Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Babies Born June 2006 #24

Nic - DH's miss out so much with the babies. Mine sometimes goes days without seeing the girls and they really miss him, esp Chelsea. He gets annoyed too having to work such weird hours. Hopefully you will have some family time together at xmas. I saw the news before and it looked shocking - you are right, it could have been much worse. They have charged the driver, wonder why he lost control. He was only 20 and on his P plates.

Rory - you poor doofus! Hope its not too sore and you don't end up with a black eye. Nice look for xmas. Poor DH and Flynn - he'll have a plan for next time.

Just been flicking through my Donna Hay cookbook, there are so many great recipes I don't know which to try first!

Night all, catch you tomorrow.

Morning all - I have a nice black eye for my trouble!! Like DH said, I am lucky I didn't take out an eye - the impact was just where the lower rim of my glasses sits. Bummer is I have to go to the shops today to pick up photos - can you imagine the sympathetic looks I am going to get?? And I am going to my Susan Christmas party tonight - they will all laugh their heads off!!

(Susan stands for "Susan Turner". A group of girls get together once a month for yumcha and various locations around melb and book the table under the name of Susan Turner - as in lazy susan - get it? It is highly developed - the "Organising Susan" for the month is given the box with the cooking scissors we use to cut up the dumplings, the email list and the ratings sheets - we rate each restaurant. She is responsible for chosing the next venue and sending out invitations. We have our Chrissy dinner tonight and we will receive the Annual Report which details the restaurants, major events and a summary of those who attended. Lots of fun, but in print it sounds like s cult - LOL!!!)

Mel, both DH and Flynn made up this morning. DH's plan is "Rory makes sure Flynn gets enough sleep during the day so he isn't so ratty in the evening" - LOL!! Which Donna Hay book have you got?

Nickers, is Nixon taking formula as well as the morning feed, or is he solids ATM? Reason I ask is Flynn is dropping feeds and I am not sure when it is ok for him to be down to just 2 or 3 a day.

IK - how are the fires?

And Jess, are there any still up your way - or did you get any rain last night? How is little Jack going? Little boys always get such a hard time at school, as I am now becoming acutely aware reading a few posts here and there. As a mother of a son all of a sudden I am not sitting back thinking "heh heh boys - you may rule the world but girls are better at school!!" Strange thing is the minute I found out Flynn was a boy (which was when his jewels flew past my face as they handed him to me!) I thought "oh lucky thing, the world is made for people like you."

Ali bummer about the job situation - I thought there was a shortage of teachers ATM?

Bath, who are the rellos?? ETA: HOW are the rellos??

Rory you poor thing getting a black eye, everyone today is going to thinking the wrong thing about what happened. I know when Wyatt gave me a fat lip early this year I got alot of stares. Hope it's not to sore.

Nic and Mel I know how you girls feel, DH has been leaving the house before 4:30am every morning and isn't home until 6pm or later at night, so only gets to see the three older kids for a hour or two, then their off to bed, and most days he doesn't see Cody at all.

As for me, I will be going to do the offical book in for Lockie today and it's the first day that I will have all the kids home, 6 long weeks of holidays coming up with me breaking up lots of fights, yay. Cody has been playing with his feet for the last few weeks and finally last night he started putting his toes in his mouth, he thinks it's wonderful, lol.

Bath I hope your relatives are all safe.

IK and Jess I hope you are safe and that the fires aren't to close.

hugs xoxo

morning girls... typing one fingered again... just about to put niall down for a nap, he's had his cereal, loved it once again... just realised that my little milk frother is excellent for blending the rice cereal and ebm.

rory: Oh I sooo sympathsise!!! Verity and i were sharing a pillow one morning when she was 2yo and all of a sudden she flung her head back into my face and gave me a black eye!!! i saw stars and all!!! and i had to work as a receptionist that week (part time)... it got sooo black and my boss thought that it was DH! I felt so uncomfortable and awkward about it... some of the looks i got... even in the street! I really hope it does't get too bad for you! Kepp us informed of developments... they get worse before they get better unfortunately.

IK: and how's your nose? we've been so worried about the fires that it's just occurred to me that you haven't mentioned it in a while...

fires: relos are fine physically but mentally traumatised... SIL almost got caught up in them before they were told to evacuate... because her boss wouldn't let her leave immediately to collect her child... long story... I might post more later...

gotta put niall down now.... thinking of you with all your kids at home too today amanda!

Rory - lucky you didn't break your glasses! Your "Susan" dinner sounds similiar to my "Dames Dinner". There is 5 of us, who on the 3rd Friday of every month go out for dinner. We have a schedule that tells us who is picking the restaurant and we try to choose different cuisines. We have been to Thai, Egyptian, Greek, Malaysian, Turkish, Hungarian, Korean! We collect their business cards, then email our review and at the end of the year we print out a little book about our adventures. We haven't missed one this year, I even made it to the one 3 days prior to Marley being born! Tonight is my pick and for something special we are going to Neil Perry's new Rockpool at Crown! Can't wait. Yours sounds fun too, taking the scissors along LOL!!! Hope you have a great time. I got Donna Hays "Instant Entertaining". Brilliant book, its on sale for $24.95 (half price) and either Target, Kmart or Myer???

Amanda - hope they don't fight too much for you? It must be hard coming up with things for them to do, I struggle to find things for just Chelsea to do!

Bath - glad Niall is enjoying his cereal. Marley thinks its poison!!!! Was thinking of your rellos this morning watching the news. What a pr!ck of a boss, hope she gave him a blasting, it must have been so scary for her! Any news about their house?

Going to make Chelsea some jelly. My brother and his girlfriend are babysitting tonight. They have never looked after both before! DH leaves for work about 8.30pm, so they should both be in bed. Marley usually doesn't wake till 10.30-11ish so they should be right. Also heading into Ikea this afternoon with a friend. LOVE IKEA!!!

Have a great day.

My advice for people with kids home over the holidays is to invest in lots of paperbags, paper plates, drinking straws, and other crafty stuff such as popsticks, glue etc, and then google craft ideas for kids. There are literally thousands of websites with ideas and activites to do with kids. Crafty stuff is especially good on hot days when they can get outside to later in the day to play.

Rory- Sorry to hear about your eye. I ended up with a black eye and a broken tooth one year after a little too much vodka and then meeting the pavement with my face. When I next went to work some woman came up to me and said- you really should report him! and I said who, and she was like your boyfriend- he shouldnt be allowed to hit you like that. I just laughed, and told her it was my own fault, too much drink and not enough coordination.

Well after a horror day and night here yesterday- teething is making my usually happy baby a cranky pants, as well as a little unwell- I think we might be getting back to normal today. I had to change the sheets on her cot yesterday because she spewed on them, then last night I gotup to feed her and her nappyhad leaked, and I hadnt put the mattress protector back on, so she had to sleep the rest of the night with us. I think in about 14 hours yesterday she had 2 hours sleep, in the end we hd to get in the car with her and go driving. Oh well, a better day today I am sure.
    Last edited by *Ali*; December 15th, 2006 at 10:31 AM. Reason: too many typos

Rory- ouch at your eye, you poor Duffa! Yes Nixon is on solids he was having 2 a day but when he started dropping his feed i introduced the 3rd solid feed. he is not taking formula as well as the morning feed but has breakfast a little while after it.
    Your dinner thign sounds cool, how did u get involved Mel & Rory?
    i tried to start a gourmet club a while back with some friends that we have dinner once a month diff person time to choose place etc but it started falling apart when it wasnt my turn to organise cause everyone else was slack! so in the end just stopped doing it.

Been to my premi research playgroup thismorning, would u beleive the concreters showed up about 15min b4 i was ready to leave to do the saw cuts that they were suppose to do 3 weeks ago when he first had it done... they never called or anything i was already running around the house trying to make a slice and get everything ready (having bbq tomorrow night) , i had to try and catch the dogs to put them in the garage (husky pays games & u cannot catch her, i felt bad i told her we were going on a walk so i could catch her!_
    i had to go out there and say i REALLY have to leave soon & i didnt know u were coming..... which bugs me cause they rushed and didnt clean up after themselves.
    shortly taking Nixon to his MCHN appoint then hopefully dh back with our friends from syd so then i can get to my hair appoint in time tothen get back in time to change and leave again for dinner.. pheww im gonna be pooped by tonight!
    ok gotta keep moving.

hey girls - quick one from me - spent the day with Simone and my GF Annie - they came over to my place while I cleaned and then we walked into Glenroy (I had to post my chrissy cards) and had lunch at a vietnamese restuarant. gotta go - wanna organise my kitchen.....then flynn's room.....then the bathrooms.....then.......

I'm here just haven't had much time to post.
    The fires are 45km away so yeah they are close but the highlight of this morning was that "ELVIS" went over Euroa.So we know they are still there, besides the fact that we cannot see because of smoke. H (notice the D is missing) just told me that we did have a bit of rain last night but not enough to dampen anything.
    As I just said, been busy here! Our old housing Commission house was left vacant on Wednesday and the tenant that had been in there, suggested that we move in there under the cover of darkness and stuff the department right up, but I said I couldn't besides 1. it was dishonest and 2. it was illegal. Anyway, we saw that the housing officer was there yesterday morning and I commented to H that I wonder who is going to end up in there. Because it was hot yesterday, we spent a lot of time at home and about 2, I headed up into the house because Pat was hot. Not two minutes later, Lizzie came running up to the door saying "Daddy needs your help with the fence!" I walked down there to find him holding a piece of fencing tin in his hands. He said look in the front on the seat of the van, so I did and there was a letter from the department of housing! He said the Police were just here, they RIPPED this piece of fence off and walked into the backyard and handed me this letter.
    The letter said:
    Dear Mr and Mrs White,
    Your application for early housing is being reviewed and we will get back to you soon.
    If you try to move into * ***** ** you will be seen as doing something illegal and the police will charge you on our behalf.
    Yours Sincerely

I was so angry I ran inside and showed my aunts the letter, then grabbed the phone and rang them. I said that yes it had been suggested to me that I move in, but I had told them that it was illegal and that I told the Department that I was NOT intending to do so!! The housing officer tried to say that she was told that I WAS intending to do it and I told her(in no uncertain terms) that I had already told her that I wasn't so she could go and shove it where the sun doesn't shine!!!!!! I know I should not have said it, but I was very angry.

Good Morning

It's just Niall and me ATM... looooovely... so peaceful... rest of the family at Little Athletics.

Jess: Because you're a Junie I'm going to treat you like all the other Junies and share my honest thoughts with you. They might not be what you are hoping to hear but I trust that you know that I'm a reasonable kinda person who isn't out to hurt people's feelings. If you want to read fifty posts that don't say much more than: "oh you poor darl (((hugs))) how awful, I'd give them a piece of my mind too" then you can copy and post your last post into the BooHoo room. Presumedly you want a bit more substance in terms of advice or else you wouldn't have posted in here... if I'm wrong and you don't need or want advice then maybe post: Vent Only

So this is me assuming you want a bit of feedback on your situation: Jess, I know it feels good to give some poor government call centre staff member a "piece of your mind" but I think it's counter productive to the result you are looking for. You want a house yes? Well put simply: you gotta play the game... you gotta bite your tongue... you have to be as nice as pie to everyone (including the cops) that have anything to do with you getting a house. I'm not suggesting you pretend to be something you are not... everyone has to restrain impulse to achieve desired outcomes in life. Put even more simply; if you had a choice between fighting this battle to get a house for another 5 years or being given a house next year which would you choose? Of course you would choose the latter. So do what you have to do girl. I think this primarliy means biting your tongue. Stop demanding to be treated like a victim. Tell yourself: "I can change things" and you will.

Now before you bite me and say "oh it's easy for you to say that sitting up there in your big house" stop and consider how much you don't know about my life. If you knew what I've been through you would say I had perfect reason to have a chip on my shoulder and demand to be treated like a victim too. Choose to take command of your situation (as your H seems to lack the skills) ... but "command" doesn't just mean barking orders. Sometimes the hardest thing is to bite your tongue and be patient.

Jess, you've got to improve your reputation within the government departments that you are dealing with. You have got to engage their sympathy. You cannot intimidate them into getting what you want. You've got to play the game. I read some good advice in another thread you began in the BooHoo room when your friend got a house: someone posted that your aunt should have 18months of rental receipts to prove that you are capable of meeting your financial obligation for Dept. Housing. This is the sort of stuff you need to do. Keep your eyes on the ball darl... you want a house MORE than you want to vent all the frustrations you have in life at them. You can't have both.... well, maybe... but they will string it out as long as they can if you keep giving them reason to.

Jess, please take what I've said as me simply wanting to help... I can't think of a time when I have read a happy post from you.... I know life is meant to be bootcamp for the soul but you don't need to make it harder than necessary. How's your shingles? I had chickenpox in 2002 so i know your pain! I hope that at least is easing... try doing as much as you can to boost your immunity... and that includes thinking happier thoughts! Count your blessings... and know that "this too will pass".

Hope everyone else is having the start of a great weekend

Morning everyone - went for my monthly "Dames Dinner" last night at Neil Perrys Rockpool at Crown. I must say I was a tad disappointed. It had very good reviews and isn't cheap. The food was very good, but didn't blow me away like I thought it would. I am glad we tried it and my KK present was the Womens Weekly "Cupcakes" cookbook. There are some super delicious recipes in there that I can't wait to try.

Nic - we started our Dames Dinner with work colleagues (we are all friends too) and there are 5 of us who go out the 3rd Fri of each month. So far we haven't missed one month. I even managed to go to the one 3 days before Marley was born!!! We try to choose diff cuisine and we usually have a limit of $30 a head and choose BYO. This one, being our christmas one, was a little more extravagent. Hope you can convince your friends to keep it going, its such good fun. Sounds like you have a hectic weekend with your rellos, hope it all goes well. How did Nixon go at his MCHN app?

Rory - how is Simone, please say hi to her if you speak to her soon. Tell her I miss hearing from her. Hows the eye? Love Vietnamese!

Jess - hard for me to comment on your situation as I don't know the background on it being on a newy! Good luck with whatever happens. Bath has some great advice, she is the wise one amongst us so you should take note.

Bath - hope you don't mind me calling you the "wise one"!

Quiet day until 2.30pm when I am babysitting my two nieces, my brother and SIL have a wedding to go to, so its going to be a late night. One is 3, the other only 4 months old! Going to have my hands full tonight esp once DH goes to work at 8.30pm. Hope I can get all 4 into bed by then. I keep stressing, what if the 2 babies need a feed at the same time - how to people with twins do it????

Did you guys see the news about the baby that drowned in Adelaide? Such a sad, sad story that bought me to tears. I was in the car on my way home from Ikea when I heard it and just wanted to stop the car and give my babies a cuddle. That poor mother!

Hi to everyone else, hope you all have a great Saturday.

Wow, Bath! That is some of the best advice I have read in ages...I'm taking a leaf out of that book, it's so timely for me and my tiny battle (in comparison to other battles out there!) with some old schoolers in my brigade.
    I've been MIA lately, but I have not got long to get a lot of things organised...and for 3 days I'm doing it on my own because DP is off on another strike team today. I was out most of yesterday and for the rest of today I'll be at markets, the fire station, a surprise birthday party and then possibly my GF's (their dog died ) and then possibly my parents. Tomorrow is the morning Santa Run, followed by the brigade christmas BBQ, then a few moments at home before heading out to my boobie group's end of year KK. I had my haircut yesterday, so that should last the rest of summer. My car is booked for a service on Monday and then I have my XXX, and a neighbour visiting. Tuesday I'm visiting a friend and collecting my ebay nappies, as well as trying to finalise purchases that DP will need for his leadership course when we get back. Wednesday I have a follow up appt at the hospital (eeek! need to write that letter!), then a myotherapy appt, then brigade. Looks like Thursday will be a nice day for a drive to the peninsula to visit DP's aunt (and hopefully a side trip to Sorrento with the boy!). Friday seems to be mercifully free to do last minute things that arise from packing to leave on the Saturday...my head is in a spin, but now that I've written it down here, I feel that it is mapped out in a more organised and manageable fashion!
    So, how IS everyone??? Mel and Rory, those girly club things you have going sound great. We have the beginnings of one over here, we call it the 'Daylesford Club', because it consists of the girls who came away that weekend to Daylesford. One of them one a voucher to use at a local cafe, and being that we organised the weekend when we met at this cafe, she's invited us all to use her voucher there! I dont' know if I told you, but one of the girls also bought us all each a little money box, so that we could deposit gold coins into to save up for the next trip to Daylesford - what a great idea! So, we've all got some coinage in there already
    I'll probably have a bit of time when in NZ to post and keep up with everyone, and I'm pretty sure I'll bring my laptop, too, if I have received my replacement battery in time.
    Oooh, I feel so organised...I bought my 2007 diary this week, too. I usually do this sometime in January, after my free union one has p!ssed me off enough, as I have some particular needs from a diary that those free ones just don't give me! I wasn't taking chances, so I got one that has all my requirements...for $3.50, at the local bargain shop. Yep, I could have gone all fairtrade etc...but my funds just don't extend that far.
    Ok, nearly time to get going to take DP to the fire station and then spend his money (yep, he knows it's OUR money ) on the Christmas pressies I have left to get.
    Time for more toast before putting out nappies and then going.
    Hope everyone is travelling VERY well!
    ETA: Hi Mel! I was almost sick when I heard the story, but DP kept saying that she was stupid for taking a call and not locking the wheels. Whatever. It is still sickening and she will feel sick for the rest of her life and I wish she had her baby in her arms right now. Yep, I gave Oscar cuddles, when I heard, too. Sorry you didnt' enjoy dinner like you should have!
    Last edited by Smoke Jaguar; December 16th, 2006 at 11:44 AM.

IK - there doesn't sound like enough hours in the day for you!!! You must be exhausted doing all that running around. Love the money box idea, should suggest it my GF's. You must be so excited about NZ and getting to see your little niece for the first time. Well done on getting a diary nice and early. Been meaning to the same thing as I have heaps on in January (the big thing being Chelsea's 4th bday) and I am bound to forget something!

All is going well with the kids so far (touchwood!). Both babies are asleep and the bigger girls are watching Shrek. We have made playdough, they have played with barbies in the cubbyhouse so they can have a bit of quiet time now. Hopefully it continues like this.

Enjoy the rest of the sunshine!

Time for a new thread everyone.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678