Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Babies born July 2006 #2

Arvo girls

Boisey This is what I am doing with Dylan of a night and it mostly works. I change and feed him about 6ish and then burp him and have a little play, then I put him in his bed awake, I wrap him and pop his dummy in and cover him with his blanket and put on some music and then I say very softly time for sleep and I also say SHHHHH! Then every time he grizzles or cries I go back in and do the same thing over again, pop the dummy back in, say shhhh or time for sleep and make sure his blanket is ok. The 6-9pm time is the worst for us and he is quite unsettled but I persist. Then for the next feed 9 or 10 I go in and make sure I only use a lamp not the big light and I get him up and chaneg his nappy and feed him and put him straight back to bed with no play or stimulation and I do the whole thing again, the dummy, wrap him, music etc and he only needs to be settled a couple of times. He will usually sleep from then until about 3 or 4 which is 5 hours approx. Then when he wakes I don't even turn a light on I chnage and feed him in the dark (cos I usually am half asleep anyway) and pop him back in and he falls asleep striaght away and will sleep til about 7 or 8. This is our 'routine' if you want to call it that. During the day is a different story and he only really catnaps. But I make sure he sleeps in the light so if I have him sleeping in his bed it is with the curtain open and I don't do anything with him that I would do during the nigth ie wrapping, music, etc. I am pretty sure he can tell the difference between night and day by what happens. Also I rarely let him fall asleep on the boob. They say (experts, MCHN, etc) that they should be going to bed awake not already asleep. I know this is difficult and it is bound to happen sometimes but it shouldn't be all the time otherwise they will not be able to put themselves to sleep without the boob. If Dylan falls asleep during a feed and I feel he needs to finish or have more I will take his socks off or sit him up or unbutton his his grosuit, etc and this usually wakes him enought to finish. I hope this helps feel free to ask anymore questions if you want.

Mumof2beauties Welcome to the group. Feel free to read what I have written to Boisey as it relates to what you have written.

Baiza Did you get my email?

To those who had vaginal births is anyone having issues with bladder control (sorry if TMI)? I am trying to do perlvic floor exercises but forget most days.

Had our fourth mothers group yesterday and we talked about stimulating our babies had some good ideas. Is everyone doing tummy time with their bubs?

Hi Haley! You are more than welcome...this is a great group of groovin girls...Im sure you get heaps out of it! Ky was born on the same day as Jensen!! Sorry to hear that your having the same problems as me with Ky re feeding.... but your doing very well especially with gorgeous little girls to look after as well... you must be super mum!
    Im feeding as i type...still no sleep today... :eek:
    love
    cyn

Ohhh Cas! Your a gem!!!
    thankyou so much for your advice babe...I will give it a red hot go tonight.... anything has to be better than what im going through now...lol! And whay your doing with Dylan makes soooo much sense...I think I have read too many books and just confused myself...
    As for your question... i do my pelvic floor twice a day while
    I brush my teeth, but i forget too...and I had a vaginal birth and everything seems pretty much back to normal...but we havent DTD yet... Ill wait till my 6 week check up!
    And as for catching up...Id love to...we live in box hill now...but Im happy to meet where ever...I think KMH (kelly) lives in pakenham....we should organise it!!!

gotta run... Jensen just threw all over me!! lol!!!!!!!

Cassie - yep - I'm doing tummy time with Danielle. I've been doing it since she was about 3-4 weeks old. The clinic nurse said it was good for them and I can see a huge improvement in Danielle's sitting up. I don't do it every day or when she's tired and grizzly but she can happily play like that and usually falls asleep afterwards for a catnap or when she starts to cry then I pick her up. She also loves the nuddy tummy time. I just make sure I have a plastic change mat and a towel under her so I can catch the wee!! I had a vaginal birth but I don't seem to have any bladder problems. Just keep doing your pelvic floors.

Mumof2 - welcome!! Don't be afraid to chat on here. Everyone goes thru the exact same thing at some stage. I was feeling very down about 2 weeks ago when Danielle was 6 weeks old. Please let it out and we'll all help you if we can.

Shell - hang in there babe!! I know it's frustrating when they do it (Danielle was like that all morning) but they will grow out of it. You are doing a wonderful job.

Cyn - you poor dear. This is what I do with Danielle. I bath her between 5-6 and then feed her. I wait until 7-7.30 and give her a top up feed. She usually sits with me until 8pm then I put her in her bed and said good night, tuck her in, put her lamp, her 'Pooh' light on and her soothing music and leave the room. She ususally falls asleep within half an hour. She doesn't cry as such, she almost talks herself to sleep. If she crys I go in and give her a cuddle for a while and try again but I don't have this very often. I don't swaddle her anymore as by the time they can roll over it's not a good idea to do that as they can get stuck in the blanket and suffercate. I'm quite lucky with Danielle that she's a good sleeper. You could do a google on Tizzy Hall. She's a sleep expert and she may be able to help with you with some info. I saw her a few weeks ago and one thing she said is that you shouldn't put them to sleep with a dummy in and that you should give them something like a crochet blanket with a satin edge. But I say each to their own!! Hang in there matie - you'll get there.

Not much to report here. Haven't heard from the doc yet about my test results. This cold/flu is getting worse and my patients with Danielle is becoming less because of it. DH went to the doc and got antibiotics for it as it's that bad. I'll just sit at home and ride it out.

Hope everyone else is doing OK. Take care everyone.

Fee Guest

I have done two full feeds without the nipple shield today! From start to finish for 15 minutes and the other for about 10 minutes. I tried the other day on the right side and after about 5-10 minutes it was hurting a lot. The first time I tried today was on the left and it didn't hurt at all. The feed after that was on the right and it did hurt a little after a while. If it doesn't hurt at the start does that mean attachment is correct? It only hurts after awhile. Maybe it's just sensitive? I assume if attachment was wrong there would be pain straight away. Or maybe it's possible for Cooper to be attached correctly and then for his mouth to change position on my nipple?

Bubseykel Sorry to hear about your cold/flu. It must feel awful to be so sick. I hope you feel better soon.

kmh Thanks so much for the news on Dee. How scary. I also had a clot the size of my hand in hospital. I freaked out. But thankfully that was it just the one big one. I hope Dee will be okay. Kelly that's such a cute pic in your ticker!

chantal25 How was the Mothers' Group? I had my first one yesterday and it went well.

baiza Sorry I haven't had a chance to get onto the chat room yet. I will try tomorrow.

Boisey Sorry I don't have much advice on sleeping at night. Cooper is great. It's during the day when he is bad! At night I just feed, change nappy and offer the other side. Then I pop him in the cot and go. That's it. I guess I'm lucky that he can self-settle at night. I hope Jensen improves soon. I know how frustrating it can be as Cooper frustrates me during the day sometimes. He hates to sleep in his cot for some reason. But at night he is fine.

Shellbabe Yay for being shield free! Congrats!

mumof2beauties Welcome to the group!

Cassie No issue with bladder control here. I hope it improves for you. I've been really slack with pelvic floor exercises. I feel bad!

And yes I do tummy time with Cooper. Sometimes he falls asleep though! I've been doing it since he was born.

i did i thought i sent you the link dosent matter ill send it again
    bubs iv sent you yours too

muma Guest

Default lachlan was born 4th july 2006

Forum Name:Muma
    State:vic
    Baby's DOB:4-7-06
    Weight - 8pound11-3960g
    Length -51.5cm
    Head Circ -35.5cm
    Gender of Baby: male
    Baby's Name:lachlan robert
    Baby's Website:none
    Health Concerns: none whats so ever his very healthy boy
    Notes: he is such a darlin, sleeps all night and is just adroable

Fee - from what I remember from in hospital they said there should be no pain what so ever when BFing. It could be possible that Cooper is slowly sliding off during his feed and that's why it's OK to start with and not later on. Maybe try reattaching him half way through the feed and see if that helps. Danielle won't sleep in her cradle during the day either unless she's having one of those sleeping all day days. Infact she doesn't sleep much during the day at all. I'm lucky if she had 3 half an hour cat naps per day but she sleeps well at night from 8ish to 4-6ish so I guess I can't really complain.

Baiza - I didn't get the e-mail from you. Can you please re-email it to [email protected]

Muma - welcome to our group.

I got Mum to take me to the doctor this morning. The flu is not good. I woke up sweating and now I'm cold. My body is aching and Danielle feels like she's 100 kilos to pick her up. Hopefully the antibiotics are going to kick in soon and fix me up.

I'm hoping Danielle will have a longer sleep this afternoon as she's been up since 6 and is in a happy mood today.

Bubs- i hope you are feeling better soon, i felt like that when i had mastitis.

Boisey- i have trouble getting Charlotte to sleep at the start of the night, i try patting and rubbing her eyes to get her to sleep, sometimes i just have to put her into bed with me, but then after she has her feed about 2am she goes down fine, i just wrap her and she goes down. During the day she sleeps in her swing and sometimes she can sleep in their for 3 hours. Also i would love to meet up with you and cassie, Biazar also lives in melb too.

Muma- welcome, i love the name Lachlan

Fee- Dee said that she will be on when she has more energy. when we took the photo of the girls Madison didn't want to give Charlotte back, she loves giving her cuddles.

Mumof2beauties- welcome, sometimes i have thought about putting Charlotte on the bottle, as madison was alot more settled when she was bottle feed, but i really like bf so i am not going to.

Yesterday was a nightmare, Charlotte was so upset all afternoon, i ended up getting KFC for tea as i couldn't put her down otherwise she would cry. and she wanted to be feed very 1hr.:eek: But today she is better.

Fee - mothers group went great - got some advise about the craked nipple thing and it seems to be working.
    Zac still is really unsettled he hasnt been the same since coming back from the hospital 2 weeks ago. he wont sleep unless i laydown next to him if i move he wakes up. I try putting him in his cot but he crys until he is picked up. he also wants to be fed every 2 hours where it use to be 4. I feel like pulling my hair out. I booked in to QE2 in 2 weeks but looks like im coming down with something now.
    Zacs crying again for another feed so i will pm everyone tomorrow after the LC visit

mumof2beauties Guest

Morning all...here's hoping you got a decent rest last night. My little man had his first 4 hr stretch between feeds last night, which meant 3 hrs of uninterrrupted sleep for me...yay!!
    I have decided against bottle feeding Ky, after standing at target yesterday staring at bottles, teats, sterilizers etc. I am going to perservere with the BF, because I am told things do get better and times between feeds does increase. I must admit I do enjoy being the only one to feed and comfort him like that.
    Hope you and your bubbas are well

Fee Guest

Cooper has broken his record again for longest time between feeds overnight. He made it to 9 hours this time. I fed him at 5.00 pm and he woke at 2.00 am. It would be great if his last feed of the night was later than 5.00 pm oh well never mind. One day I guess he'll sleep through completely so I'll just wait until then. I did think about trying to wake him for a rollover feed around 9-10 pm but then decided nah.

Cooper is such a great night time sleeper. I've been very lucky with him so far. After his last feed (usually 5-6 pm) he goes down in his cot without a peep. So Mark and I have a nice time cooking dinner together and spending time together watching a bit of TV! I usually go to bed around 8.30 pm.

Cooper is being a very good boy today and sleeping well in his cot. Although sometimes he doesn't sleep very long. And I find that he often wakes too early for his feed. That is, it will only be 2 hours since his last feed and I'm positive he is not hungry. So he often has play time before his feed now not so much after.

Bubseykel I give up with trying without the nipple shield. It's too hard! I'm just going to keep using it. It's much better for the both of us. I was so impressed with how I was going though for those few feeds but by the time it came to the 5.30 am feed, I was so engorged Cooper could not attach. So yeah I give up!

kmh Hope Charlotte is settled for you today. Did she have a good night last night?

chantal25 Cooper used to feed every 4 hours too. But now it's more like every 3. Sometimes every 2. I've just come to terms that this is how it is for now. I know that some people's bubs have always feed every 2-3 hours. I guess I was so used to it being every 4!

mumof2beauties That's great to hear Ky slept longer than usual last night. Yay for Ky!!! And that's great you want to keep going with BF-ing. I hope it works out for you.

Hi Guys!
    Well things for us going along ok...not brilliant - not horrible!
    Cassie and Kel (thank you both again for taking the time to help me out)...I have tried what you both said in terms of bath, feed, sleep, dark room, soft music...etc... but everytime I put in back in his bassinet he screams...and I try an try to shhh shhh him and rub his belly and rock the cot...but when hes been screaming for over 5 mins I cant help but pick him up and comfort him...is that wrong???

Then he settles for a bit and I try again...it took me 3 hours to finally get him to sleep last night and by the end of it I was soooo emotionally upset it wasnt funny! And the same again this morning he woke at 6am I fed him and then it took me until 11am to finally get him to sleep in his bassinet...agrhhhh ...I guess what Im asking is should I pick him up when hes crying/ screaming or should I just persist with his screaming and keep trying to settle him in his bassinet... Sorry girls Im just very confused...

mumof2beauties Guest

Boisey - sounds like you are having the same problems as me!! I have just finished reading Sleeping like a baby, by Pinky McKay, and she was all for holding your baby, picking them up when they are upset etc etc...She reckons it makes them feel much more secure which in turn makes them more settled!!?? Thats the approach I am trying to take at the moment, so we'll see how we go. We tried the controlled crying thing with our first and it was so distressing for everyone (although she became a really good sleeper...but was also quite clingy during the days)who knows if that was the reason.
    Fee - Your little one sounds amazing. He seems to sleep so well...hope he stays that way for you .
    Gotta go and get girls from school
    take care all

Cyn - yes it is OK to pick them up if they are screaming. From all the research I've done on sleeping is put them down and if they scream for longer than 5 minutes pick them up and start your process over again. Give them a cuddle, settle them back down and start again. This is what I do with Danielle. Most of the time she has a little cry/whinge before she goes to sleep but if it goes longer than 5 minutes I pick her up and cuddle her for a while, settle her and put her back in her craddle.

Hayley - sounds like you know what you are talking about. You are a great Mum!!

Fee - Danielle is getting great night sleeps now too. She goes from about 8sih to 4-6 in the morning which works out to be 8-10 hours!! No wonder she doesn't want to sleep during the day. I have found that she gets really grumpy if she doesn't have a sleep so I let her fall asleep on me during the day and then put her down and she sleeps for about half an hour there. It's not much but it's better than nothing.

Kel - I hear you on the "Don't Put Me Down" cries. Danielle has them during the evenings when I'm trying to cook dinner or eat dinner. I don't blame you for getting KFC at all!!

My flu isn't getting any better yet. I'm going to put a sign on the front door on Saturday saying Family is Unwell - Please come back another time - so the MIL doesn't come over and disturb us. Ken and I look like death warmed up!! Danielle's feeling a bit out of whack I think as we haven't been out all week for a long period of time and just been at home. I miss my gym sessions this week. I also missed Mother's group today - bummer!!

Zac must be getting better. SIL managed to give him 70mls from a bottle. he then had a comfort drink from me and went to sleep for 4 hours! he even stayed asleep with his cousin screaming around him. he woke up for another feed, fed for an hour and was asleep again for another 4 hours. he didnt wake up when we drove home or took him up the stairs. he then slept for another 3 hours. Tonight we are going to try and put him back into his bed as he has been in bed with me since he has been sick.
    DH would like to wean zac onto a bottle but i am not sure. I am very sore and tierd and would like a break but i feel guilty as i can BF and feel like i should be doing this. We are going together to talk to an LC today so we will see what happens

I'm so happy!! Danielle had her longest night's sleep last night. I put her down just before 8 but when we went to bed she was sort of awake still, then I heard her stir at 5.40am but didn't go in and then she finally woke up properly just before 7am!! That's 11 hours in her bed!!! She's now had almost 200mls of bottle and now is sitting happily with me but I can see it's almost time for play. What do you girls do for play? I've run out of ideas and want some more. I don't want her to get bored of what we do.

Chantal - I know what you mean about feeling guilty. The bottle is more convenient when you go out but breast is best. I hope it all goes well at the LC today. I hope you are OK. I bet you need a break. Hugs to you.

My flu is a bit better today. At least I can be in a bright room without going dizzy and I don't feel light headed anymore. Have a great day everyone. If I'm up to it I might take Danielle down to the clinic nurse to talk to her about her cold and what else I can do to help her. She's a bit stuffed up still in her nose. And I want to see how much weight she has put on. She's so so so heavy!!

hi all
    we have some good nights latley, i have been putting Charlotte down in her bed awake about 8-9pm and she has been going to sleep for 6 hours then feeds 3-4 hourly after that, its been great, but tonight she is having trouble going to sleep.

Kel- you are so lucky to have Danielle sleep that long. How long is Danielle sleeping during the day? I got given some infomation on sleep and it says that they should be sleeping for about 15 hours over a 24 hour period.

Boisey- Have you tried calling a sleep centre, their is one in noble park called queen elizabeth centre and they have a program to help with trying to settle, i used them with Madison.

Fee- you are so lucky. I wish Charlotte was like that, she has been good over night, but today she has a bit of a cold, yucky nose and a caugh which she got from madison.

Has anyone tried dtd, we tried last night and it hurt, so we are going to wait a little while later.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast