Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies born July 2006 #2

Hi ladies

Em Sorry to hear about your friend, that makes me feel sick too.

Bubs Hope Danielles check up goes well.

Fee Dylan's been smiling too but have yet to quite capture it on camera. He especially smiles with his mouth full of nipple or when I call him cheeky cheeky and stroke his little chubby cheek, so cute!

Shellbabe and Fee I have been using a nipple shield since coming home from hospital and try to latch Dylan on without it and it works for a bit and then he will slip off and get too frustrtaed to get back on withiout it. I think I am going to keep using it as long as my baby is being fed I can't see the harm. I too have flat and very senstivie nipples so I think it is the only way I can do it. Is there any harm in using them does anyone know????

Went to a settling talk put on by the local Maternal Child Health centre on Tuesday which was pretty good and gave a few good tips that I didn't know already like stroking the babies forehead down to the tip of the nose helps them to relax and close their eyes, and it works! Also I have been wrapping Dylan wrong apparantly and now have two different ways of swaddling to use, one with hands in and one with hands out. The MCHN that ran the talk also talked about looking after yourself and taking time out when your are feeding to look at your baby and talk to your baby which I hadn't been doing always, I had been doing it with the TV on or during a phone call and now I am really trying to just concetrate on my baby and look at him heaps and now I realise that if his eyes are open he looks at me a lot which I had been missing out on.

I have had a bit of nappy brain I put my nipple shields and some of Dylans dummies on the stove to boil the other night and forgot them and only when I could hear some crackling noises coming from the kitchen did i run down to find the water all gone and the shields and dummies melted into the pot. So that all went in the bin and then started the water works as all of my nipple shields were in the pot so I was then saying to DH that I couldn't feed my baby waaaaaa. DH wanted to go out and buy some more (9pm at night) but I calmed down and fed him a bit on the nipple and expressed some milk and fed him with the bottle as well. I also made thew house stink of nelkted latex plus I nearly set the house on fire. What a drama!

Does anyone elses babies spew after every feed, I am wondering if this is reflux?

Everyone's tickers look so good!

Anyway that's all for now.

Fraser - that's so sad about your friend.

It's amazing how tuned in to new things you become after having a baby. I was in our local shopping centre yesterday and saw a mother with a pram panicking that she'd lost her toddler. I nearly cried there and then with her (thinking what if it happened to me) and couldn't relax until her little boy was found several minutes later.

Sarina is now 6 weeks old and has had a strange week this week. She's had a couple of really unsettled days where she couldn't sleep from 10am until around 8pm - no naps at all - alternating with a really good textbook baby day - sleep for at least an hour, feed happily and play for a while....and then dropping off to sleep easily.

It's was so hard when she didn't sleep at all. Last evening she slept on my chest for a couple of hours and made some really painful screaming cries but in her sleep.

Does anyone else's little one scream out in their sleep?

She also was a really 'efficient' feeder (quick to jump on, feed well then jump off) until about 4 days ago and has started to get really sleepy at each feed and taking twice as long. Not sure why she's changed - has anyone else had that experience?

Fee Guest

Has anyone's baby laughed yet? Cooper does this sound exactly like a laugh but it's usually when he's drifting off to sleep in my lap after a feed (when he's dozy). It's very weird but it sounds so much like a real laugh. I can see the smile on his face too.

Bubseykel – How did Danielle's 6 week check up go?

Cassie – Cooper smiles during feeds too! It is a very cheeky smile!

Yay for another nipple shield user! You have made me feel a lot better. The only harm I have been told about using a nipple shield is that it can decrease your milk supply as the baby is not directly stimulating the breast. I have a lot of milk though so there shouldn't be a problem for me yet.

The midwives at the hospital who gave me the nipple shield said I do not need to sterilise it. Just to wash it in hot water with detergent and then store it in a container in the fridge. I only have the one shield and often wonder what would happen if it broke or something. DH would have to run out and get me another!

Wow that's cool about the tip to stroke baby from forehead to nose because my DH has been doing that! I don't know where he picked it up from! But it works most of the time on Cooper.

No Cooper doesn't spew that much so I can't help you out with that question.

RoyaUK – I have noticed that Cooper's "routine" has changed that many times it's not funny. I think it's pretty normal. For a while he was doing 40 minute feeds and now he's doing 10 minute feeds. Then one week he was great at sleeping during the day and now he's usually unsettled in the mornings. I'm just getting used to it!

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

good morning ladies and bubs ... hope we all have a good weekend.

Cassie - I bought a steriliser because I knew that would be me or if we got a microwave one I would cook it (as we use our m'wave as convection oven all the time too and I turn it on to preheat without looking).At least you could express - so frustrating though to 'cook' them.

Joel - has a little chuck(or big) every feed and sometimes a bit more later. Taking him to chiropractor Monday to see if helps - sure he has reflux.I have tried the nipple shield with him but he still isn't that interested.So it is still EBM for him. One bonus is that DH feeds him overnight.I stay in bed and feed Sammy.

We have no routine - go with the flow or whoever is crying loudest goes first,a bath whenever I fit it in or when DH comes home.They are fairly settled and I haven't had many hair pulling moments yet.

Morning all

FeeI had no idea that a shield can decrease your supply. I am having supply issues at the 6ish and 9ish feed of a night and sometimes have to top him up with formula. I am going to call ABA for some advice. I thought Dylan laughed the other day but DH said it wasn't a laugh.

Roya Sarina could be going through her 6 week growth spurt.

Babyamore It was very frustrating to cook all of them oh well. We went and looked at sterilizers but DH thought they were too expensive, though cheaper than replacing our flat if I burn it down!

Off to feed my boobie boy.

Fee Guest

Cassie, do a Google search on "nipple shield". There is lots of information.

Although one website says "Milk supply may slowly decline over time if the baby is not well attached." So I guess if attachment is good then there should be no problems?

Most things I've read say you should wean off the shield in just one or two weeks. Hmmm well that hasn't happened with me!

Hi guys!!

I have not been here for ages I thought I should drop in and say hi and update you on my baby!

Baby's DOB: 21 July 2006
    Baby's Stats: Weight - Length - Head Circ - 3.6 kg - 51 cm - 36.6 cm
    Gender of Baby: Female
    Baby's Name: Emma Jessie
    Baby's Website: http://hampton.faberex.com/Default.a...th=Baby%20Emma
    Health Concerns: None
    Notes: Emma was born via emergency C Section after many hours of labour when we realised she was not going to fit through my pelvis!

Emma is now just over 4 weeks old. It has been a very hectic 4 weeks! I had a lot of feeding issues due to flat nipples and was using a shield for the first 3 weeks. I was also expressing at every feed and giving ebm because I could just not give her enough just form the breast. It was exhausting! After a lot of practising and help from a lactation consultant (from the local early childhood centre) I was finally able to get Emma to attach without the shield for the first time ever and have not needed the shield since! I don't know why but one day she just got it. She was also a very slow feeder and sometimes we would be sitting there for 1 and a half hours and she was still hungry which was pretty frustrating. I would need to wake her 4-5 times each feed :mad: Luckily her sucking seems to be getting better and faster and I also think I have more milk now so these days it's taking only 30 to 40 minutes per feed. Last check she was 3.8 kg and 53 cm so at least she is growing! Overall things are going well. I am tired a lot of the time but I think I am getting used to the lack of sleep! At least she only wakes once in the middle of the night (unlike when we first came home and there would be at least two late night feeds )

It's so great to hear how everyones going with their babies I will try to be less of a lurker

Kylie

Hi Kylie, I have added your details to the front page for you.

Bubs- wow you seem to be doing so much, i bet Danielle was so tired. Today Charlotte has been sleepy, we went out to my opa's for lunch and then went to the local factory outlets which were crap, she is asleep in her bed at the moment, she has been sleeping in their most of the time during the night and sleeping in her seing during theday.i think my supply has started to build up again. YAY.

kyliealysha- Welcome back and congrates on the birth of Emma.

Cassie- i too have nearly burnt down the house, i did with Madisons bottles when she was younger, i has a tea- towel too close to the stove and that caught on fire when i was trying to put her to sleep, Lucky for those smoke alarms.

Fee- Charlotte has not laughed yet, i think its too early, i think she is starting to smile still i don't know if its wind or not.

Well we had out 4 week check up yesterday
    Weigh tbirth- 3.29kgs 4 weeks- 3.69kgs
    Height, birth- 48cms- 4 weeks- 51.5cms
    So she is growing, i can see it too, its funny because she weighs in nearly what Madison was born at and i can never remember Madison being that small. We have had a few restless nights lately but she has gone down alright tonight so hopefully she will sleep well tonight, i am going to give her a top up feed before i go to bed.

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Hi Kylie & Emma - welcome back - I wondered how you went -congratulations of your little girl.

Thanks Fee will have a look for information on Google. I had a look at your Yahoo site with the photos of Cooper he is soooooo cute and has some of the same things as Dylan, like the rocker and 'hoodie' and they seem to do similar things in photos or more likely that we have taken similar photos. You look great too not at all like you had a baby a month ago, I still have a floppy belly which sticks out a bit.

KMH Yay for Charlotte's stats.

Welcome back Kylie.

Hi All - so much to catch up on!

vomits after feedingBen has the tendency to power spew after feeds - I spoke to the Comm Health Nurse and she suggested sitting him up very slowly after a feed , not patting or rubbing his back - as this can encourage the spewing, and letting the burps come up on their own. It has really helped - have to wait a while for burps - she said 10 mins, doen't usually take that long, but it makes the feed longer as I do it ANY time he detaches from the nipple, but its better than being drenched in vomit! It is incredible how quickly Ben can create a load of washing! (seconds!!)
    I had a big cry last week after being spewed on for the gazillionth time (well it felt like it!) and DH asked me what was wrong and I told him I was fed up with being spewed on. So in his Blokey way he solved the problem and said lets put him on formula - then I can feed him too. Of course I took this all the wrong way, thought DH was trying to make me feel guilty and started bawling my eyes out...We sorted it out and I told Dh all he needed to do was give me a hug and offer to help clean up.

Fee Ben occasionally does the laugh thing too, also in his sleep with a smile...it sounds gorgeous! I don't know if it's wind or if he's told himself a joke...

Does any one else have tailbone pain? Mine has been sore since labour and when I sit to feed Ben after a while it aches like a big bruise. Think I may need to see the physio.

Yesterday, and the night before, Ben was really unsettled - fed every two hours and wouldn't sleep alot, then last night he had two 5 hour sleeps - so I woke up in pain this morning with EEEnormous pammies. I reckon he was reacting to the coffee I had on Friday (a girls got to have a vice!) - or he's going through a growing stage.

Hopefully I will see the Comm health nurse this week and I can find out just how much growing he has done.
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend everyone - I'm hoping to get out this afternoon for a girlfriend's birthday.

Fee Guest

Cooper graduated into Huggies Infant nappies over the weekend. Also we bought more 000 clothes for him. I don't think he has many 0000 outfits that still fit. There are a couple but not many. At his 4 week check up he was 57 cm – so he's growing quite tall I think!

It was our longest time out of the house yesterday. I think we were out from about 9.30 am until 5.00 pm. We went to DH's parents for about 20 minutes, then K-Mart, then off to my parents' house for lunch and after that a quick visit to my friend's place.

Cooper is usually really good and really sleep when we're out and about. But he was a little grizzly at mum and dad's and wanted to be fed every 2 hours. Well actually he was not that grizzly but he wouldn't sleep!!! By the time we visited my friend late in the afternoon he was overtired I think. He was crying and Mark couldn't settle him. So we popped him in the car and decided to go home. He screamed blue murder as we were backing out of the carpark. I have never heard him scream like that before! Then about 2 seconds later he was out like a light and slept all the way home!!! I fed him as soon as we walked in the door and then he was fast asleep again after that and next woke about 5 hours later.

kyliealysha – Hi Kylie, nice to see you hear again! Glad to hear you're still going well without the nipple shield. Wish I could give mine up that easily!

kmh – Sorry to hear Charlotte has had some restless nights. Hope they stop for you!

Cassie – Thanks for the compliments of Cooper – we think he is very cute too! And don't worry – my belly is a bit floppy and still sticks out a bit compared to my pre-pregnancy belly!

boybump – How's your tailbone pain? I haven't had that. I hope it goes away for you soon.

Tulip – I love the photo of Lucas in his rocker with the bottle! So cute. That is a nice rocker too. I like it. Regarding contraception – we'll probably just use condoms.

Cassie – we start our talks/Mother’s Group next Monday. Our first one is on settling too. I hope it’s as good as yours was.

Roya – Danielle does this to me too. On Saturday she had about 3 catnaps for about 20 minutes for the whole day from about 7am to 9pm. She was grizzly the whole day but yesterday all she wanted to do was eat and then go to sleep. We have those long sleepy feeds about 8pm every night. She wants something before she goes to bed but it takes forever so I take it from her and she grizzles and then goes to sleep. They are so annoying! The other night I did hear her do a few noises that woke me up about 11pm and 12am but she didn’t cry out for a feed until 1.30am.

Fee – I’m not sure if Danielle’s a laugh either. She does this weird sound with a sort of a smile. I’m not sure what she’s doing or thinking. Danielle has had those days too and those blue murder screams are horrible and make me want to cry. Cooper must have been drained. How was he the next day?

Kylie – you are so lucky that they found out about Emma not fitting through your pelvis. I apparently have the same problem but I went through with a vaginal birth but had complications at the end with Danielle being stuck and being twisted and pulled from me. She ended up with a broken shoulder bone but she’s fine now and been given the all clear.

Kel – yay for your milk supply!! I’m thinking about giving up as I love going out with her and we have such hectic lives even before then. I think that’s probably why it’s really dropped off for me and I always hated the thought of Bfing in public. Charlotte’s doing very well!!

Cle – don’t you love your hormones!! I try now to bite my lip now but it’s so hard at times. Sorry no pain in my tailbone. Sounds like Ben’s going thru a growing stage!!

Tanya – we’ve decided for condoms for now too. I didn’t want the hormones that are in the pills to go into the breast milk which does happen but there is no research that shows it’s harmful but I don’t want to risk it. I had a bit of a lecture at the doctors the other day about using just condoms about then not being 100% safe but is anything?? I wanted to have a go at him but decided to just sit there and nod. With the mini pill you only have a 3 hour span to remember to take it compared to the pill which has a 12 hour span. Too risky for me too!! Lucas is just beautiful!!

We had a good day on Saturday. The Baby Expo was great!! Got heaps of freebies!! I’ve learnt from a MW at the expo that I need to have pelvic xrays before I have our next one to see if my pelvis is big enough or if Danielle was just presenting funny and that’s why we have troubles. At least someone explained things to me and not just saying I need a Caesar. But I did get some sad news. I found out that my SIL had a miscarriage between last Christmas and New Year. She told me and our other friend that went with us over a coffee while I fed Danielle. She didn’t tell me she was pregnant but for some reason on New Year’s Eve I got the feeling she was but she was actually loosing right then. She found out Christmas Eve on a home test but a few days later she started to bleed and lost it. She said she didn’t want to tell me as I was only 11 weeks at Christmas and 12 weeks at New Year and she didn’t want to upset me as I lost one before Danielle. I don’t know if I should feel upset or angry that she tiptoed around me. But I’m glad she has told me now. She would’ve been due about now if she carried. It’s so sad that I couldn’t been there for her the way she was with me.

Ken and I had a massive fight again on Friday. He started at me about not cleaning the house and that the house looks like a pigsty. I lashed back and told him it quit his job and look after Danielle fulltime and you see what it’s like. I cried and cried and cried. After I washed Danielle and started to serve dinner he came in with her and gave me a massive hug and said he was sorry with tears running down his face. He felt so guilty that he has helped me clean up the house over the weekend and helped with night nappy changes while I’ve been getting her bottle ready. I think he realised over the weekend when I’ve left him to look after her for a while while I did something else that it’s not that easy. Yesterday we went out for breakfast with just the 3 of us (Danielle sleeping luckily) to a place just up the road which was lovely.

Enough bad news – I got good news from my brother – he’s off his charges!! Apparently there’s not enough evidence that he did it and the girl’s story keeps changing so they’ve dropped the charges!! It becomes official this Thursday. He’s back to himself again!! So so happy!!

Danielle’s checkup went OK with the Health Nurse. She came up with the same as the doctor:

Weight – 4.74 kilos or 10lbs 7oz
    Height – 54cm
    Head – 37cm

She thinks they measured her wrong at birth but that’s definitely the measurements. She doesn’t smile that much if any at all which the nurse was concerned about but she does things that a 3 month old would do like suck her hand and reconise her hand which she did infront of the nurse. I hope there’s nothing wrong with her. She’s made me all concerned now. When did your babies start smiling heaps? She also seems to think that she’s got a lazy eye. Her eyes aren’t central if that makes sense and it could be a lazy eye. If it’s not normal by 3 months she’s being shipped off to a specialist. She’s made me so worried things aren’t right. I’ve been trying to notice things more but her smiling doesn’t happen – she just stares at me and her eyes are off center.

At least she sleeps well at night and even puts herself to sleep. I feed her and burp her, put her in her cradle awake and she puts herself to sleep after about 15 minutes! She’s lovely in that way I don’t really settle her too much at all!! That’s one thing I’ve learnt over the last few expos – that they need to learn to put themselves to sleep. Danielle does it perfectly!!

I better go. Sorry it’s so long – so much to say! Off to physio today to see if I'm going back into shape the right way!!

Have a great day!!

Bubs- Don't worry about Danielle not smilling much, she will do it in her own time, i have a lazy eye, i had to have an op on it when i was a baby but its all good now, though i can not go crossed eyed. Have you decicded to put Danielle on the bottle all the time, if its easier for you then you do it, Madison wasn't b/f had she is doing well, i don't mind feeding when i am out. Thats good the Ken has worked out how much you do around the house, Tim has always said what ever i can do it great, he dosn't mind helping out around the house, which is good, he cooked tea yesterday has his brothers came up.

Fee- wow cooper is tall, Charlotte was 51.5cms at 4 weeks, she still fits in her 0000 clothes well, expect bonds jumpsuits she is in 000. She will also be in newborn nappies for a while yet as she only weighed in at 3.6kgs on friday. We are still getting restless nights i don't know why. Charlotte cyed like that last night, i thought she wanted to be feed expect she had alot of wind, poor thing.

Tulip- Lucas could be going through a growth spurt. i hope he sleeps longer for you soon. Also for contraception you can get the implant that goes into your arm and that works for 3 years, i am going to ask about that one.

Last night Charlotte woke up after an 1hr crying Tim got her up and we thought she was hungry (i feed her 1hr before that) so i feed her again, only to her not attching and screaming, I started to cry as i was so tired and i could not settle her, so Tim took her and the poor thing had so much wind, after that she took a good few hours to get her back to sleep, and she has been sleeping well today.

Hi Beautiful Girls!

Well today Rob went back to work!:eek: I have been dreading this day for over a week...last night I was so ****ty and short tempered as I was worrying myself sick that I wouldnt be able to manage on my own...I even went and had a shower so that I could cry and cry without Rob knowing...for some reason I didnt want to worry him! But so far Jensen and I are doing pretty well...I guess the one thing that really scares me is that Rob has been doing one of the night feeds with ebm...but now I have to do it all on my own...and Jensen feeds every 2 1/2 hours at night at the moment....so fingers crossed that I manage to get some sleep during the day....ohh and the other thing is that Jensen still seems to rip the ends off my nipples...and they bloody kill by the end of the day!!! Ouch!!!!
    One a better note! I have found that sitting and bouncing on a fit ball when he wont settle is AMAZING...he looooooves it!!!! And settles straight away...so give this a go girls if your bubs has wind!
    Does anyone else who has a boy find that the pee on you all the time!!! Our MD said to use a hair dryer on low/warm to dry his bum and bits...and Jensen loves it...he almost smiles...but as soon as I turn it off...he just pees ALL over the place...lol!!! Its like Ahhhhhhhhhhhh...lol!! Funny boy!
    Trish- hmmm contraception!! Well Im still to scared to get my hoo haa out...poor Rob! But I think we might start in a couple of weeks and I guess we will use condoms too.

Kel- Your amazing honey! And your doing a wonderful job being a new Mum and wife... I think as we all now know...nothing is as easy as it seems....and at times we all need help from our DH's...I find with Rob that I have to ask...and then hes happy to help...but hes not very intuative (spel)... he dosent see all the washing and think to put a load on...stuff like that...so Kel I do know how it feels babe! Glad to hear the good news re your brother!

Em...thinking of you and your friends- hope your ok...

Fee- Wow!!! 5 hour sleep..you lucky bugger!!!! Whats the secret?????? I cant seem to get Jensen to sleep for more than 3 hours and thats pusing it!!!

Cas- thank for the tip re stroking the head....it worked for me last night at 3.20am...I thought of you and smiled when it worked

ok.. well better go and have some lunch...before he wakes up!
    love Cyn

Fee Guest

Bubseykel – Cooper is great at self-settling at night too. But only at night. For the last 2 weeks or so he's been terrible at it during the day! I have to put him to sleep in the Baby Bjorn. The mornings are the worst. He's finally asleep in his cot now.

About smiling … Cooper has done a smile type of thing since birth but it was obviously a wind smile. I believe it became a real smile at 2 weeks. Because his mouth opened up so wide and his whole face lit up – you could really see it in his eyes. He does it a lot more now. But you can't always make him do it. So I wouldn't say he's a really good smiler yet IYKWIM!

kmh – I think DH is hoping Cooper will be very tall. He hopes Cooper will be a great AFL star!!! LOL. DH is tall though – 6'3". I'm a shorty at 5'4". Hope you have some good nights with Charlotte soon.

Fee Guest

Boisey we must have posted at the same time!

No secret to getting Cooper to sleep well at night. I have no idea. He's just pretty good at it. He's not so good at sleeping during the day at the moment though. I'm about to go and post about it in a general forum.

Cooper has done a few piddles when he's nappy is off, but not that many. Maybe about 5 times?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast