Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born July 2006 #6

Default Babies Born July 2006 #6

This thread is for parents who's baby was born in July 2006.

Your moderators for this forum are as follows-
    Christy - [email protected] ~ Senior Moderator
    Lea13 - [email protected]
    Sherie - [email protected]
    Astrolady - [email protected] ~ Administrator

There are many issues that you will encounter as a new parent. We have put together this list of useful articles and threads in order to assist you with some common questions or issues you may have, and to provide you with bit of extra support that we all need as new parents:

Feeding Support:

Breastfeeding General Chatter
    Breastfeeding FAQ's
    Is My Baby Hungry?
    Bottlefeeding FAQ's and Useful Information
    Bottlefeeding General Chatter
    Feeding Your Baby
    Lactose Intolerance
    Starting Solids/Homemade Baby Food
    Starting Solids - When Is My Baby Ready?
    Starting Solids General Chatter

Please contact the Australian Breastfeeding Association (ABA) or a Lactation Consultant if you are concerned that you may have breastfeeding and/or supply problems, and before the introduction of solids.

Sleeping Support:

Comforted Sleeping & Sleep Issues Forum
    Comforting Tools to Aid Restful Sleep
    Babies & Sleep
    Controlled Crying/Comforting/Sleep Training
    The Crying Game
    15 Ways To Help Your Baby Sleep

Other Useful Information & Recommended Reading:

Baby Massage
    Cuddle Me Mum
    Infant-led Feeding & Weaning
    Baby Wearing
    Recommended Reading List

Got questions?

Post your questions in the forums mentioned above, or in the following forums where you're sure to receive many friendly responses!

General Baby & Toddler Forum
    Breastfeeding, Bottlefeeding and Solids
    Gentle Parenting Forum

Your old thread can be found here

Fee Guest

Cooper's day sleeps seem to be improving. Not as much fussing and crying. I have been trying some new things though. I sit and cuddle with him first and sing a quiet song. Then I turn on his CD player and also the Aquarium before I put him in the cot. Then I lower him into the cot, tummy first, pausing at the Aquarium on the way down so he can get a good look at it!

Well I'm very excited to say that I've been doing feeds without the nipple shield and I think we both may have the hang of it! Fingers crossed! I still use the shield for the very first feed but otherwise I've given it up!

Also I'm very proud of the fact that I have exclusively breastfed Cooper for 6 months. Yay!

Mads – I can't believe you caved with the solids – hehehe! Glad to hear Freya loves it. And yay for the tooth! How exciting.

CC – Cooper's first food is going to be Farex mixed with breastmilk. After that I think I will try pumpkin.

Wow it sounds like Ally eats a lot!!! Hopefully she'll get her weight back up. Do you know why she dropped down to the 20th percentile so suddenly?

Dustmite – So funny about Corban peeing on you! Thankfully I've only experienced that a couple of times.

Hi everyone

Well Dylan tried sweet potato this morning and I thought it was going to be a disaster because as I put the first spoonful in he screwed up his face and had a little shiver as though it was horrible and then started to cry but then he shocked me by opening up his mouth for more, what a little trooper, Dylan is just loving his food so much. I am wondering when to introduce dinner? I think I need to get more organised first though. I tell you what the sweet potato has been the hardest to puree as there is barely any water in it, not like pumpkin and pear and apple. Also his poos have completely changed to big people poos except smaller and they don't even stick to the nappy they just roll right off it is really weird! It hurt him at first and he a very red little bottom but now he has the hang of it and just pushes them out like an old pro!

Dylan had his first swim in a big pool the other day at mothers group as one of the girls has a brand new inground pool so we all took our bubs in and a few cried, Dylan cried at first as I had him in one of those floaty ring things so I took him out of that and then took him in gradually just in my arms and he was loving it smacking the water with his hands and kicking and then as I was talking to one of the other mothers he started to fall asleep what a funny little fella I have.

Cee Cee Welcome to our little group everyone is ace and supportive and I think you made the right decision coming over as it sounds like Ally is up to where our bubs are. Dylan is rolling quite a bit and can sit for a few minutes unaided and doing a semi wriggle commando crawl thing. I am a bit confused over foods to serve for lunch too but what I have been doing is when I start a new food i.e. today it was sweet potato he has that for brekky by itself after a boobie feed and then for lunch I have been giving him whatever was last i.e. the last thing I tried with him was pears and he has that mixed with rice cereal so today as he has had apple and pear for lunch he is having apple and pear mixed with rice cereal. Some mums mix savoury and sweet things together but I cannot get my head around that. But although my system is working for now that is because I have only introduced 5 foods so it is going to get a lot more complicated. Though as one of the mum's stated in my mothers group
    We make it (the solids thing) a lot more complicated that really is!
    So who knows. I might do some more reading of websites and my brochures that my MCHN gave me and see what I come up with. Good luck. Unfortunately I can't give Dylan banana or avocado as I cannot eat them.

Fee It was Dylan's 6 month 'birthday' yesterday too. Cooper is soooo cute! I love all the sleeping pics you get of him I am not game to take photos of Dylan sleeping I am too scared that I will wake him. Yay for almost losing the nipple shield, we have almost given it away too as I just chop and change during a feed and he doesn't seem too worried about whether he has it or not, it is like he has weaned himself off it. He does however like to pull it off and chew it making sure he gets all the drips of milk. Does Cooper do that too? Wow for his teeth too I felt in Dylans mouth before but no teeth yet. Good luck on Saturday with the solids I bet he will love it. I managed to get Dylan on digital camera and video camera having his first meal.

KMH Hope you start to feel better soon, there is nothing worse than feeling sick especially in this Melbourne heat I feel for girls who are pregnant now like two of my best friends, eeek!

Anyway sorry to anyone I missed, we are off to Sorrento tomorrow again this time one of my pregnant girlfriends is down and she is going to have a few lessons from Dylan and I on nappy changing, breastfeeding, dressing, bottle feeding and that sort of thing as she is a bit worried about being a good mum and thinks this will help. We are also going to go to the beach and let Dylan go in the sea.

Have a good weekend. Byeee!

Cassie- have a great weekend, Charlotte has put her feet into the ocean when we were up in QLD, my dad got that on video, hope your friend learns from you, when i first had Charlotte my SIL went to change Charlottes nappy and she thought she was going to be sick, and now she is pregnant.

Fee good luck tomorrow, Charlotte is not that keen on solids she can take it or leave it, Last night i tried to give her some pumpkin and she ate 1/2 and ice block worth, not much. I will try her on some sweet paotote in a few days.

Charlotte woke up twice last night for a feed, but now i think she is doing it out of habbit, just to help her go back to sleep, so i don't know what i am going to do about that.

Cee_Cee99 Guest

Mads: I get all my shopping delivered from Greeengrocer.com.au they are great. It takes about 2 hours to set up your shopping list, but once you have it, you can just copy it each week and then add or delete a few things, so it only takes a few minutes.

Fee: I use a CD to help put Ally to sleep too - however it is NOT working right now... I'm not sure why Ally's weight dropped, however my Dr. said that newborn babies do not always reflect what they will be when they grow up. Ally was probably so heavy to begin with as I drank a litre of milk each day..he hee - good luck with no nipple sheild, my sister had to use one too, (her son is also Cooper) it took her about 6 months to feed without it too. But for number two she found she did not need it - so hopefully the same will happen for you. (maybe too early to think about that yet???)

hi Cassie
    It hurt him at first and he a very red little bottom but now he has the hang of it and just pushes them out like an old pro!
    .. OMG, that is the exact same as Ally...I've been wondering if it was the same for everyone?? I just pick it out of the nappy with a tissue and put it in the loo... Apprently poo in disposable nappies is really bad for landfill... Thanks for your welcome... I'm glad our first converstation together is about poo! Have a nice w/e away, apparently the ocean water temp. is getting warmer as it has been FREEZING... I took Ally to the beach on the Gold Coast as it was too cold for her (and me).

KMH: I hear you on the night feeding..Ally woke at 11.30, 2.30, 4.45 for feeds then was up at 6am... I think she too is just waking up out of habbit, but not sure I want to stop as I want her weight to increase a bit - I would like to cut out at least one though... My GF from Mothers Group is going to 'train' her baby to stop waking at night by putting ear plugs in and not attending to her... I wish I could do that, but it is just not me... This is number two for her though, so maybe when you know that it is for their own benefit and you have done it successfully before it helps???

RE: Baby food ideas? A GF recommended a book called "SuperFood" so I'm going to buy it on the weekend, I will let you know if it is any good.. Oh and for getting organised with little containers, she recommend these clear plastic tubs that have a re-usable lable on the front, apparently $9 for three tubs at Coles.

Hiya girls,

Just a real quick one from me today. Started back at work on Tuesday for 2 days a week at my dad's work and it has seemed to help with PND or the drugs have kicked in. Today I don't feel as bad so hopefully it's a good thing. Going back to the doctor tomorrow for my results of my u/s and blood tests. For some reason they checked my kindeys and kept taking pics of my right one. Hopefully it's nothing but we will see. I'm a bit scared though.

Fee - I'm on a light dose of non addictive medication and seeing the doctor just to talk about things. I'm not 100% sure what happens from here. I guess I'll know more tomorrow.

Must be off - working from home today as the other lady I work with is such a slacker and doesn't do things right so I'm fixing them. Love working from home.

Cee_Cee99 Guest

Hello Kelly, sorry to hear you have PND - but sounds like you are managing it well. There was a girl in the June group who had terrible PND with bub No. 1 and she was so sacred she would get it with No. 2, but she didn't. She feels great, and this time round she was able to BF as well...So I saw you are thinking about No. 2, and wanted to pass on her postive experience.

Hello I got Charlotte weighed today and she was just over 6.6 kg's and is 64 cms long. She is so different to Madison, its nice having a small baby.

Kel- good to hear things are inproving, i was starting to worry because we hadn't herd from you in such a long time, I was searching through my mobile to look for your number but it has gone.

hey girls
    thought ill drop in and say hi and also when i try a sit bailee up on his own he seem to put this funny face like it hurts him to sit up im an sure about this is any of your babies doing or done this
    also if any girls are wanting personalised candles started my business on ebay my store name contact me.
    talk to ya all soon
    Last edited by christy; January 18th, 2007 at 09:50 PM.

Cee - I'm not 100% sure I want another one now. Danielle is such a handful now she's moving around - I think I had it too easy when she was born - slept thru when she was 6 weeks old and always content and able to be by herself. Now she's moving around the house and wants all of my attention all the time it's driving me bonkers!! Just having the 2 days of work seemed to make me sane again. We'll discuss having another one soon.

Kel - thanks for your concern. I'm OK - just taking it day by day. I wish I had a small baby - Danielle is killing me!!

Kylie - sorry Danielle doesn't pull those faces. When she sits up all she wants to do is bend over and play and eat her toes. How's your weight loss going? Still going strong?

6 1/2 hours until my appointment - Oh I wish it could come quicker!!

Kel- i hope things get better for you really soon, my thoughts are with you. How is Danielle? Is Ken helping out much?

Cee_Cee99 Guest

kmh: 6.6 kg... yeah, I think that is in the 50%.. Ally is only 6.1 and that is like the 15%.

Kelly - good luck today I hope things get a bit more sorted for you... RE: TTC NO. 2, well, we have HEAPS of time to think about it, things change so much from month to month, soon they will be sleeping through and cutting out day sleeps and well, I'm sure it is going to continue to be hard, but a different kind of hard... And just because you may not feel like you can manage it now, does not mean you will not be able to mange it in a month or two... hang in there - hugs!

Mads: LOL your blender story... mine broke just before Xmas and my Mum gave me her Bamix - which is AMAZING... you tottally need one. I think you can buy cheaper versions, and there is almost no washing up...

re: waking every few hours, Ally used to do this at night and I called Tresillian and a really nice lady came to my house and we talked about a few things I was doing wrong and Ally really changed, now she only wakes 2-3 times (which I know is a lot still, but before it was every 2 hours)... they are SUPER nice, I highly recommend them... You need to get a referal from the Early Childhood Center and it can take like 3 weeks for someone to come to your house, anyway, mabye you can call them and see if you can get an appointment, you can always cancel if things improve before then?

re: constipated... was Freya always a little blocked? Ally was doing like 5 poos a day, then at 5 months suddenly stoped, and for two weeks would only go every 3 or 4th day - and they were MASSIVE and MESSY!!!! Then we started solids and now she does the propper adult poos (only a LOT smaller) 2 or 3 a day. So when she starts solids things may change for the better?

Shopping: I think Wollies on line has a Organic Box - as the other girls in my mothers group get an organic box from them and the vegies are from the same company..

OK... I should stop typing, you girls will think I'm a total chatter box! When in fact I'm just delaying housework - he hee.. hope you all have a nice weekend.
    luv
    CC

Fee Guest

I'm still feeding Cooper without the nipple shield – even the very first morning feed! I think we've both got the hang of it now. Wooohoooo! I'm so glad to be rid of it. Can't believe it's taken this long. I tried quite a few times to get rid of it and it never worked out. For some reason it's going well now!

Also I'm going to (finally) stop writing down Cooper's feeds. Can you believe I've been doing it so long?! Yes, I'm a freak! I thought now that he's 6 months and about to start solids, I would stop. Liberating!

I'm almost a bit sad to start solids. Cooper has only fed from my breasts for his entire life - no EBM, no formula or anything like that. He's growing up so fast.

Cooper's needles went well at 2.30 pm. He cried a bit at the doctor as he was measuring him – before the needles even happened! :doctor:

Cooper now weighs 8.3 kgs (75th percentile) and is 69 cm long (75th percentile). The doctor measured him as 66 cm which is 1 cm shorter than Cooper's 5 month check at the clinic! It has to be wrong. So I measured him at home just now. If he really was 66 cm then that means he has gone from the 75th percentile to about the 30th percentile. That doesn't sound right! His head is 44 cm (keeping him in the 50-60th percentile).

Cassie – How cute about Dylan in the pool! Cooper had his first swim in the big pool on Christmas Day and he cried. I think the water was too cold. So cute about Dylan smacking the water with his hands!

As for the nipple shield – no, Cooper has never pulled it off and chewed it! Hehehe that sounds so funny!

Have fun in Sorrento!

kmh – We are still to take Cooper to the ocean to dip his feet in. He did go on the beach in his pram when he was 11 weeks old but he was asleep! I bet the video of Charlotte at the beach is so cute.

CC – I am not sure about TTC #2. I'm quite happy with Cooper. And after going through labour without an epidural which I wanted … hmmm I don't know! Maybe if I can be guaranteed an epidural then I will consider #2!!! Also the issues with my tears and episiotomy, things being too tight, no DTD yet, blah blah… I'm scarred for life!!! But I really can't imagine only having 1 child. When I think about Cooper being grown up … I'd like a bigger family. But if we do have #2 there will be at least a 3 year gap.

Bubseykel – I hope everything went well getting your test results. I have my fingers crossed for you.

Baiza – I often sit Cooper up. He can sit for a while resting on his hands. If I move his hands away and try him just sitting up straight he only lasts 10 seconds or so. He doesn't pull any funny faces though!

Mads – LMAO at your blender incident! Hehehe. Sorry to laugh at your expense! I hope it wasn't too painful to clean up.

CC- wow Ally is little, Charlotte is in the 25th percentile for weight and head but for her height she is the 50th percentile.

Fee- you just reminded me that Charlotte was suppost to have her neddles today, i forgot about them, oh well will have to ring on monday and re-book them in.

Mads- lol at the milk every where, a few weeks ago i had baby beets all over the kitchen, that was fun to clean up. I am going to book both of my girls into swimming lessons in the next week, i think most pools will do a sat session, Tim has one day off during the week and one on the weekend so i will take them both when he can take Madison in and I will take Charlotte.

Well i have jsut been able to sit down and eat my dinner, both girls are in bed, but Charlotte thought she would wake up after 30 mins, so i got her up feed her and put her back down, but of course she didn't want to go to sleep so i had to rock her to sleep. But she is alseep now.

Fee Guest

Well yesterday morning we tried solids – Farex Baby Rice. Cooper pulled a thousand funny faces and didn't seem to enjoy it at all! I will try again today and see what happens. Otherwise I might try pumpkin soon.

Here are some funny faces:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h2/Fee78/DSCN5590.jpg
    http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h2/Fee78/DSCN5591.jpg
    http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h2/Fee78/DSCN5592.jpg

Question: For those who have started solids (I think that's everyone now?!) ... did your baby take to it straight away? I don't know whether Cooper was confused by something going in his mouth other than BM via my breasts, whether he hated the taste of Farex OR whether he's not ready yet... How do you tell?!

Fee- i love the last photo, Charlotte is the same, she dosen't really like anything that i give her expect boobies. I am going to try some sweet potatoe maybe today or tomorrow and see how she goes with that, if she dosen't want it i am not going to push it and i will try again in a week.
    See how Cooper goes, but i wouldn't push it just try again in a week or so.

Fee Guest

He was a bit better today. Still made some faces but sort of ate most of it. I also tried him with some water in a cup and he seemed to think that was fun!

I tired Charlotte with some sweet patotoe today and she seemed to like it, will have to wait and see tomorrow.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast