Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Babies Born March 2006 #6

Yeah Kas - i didn't want to use the floaties or anything, but they're only really for the first part of the lesson. Then we take them off for the jumping in bit, and from then we encourage them to swim back to the side etc and hang on.. all without the floats.

Other older babies/kids aren't using the floaties or anything, so I'm guessing they ditch them after a time? And they're using pool noodles and things. So maybe it's only waterbabies that we use them just while they get used to the water?? I've no idea how it all works. LOL. Were you teaching the baby water familiarisation classes?

Oh Kas, that's really interesting. The swim school we go to uses varying numbers of bubbles to give less/more support and they seem to be taking them off the kids once they can 'swim' without them, or decreasing the number of bubbles bit by bit. Atm Lucy doesn't use anything. One of the reasons for using the back bubbles might be because the kids are in the pool without Mum/Dad once they're confident enough. Who knows. I'm kind of looking forward to Lucy using them 'cause it means she can get the hang of moving around without me propelling her. How did you transition Brad from being held to moving around on his own?

Hi girls,

well been hectic lately. I have booked Tayneesha into daycare once a week she starts on thursday so that i can getthings organised for bubba #2 and also so that i have a break on my hands when bubba #2 arrives as it is hard for us as we have no family where we live etc, so we have no other choice at the moment. Anyway had a look around the daycare and it is great i am very impressed and best of all it is accross the road from us, a brand spancing new one with new everything!!! Yeah! Nappies, food all of it is included in the price of $55.00 per day!

Anyway enough of that babble, Tayneesha is stil not walking, crawling around like a speed train but stands alot by herself now and wants to walk. She is speedy gonzalous on her walker thats for sure!

I have not put her into swimming lessons yet, should i be? She goes into our pool at home heaps and loves it, she kicks her legs and arms while i hold her under the belly and all of that but i have not put her head under at all. Maybe i should start her?

As for hats as well, does everyone elses little ones pull their hat off! I have tried everything to elastic under her chin you name it and she still pulls it off. I use sunscreen as well though but i woudl love it if she kept her hat on at least! Any ideas:frown:

She is going to bed during the day now by herself, i just put her in the cot and she will settle herself, Yeah, good for me with #2 on the way! At night though still has to have mummy but i can rock her and cuddle her for 15-20mins ( i like to do that) and put her in the cot awake (half and she will settle. My only prob at the moment is she is waking up at 5.30am in the morning now!!!:eek: What is with that, she sleeps through from 7.30-8pm till then.... Why Why Why?

Yeah EMZ on your new job and for giving abby finger food!!!

Jimsteph - i hope all gets better with DS #2 Tayneesha seems to be ok now, i think it was more to do with teeth than anything. She still isn't that keen on meat though, she is still healthy and happy so not too concerned at all really! Daycare might help put in the department..Lol Hope you had a great long weekend as well, sounds like you would have its good to have a break now and then!

Everyne else - Hi all, hope everything going really well with Bubs and they are all progressing into little toddler angels!!! Lol

Well best be off talk later

Jen
    :biggrin:
    BTW - Picked up a bargain change table and cot with new mattress for $250.00 its in my pics on my homepage!

Hey Jen, sounds like you are going well and back into the swing of things at home. Lucy is good at keeping hats, shoes and sunnies on, but I think it might be because she's been wearing them since she was born, pretty much (except for the sunnies). I do make a bit of a fuss of her though, tell her she's a good girl and how pretty she looks. If she goes to take it off, maybe distract her with another toy that she really likes. She might just get used to it. Sounds like it won't be long until Tayneesha is off on her own!

Lucy took half a dozen steps in a row on the weekend! She now tries walking to everything rather than crawling. If it doesn't stick and she plonks down on her backside she crawls off still. Great for putting her in dresses now!

Must be off, bit of work to do for DP and then lunch time. I start back with a client for one-two days a week after next week, so I'm organising care for Lucy for then. Atm I'm probably going to use a nanny, but she's a friend of mine and has another bubba Lucy's age which should be fun for them. Bit tricky to do childcare centre as I'd have to drive to one and a lot of my work will be at home. More need supervision than anything. Hope everyone is having a great day!

Tallon used to be good with his hat & sunnies - but he pulls em off now. Shoes - he's never worn any LOL. I thought they werent supposed to wear shoes until they're walking? He just wears socks We were given some shoes and I tried them on him the other day, and they're too small LOL. Oh well. But when I watch him walk, he's still figuring out how to place his feet.. so I don't want him to have shoes just yet. As adorable as the tiny shoes are. hehe.

Well - I pretty much have the go ahead to quit bookkeeping all together. In fact DH wants me to, and I have no problems doing it! LOL. So once again, I'll probably tell everyone that I'll finish this financial year for them, and then that's it. No exceptions. Plus we start TTC'ing this coming cycle, and there's no way I'm working with 2 bubs. I just want to work on our online business from home.

Hiya everyone.

Well today was my first day at work. Abby spent the day at my sisters with all the kids and she had a good day. Was very happy to see me when i got home. I got the "daddy" treatment, lol she went crazy and started kissing me and laughing etc.

I had a sook last night, and again thismorning while i was cutting up her strawberries. I feel so bad leaving her, but i just have to keep saying she is safe and happy with my sister and her kids and that after the training it will be mostly after hours stuff and she can spend that time with her daddy.

Shes been a rather difficult baby, but with 3 teeth just broken and breaking thru its not suprise. She chucks the most nasty tantrums half the time when we change her nappy or try to dress her... and she just will not go to sleep at night. How does everyone else get their babies to sleep??

Liz- good luck with the TTC.

No TTC for us, i might add. I just dont think I can do it again. Everytime i think seriously about having to go thru it all again- the GD, having another c/section, not being in controll, not knowing if there is something wrong with the baby... I freaked out on the weekend and I cant do it again. Even tho tim has just got a pay rise and i have a job (its only temp) we cant afford the private health and are thinking about pulling the pin... then i have to face going back to that hospital again and that makes it a million times worse. A private midwife ive been chatting to thinks i would get a lot out of pre pregnancy councelling... but yeah that will cost money and who knows if its going to solve anything.... it wont stop me from getting GD again and it wont stop me from having to have another c/section and who is to say that the next baby wont have the same "abnormal" marker Abby had and they might try to say its got downs.... and if so my line of thinking is going to be "we got lucky last time, its not going to happen twice"...

ok enough over reacting and doom and gloom from me.

I spose these feelings could be hormonal... AF showed up! lol

NAPPIES ON SALE FOR $30.00 AT ANY WOLLIES STORE, GET EM NOW!!!!

Just had to let you all no if you didn't.

BBL

Jen :biggrin:

Huggies Jen? Thanks for the info!

Oh Em, it doesn't sound like you should be putting yourself under TTC pressure just yet. You poor love, fancy dealing with leaving Abby to work, AF and the worry of what another pg might be like all at once! Why don't you leave making any decision until at least some of the other things have settled down? You might change your mind later, or not. Either way, you're a good Mum and doing the best you can for your family! As you can see from my ticker, we're not hurrying along to the TTC journey just yet. But I do go to and fro in my head about when would be the right time, etc, etc. I know DP is definitely intent on waiting so I don't think I'd be eager enough to manage to convince him.

Maybe you should try the counselling and see if you feel differently afterwards?

Thanks Jen, and yeah, im not making any decisions... im just gonna stay away from the whole issue of ttc as i get too worked up and end up in tears. I guess thats telling me something eh?

Im sooo tired. Abby has just gone down to bed, my eyes are hanging out of my head. We have got to find a way of getting this girl to settle. Please, any tips would be great. We useto give her a cuddle for a few mins in our bed and then move her to the cot when shes sleeping... but now she just wont have any part of it. The last few nights we have had to go for a drive till shes asleep and then put her in the cot- this as a last resort. I sooo dont want to have to do this every night. I dont know what else to do. How pathetic

So, to the other Jen, thanks for the hot tip, are they Huggies?

Oh Emz. It's early days yet.. plenty of time to get used to the idea of TTCing. I understand why you would be nervous about the whole thing, but I guess every pg is different. Is it definite that you will have GD again next time? And would you consider not having the downs tests done at all? I remember you both made such a loving resolute decision not to terminate regardless, I'm assuming you would be the same again... so perhaps don't have the tests and the stress that comes with them? We don't do the NT test for the reason that we'd never terminate. Just a thought. But anyway - you take your time, and I agree perhaps some counselling can help you get things sorted in your head.. you soulnd like me.. I would have all these whatifs etc buzzing around my head.

As for getting Abby to sleep - I'd say it'll all settle down again soon. Babies have awful habits of being 'painful' every now and then! It feels like it will never end, but before you know it you're looking back at what a bad week that was! I've been meaning to order a copy of The Wonder Weeks. Just reading the first bit on Amazon made me feel better about these unsettled periods that bubs go through.

I still b/f Tallon to sleep - and I'm DREADING him self-weaning when I fall pg (I'm hoping he doesn't!).. coz I have no idea how we're going to get him to sleep without boob! LOL. I say, do what works. Sometimes I have to lie him on our bed and lie with him until he falls asleep (boob doesn't always work hehe). I can't wait until he's in a big bed of his own, so I can do this with him, but leave him in his own bed instead of ours!

Well, I had a great day of gardening today! Yay! LOL. I love gardening I so rarely get to do it. And this place had empty garden beds just waiting for me! So I got stuck into it today. I've now got all my herbs planted, and we're attempting sweet corn and pumpkin too. hehe. Theres a few other things I want, but it's the wrong season. I also pruned a couple of bushes, and planted a stack of new flowers in the garden bed along the back of the garden. I've still got to weed and mulch the front garden beds. I've got to try and do all this before falling pg.. coz then I want to avoid all the mulch dust and stuff. So if I can get the garden the way I want it, I just have to water it, and occasionally weed while pg. Yay! (oh and harvest all my yummy food ) I love having a house with a garden! heheheh.

Take care everyone. DH is setting up the computer at the tv so I can watch Heroes. Cya!

Hi girls

Liz - LOL at your gardening. If you run out of things to do in your garden, you're welcome to come here - it's in desperate need of a workover! Tallon might not wean when you fall pg, there are plenty of Mums who keep bf through pg and the no of bfs he has in a day, I don't think he'll go off you that quickly. What does the ABA say?

Em - sorry love, completely missed responding to you on settling Abby. I cuddle Lucy to sleep still. She has a bf after her bath and dressing her (which we do every night and have done since she came home from hospital, kind of a routine). She's hanging out for the bf and is very stroppy until she's fed. After that, she gets a second wind for about 20 mins or so and DP plays with her on the floor. Then, at 7:30ish, I pick her up, give her a dummy and cuddle her. She knows straight away that's the sleeping cue and cuddles until she drops off. Then I put her in her cot. I do it for her naps during the day as well. She went through a horrendous time a few weeks ago for a while where she'd wake up (sometimes several times through the night) and need me to cuddle her, which often ended up with her in bed with us. That seems to have passed on the whole, but she still has the occasional night (usually if she's gone to bed early) where she wakes at 1am and thinks it's party time.

What do you do for nap time during the day?

What time are you trying to get her down? Maybe leaving her up to play a bit longer would wear her out a bit more? Or has she just eaten/had a bottle? Lucy is full of energy right after feeding, but wears out after a little bit.

The only other thing I'd suggest is cuddling her on the couch, rather than your bed, and waiting until she's well and truly asleep before transferring her to her cot. That way, you can watch TV (down low and with the lights off) and won't notice how long it's taking.

I know there are lots of techniques that involve leaving them in their own cot and various amounts of crying, but you sound a bit like me and not inclined to let her cry.

Like Liz says, I think this is just a stage and they grow out of it. I didn't know where my wonderful sleeper had gone for a while there and was desperate to know where I was going wrong!

Good luck, hope you're better rested today.

morning girls,

LIZ - We did our garden as well on the weekend. DH did it mostly but it looks fabo now. Its amazing what a tidy up can do to the look of your house..... I want to do a garden/herb patch as well but haven't had the chance too yet. Will be doing some renos out the back so no point till that done etc. Gardening day must have been in the air for alot of people last week.

EMZ - Yeah they are Huggies, i went and bought 3 boxes for Tayneesha and 3 boxes of newborns for bubba #2 when it comes. Find out soon if a boy or girl!

:hugs: to you emz as it must be frustrating at the moment for you and also being so tired as well doesn't help thats for sure. TTC i think you will no if you are ready or not one day, it doesn't matter really if you only have one child the most important thing in life is to enjoy it and be happy. You are blessed with one beautiful little girl at the moment and who no's but down the track another one may come along. Maybe seek some advise from a medical practitioner on all of your worries and fears that may help to calm your nerves a little.

In regards to Abby and sleeping is she on solids three times a day? If so what does she have? With Tayneesha she has dinner at 5pm veges and yogurt or similar, not into meat just yet :frown: then has a bath which DH does and dresses her for bed. Then she plays for a bit, gets read a story and in bed by 7.30pm with a bottle and she will go to sleep.

Maybe Abby has got more teeth coming through and having a really rough time with them, you could try Nurofen for infants and see if that helps for the pain... Also Tayneesha is having a long sleep during the morning and a shorter one in the arvo which i think also helps too. This could work, try and cut her sleep down in the arvo so she is really tired by night and she should just zonk out. Last but not least maybe call your health nurse to get some advise?

Mabe she is at the tantrum stage and trying it on you, then you have to do the controlled crying which is terrible i must say but i did do it and it worked a treat for me. It took two nights and then she was over it and realised that it didn't work on mummy! Hee hee hee. I was in tears though as well as i felt so bad but i do recommend it. I didn't want to do it but i had no choose, slee or no sleep i opted for sleep! Just my opinion each to their own though. No judging at all on any one.

Anyway best be off, Tayneesha needs my attention and the phone has ben ringing hot today thats for sure, oh so much to do so little hours.

Jen

Yeah - gardening was great! I've got a strip of sunburn above my jeans now tho.. coz my t-shirt rode up while I was bending down Stupid sun.

I watched a show on ABC2 the other night.. it was talking about cortisol (the stress hormone) and the effect it has on babies. It was talking about how babies learn to deal with stress (even in utero how it affects them) and how it can affect their learning abilities and everything later in life. It was really interesting. The experiences they have in that first year basically wire up their brain as to how they deal with situations. It showed the effect of childcare etc too. Anyway.. after watching that, I definitely won't ever resort to controlled crying.. whatever the tantrums. heheh. I wouldn't have thought they'd really tantrum at this age yet anyway? Tallon only cries when something's wrong, or if he's scared or something.

I agree with you, Liz. No offence, Jen! Every Mum does her best when it comes to her bub and there's no doubt that when you're sleep-deprived you try whatever you can.

Lucy doesn't really know how to misbehave either. She gets really upset and wants me really badly the more upset she gets. I can hear it when it goes beyond a whinge/cry and gets a bit hysterical (not that I leave her to cry). I figure it is because of the attachment she's formed to me, since I'm the one who's with her all of the time. DP says 'Mummy fixes everything'.

She's still figuring out what she is and isn't allowed to do in the simplest of things, so I don't think she is capable of throwing a tantrum yet. She thinks it's a bit funny when I say 'no' to certain things, but is getting the message. She gets removed from whatever she isn't supposed to touch and doesn't like that much. She will get a bit cranky if something is taken off her, but for a second, that's all.

Liz, what did the program say about childcare? Risking starting an argument here!
    Last edited by Jennifer13; January 30th, 2007 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Added a sentence

They were measuring the levels of cortisol (dont really know the spelling) of both mum, dad & bub throughout the day, studying how people deal with certain situations. It's generally believed childcare increases the level of cortisol, so the child is on a higher stress level throughout the day. But the child they showed actually went against that and had normal levels of cortisol, and they put it down to it being a really good centre with plenty of one on one time. So the child actually was very comfortable. But the stress levels were highest for the MUM on the days the baby was in care. And then they talked about whether this could impact on the child. Another interesting thing was one of the fathers, his highest stress days were the ones where he had to be the carer of the baby. They said it's very common for the fathers to be more relaxed on the days that they work or whatever, but be more stressed on the days they're with bub, and they were talking about whether this could impact the relationship between him and the baby. It was really interesting. DH is like that.. I think he still doesn't feel that competent when it comes to looking after Tallon. Hate to think how he'd go without me around at all! LOL.

Hi girls,

No one has offended me at all Everyone is different in their ways of parenting and thoughts, everyone is allowed an opinion, no offence at all taken from any one.

Tayneesha is a very very good baby i can not complain, but she did go through the stage that they have tantrums (as per reading material) to try it on ie - see how far she could get her own way. I did the controlled crying as my sil advised me to and it worked for me. Alot of people i know have done it as well. I do get comments all the time of how happy Tayneesha is so i can't see that it affected her at all. Once again no offence taken and each to their own opinions. At the end of the day no one can proove anything and there is so many different views and thoughts on all sorts of things, i just go with motherly instinct and it works fine, i'm a very laid back person as it is anyway.LOL

With regard to childcare it is a proven fact that it is good for the baby/toddler for social skills. The daycare that Tayneesha will go to is a family orientated one so i can go their any time of the day and play with her and sit with her etc. So i am happy about that as well.

I watched that program as well it was on a while ago on ABc and was a running series of all different kids and things, it was interesting i must say.

Anyway i agree with you both about the controlled crying and i did not want to do it but i had no other option and it did honestly work for me. I really was exactly like you liz and Jen but converted.LOL. Everyone is different though i give things a go and if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out try something else.

Anyway gotta fly, looking at buying blocks of land and building etc etc, so have phone calls, emails, faxes you name it coming in every direction :eek: LOL.

WE ALL MUST BE SUPER MUMS!!!!

Jen

I think if you find a good care centre, it's good for them (except maybe for all the colds and things they catch! LOL). I have no plans of putting my kids in care at all We'll just socialise with other families ourselves. And I'll put him in preschool when the time comes.

Supermums - you betcha! I can't believe we're trying for another baby! LOL. Ah well... just gotta do it, and enjoy it

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast