Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Babies Born in July 2005 #12

Well I am feeling sad, Dion has been throwing tanties lately when offered the breast, and just flat out refusing ( or biting - not feeding) so it has been a battle in the last weeks to get the feeds in, well I gave up last night and he went to bed without a feed ( second night in a row) 1st thing in the morning feeds were still taken well, without issue, until this morning, when I offered he lost it and went nutso. I re offered 5 times in the next few hours, all with a negative response, so it looks like want to or not I have to give up feeding the last of my bubs early. I will persist in offering for a few days, but I dont have a good feeling at all. SO feeling a little ( actually a lot ) sad over here. tears at the forefront today....
    loves to all.

Ooh Vanita, sorry to hear you feel sad. Dion is getting to be a big independent boy, isn't he? But I bet he'll be hanging around for cuddles from his mum in no time.

This must be the age for the start of tantrums, a few of the bubs in my mother's group are doing it too. Hopefully Al got it out of his system with all that screaming he did for the first 7months (wishful thinking, he's probably ready to let hell break loose). Thanks for posting that info Kate.

We do have problems with poo nappy changes, he just doesn't want to hang around for it mostly. Sometimes if I do 'one little piggy...' same time as changing the nappy, he is distracted enough to let me finish. We do a lot of standing nappy changes too!:eek:

Deb, it continues, most of Rianna's nappy changes are standing ones!!

Oh Vanita, I feel for you......'cause I think it is happening to me too. For the past few nights, the bedtime feeds are getting shorter and shorter, and with the exception of tonight, he has been biting me and screaming...the whole nine yards. I have on a couple occasions relented and given him a bottle of milk (about 100 - 150ml) to settle him down as I thought that maybe I was drying up and hence all the commotion. But it is a vicious cycle..he won't drink and then I dry up, but if I dry up, then he doesn't drink!!

Tonight was another shortish feed, but no biting. But I have to asmit, I was ready for it and every time he moved a certain way, I felt the adrenelin surge ready for the pain. Morning feeds are ok though (atm), but I said to Pup today, that I felt like it was the beginning of the end with bfing him.

I'm sad too, but we really should pat ourselves on the back for getting over the 12 months!

Thats what Dh says, but I admit I am thinking of seeking help ATM. ABA, MHN< GP, everyone and anyone. As I say to DH screaming and throwing a tantrum is not a normal way to wean, and he is getting progressively worse with the tanties, he is inconsolable...... There is NOTHING we can do to calm him, and lately it goes on for an hour or more. Non stop back arching screaming, we hug, rock, sing, divert, stroke, leave alone, and these things were all working until a few days ago, now nothing works. I cant feed him, settle him to sleep, put him in the highchair/pusher/carseat, put him down, pick him up, all of these things set off a tantie. and if I am holding him, I cant stand still, or sit down or he starts. I have never had this with the other 3. I know Kate you said it is a wonder week just after they turn one, but do they mention anger, endless anger??? How long will this go on?? Can I tough it out??? He woke at 5am this morning having a coughing fit. I bought him back to bed with me, and for 1/2 hr he just cuddled in, then it started, well its not long stopped, and then it was after he had a piece of toast in his hands, and I know it will start again soon when he decides he doesnt want any more breakfast. Sorry for a totally selfish post but ATM I am feeeling at my wits end, #4 and I dont have a bloody clue

Yep, I'm getting similar stuff Vanita. Nothing I do seems to make any iota of difference. In fact, what I do tends to make the tantrums worse (if that's possible!). Tantrums for us are usually over nappy changing time, feeding (both solids and bf's), DH seeing him but having to leave, sometimes when I put him in the highchair/pusher/car seat. The highlight of his day is having a bath with DH at night. I feel that he sees me as boring now and anyone is better than mummy! Boo hoo. And he is sometimes quite vicious. He slaps, pinches, bites - he especially does this to people with glasses as he makes a grab for them and then is p*ssed off when he is told NO. And yeah, Pup seems quite angry too. I was hoping it was just frustration - at what I don't really know as me is mobile enough (crawling) and he really does have enough stimulation throughout the day. And this headbutting thing - not only does he do it to me, but he does it to himself. He was banging his head against the pram the other day and if he gets one of our corkboard placemats, he'll quite happily bang himself in the head with it until I take it off him!

Fortunately for us, the sleep routine is not too bad atm, although for the past couple of days, there has been a degree of screaming and crying when he is put down, although this only lasts about 1 minute or less. I'm worried that it will escalate though.

sorry for being MIA for a couple of days, Blake's been really sick. Back to that in a minute...

Woo Hoo Deb!!! Congrats honey on your BFP. Can't wait to follow your pg journey.

**hugs** to Vanita and Hay with both of your boys giving you grief and turning their noses up at the BB's. Hopefully they will get 'back on the horse', if not you're both amazing mothers who have given their boys so much goodness by bfing over 12 months. to both of you.

Back to Blake. He's had a nasty dose of gastro again. Starting from the virus he had with the nose, eyes and ears, it's progressed to full on gastro with him not eating anthing between Wednesday morning and Today. He was at the hospital Thursday night cause I was worried about dehydration. He's been on Pedialyte since Thursday, with some toast introduced this morning. It's been bloody awful, poor boy. Hopefully he's on the mend a bit now, but we've still got a way to go.

Gotta fly.
    xx

Sounds dreadful there for you Hay and Vanita. Geez what is going on with these boys?

I just grabbed a book I have here called 'Breast bottle bowl' and looked up tantrums. The only mention is that it has been found to be correlated with low iron levels. Is it possible the boys need a supplement? I think our babies get the majority of their iron through milk (?).Interestingly it is recommended here in Denmark to give a supplement to those over 1 year of age if they don't get 400mls of milk a day.
    Might be a question you can ask the health professionals there anyway. HTH.

Deep breaths girls. Hope you get some peace and quiet.

<--- cont'd

Oh Rachel, poor you with Blake and gastro. Get well soon little man!

Hi Kate and Brooke and Bel and Gemma!

Hope you all have a good weekend.
    Last edited by sunbeam koala; July 29th, 2006 at 04:28 PM.

Have not had as bad a day as I thought I would have, coz I bundled the kids up and went for a walk to mums, and stayed there and had lunch, and then my sister came over and we went for a bike ride. havent had a sleep yet though, hoping that will be soon. Rianna is in bed, and dion is playing with my sister - thankfully

Deb, thanks for that will see, as Dion is a pale laddie, but probably too late, as it is months since I expressed and dont seem to be having much luck, I guess everyones gotta stop someday LOL

Oh Rachel, hugs to Blake, hope he picks up quickly. Has he been weighed? When Rianna had gastro she lost 2 kg ( it took nearly three weeks to get back to a normal diet) hope Blake's spirits are still happy.

Kate, Dion is drinking no milk. The first day he didnt BF I gave him about 100ml in the morning, and he had 10 poo's for the rest of the day, and since then he wont touch the stuff, no matter how much i offer it. So I am just making sure he has yogurt and cheese, will need to see someone to get this all reviewed.
    But up until thursday he was having a bf first thing in the morning, and one before bed at night, and on occasions asked for one at about 3pm

Deb, that is interesting about the iron. I wouldn't think that Pup is low - he eats a lot of vegies, including silverbeet, but you never know.... I'm going to ask at our next MCHN meeting.

Kate, Pup drinks about 300 - 350ml (maybe) of cows milk a day. This includes the amount on his cereal of a morning and any that I use to "water'" down pureed vegies (he still haves trouble with lumps off a spoon!). He is on a full BF in the morning and at night though, so if he weren't on these, his milk intake would be higher. He also has yoghurt about 3 - 4 times a week and a little bit of cheese now and then. The drink in the middle of the day (to replace the BF) is anywhere between 150 - 200ml depending on what he'll take. Actually sometimes it is higher.

thanks Kate, I recieved and read the info and feel less like an idiot

Brooke, lovely to have a break, I hope you feel refreshed ( despite the sleep issues) How did Maya go with the long drive, we havent been more than 2 hrs away since Buddy Boy was born

I have read from Kate's wonder weeks, and basically its says we should all expect unsettledness, not eating well, and lots of tanties, and thatwe need to try figure out what they are asking for ( UGH) today we went to the pool, and everyone had a great time, ( my 1st time in taking all 4 by myself - I usually find it tricky with the two littlies) anyway Dion was tired, and fell asleep in the car on the way home, then wouldnt go back to sleep when we got home ( 5 mins) and screamed blue murder for over an hour. I tried to get him back to sleep, no go, offered him food, and drinks ( all thrown at me or on the floor) I left him on the floor, but he continued ( whereas previously he would chill out after a few minutes) I kept trying different things, in the end he stopped when I offered him a peeled apple!!!! He is now happily playing on the floor with his apple. I am finding this very tricky ATM!!!!!!

Kate - Al has 180mls of milk after breakfast and another 180 before bed at night.
    I read that brussels sprouts are full of folic acid.

I read in the same book 'Your childs iron requirements can be met by an egg plus a thin slice of beef, a serve of cereal and 4 slices of bread.' ... 'other good sources of iron for toddlers include baked beans, pork, veal, soy beans, lentils, chickpeas and pate.'

Welcome home Brooke! thanks for the congrats. I am still in a state of shock, but I suppose I'll get used to it soon.

We're off to the beach, another corker here today.

HI all,
    Flying visit. Can't really keep up with all you've written. Blake's still quite sick. I've been offering him food - toast, rice, litle sandwiches since yesterday. He's still not on much milk - I think I offered him 50mls of soy today just to see how he'd take it. He's stopped vomiting (oh except for one today) but now that he's eat and drinking (Pedialyte) more, he's having very runny poos. Poor little mite.
    Vanita, to answer your question, he's lost 900g between 4/7 when he had his 12mth MCHN check and 27/7 when he was at The Angliss hospital. I'm glad he started at 11.28kg on the 4/7 cause he's now down to 10.38kg. At least he had some weight up his sleeve to loose. I certainly notice the difference in his weight, he's so light now! LOL
    Seriously, he's still very weak, wont walk, barely crawls unless I've left the room an he wants me, doesn't have much energy to play. The best thing that happened was Vivienne got him to smile and laugh a little tonight as she was blowing raspberries on his thighs and tummy as I was getting him dressed after his bath. First time I'd seen him happy like this for days.

Love to all, especially you Vanita. You seem to be having quite a time with your Master Dion.
    xx

Ohhh poor Blake. I really hope he picks up for you soon Rach. Hard having a little sickie and you can't do much for them.

My news today..... Pup took a dive off the change table! My fault really. I had him sitting on it and I turned around to pick a pair of socks off the floor behind me and I heard "thump". I turned around in time to see him almost bounce onto his back. He's not hurt at all...just got a fright. Actually, he didn't even cry all that much....less than when he's chucking a tantie!!!

to you Vanita and Hay and extra to Blake and Rachel.

So it sounds like this tantrum business is normal. I hope Dion settles for you Vanita. Great job taking them all to the pool!

Hi Kate, thanks for posting the info. Hope you and Kelse are well.

Hi Brooke, welcome back. Hi Bel.

Just a quick one from me. AF arrived on Sat night 5 days late!!! I was not happy but yesterday joined the Tony Ferguson weight loss program as I feel the extra weight I am carrying is not helping with TTC. Amy is great and has started to run. We went to Sciencworks on Sat and she loved it. She kept going in every direction and she is into climbing stairs now. Getting so hard to keep up with.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast