Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born June 2006 #24

Jess - hoping you stay safe...

Mel - pity bout the heat, sounds like it was a good day otherwise!!

Cooked the steak, sooo yummy... Red wine, garlic, chives and parsley, marinade for at least 30 mins and cook!! It was amazing... Next time i will make it with jacket potatoes and veges, made it with alfredo and chips from milk bar tonight, it was hot enough in the kitchen as it was...

Dh has gone out to take pics of the sunset, as the smoke will make it look so different...

IM SO HOT!!! i dont have any fans or anything... must buy some next payday.

Good evening girls Y'know what, I'm finding the heat so much easier to deal with than when I was pregnant. We've only got a pedastle fan so it's still hot in the house but when I was preggers the same heat made me feel nauseous. Spent half the day up at Greensborough Plaza having a bit of "me time". Just wandered around... have already done the bulk of the chrissy shopping so the pressure was off. Hey Rory: last meetup you said you needed to buy a pair of navy 3/4 pants... well Target has good ones at 40% off! I actually bought a pair... the fabric has a bit of stretch in it too so they are very comfy. They have two designs, elasticized and plain waisted... I'd go for the plain.
    Mel: The drier gets dragged out into the dining room area near the kitchen where there are floorboards... the moisture would be bad for carpet but it also helps to clean the floorboards (dry mop) when the drier is finished. And oh I hate to be rushed when cooking, hope the slice turned out ok! Sounds Yum!... having children creating chaos around me is bad enough... I've taken to cooking at odd hours... if it's a hot Christmas I'll be cooking the turkey overnight and serving it cold with a cold roast vegie salad i think... and cold plum pudding (which is maturing in the back of the 'fridge still in it's calico)... with cold brandy custard... we do it very traditional 'round here... would be nice if it's under 25'C on the day so it could all be hot though... you can't really do cold Yorkshire puddings which i like to do too. Jess: good to hear you and the kids are safe, not good about the headache, do you think it's from the smoke? I think I must be getting used to the smell of smoke becasue i didn't seem to notice that as much.

Ok... gotta go... promised the kids a milkshake and they have been nagging for it all through me typing this... now Wade is starting to get ingredients for it out of the fridge...

Ooooh bath, a milkshake sounds great... I've been making the kids "flashy" milkshakes... i bought a baccarat milk frother the other day, and just put nesquick and milk together, with the frother i go thru less milk!!

Anneliese is rollin heaps now, everytime i got to get her up frm a nap or something, she's on her tummy and screaming as she hates it... she's laying next to me atm, pushing her feet trying to crawl... but even thought she hates her tummy, she wont roll back!!

Just check BOM, a fire weather warning has been issued for central, including all of melbourne... things are meant to be much worse tomorrow, i've spent a long time today checking so many websites today about the fires, conditions are going to be worse tomorrow than today. 37, not looking forward to it...

Anyway, ill catch you all tomorrow!! Sleep tight

Nighty nite Simone... yeah, those frothers are great... is it a little hand held one you can froth in a cup? If so I have one too and use it to mix my In-Liven with apple juice... you'll know why when you receive yours... much better than stirring it in. Oh and I found a retailer who stocks it at Greensborough Plaza for $6 cheaper than online, so that's good, not too many health stores have it. I didn't take any today... but had some fast tract, gave DH some too... and I also massaged some MooGoo Infant scalp cream into DH's scalp for his very mild return of psoriasis.

Ok, off to read my Steven King... it's a weird story (Lisey's Story)... I'm not sure the average punter would like it because it's challenging in a kinda stream-of-consciousness kinda way. Has anybody read his Dark Tower series?

Okey doke... off to have a shower with my "munch" who, like Oscar, is growing waaaay too fast for my liking!

Jess - glad to hear you are out of harms way at the moment. DH rang and said he was sent to Corryong (sp?) about 2 hours away from Wangaratta. Hope the winds stay away. Had a crappy headache from late this afternoon, think dehydration, I don't drink enough water - naughty me!

Bath - slice was delicious! Your xmas dinner sounds delicious too. I love traditional lunches/dinners and I hope its a nice sunny but mild day. Went to Target on Friday and they had some really good bargains. I got myself some tshirts (the crinkle ones you just twist to dry) for $11 each, so bought 3!

Simone - you guys must be so hot inside! I have air-con so its lovely and cool, but you must be feeling the heat. Dinner sounded nice and easy and yum too! Great news about Anneliese rolling, even is she doesn't like it LOL!

My brother/SIL and kids came for dinner which was great, nice to have the company. Had yummy fish & chips. Took Chelsea and her cousin up the road to a house that has lots of pretty decorations and lights in their yard, they loved it. Both my girls are so tired today, hopefully they will sleep in for their mummy tomorrow.

Hope everyone can sleep well in this heat! Tomorrows going to be another scorcher!

Hi all!

Gee you lot post heaps - I think its only been 2 days since I was in here last!

Melb ladies: Hope those fires aren't too threatening - saw on the news its the worst Fires on record for Vic... I remember we had some bad fires in late 90s around Inlaws' place (Beerwah) and we had to ring them up and check on them. Matt's uncle lives in Canberra and was nearly affected by their fires in Jan 2003 (I think?) he said living next to a golf course made his property safe!

Bath and Simone: Seems like you two are quite the Queens of the kitchen! Ohh and who was it who said they make Raspberry Meringue? I WANT THAT RECIPE! (Oh bummer hit enter by mistake - editing now).
    I often make pavlovas, meringue rolls and a great hazelnut and chocolate gateaux that uses about 6 eggs - c'est magnifique! only thing is though am trying really hard to loose weight and stay off that stuff - without succeeding! Only 2kgs lost!

Update: Well Matt working today until 11pm. I did some shopping earlier today and left Aleise at mum's. My bro and his fiancee visited mum and played with Aleise while i was out. Tonight just ate left overs, watched the Fashion Awards (boring) and now am sitting here catching up! Tomorrow we're driving up to Beerwah to see MIL for her 59th birthday. Apart from that nothing exciting has been happening.

Catch you in here again soon.
    Night all! * Hugs**
    Last edited by neeny; December 9th, 2006 at 11:29 PM. Reason: enter hit too early - unfinished post.

Hey neeny - I made yummy raspberry meringue slice last night. Will find recipe and post tomorrow - you'll love it and it's super easy.

Hi Ladies,
    Haven't checked in in ages, how are you all.
    Simone so sorry to hear about your broken arm, I really hope this is the end of all your troubles, my goodness these last six months have beenm terrible to you, just want you to know you are in my thoughts. With the plaster can you get the waterproof one put on? I forget the name of it, it's been awhile, lol. Hyrocel or something like that, you did have to pay for it but it was only like $20 or so. You can go swimming with it and everything, it's really amazing stuff.
    Ik Mel and jess and anyone else in the fire zone good luck and am thinking of you, they look terrible, stay safe.
    A big hi to everyone, hope you are all gearing up for a lovely Christmas.
    Us Nathan is catapillaring around the house, he's so close to crawling, hard to believe that Melissa had been crawling for a good month at this age.
    It has been raining all day here such a welcomed relief to the intense heat we have been having, we had 47 C heat last week.
    Our house contract fell through, very sad, but the building report revealed some disturbing things unfortunately and yet fortunately.lol. We go back to Brissy today for a week to try and find another one, Amanda and Neeny I would love to catch up. Can't wait to see the Wiggles and Robbie Williams this week and I secured tickets to Pink next May, that will be good. Well Im going to go back and read afew threads that I have missed, talk soon
    Dee

Hi Guys,

Had a great arvo/night with the neighbours, all the kids had lots of fun playing with Nixon's bigger toys! we had to keep putting our boxer in the garage though because he was just too rough, poor boy doesnt understand but he bowled one of the boys over when he ran up behind him & jumped up.... looks like we will have fun when Nixon starts walking. anyway found out last week our across the rd neighbour was pg & last night found out our next door neighbour is also pg with no#2! sad thing is we might be back in sydney by the time they come along....

Nixon has a bit fo nappy rash atm, looks so sore and i felt terrible yesterday when he just would not settle i had to let him cry for a bit, when i went in there again he had done a poo & it must have been hurting.... bad mum.....i only started to notice a bit of redness at swimming then last night was redder, i have been caking on curash or this other one starts with D its a pretty good brand, he is still asleep now so i just hope it hasnt worsened over night.

Bath- hehe i am surprised last year we didnt cross paths at Greensborough plaza to get out of the heat! we have evap cooling now but didnt get that till March so i did many a trip up the shops, took myself to the movies, lots of window shopping! Your right i seem to be coping with this heat so much better then i did last year.

Anyway MG xmas party today, i sent an e mail late last night to offer everyone come here instead, its just going to be too hot in a park & the smoke it terrible i dont really want Nixon sitting in it all day.so waiting to c what the consesus is but will have to do a quick tidy up if so its amazing how much mess 4 kids (3-7) make!

Bummer about the house Dee but obviously for the best if there were disturbing things about it, the right one will come along soon for you i hope

Jess- i am imagining how bad it is near you atm cause its so smokey hear i cannot see down the end of the street and we are a good few hours from any fires, stay safe, do u have a fire plan if it gets to that stage?

Neeny- Wow thats great Aleise is sleeping much more for you! keep it up Aleise!

Hiya Dee And Neeny! Good to see you both again... Neeny: I watched the fashion Awards too... I didn't mind the winning dress (Monet inspired wedding gown... not that I could see much reference to Monet's work) infact I thought Darb's awards were well deserved especially with his emphasis on quality craftmanship.... all that beading! Love beadwork... didn't mind that black dress of his either... oh and the work of the student wasn't too bad but I didn't see how it was inspired by nuns! LOL Good to hear Aleise is travelling along nicely and is enjoying time at her nanna's... my children hardly ever get to spend time with family and have only been sat by them once! (when I was having Niall). Dee: Ooooh shame about the house, I remember how excited you were about it... good work getting a builder to inspect construction before purchase!!! So many people think this is a waste of money especially when they can't see any actual cracks... but we've learnt that almost every home has hidden issues... it's how much $ you will need to have them fixed... we've had places inspected that we didn't end up buying at auction and infact the only time we didn't get a place inspected was a tiny bedsit we bought once as an investment and we had to resell a year later because humungeous cracks started to open up!!! So we patched it up and resold to someone who also didn't have it inspected... lucky we made a small profit (which really meant we broke even after the in and out costs!). Better luck next time although I should imagine 6 bedroom houses are as rare as hen's teeth! Once again good to hear Nathan is doing well... have you uploaded any more piccys?

Well another hot day ahead.... am thinking of taking the whole family up to Greensborough Plaza today because it was quite pleasant there yesterday and they had $3 Thomas The TankEngine rides throughout the centre... we could put Verity and Wade on it, wave good bye and sit back and have 10 minutes peace with a coffee!

Niall awake... better change his darling little butt!

ETA: Sorry Nic... missed your post! Read it when i get back!

Bath, I have never been able to get in to Stephen King's novels, he is too descriptive for my liking. A childhood GF of mine was big into his books (I remember her telling me about "It" and being freaked by stormwater drains...) I did like the movie of The Shining - would you believe my parents took me to see it at the drive ins!! While I fell asleep before the axe scene at the end, I was the same age as the boy in it so I could really relate to his fear as he rode around on his bike. They say kids don't "get" suspense, but I think when there is a kid as the protagonist they sure as hell do!! For example, my parents took me to see the original "Alien" at the drive in around the same age, and that didn't scare me one bit (it is more atmospheric than the others). BTW - Greensborough Plaza sounds like the place to be on a hot day like today.

Nick, if Nixon's bum isn't better I can thoroughly recommend David Hosking's nappy rash cream. He is a chemist in Essendon. He sends orders around Australia and it really works - I think Sim has used it before.

Dee that sucks about the house - was it termites? A GF and her hubby had to pull out of their dream house in Brissy due to the little buggers. Take a deep breath and start looking in the new year:mad: Can't believe Nathan and so many others are caterpillaring or commando crawling - Flynn is rolling, but that's about it ATM. I figure he will be a late bloomer in the movement dept due to his size (his dad, who is now 6 foot 6, didn't sit up til 8 months!!)

Neeny, I hope your car has AC - I am thinking of you driving up to Beerwah in this heat! Good on you for making meringues - I have always had the excuse that my oven won't cook low enough, but since I have a new one now I will have to give it a go.

Speaking of heat in country Vic, how are you faring today Jess? Is there anywhere cool you can go with the kids, like a shopping complex? Euroa's close-ish to Shep, isn't it? Sheesh, anywhere, even a supermarket, has to be cooler than a van poor love! Hope you can find a cool spot today!

Mel, we are lucky enough to have AC too, so it's not too bad at our place. Still, I might venture to Target and check out the clothes - your t-****s and the pants Bath mentioned sound just the thing.

Simone, how are you faring in the heat? How your XH isn't giving you the $hits over the w'end!

Ceecee, that is great news about Ally. Do Tresillian focus on contorlled crying or the "no cry" sleep methods? I am going to have to do something about Flynn - he has gone from sleeping from 8 or 9pm to 5 or 6am each night to waking every few hours. I have realised I have got into the habit of pacifying him with a dummy or the boob! I bought the "No Cry Sleep Solution" book which had some interesting pointers for me - I realised I have been feeding him the bulk of his milk at night!! He nibbles a bit duirng the day but his main feeds are between 4 and 6am - gotta put a stop to that. Also, I am going to try and institute more of a flexible but predictable pattern into his day. I am too selfish (LOL!) and love my own freedom to set Flynnie into a pattern when he sleeps at set times during the day (plus I know there will be many days when I have to drag him to meetings or his dad will have him with him) so I will focus more on distinct cues for sleep, feed, etc.

IK, another thing I realise I have been doing is relishing the late night early morning feeds, for the very reson you mentioned about bubs growing quick! I too think about how Flynn was too un-co to feed while I lay down next to him, and how I had to hold his little head all the time. Can I blame Dee and Bath for describing to me the quiet joys of the 4am feed, when all is quiet and you have your "baby" back, even if it is for a brief time?

Gosh, childrearing sounds easy when you read books. Nobody tells you about the tug of love you face when you see your baby cry and you KNOW that picking him up and feeding will set up a pattern but at the same time you LOVE having him nuzzle into you. But that is one thing I like about the "No Cry Sleep Solution" - the author actually says "it's all very well for me to tell you to resettle your bub when he cries in the middle of the night, but at the same time relish those precious moments with your bub cause he will grow up fast".

Better go, I am trying to get some work work done today as well as get Nazi about menu planning. I realised DH and I ate better when I worked because I had limited time and had to plan every meal. Now it is really haphazzard - I can't remember the last time I ate a piece of fruit
    Last edited by Trillian; December 10th, 2006 at 09:11 AM. Reason: removing phone number

Good morning Rory Hey i totally agree with you on early Steven King... don't like them much myself... but he has evolved and become spiritual in his themes these days... his novel Insomnia is the best example of this... basically about heaven and hell and angels and the physics of these places... reading it was almost uplifting. Steven almost died in that roadside hit and run accident remeber... maybe he found God then LOL

whoops... dramas... back soon!

Ay! It's the business end of things today - the wind has picked up and there's a bloody firebug in Melbourne. I hope they get him, cos he's done it on a TFB, to he'll get strung up!
    Jess, sounds like the winds are in your favour today and Euroa is out of the line of fire, so to speak, unless something goes up north of you. The change is predicted to be a south westerly, so you'd still be right Those fires are moving away from you, for now.
    My mum has most of her colleagues in the towns under immediate threat, and I know people in Briagolong, but apparently they have really good clearance around their property, so it will be ember attack they are preparing for (and from what I hear, boy, are they prepared!). Bath, I really hope your people out there have everything in hand it's only going to get hairier. My parents' place will be fine, it seems, as they are smack on the lakes and get the seabreezes to fan back fires. Plus, the property has no buildings on it, and their rented unit is, well, rented!
    I FINALLY printed out Oscar's thank you cards...I think they will accompany Christmas cards this year...is that poor form? I have been seriously thinking of sending them out separately (with a recent photo for those who still haven't met Oscar, as the card was composed months ago and the pic is of Oscar at about 4 weeks), just to maintain some sort of arbitrary etiquette (as I don't know what kind of etiquette it would breach to combine the postage!). What say you, girls?
    Neeny - Nice to see you pop back in again, sounds like little Aleise is travelling very well!
    Nic - I hope you get your way with MG!
    Dee - Great to read from you after a little absence! I would take it as good news about the house - better to miss out on a money-pit...
    Mel - might be a good Knox day! For me, it's never a good day for Knox, but there are no shopping centres up here that you could spend a whole day in (Fern Plaza is just a little on the 'limited' side...LOL!). I'll be up at the fire station later on, anyway, and that's got great aircon. I'll probably wander upstairs and have a peek at the ICC to see what's going on around the state, if I promise to stay out of the way! Your DH will be fine - he's under the CFA's jurisdiction and they take it personally when anyone gets hurt, so he's not likely to if he's under their direction
    Cee Cee - Great that Tresilian could help, you sound quite cheerier than your normal cheery self, so that's great news!
    Simone - do you want to see if Aldi still has theirs from a few catalogues ago? Sometimes stock hangs around for a bit. Their fans were only $15, I should have bought two, but DP would have lectured me about the size of the house and being too lazy to bring one from the bedroom to the loungeroom...and he would have been right!
    I have a wriggly Oscar on my lap.
    The smoke has mostly cleared from here, at least I can see the colour of the sky again, but it looks like it will get smoky again soon.
    Uh oh, he's pressing buttons!
    I'll give him something else to think about by hanging out some washing (nappies must go out, smoke or no, cos they'll just end up smelling damp drying in here, and I need free space in the house for air to circulate).

Unfortunately for the towns over the ranges for me, the winds have turned in the past 5 mins to a NNE wind...we are still bout 50km ina straight line from Tolmie so that should give you a clearer pic. check out the map on the CFA site for a better view. I'm just past Strathbogie. As for cooler places, we have one of those towns that don'tr believe that supermarkets should stay open past 12pm, so we are trying to keep cool by giving the kids a cold shower every hour. ETA: Forgot to say that the smoke has descended on us again...I can only just see the trees in the street next to us, but the sky is covered again and visibility is back to 700m.The wind has really started to pick up though.Getting eerie here!
    Pat is nowhere near crawling, he's happy to lay on the ground and then belly flop onto his tummy.
    We had a MONSTER huntsman in here late last night, DH and I were trying out one of the kids new games when he said "uhoh" and started to look over on the curtains next to me. Me, being the chicken I am, quickly got up and walked over to the other side of the van while he disposed of it.I asked him if when I walked outside if it was going to crawl up my leg and he assured me it wouldn't.
    One of my Aunts cats had a litter of 6 kittens last night as well,exciting night it was! There are 3 female tabbys, 1 male tabby, 1 black female and 1 black male, they are so adorable. I always wanted to be a vet so helping a cat give birth is nothing to me, but I ever see something like a snake...GET THE BLOODY THING AWAY FROM ME! I hate them!!!!
    Last edited by Jesswith6; December 10th, 2006 at 09:32 AM.

Yeah, Jess, it's those ranges towns that I really feel for - hard to access and the terrain is just ripe for firestorms. Being that you are in a more urbanised environment you'll stay safe enough to be able to help out when things get rough for those who lose assets if that wind change keeps up (still, Canberra showed that urban areas are still at risk if ill-prepared, but you're in Vic and we got preparation down pat!). The CFA website has some tips for people wanting to help out their local CFA stations, but you've probably got something organised through your church, anyways. Every helping hand is appreciated, but you'd know that
    My mate will be in the thick of it right now, but I daren't call him. He's contracting with the DSE, but he's a Vol, too, so I'd say no rest for the wicked, there! He's in Tawonga (which, as of a few days ago was about 1km from some fire activity), but driving a dozer all over the fire areas and right in them. I've also got Vol friends in Wang, Shep and Strathmerton, so they will all be out and about - I can picture one being really cheeky to VicPol, so, Mel, if DH reports a young, blonde punk in yellows giving him cheek, I'll ask my friend to explain himself to me LOL!
    Well, looks like DP will be camping out there - motels must be all booked out already - as he's got his sleeping bag and pillow packed. More scenes of footy oval accomodation, methinks. He'll take photos, so I'll send them when he gets back. I also got the brigade digital cameras for the two trucks (well, I'll be reimbursed, but I found them cheap at Aldi and everyone was so impressed with last year's NZ pics taken on the same camera that they were happy to take them), so there will be pics from DP's camera and also the truck camera.
    My dad's been cleaning out their pool, so by next week's hot weather, we'll have somewhere to dunk ourselves...although it's significantly colder than the public outdoor! Oscar likes his water quite a bit, so that should be fun.
    Back to fire watching in Gippsland after doing this laundry...

Just heard that Tolmie has a reprieve, however temporary it may be, so to the vols out there!
    It's 37 degrees NOW, Melbourne chickies, so if you were wondering, yes, it's true! Therefore, the BOM is reviewing the top temp forecast as I type...
    ETA: wind has picked up a treat here just now and smoke has come back, along with the smell - low visibility, too. You wouldn't believe how jittery the atmosphere becomes in the towns up here when this happens - everyone's houses are surrounded by oil filled trees!
    Last edited by Smoke Jaguar; December 10th, 2006 at 10:12 AM.

What gets me about the fire situation is that Euroa isn't being told what we can do to help out...we are completely in the dark(besides from the news).From my window all I see is smoke and the leaves blowing in the wind.The heat is favourable for drying clothes,but unless you like the smell of smoke I don't recommend that!
    DH put his name down for the CFA as a vol about 3 months ago and has heard nothing since...Is this normal IK?

Good news! They have a little bit of rain falling around the My Buller area now, so lets hope it helps!

Jess - from what you've mentioned in the past, he may have been held back by a police check, which is very much standard when you put your name down. Also, some brigades do have wait lists - terrible situation, but there are brigades that the authority looks at and says "you have this many members, this is the gear you'll get, this is the training you'll be funded for", so that the brigade feels forced to limit the intake because to give those additional people gear and training will be an out of pocket expense for that brigade. Many brigades just don't have those funds. 3 months ago would have been prime to process paperwork because it's a quiter time of year, so it may well not be a case of them being lazy...although I wouldn't discount this, either, I have heard of some VERY recalcitrant brigades! Mine isn't one of them But we are often accused of being 'the big house' - jealous brigades that we are absolutely on top of our training and they lag because training officers need a good kick...
    I know how you feel about feeling helpless (and I don't mean this season because of Oscar). I joined because I was sick of being in this area in summer, hearing the siren and being reminded that another year had passed without me making good on my promise to join...so one year, when I was nursing a broken heart, I decided that distraction was the best remedy - it worked a treat! 5 years on...it's a family affair ETA: But IKWYM about wanting to help. Unfortunately, insurance jitters from the authority mean that hands on help at the fire station is out, but the website does suggest some ways to help.
    Last edited by Smoke Jaguar; December 10th, 2006 at 10:35 AM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast