Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Babies Born March 2006 #6

Hiya everyone,

Jen and Liz- sounds like your bubs are going great. Im impressed with the eating! im so scared that Abby is going to choke. When i give her a banana, i mash it up and feed her with a spoon... if we go out for tea, she has 'sketti' and i spend ages cutting up the pasta. She did get a few long ones tho and it was the cutest thing in the world- seeing her suck them up like a pro.

She mainly eats pasta and veg, wheet bix for breakfast, some fruit as snacks, a teddy bear biscuit every now and then. Toast doesnt really get eaten, and i did give her a sandwich once but then freaked out and took it off her. I want to give her more fruit but that scares me too. She does eat anything we eat really, but i make it look like mush first or cut it into such small pieces.

Can you all please help me out and tell me what your babies eat and how you prepare it?

I feel like a bad mum now, but im just so scared. Mum freaked me out and told me that she saw a 5 year old on tv that had to be spoon fed!!

As for other things... shes very happy and very healthy. Loves her drinks of juice and water in this heat. Loves to swim.

We had a weekend of trouble with her teeth playing up a couple of weeks ago. Now i know what all this fuss about teething babies is all about. Abby has 4 and a half teeth, and the first 4 were nothing! This last one was a pain and it was horrible to see her like that. I couldnt believe the fits she was throwing and wacko the next day she has a tooth thru. Its one of the top middle ones. Shes also currently cutting the bottom one left of the middle 2, and the other top middle one is right there bulging waiting to cause some trouble. That will be 3 teeth this month!!!

Shes been doing 2-3 poos a day... so delightful!

So onto the TTC... just waiting for AF to show up... im on day 27 so it can be long (cycles are 28-29 days) Im a bit cross with my body at the moment as ive had cramps, tingles and all sorts of aches and my boobs have been sore for the past 2 weeks.... so basically its going to mean nothing when next month im looking for pregnancy symptoms (as ya do!) and ill have the sore boobs and cramping. Bugger. lol i would hate having to wait till a missed AF to test! (lol here we go again!!! now its all coming back to me! the joys of ttc)

Dont think im gonna get my VBAC, the odds are going to be against me if/(when) i get GD and am on insulin. Im not sure that you can be induced when ur having a VBAC (i was told this) and its "normal" (apparently) to get induced at 38w with GD/insulin. I dont know, i cant think about it anymore, im just going round in circles.

Congrats to all the babies who are starting to walk! Silly Abby thinks she can just get up off the floor without any help... she pushes herself up onto her feet with her hands on the floor and trys to stand up that way... ofcourse its not going to work!! haha

Emz - Tallon has mushed fruit with cereal in the morning, and sometimes a bit of toast, if I can be bothered making it hehe. Lunch - dunno! Today I gave him mushed veg & rice.. and he had the same for dinner poor kid. But he loves fruit.. he chomps into watermelon and rockmelon.. mango is a bit slippery.. but he somehow manages to eat a bit.. we had peaches the other day too. Oh he has apple now too.. altho I think he enjoys the biting of it more than the eating.. as most of it ends up in his highchair, bitten into little bits. hehe.

Don't worry about the mashing. I know someone that mashed all her daughters food for a couple of years out of fear of choking.. but she eats just fine now Just do what's comfy for you

There's always biscuits and teething rusks etc which are kinda mushy and less likely to be a choking hazard. So long as she feeds herself -something- I wouldnt' worry

Oh boy - tell me about it with the teething. Tallon cut 5 at once before, I wish he'd cut them ALL at once and be done with it. The nappies are driving me mental at the moment, and this is all for just 1 tooth (as far as I can see anyway!).

OK.. must go sleep. See you guys tomorrow!

Hi girls!

Em - at this age I don't think you have to worry too much about whether you should still be mashing or not. At five it's a bit of a different story! Plus, kids with those kinds of problems at that age usually have it because of other issues as well (can't handle getting messy, esp hands, bit of tension in the household, etc, etc). Or so I believe. I watched a few shows on kids with problems and most with eating problems were exactly the same.

As for how I prepare Lucy's food, well, breakfast is weetbix (mushy with water and a bit of EBM) and then some toast with vegemite, cut into fingers (with crusts). Morning tea is some water and a rice/corn cake. Lunch is either leftover risotto or pasta (I cut the pasta up a bit), an avocado sandwich (cut into triangles, but with the crusts - Lucy's favourite parts!), some fruit (none peeled, but usually cut into hand sized pieces, unless it's something like grapes or blueberries, which she eats as is) and water. She will then have a biscuit some time during the afternoon if she's hungry. Dinner is either leftovers or I make up some vegetables with meat (like sausage cut up, or mince, or small pieces of chicken), some more fruit and then some yoghurt. She also has 4 bf a day. Lucy is a pig!!!

As far as fruit goes, atm I really like giving her stone fruit, with the stone removed, cut into quarters. She can hold it easily, it's really soft and she can chew and suck the juice out of it. Lucy has now progressed to biting off the edges and swallows skin and all, but if you're worried about choking, they mainly seem to suck out the juice and pulp rather than 'eat' it, if that makes any sense. I used to start the grapes for her by biting off the top and she'd just chew it and spit out the skin when she was done. Banana is an easy one too.

Well done to Abby with all of her teeth!!! And Tallon too, of course. Lucy still has only the two and no more in sight.

Well, must be off. Work to do and housework as well. MIL from hell coming over this evening, oh joy. Always like to make sure it looks like I'm super-Mum when she's coming over...

Thanks Liz and Jen for the info.

Well ive put down a "drop sheet" and she is sitting 30cm away from me eatinga banana..not all smushed up, just broken in half. Shes doing great, im nervous but its going ok. Shes so happy with herself. Oh no! i just looked up and smiled at her and she started laughing with banana in her mouth. shes making "mmmm mmmm mmm" moises. haha how cute.

Jen- whats the rice/corn cake you give Lucy and how does she go with it? Is it one of those round things? kinda flat and lumpy?

Liz- what sort of cereal do you give Tallon? We are bored with wheet bix but i dont know what esle i could give her.

Well we had some trouble last night. It was about 2am when she woke up, screaming. Tim got up to her, but she still carried on (its usualy just a call for the dummy). She got in our bed and went crazy, tossing and turning, kicking, kept waking up screaming and crying. Gave her some panadol and bonjela after a little while and that did the trick. Felt a new tooth when i was putting the bonjela on. Poor little thing. She was back to sleep at about 3:15 and then at some time tim managed to put her back into her cot.

Another question: how much do your babies sleep during the day?

Emz - I give him baby muesli, occassionaly weetbix, but mainly muesli, and I add some apple or something that I've prepared and frozen into icecubes. I defrost the fruit, add cereal and water and heat it up a bit in the microwave. Sorry to hear about the rough night.. I hope the tooth cuts through and Abby gets some relief! We actually had a fantastic night last night! He slept from about 9.30/10.00 (didn't look at the clock) until 5am! Then he had a feed... oh actually it wasn't THAT fantastic.. he did a MASSIVE teething poo at 5am, and I had to change him. blerk. I was gagging the whole way (how will I cope when I'm pg??!). But the sleep was great

Jen - gosh - she IS a pig! LOL. Poor Tallon, doesn't get that much food. But then he's still very much a booby boy, so gets lots of b/f's. I think I've been worried about choking coz he cut so many teeth at once, that he immediately started biting off chunks of food iykwim. So I've had to watch him closely. Altho now he manages the chunks quite well. hehe.

OMG... now i know what i have to do to to get everyone in here......i have to leave... HA HA.

I have briefly read your posts but will do so properly once kiddies are in bed tonight and endevour to post also.

We are all well here. Brad has 8 sleeps till big school, Liam has worked out in the last week how to climb stairs and has taken a few steps behind a walker. I think thats the exciting stuff, so i will fill you in on the rest later.

LOL Kas - yeah - go away! Wow at Brad starting school! My niece starts this year, mum's going down to canberra to see her off. hehe. I must remember to get her something to give her.

Kas - hi!!! Glad to have you back. Yay at Liam walking behind a walker. OMG our first March buddies bday is so close! What is everyone planning for the big day? I bet you can't believe Brad will be at school next week... Time just flies by. My gf's twin girls start next week too. Seems only yesterday she was pg. *Sigh* I bet that's how quickly it'll be for Lucy too.

Liz - With all those teeth I'm not surprised Tallon is good at chunks. Lucy somehow tears her food apart. Not quite sure how. How many bfs does Tallon have? Phew at the 5am poo! Lucy has been doing a few middle-of-the-night poos. Very annoying, means she wakes up not very happy and takes ages to get her back down. Hope you don't get bad m/s!!

Em - yeah, the rice/corn things you're thinking of sound like what she has. Likes corn better than rice. LOL at the banana, what an adventurous Mummy you're becoming!! Lucy has two naps, usually a short one at about 9:30am for 40 mins and then a long one in the afternoon, anytime from 1:30pm until 3pm when she goes down, for up to 2 hrs.

Must go, dinner is ready!

Jen - b/f's - ummm... no idea! Lemme think. ok... start with a possible 5am feed, then one when around 7.30 (after taking dh to the station)... breakfast... feed to sleep around 9.30/10ish. When he wakes up, he has a play, then some lunch (depends how long he sleeps tho) .. has sippy cup of water with lunch. Might have a small b/f drink. Feed to sleep around 2ish? Couple more small feeds/drinks before dinner.. has dinner around 6.30, plays with DH when he comes home.. feed to sleep around 9 (if I'm lucky LOL.. sometimes 9.30 or 10.00). Sometimes wakes for midnight feed (comfort more than anything tho). So thats.... 5 or 6 big feeds, with a few 'drinks' inbetween, and has his sippy cup throughout the afternoon. Wow! I've never counted it before! LOL.

ETA: actually he sometimes has a small sleep around 5ish. It depends how long his sleeps have been through the day. I don't mind that he has a late bed time... DH would never see him otherwise - he doesn't get home until about 7.30 each night

Hi all,

well i have finally got all my things i wanted to get done after getting back from Hols. Tayneesha has been ok lately but is teething badly she has heaps of teeth coming through at once, she has her two bottom, two top, two sides through already and down the bottom now more are coming as well as the top :eek: ..... Poor little thing. Suprisingly though she has been fine during the night time, i ahev just been giving her nurofen before bed.

She use to go to bed at 7.7.30pm but i think she has her times confused with Perth as she is not going to be until 8.30 - 9pm now, doesn't bother me though as she sleeps in until 8-8.30am i love my sleep and she must too!

Food wise, she has the following during the day:

Breaky - weetbix with formula and some toast

morning tea - formula or cruskit or something similar

Lunch - gave her sandwiches with ham yesterday and she just threw them on the floor ..... then i tryed some nectarine she sucked it and then threw on the floor so i went back to the normal stewed apple and a yoghurt. She sometimes has vegemite sandwiches which she likes but god she can be fussy!!!! :frown:

Afternoon tea - Bottle and some berries or fruit in a tommee tippee net thing that she sucks on she loves it as they are cold.

Dinner - she will not have anything but veges or fruit and a yoghurt!

Is this normal as everyone seems to be having alot more success than me thats for sure, maybe she is taking longer than others. She is growing fine and as happy as larry so i'm not too concerned but it is annoying for me as i wish she was like Lucy Jen eats everything you lucky thing you!! WELL DONE TO LUCY THOUGH what a big girl now!!!!:biggrin:

Gotta laugh i am tyoing on the computer and the laptop is next to me on a lower shelf so Tayneesha is pretending to type as well on the keyboard, so damm cute. She copies so much now it is really funny blowing raspberry sound with her mouth and puts her hands up when she does it, her new thing obviously, she thinks she is funny cause she laughs as well.

JEN - for Tayneesha's birthday i think we will just have a family day and invite a few of her playmates and parents along, maybe go to a place up here called mudddies it is a big water park on the esplanade and has heaps of things to do etc. If we don't do that then might just have a picnic with DH somewhere exciting for Tayneesha so she can play, or go to an animal park/farm for her. Not doing a really big thing. I will make a number one cake though! I have bought the womens weekly cake book with numbers etc. OMG it is so close really isn't it when you think about it!!!

Liz - You will cope just fine when you are pregnant i am at the moment coming up 20 weeks, the hardest part was the first trimester. Taht was hard to be honest with you but i am fine now and have heaps of energy and going great guns! Somehow are bodies just cope with it. Make sure you DH is supportive and helps as well cause i would have been exhausted if DH didn't at least help a little bit. LOL

Emz - Yeah for the bannana!!! A HUGE CLAP so cute isn't it when they are so proud of themselves. Tayneesha has a morning sleep usually for an 1hr and then an afternoon sleep for an hour or two depends she sometimes has a long one in the morn and a short one in the arvo. Morning slep is about 10-10.30am and afternoon is about 2.00 -2.30pm if that helps.

Any other ideas of what i could give Tayneesha as finger foods as i am stuck on that one, she has toast fingers, cruskits, saos, arrowroot biscuits etc any other ideas. Fruit she will not have???? Only mashed or pureed!!! BOO HOO!

Anyway must be off, going to do some shopping for new baby, research really on prices and bargains IUKWIM!!!!

Have a great day everyone

Jen

Ok girls, i feel has though time either stands still or flies by at a zillion miles an hour. ATM its the later one.

Didn't get back in last night as Liam was irritable and a complete basket case from about 6ish. He had about half an hours sleep that morning and then would not settle. He has a small lump that is hard in the bottom of his gum kinda where your tongue joins IYKWIM that over the last few days has gotten bigger. I was worried it was a tooth growing in the wrong place. I gave in at 7 or so and gave him panadol after he didn't really eat dinner, i even tried an early b/f but that didn't work either. So by 9.30 i had had enough and called GP access (after hours Dr at the hospital) and got an appointment for 10.12pm. Got down there and he started chatting to everyone and then have a hissy fit and then be fine again. This went on for about half an hour. The Dr saw him and said he was fine- thought he might be teething early?!?!?! he is 11 months!!!Hello!!! and said it felt like a tooth mooving up but where it is i highly doubt it. He didn't even bother to check his ears for infection as i mentioned he had been shoving his thumb in and wriggling it about. He did say that a mothers intuition is usually right so if it persisted over the next few days to go to normal gp. Problem being he was filling in for my GP so that idea seemed useless. So we get home at 11 and he still wouldn't b/f properly and stayed awake till 12.45am. Today he seems ok, not eating as much as usual, or sleeping as long and a little sooky but much more bearable.

Anyway, today he did 20 steps behind the walker...i missed it, he was at a friends and i had just ducked home to get something (all of 20meters) she got out the video camera and was taping the next attempt, however it was not as good but he did do it a few other times that i saw. This morning he stood unaided in of all places our bed for a good 8-10 seconds a few times and then later on on the floor once for 15 seconds. He doesn't realise he is doing it though as he starts to look at something or holds something and gets distracted and when he realises he sits down or holds back on. He has mastered the stairs also, just not going down. He tried today to go forwards needless to say i was not impressed.

As for his birthday, i feel as though i need to match it with Brads with immediate family and close friends. I think we had about 25 adults and a few kids at Brads so i guess it will be the same except now there are more kids. I have the cake planned...i love decorating/designing!!!! I think i know what we will buy him but he really doesn't need much seeing as though xmas has just been and we have toys and clothes from Brad.

We almost have a house slab. It is ready to be done once the footings and pre slab is approved/certified.

I have my perm. work days now so that will put some routine back into things which will be good as school starts next week.

ok time to feed Liam and put him to bed, i think Brad can go too its way past his bedtime.

Hopefully i will get to post/check in more often than recently

Hi girls

Kas - poor Liam, doesn't sound like he had a good day at all. Did you figure out what the lump was? Sounds bizarre. Yay on the walking and the standing!! Won't be long until he's tearing around under his own steam!! Who knows how they figure out stairs? Lucy can go up and down if it isn't too steep.

Jen - Lucy tries to pick up everything, finger food or not! She has basically what you've described and fruit. If Tayneesha likes berries in the net thing then she'll probably eat them whole if they're soft. Look out for the mess though! She also likes to pick up pasta and ccoked vegetables. Sandwiches are a favourite for her. Just wholemeal bread with avocado on it cut into quarters. Most of the things I give her end up on the floor at least once, I just pick them up, dust them off and if they're okay I give them back to her. I figure since she's crawling around and sticking things in her mouth it won't make much difference if her food was on the floor for an instant. Wow, I can't believe you're half way through your pg already!!

Must go, Lucy is down for a nap and I have some work to do for DP.

Hi all.
    Goodness aren't these babies growing fast!!!
    Jen13 ~ My two older boys ate everything they picked up off the floor. MIL throws food straight into the bin if it touches the floor, go figure, esp. when DS2 eats dirt!!
    Jen ~ I am having terrible trouble with DS2, he is the fussiest child ever I think. All he will eat ATM is chicken nuggets and honey sandwiches. It is my fault because as soon as he was on solids and he didn't like something I never retried him on it. I am paying for it now. DS1 and Cailan are great eaters, they eat everything and that is because I persevered. Just keep at it, otherwise Tayneesha might get fussier and fussier and only eat chicken nuggets!
    Kas ~ I hope Liam is feeling better, nothing worse than ear infections. DS1 suffered from them alot, but not the other 2. Also, you think he is late in teething...a friend of mine has a little boy a month older than DS2 and he didn't get any teeth until he was 15 months old. He just mashed his sandwiches and fruit with his gums. I am sure his little teeth will come through soon. Esp. if he is pulling at his ears, teeth and ears go hand in hand usually.

Well, my little Cailan isn't walking by himself yet but a girl from church's little boy, born the same day, is taking about 10 steps in a row. Cailan is walking along the furniture a bit though. He crawls like lightning too! DS1 is making real progress with the toilet training. He took himself off to the toilet yesterday and did a poo and tried to wipe his own bottom! Very messy, there was a pooey handprint on the wall where he helped himself off the toilet and we had to change his undies. But it was a success none the less. DS2 is being fussy, but he isn't going into the bathroom and playing in the shower anymore and we haven't been closing the door. He still plays in the dogs water if it is in reach, I guess I should be thankful he only plays in it and doesn't drink it!!!
    Well, we are off to Bundaberg for the weekend, my Uncle is 50 and all my family will be there, my cousins I haven't seen in 7 years and my mum and grandma who I haven't spoken to much since we have moved. Plus we are going to break the DTD drought, staying at a motel. No PIL's to overhear us. It is going to be a great weekend and a nice break away. Best be going and packing the bags, leaving early in the morning. Take care all and hope to catch up with you soon.
    Last edited by jimssteph21; January 25th, 2007 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Spelling

Hi everyone,

I have to run to the bank, just wanted to say that Abby had the baby muesly for breakfast today and yesterday and OMG she thinks its the best thing ever!!

Yesterday she had strawberries, broken in half but NOT mushed (yay me for letting the girl eat) and today she had a sandwich for lunch- most of it ended up on the floor, but she didnt choke so im happy!! Im still thinking about the rice cakes!
    I will be back later, there have been sooo many posts in here since my last one... and it wasnt that long ago!!

BTW:- I GOT A JOB!!!

Oh and im still waiting for Af to show up so much for my 28 day text book cycle... today is day 30! (hurry up!)

Oh yay Emz! I was wondering how your interview went! Congratulations!

and yay for Abby getting stuck into her food! Tallon's food still ends up all over the floor, so I have to endeavour to spoon feed him for him to actually eat enough. hehehe.

Congrats Em, on your new job!!! What will you be doing? Hope AF shows up soon. Couldn't be pg already could you??? Good on Abby for liking her food, Lucy's spends at least some of the time on the floor b4 it gets into her mouth.

Liz - I find it hard to keep Lucy's hands out of the bowl while I'm trying to spoon feed her. I give her some finger food at the same time, but it doesn't always work.

Steph - have a great time away, although sounds like you definitely will with a motel stay in there! Wink, wink. Yay at DS1 and the toilet training, although ewww at the handprint on the wall! With Braxton he may just naturally be a bit fussier, I wouldn't blame yourself. I have a gf who has 3 kids and the eldest two were treated exactly the same when it came to food. One eats very well, the other will barely touch anything new, very suspicious!

Kas - since you used to be a swimming instructor I meant to ask you, when a little one can kick and paddle in the water, how long until they can use a back bubble normally? Lucy has great movement in the water (so the swimming instructor says), but she's heaps younger than any of the other kids who can kick and paddle so I'm wondering if she'll have to wait ages b4 being able to use a bubble. I guess she needs to be able to hold her head up out of the water herself? How can I encourage that?

Must go, bath time!

We already use a bubble and floaties for the first part of the lesson.. and im almost letting go of him already LOL. Poor kid swallows so much water tho.. but he's getting better.

All of the places i have taught (2 private and sport and recreation)at don't use bubbles, just noodles or dumbell things as support. The theory behind it is that so many kids become reliant that they fear water unless it is on them.
    Bradley never had a bubble only us holding him or a noodle, it helps develop the confidence they need for you not to hold them and they are free to move arms and experiment themselves, obviously not at this age though unless water confidence lessons were started much earlier.
    The prob i find with a bubble is because they are so bouyant it actually tips bubs face in the water and is a much greater force than they can resist by holding their hold up so in turn the face is in the water. Holding her head up will come in time, iw ill double check my rference material but i can't think of anything off hand to encourage it.
    It is hard to comment on when would be the right time, it would depend on her individual skill/ movements. Has the instructor mentioned it, do you use them at the centre you go to. The best thing to do woud be to ask him/her.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast