Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Babies born July 2006 #2

Kel - Danielle used to be like that when we first brought her home. Maybe it's a sign for you that Charlotte's going to do the same. She's been sleeping quite well for a few weeks now but only at night. My mum believes once they get over the 10 pound mark they become better sleepers and almost sleep through the night. I think it's a bit of an old wives tale. She doesn't sleep too well during the day. She will only cat nat for about half an hour at a time. Today I went to the clinich and spoke to the nurse there and she said that it would be better for her to have a sleep in the morning and the arvo. I tried to get her to sleep in her cot at 11 but she was awake off and on until 12.30 when I got her up, changed her and fed her and after that she fell asleep in my arms at 1pm. I put her back in her cot and she stayed there until 3.30pm. We'll see how tomorrow goes and if it works or not. At least you can get a few good hours sleep in now too. The baby cold isn't fun either - take it from us - we've all had it!!

DTD - yep - we are doing it. We've been DTD since Danielle was 4 weeks old so for 5 weeks now. I'm sorry it hurt for you. Maybe it's just the scar tissue that's a bit tender still. Remember I only had a couple of stitches in total - I was very lucky especially seeing they renched Danielle from me. Sorry, it didn't hurt of me at all. Tell you guys the truth - I can't get enough of it lately - hehehe!! I'm so naughty!! I'm sure it will only get better Kel. Remember lots of lube for now!!

I feel a bit lost. Ken's gone out night 4WD with the boys, Danielle is alseep in bed for the night and there's no housework to be done that's why I'm on here to kill some time before Ken's comes home. I might go and watch a home video of something. Maybe my honeymoon. Have a great weekend everyone!!

Last edited by Bubseykel; September 8th, 2006 at 10:55 PM.

Shellbabe Guest

Hi All,

Things seem a bit better now in this neck of the woods - Charlotte still doesn't like to settle at night - she seems to like to stay awake from her late afternoon feed until midnightish - which would be fine if she then slept until 7-8 but she continues the 4 hrly feed pattern - even after feeding every 2hrs before midnight.
    So am very jealous of your little sleepers!
    Though today she has spent a fair bit of time awake - we went to the shops and she was awake almost the whole time - and didn't even demand a feed when it was due - so maybe she will sleep better tonight.

We went for our 6 weeks check up on thursday - Charlotte is now 5.6kg - I can't believe how big she is - she doesn't look it! She is 57cm too - up from 50cm at birth - she literally is growing before my eyes.

I am still shield free - but I feel like I have taken a few weeks backwards steps with the feeding, having to learn correct attachment over again - and my vasospasm has come back on the right. Hopefully it all settles down again in a week or so like it did last time.

Hayley - I think it is a good decision to decide against bottlefeeding from now - it is harder to go back to BFing I am sure! My attitude is each day I can continue to BF is one day closer to reclaiming my boobs! And of course one day more Charlotte has the benefit of my milk

Cyn - Definitely nothing wrong in picking him up if he is screaming. It says the same in the Sleep Sense book - pick them up, calm them down and then pop them back into bed. It also says to continue this until they go to sleep - apparently it can take a few hours at first, but after a while they learn to self settle.
    The last week or so for me - a quick 5 minute top up on the boob has worked too - though I know this is frowned upon - I have only had to do it twice.

Kel - way to go Danielle! 11hrs!! For me, play is still singing and talking to Charlotte - I occasionally pop her in her bassinette, and have just introduced a floor mat - I find it difficult just to pop her on the floor with toys at the moment, because she can't play with them yet! She also like tours of the house!!
    How did the nurse go? And is your flu better?

Fee - It is a shame that giving up the shield isn't working - but I don't blame you, it is easier to use. I gave up trying for a week - then tried again - all of a sudden she seemed to latch without it, it is still difficult sometimes though, as my nipples are still a little flat - and sore now too. But I can't go back, the shield is actually really awkward now!
    On another note - yah for Cooper's sleeping - what a little gem
    Charlotte seems to have a few times waking up and not being hungry now too - for example today she was awake the entire time at the shops and didn't cry hungry till we got home! (about an hour) I also find sometimes I feed her when she wakes and she isn't interested, yet she is half an hour later.

Chantal - good luck with the LC - I know how it feels to be sore and tired - I hope she can help.

Fee Guest

Not much happening here. Cooper is still being an angel at night – he just settles down with no problems. So even though he only went 5 hours between feeds last night (instead of 9.5 hours like the night before) I can't really complain. At least after the feed I can just put him in the cot and go back to bed. I'm only up for about 20 minutes each feed.

But during the day he's still funny. He can have good days and then bad days. Sometimes he doesn't mind his cot and other days I have to fight him to go down for a nap. I can see that he's tired but he just won't sleep!

He was grizzly before and I would go in and shush/pat him and leave. But he'd still cry. Then I tried picking him up and sitting in the chair for a bit shushing him. Still didn't work. So a little later I was at my wit's end and went in and picked him up and put him over my shoulder. I walked into our room and looked at him in the mirror and he was FAST ASLEEP! I couldn't believe it! Honestly he fell asleep in like 2 seconds! How bizarre!!! So I popped him into the cot and he stayed asleep – but not for long. Maybe 15 minutes. Then he was awake and grizzling again – but only little grizzles and he eventually fell asleep on his own. So yeah he's not being so good today.

He's quite hungry during the day lately – wanting to feed every 2-3 hours.

Boisey – Hope things continue to get better for you with Jensen. As for picking him up when he's crying … what I do with Cooper is I will pick him up if he sounds really distressed. If he is just crying out (grizzling) and then quiet and so on, then I won't go in. Eventually he'll go to sleep. This is during the day. He can be quite a grizzle guts during the day time!

mumof2beauties – I was disappointed last night – Cooper only went 5 hours between feeds! I was hoping he'd go up to 10 hours seeing the night before last he went 9.5 hours. I guess he was having an off night?!

Bubseykel – I hope your flu is getting better. How are you feeling today? And that's great about Danielle having such a long sleep. Hope she keeps that up for you!

chantal25 – How did your talk with the LC go? How come your DH wants you to wean Zac? Would he like to be more involved with the feeding?

kmh – I hardly want to talk about DTD. After my 6 week check up and being told that things are a bit tight downstairs, I am freaking stressed out!!! DH and I tried the other morning but it was hopeless. I thought I was in the mood but once things started my mood just went. But I thought we should keep trying. Anyway it just did not happen. It was hurting and DH was barely touching me! Sorry I don't want to give TMI!!! I'm so upset. I think it wasn't happening though because I already had in my head that it might hurt so I was tensing up. I just have a bad feeling that I'll have to go back and see my OB about having things fixed up down there.

Shellbabe – Wow Charlotte is a big girl! 5.6 kgs! Cooper was 5.1 kgs at his 6 week check up. He had put on 590 grams which was a fairly decent gain. Glad to hear you're still shield free – well done!

Hi girls

Have had a nice week with most days at home except for Monday at Mother group and yesterday I went to visit my friend in hospital with her new baby boy Ariyan who at 6pd8oz just looks so tiny next to my nearly 8 week old son. But seeing him definitely made me want another one, can I wait three years???

Bubseykel Play for Dylan and I is music, singing, a bit of dancing, I read books to him, I show him himself in the mirror, I have a play mat and baby gym which I use but I make the toys move as he is too little to do it himself, I show him his other toys and make them make noises, I tickle him, I make silly faces and noises at him, I just started peekaboo yesterday and he likes it a little bit, sometimes tummy time, I have also been pulling him up from a lying position to a sitting position and then lying again and just saying "yay" when I do it. It is hard though isn't to think of new things to do. I feel that Dylan will get bored too.

Fee Dylan has done that before as in being wide awake and girzzly and then falling asleep just like that it is very weird, must be very tired when that happens.

Shellbabe Good that you are shield free I am still using it, Dylan slides off and gets frustrated when I don't use one.

KMH Good that Charlotte is sleeping well for you.

Boisey How is Jensen's sleeping going? I am with KMH try a sleep centre lots of people use them, my frined recently went to Tweddle I think it is called with her second baby. There is help out there you may as well take advantage of it.

Dylan is still sleeping well at night going down around 6 and sleeps til 9 or 10 then feeds, then he sleeps til about 3 or 4am and only once in the last few weeks have aI had to help him resettle about 1am this was Wednesday night, then I feed him at about 3 or 4 and then he sleeps til about 7.30 or 8am and then this morning I took him into our bed after that feed and we all slept til 11am yay a sleep in.

That is all for now. Hope everyone has restful night.

Default Getting easier and harder!!

Hi there,

Sarina's now 9 weeks old and like some of your little ones, is finding life a little easier.

SLEEP: We have adopted a bedtime routine of:
    - 6pm starting routine of bath ( sometimes) or massage, feed, story then
    - 7pm-ish into bed (depending on her yawning).
    - 10.30pm 'dream feed' (I feed her in her sleep - just pick her up & pop her on!)
    - 4.30am - ish feed (although it's getting later)
    - 7am start the day

We still hold her till she's sleepy but in the last couple of days, i've been able to put her down whilst semi-awake and let her fall asleep without too much hassle.

I keep my hand on her chest whilst she's lying down which I think she finds comforting and say 'shhh' and for every nap today it's worked to send her off to sleep- YAY!! She still winges before her evening sleep but I think it's more a 'letting off steam' cry as she falls asleep between 7pm-7.30pm ish into a proper night sleep.

She's been waking up around 4.30am although a couple of nights ago she went through till 6.30am!

STIMULATION: Our Maternal nurse told us babies should do tummy time at least 3 times a day so we try to - and Sarina does it with no nappy on too. If i give her something to push off against e.g. my hand, she'll push her way across the room!! Best buy - a $2 mirror from the $2 shop in Vic Gardens - she loves it!

IMMUNISATION: Sarina had her 2 month jabs yesterday and she was wonderful - she only cried for about 30 secs. I cried for about 5 mins though - hated seeing her being a pin cushion. We spent the day cuddled up on the sofa as she was very sleepy and wouldn't let me put her down (not that I mind!).

BABY SIGNALS: The feeding and sleeping signals have changed and instead of getting easier, i'm finding her sometimes harder to read. Like, she used to root around for food when hungry, now she'll just yell out straight away with no warning! If I don't react to the first couple of yawns and put her down, she'll cry much more quickly than about 2 weeks ago. Has anyone else found baby signals changing?

DRESSING AND WEATHER: I never know how much to dress her.
    She overheated whilst we were driving to Queen Vic market last week....didn't hear a peep from her until 5 mins before I got there. Was stuck in traffic and all of a sudden she started screaming hysterically. I couldn't check her as there was nowhere at all to pull over - when I did, she was completely drenched in sweat and I realised she was too hot (it was that 24 deg day last week)and I had overdressed her. She fell asleep once out of the car and into the pram but I was so stressed for the next 2 hrs with the sound of her screams still in my ear.

FEEDING: How long should I let her go during the day between feeds? For the last 4 days sometimes she'll go for up to 4 hrs without feeding but then will suddenly scream for food- no warning. Was wondering if I should instigate the feeding earlier or just wait for her? What works for you?

Hi all, went to the LC yesterday Zac is attaching allright an d feeding well. SO LC thinks i may have Thrush in my breasts. I have started to treat it but I dont know how much longer i will be able to BF as the cracks are getting worse and are now painful to feed.
    Fee - I think he thinks its easier to bottle feed. Zac has started to take a bottle again but its still hard as he tries to push it away and DH thinks it means his full.
    We also had him weighed and mesured. he has gained another 300grams and grown 1cm. if he keeps this up in 2 weeks he will have doubled his birth weight. no wonder he is getting so heavy.
    Zac is sleeping 3 to 4 hours again but between 5 and 9pm he was a nightmare just screamed and screamed. I think he had pains in his belly because when i was patting his back or moving his legs he would stop. He is also still in bed with up as he is just refusing to go back into his cot. i even try to move him when his asleep but he wakes up staright away. its a pain but i only have to put up with it for a nother week. hopefuly QE2 will help sort that out

Hi all! I just got done scanning the messages and just getting an update from every one. Sounds like over all every one and the little ones are doing fine.

Corban is doing good and has reawakend the need/desire in DW for another baby (shocks me a bit...lol). Friday was a rather rough day for the little guy though as he had to get some shots. He screamed bloody murder for about a minute then was calm. He was at ease and calm all night. But Saterday morning woke up with the fever and possible even a return of a cold he had about a week ago.

He has been growing well and loves his mommy's milk! lol!

Well I think I will get ready to sign off for another couple months...lol, ok I will try to keep an eye on the thread with a little better consitancy.

Madison and I have infections of some sort. we are both on antibotics, hopefully it will pass soon, and Charlotte is still caughing. The last few night she has been restless, i think it's because of her nose. Hopefully that will clear soon, and she will sleep better.

Cassie- you do so much for Dylan for play time, charlotte likes laying on the floor on her rug and likes watching Madison. Its amazing how fast they grow, my mums still thinks Charlotte looks like a new born as she still fits into her 0000 clothes.

RoyaUK- sounds like you are doing all the right things, I think that is fine with feeding her when she wants it, i do that with Charlotte and sometimes she will go 4hrs, but then most of the time she ill go 2hrs.

Fee- i hope things work out for you, we havn\t tried again as i am sick, but sometimes even when i go to the toliet the muscels hurt (tmi)

I hope everyone had a good weekend, Charlotte has put her self to sleep tonight

Fee Guest

Cooper will be having his 8 week needles this afternoon. I'm not looking forward to it! But DH is coming along.

Cooper is now starting to coo and goo a lot - it's so adorable.

Cassie – You're already clucky?!?! But your plan is to wait 3 years? Good luck!

RoyaUK – In hospital I was told not to let Cooper go longer than 4 hours between feeds during the day. So sometimes I would have to wake him for a feed. But this is no longer the case – for the past few weeks he wants to feed every 3 hours during the day. And I just feed him when I can tell he is hungry. I just wait for his signs.

I understand your frustration at not knowing how to dress your bub. I have the same problems. The weather has been unusually warm up here but the mornings are still cool. I just dress in layers and peel them off as the day heats up. I think you should dress Sarina in a way you are dressed.

chantal25 – Sorry to hear about your cracked nipples. Can you use a nipple shield for a day or two to help them heal?

Dustmite – Nice to hear from you. Glad that Corban is doing so well!

kmh – Sorry to hear you and Madison are sick. I hope you get better soon.

hi
    i had to Charlotte to hospital this morning, she woke at 4am for a fed, but developed a chesty caugh, and i rang the nurse on call, to see what they would say, and they said that she needed to be seen by a doctor, she has a viral infection, i am taking her back to the doctors this afternoon to see what they say, as we can not give her anything to take, she has been so sleepy today, she has been having feeds and then going back to sleep, i hope she gets better soon, it is horrable to see her like this.

Fee- cooper will be fine with his neddles, i hate getting them done.

Shell – sounds like Charlotte is grown beautifully!! Yay for no shields!! The nurse went well. Danielle is now 5.2kilos. I spoke to her about Danielle not sleeping during they day. She wants me to make a bigger effort and try and get her to have a morning and an afternoon sleep for at least an hour. So far it hasn’t been too bad and I’m getting a big afternoon sleep out of her but the mornings are just for half an hour. My flu is getting better. Can breathe again so I decided to hit the gym again today. Ken’s almost better too.

Fee – Danielle has those days sleeping. She’s having a difficult one today. She’s waking, grizzling and falling back asleep so I’ve left her there for now as her feeds not for another 2 hours. She always feeds 3 hourly during the day. I’m heaps better today. Make sure you have the Children’s Panadol handy incase Cooper gets a fever with the needles. Danielle did. I’m sorry DTD hasn’t worked for you yet. Give it time.

Cassie – I’ve decided to read to Danielle too. On Friday the nurse is in the library so I got some books out for her. I was a terrible out loud reader and still am to a certain extent so hopefully reading to her will make sure she won’t have the same problem as me. Thanks for all the ideas too!!

Roya – your routine sounds similar to mine.
    *5pm ish – Bath
    *6pm ish – Feed
    *6pm-7pm ish – Daddy play time
    *7.30pm ish – Feed
    *8pm ish – Bed
    *6.30am-7am – start the day.

Danielle won’t go down any earlier but I can’t complain otherwise I’d be getting up way too early! I find dressing them is hard at the moment too. One minute it’s a beautiful day then it goes stinking hot and then freezing cold!! I dressed her too warm on Saturday. Inside was freezing cold so I put her fluffy jacket on to find as soon as I walked outside it was so muggy and warm I had to take it off. I was told at the hospital to dress them the same as you plus one layer but I agree with Fee – dress them how you are dressed.

Kel – you poor things!! Are you guys OK? Sending hugs to you and Madison. Danielle has that terrible cough and yucky nose. She OK now but it did take over 2 weeks to go away. Yay for putting herself to sleep!! I hope it continues for you. OMG – I just read your other post – Please let us know how you go with Charlotte at the doctors. I hope she’s OK. It’s very distressing seeing them like that. I had tears in my eyes for ages with Danielle until the doctor told me she was OK and it was just a cold.

Hiya Dustmite – good to hear everything is well.

Not a whole lot to report here. Danielle’s still sleeping though the night and the day sleeps are getting better. I’m heaps better now too and went back to the gym today after having a week and a half off with Danielle’s cold and my flu. Went back to softball training yesterday. I run like a fat overweight lady!! Oh and I’ve lost 1 more kilo – yay – that’s 2 now – just another 14 to go!!

How's everyone's furbabies going with your bubs'? Nunzio just adores Danielle now. When he comes inside he checks up on her to see what she's doing and if she's OK. Danielle has a big bath now as she won't fit in the laundry troff anymore and he comes in the bathroom and sits next to me and watches her in the bath and tries to drink the water and get in with her. He's being so good with her - I'm so happy.

Has anyone heard from Em? I’m getting worried about her. I might send her a message to see how she is. I’m off to do some housework while Danielle is asleep. Have a great day.

Fee Guest

Cooper had his 8 week needles at the GP yesterday afternoon. It was quite traumatic. DH held him down. I have never heard Cooper scream so loudly. I had tears!!! Poor little munchkin. He was fine when we left the GP though and has been okay since.

We also had him weighed etc. He has put on 700 grams in 2 weeks!!! That's his record so far! He is now 5.8 kgs. The GP said his weight is in the 90th percentile.

But his length came in at 57 cm which is what he was at 4 weeks. Then at 6 weeks he was apparently 56.1 cm. There has been a mistake somewhere along the line! Mark and I measured him at home tonight and we think he is at least 60 cm.

Bubseykel - Sounds like you have a great routine with Danielle. I hadn't thought of doing much play time with Cooper late at night. He usually has his last feed around 5-6 pm. DH gives him a bath halfway through the feed (ie after he's fed on one side). I offer the other side after the bath. Then he goes straight to bed and goes about 8 hours between feeds which only takes him up to about 1-2 am. I don't know whether to try and change Cooper's routine so he is going to bed later. Or just wait it out - because I guess eventually one day he'll sleep right through (ie 12 hours between feeds). So then that's okay that he's going to sleep so early... Hmmm, not sure!

kmh - How's Charlotte? Oh the poor little thing.

KMH- Ohhh honey...that must have given you such a big fright! I cant even imagin what that would be like..I hope little Charlotte gets better very soon...

Fee- Im going to take Jensen for his shots next week...and Im so worried about it...would you recommed that I take Rob with me? Because by the sounds of what you and everyone has been through...it sounds very traumatic! Glad to hear that Cooper is doing so well!!! And ahhh we havent DTD yet...so your a step ahead of us...just give it time...KY and lots of wine...lol!!

Kel- Hi darlin...did you get your test results back yet? I hope its all ok! Glad to hear that Danielle is getting over her flu and you too for that matter!
    Our fur baby..Mack has been amazing! I was very worried to start with..as hes sooooooo big (62kg)!!! Buts hes been very gentle and loving towards Jensen- MAcks head is bigger than all of Jensen's body!! I havent heard from Em either and I was starting to wonder where she is- hope shes alright...

Well as for us things are getting a bit better...we got 5 hours straight last night..prasie the lord! lol!!! But Im still finding that I have to put him into bed very, very sleepy otherwise he will SQUAWK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like he is now...bugger ! Will write more later!

Fee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Boisey
    Fee- Im going to take Jensen for his shots next week...and Im so worried about it...would you recommed that I take Rob with me?
    Yes take him with you! My SIL recommended that Mark come with me. I'm so glad I took him. He held Cooper while the needles were put in. Tears just welled up in my eyes when he was screaming. Even 20 minutes later I was still upset and just got all teary thinking about it! Oh my poor bubba!!!

Fee - I think they stuffed up Danielle's length too at some stage either at birth or she had only grown 2cm in 6 weeks. Good to hear he was OK with his needles. Sorry to sound like a dork but what's 90th percentile mean. I've heard it twice in a couple of days and I have no idea what it means! We only play with Danielle that late because she won't sleep any earlier and Ken doesn't usually get home until 6ish so it gives him time to see her as he only sees her for about 2 minutes every morning. I call it Daddy Daughter Time.

Cyn - I didn't have Ken with me when Danielle had her needles done and it's not as bad as you think. Yes I did have a tear in my eye for her first needle but the second I didn't. I just sat with her in the waiting room afterwards for a while to see how we was and went after that. If you are a really big sook take Rob with you but I think you'll be just fine. I got my test results back - it was just my stitches infected. She was thinking it was an STD. I tell you if it was Ken would be out on his ass!! Everything is OK down there now. Flu is still there but not keeping me down anymore like last week.

I got a message from Em this morning. She said she's fine. Her computer has packed up and is taking forever to fix. She did say that Charlie has decided that he doesn't need any sleep and is always awake but she's copeing fine.

Went to the gym again this morning - aqua aerobics. It was so fun!! I met this other lady there who's got 2 kids - 2 1/2 and 7 months - we had a really good chat. Cheryl from my Mother's Group called me to see if I was still alive as I didn't make it to last week's class as I had the flu. Apparently we need to write down everything we eat for 3 days. She doesn't know why but we need to do it - strange!! Finally got the courage to go back and be waxed again. I swear it hurts more than childbirth!! But I tell you I'm a bit like Cassie - I can't wait to have another little one - I wonder if I can hold out 2 years like we have planned before trying. But I did see my friend have 2 in 18 months and she has so much trouble it's not funny. We'll see.

I better go - her magisty is hungry again.

Time for another new thread ladies!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678