Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Babies Born June 2007 #11

Congratulations Sarah! Wishing you a H&H pregnancy.

Re separation anxiety - Diana goes through phases. Sometimes she is more clingy and sometimes more outgoing. I think that it is natural for children to be a bit more clingy at this stage of their life (about two years old), as they are just beginning to realise that you are not always there, etc. Especially if he goes to childcare only a few days a week, it may feel like every time he gets used to being away from you, he doesn't go there for a few days and kind of has to "learn all over again" the next time. (I don't have personal experience with this, as Diana is not in childcare yet, but I remember a separate discussion about this topic in another thread, and the suggestion was that although putting kids in childcare a couple of days a week may seem gentler on them than putting them in full time, it may in fact take them longer to get used to it this way. But it sounds like Lewis is settling in okay, even if he's getting used to it only slowly, so I hope it goes well for you both.)

We took Diana to a Yo Gabba Gabba workshop at a local shopping centre today. She got to do some colouring in, got her face painted and met two of the characters (don't remember their names - the pink one and the little green one). I think she had fun, but she was a bit scared of being up close to the monsters. Very cute.

Congratulations SARAH!!!! That is such exciting news!!!!!!!!!

re Separation Anxiety - Chloe hates it when i go out even if she is being left with her daddy and big sister. It's horrible sometimes but it only takes her a couple of minutes and she's fine. Although when MIL babysits, it takes a few minutes more and then apparently she'll be fine for a while then all of a sudden get sad and ask for me But then, DD#1 has her moments too - I'm about to walk out the door, we've all done kisses and hugs and suddenly it's like she panics at the thought of me leaving It can be so heartbreaking one minute and *blush* annoying the next as it's the same thing each time. Thinking of all you mummies who have to experience this - not the best fun

xx

P.S. Starfish - I'd be scared of those monsters close up!!
    Last edited by Charlyfrog; August 16th, 2009 at 05:45 PM. Reason: after thought :D

I'm soooooooooooooooo excited for you Sarah!!!

We've tried a new solution with Caeleb and his sleeping or lack of as the case was. A friend of ours took their kids to a sleep doctor who said they weren't getting enough food (hard to imagine) and that their diet should be 75% carbs, so feed them right up at dinner. Also, we moved him back into our room in the toddler bed, just to get him in the routine of sleeping through in his own bed, then gradually move him back into his own room.

It's working... he's sleeping through!!! 5 nights and counting!

Hi all, sorry been MIA but busy and fat and tired and concentrating on keeping #2 inside for a few more weeks.

Just looking for some help/reassurance from those of you who have had your second baby. How did you cope? What tips do you have? How will I manage a baby and a 2yo? We run our own business so my husband will have to work my job when I can't any more. This means that three days a week he'll be at work for about 12 hrs, and three days for about 6 hrs (includes 5 nights a week working until at least 6.30pm). So, I'll have to do breakfast alone 4 or 5 days a week, and dinner time alone 5 days a week. And please don't tell me to ask friends for help - I don't really have any as I used to work in a town over 100km away so don't have any friends here. Practical things would be good, along with some reassurance! Oh, and I'll be having a c section just to add to the entertainment.

Thanks for all your good wishes, fingers crossed for now!

Feathertop - I'm also wondering how I will cope with two as DH is a chef and does 5 x 12 hour days. I suppose we will find a routine but it will be interesting to hear what the 'experienced' Mums say! When are you due?

Yes I think I have to just let the seperation anxiety sort itself out, it's the bedtimes that I hate because it's forming such a bad habit me having to stay in his room while he falls asleep. Good job Masterchef has finished now or I would not be happy!!

Starfish - Lewis isn't into Yo Gabba Gabba but I've wondered how he would react to those big characters in shopping centres, Bob the Builder is in Bunnings on Saturday

Oh God must go, Lewis has just put Thomas in the fish tank

YAY Congratulations Sarah!!! Thats wonderful news!! Sending you loads and loads of sticky vibes

We have the bedtime problem here too. Mikayla either has to fall asleep in our bed and then we move her, or I have to lie in her bed with her until she nods off (usually after at least 6-7 books!!) I know they're both bad habits but its all we've got at the moment.

Celsie how did your friend find a sleep doctor? I was going to take Mikayla to the paed but dont really want to spend $280 just for him to refer me on to someone else!! The food thing does make sense - Mikayla's never been the best eater so maybe that could be a factor. Hmmmm....

Feathertop great to have you back. I wont say its been easy looking after the 2 but it does seem to be getting a little easier 4 months on! Matthew has reflux so he's only just started sleeping through the night and Mikayla, well she's never slept through so sleepless nights have pretty much been a given for us for the past 2 years!! We're in the same position as you. I had a c-sect and we own a business too. This time round DH couldnt take time off like he did the first time. Do you have someone looking after Angus (apart from DH) while you're in hospital? If you do speak to your OB about giving you some extra time to recouperate before sending you home - thats what my OB suggested and it made things a bit easier when I got home - but I have to say I'm a quick healer so that helped too. The only suggestion I have is to try and prepare Angus as much as you can. I know at this age they dont entirely understand but if you try to explain that mummy's going to need to help the new baby he'll kind of know what'll be happening iykwim. Have plenty for him to do once baby arrives. I made sure I had some new toys and crafty things for Mikayla so she wouldnt get bored. Also have something special for him to watch or play with while you're feeding the baby - thats when I found Mikayla became most attached to me. As soon as I started to feed, thats when she wanted to sit on my lap or have a cuddle. And try to at some stage in the day spend some time doing something with him alone - even if its just reading a book - just so he doesnt think that the new baby is taking his place. Apart from that all you can really do is rest when you have a chance (which may not be often) and make sure you speak to someone (DH or even your GP) if you think you're not coping - I find it really does help to be able to break down and have a cry on DH's shoulder when it all gets too much - it seems to give me a fresh start once I get it all out!!! Good luck with the birth and I hope your transition from "mummy of 1" to "mummy of 2" goes as smoothly as possible xx
    Last edited by teepee2; August 18th, 2009 at 10:25 PM.

Feathertop the biggest piece of advice I can give you from going from one to two cherubs is take one day at a time. I love Teepee's suggestions from spending a couple more days in hopsital to having activities etc to occupy #1, especially a 'special' toy/item for feeding time. A midwife suggested to me that I make sure that there was always a spare seat on the non-feeding side for DD#1 to come and cuddle me and the baby when feeding. This way DD#1 knew that I hadn't run out of cuddles for her Being a girl though we gave her a doll that she eventually started to 'feed' when I fed #2! Lol!! I don't see a problem with boys doing the same thing as they're so little but that's a personal thing. Might just be handy to have a doll tucked away in case you think it might be a useful 'tool' at feed times I know you can get some children's books on bringing babies home - depending on how feed times go you could probably multi task and read the story to #1 as you feed #2

But like I said, it is rather daunting thinking about how you're going to go being on your own for so long. My DH did night shifts so was gone all night some nights as well as days etc. You need to be kind to yourself, patient and forgiving of yourself as well as cut your self slack on a daily basis. For your first couple of weeks all you need to be doing is focussing on you, your baby and your 2yo. Potter when you feel up to it but don't expect that you should maintain your current normal of mothering a 2yo and maintaining a house. You're going to find a new kind of normal

Can you make meals now and freeze them? Quiches, bolognaise, casseroles, risottos, soups etc? Stock up on super easy meals - bakes that you chuck it all together and just pop it in the oven and it does the rest itself. Yes even dead simple like baked beans on toast!! You need to simplify it now for your sanity later Also with breakfast times - I altered DD#1's breakfast time so I could tend to her to a point that she was fine to leave (so finished eating) before I started feeding #2. Like I said, a new kind of normal had to be created. But you know what? That's not to say that you won't find yourself in the thick of it and realise you have found your groove quicker than what you thought possible. But it's ok to take a while as well

The thoughts about what is to come really can be far more daunting than the reality and whilst you may not have the physical help available to you, jump on here and natter, natter, natter!!! To have an emotional outlet is very important!

My DD#1 decided to toilet train when #2 was just 5 months old - so was still feeding regularly. BF & toilet training at the same time was ridiculous! LOL! But if someone had told me before hand that that's what I'd be doing I probably would've a) slapped the person and b) said that there was no way that'd ever happen, hehe.

It's hard to see the wood for the trees sometimes but I'd love to encourage you that you have done an amazing job with #1 and you will do the same wonderful and amazing mothering with #2 and #1 at the same time!!

Oh and make sure the kettle is always ready for a cuppa

Not sure if I just woffled your eyes off but I hope maybe I helped some?? xx

Thanks for the advice ladies, I'll be reading that over and over again I think!

Made it to 34 weeks now, so can deliver at my hospital of choice. Up to 36 weeks they will try to stop the contractions, but after that they say they will just let me go and see what happens! So it might end up being a VBAC! Crikey, I hadn't prepared for the possibility of labour and vaginal delivery, better start reading up (is it too late to do perineal massage?).

Hi Feathertop - its never too late for perineal massage. Although I hate to tell you that it doesn't always make a difference. Still, I think it'd be worth a try. Good luck.

Diana has been going through a rather, ahem, challenging phase recently. She insists on picking her own clothes and screams if we try to dress her in something she doesn't like. This wouldn't be so much of an issue if the clothes she picked were not so impractical, e.g. thongs in cold weather... She is also repeating everything she hears, which can be a bit embarrassing. The other day she ran down the street yelling "sex boy"...

Helloooo? Where is everyone?

Default Saying bye bye

Hello lovely ones - I have been chronically MIA and with the way life is going now, I really can't see that status changing for a long time. I won't be cancelling my account ....fingers crossed I may need a belly buddies group one day HAHAHAHAHAHAHA *sigh* but I am going for a while

I am loving my family - the girsl are just growing way too fast but life has just become so jammed pack that I have struggled to find balance. Well thankfully through many D&M's with my bestest life support partner ever, DH I have been able to nut out a bit more about me and have started to take steps to finding that beautiful balance. I know life can throw curve balls but I prefer balance to be more the norm than the exception.......up until recently it was the other way round

Sooooo, just wanted to pop in here to say I'm great, life is, errr, interesting as I've started to branch out and do things that I once only dreamed about. Now that my little cherubs are slightly older I have a bit more flexibility to do this but still be there for them and DH.

Thank you to everyone for the journey over the past couple of years - it's been so great to share parenting babies to toddlers with those in the same boat!!

You're all adorably gorgeous thanks again!!

MWAH!!!
    Charly xxxxx

Thanks for the lovely post Charly. Wishing you all the best and hope to see you around soon. I know what you mean about being MIA. I realised the other day that most of the ladies from this thread are now also part of new Belly Buddies and/or Baby Buddies threads, as their little ones that prompted them to join this group are no longer their only children! Hope you are all doing well with your growing families.

Our news - Diana is now officially nappy free during the day. Today is the first day where she wore undies and no nappy until bed time. We only had one minor accident, so fingers crossed that things will keep going well for her.

Otherwise, things are still plodding along. I am still working fulltime, which is going okay (apart from all the office politics - hope things settle down soon).

Oh Charly, I'm so sad to see you go, but I understand. I'm almost at the same point.
    All the best!

Lots of love,

S, C & Z! xoxox
    Last edited by Celsie; November 3rd, 2009 at 10:31 PM.

Oh no Charly please don't go!!!! Sorry had to say it but I totally understand why you have to. Its been wonderful to share such a special journey with you. You've unhesitatingly provided your knowledge, friendship and support along the way and for that I thank you, from the bottom of my heart. I wish you all the best and every success in the future. Hope to hear from you sometime soon. Please give your gorgeous girls a huge hug from Mikayla and I. Miss your quirkiness and virtual smiles already!! Love ya xx

Hello if anyone is still here!

Sorry to see you go Charly, it looks like we have all moved on and are being kept busy by our little ones.

I'm relieved to hear we are having another healthy boy after having an amnio which was an anxious time. Feathertop not sure when you are due, it must be soon??

Helloooooooo!!! Where is everyone?? Hope you're all well xx

Hi all,

Im still here, just rather busy with two little ones.....still havnt really found my "groove" just yet
    am promising myself to get on more though...i really need the outlet and emotional support.....i'd prob have thought twice about being a mum to two at a close age if someone told me this is what will happen to you!! lol not that i would change it now but still.........
    I envy those of you who are coping with two little ones!!

Hopefully jump on soon!!

It'll get better Naomi... eventually!! In the meantime just chew our ears off

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast