really well last night, didn't wake in the terrors at all, just a few little crys for his dummy at about 4am and more blankets I think, that's when it really starts to get cold....

Coby seems fine after his MMR shots yesterday, I hope he stays that way.....

We think that Coby thinks he has "Jedi" powers, he will hold his hand up in the direction of something and sort of will it to him - we keep telling him that he doesn't have Jedi powers and that he can't use the Jedi mind control, but he's not listening......tee he he

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast