Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born May 2007 #9

Kristen, I've just decided to wean Nicholas off wrapping too............I'm going to start during the day before we attempt nights. I have a feeling it may take awhile LOL! How are you doing it? I was thinking of trying the one arm out method first, and see how that goes. Good luck hun

Good luck today Dan, I hope you come home with some wonderful tips and tricks to get Olivia to sleep

When i resettle Mason at night, I roll him onto his side. works almost every time providing i keep my hand heavily on his top arm. Aquarium music works well too.

Good luck Dan...im thinking of you!

mason only woek 3 times before 4am last night...that is a HUGE improvement. Then we chucked him in bed with DH and I went on to the couch. I HATE cosleeping

We are all sick with really bad colds at the moment and all of us are on anti biotics again!

Re: settling. I just pick him up, bounce around the room and pat him hard on the butt till he stops crying, then make it softer and softer. Last night was terrible though and this didn't work, it's soooo hit and miss.

Danni-Get well soon!

Dan - I'm at a loss at night too - during the day I just go in and pat her tummy and say "shhhhh time for a nap now" which is her cue from the lounge to the cot - I repeat it over and over and no matter where we are if I say time for a nap now - she knows what it means.At night though, I'm not sure if I should use the same cue? I tried just patting her at her 9pm wake up but she was literally inconsolable (sp?) so I tried the walk around the room - singing a gentle lullaby, cuddles etc but nothing would calm her down so on the booby she went
    Then at 12 and 430 i just fed her too but she isn't feeding well during the day now so its all just screwed up....arrrgghhh and how can I cut her night feeds if she's hungry at night now that her days are all messed up. During the day I decide to settle etc - but at night when Im exhausted it definately is easier to feed her because Im so damn exhausted.
    I want my get up once or twice a nighter back This is all beyond me right now.

On a brighter note - I've finished Izzy's paintings - will take some pics of her room in my gallery once she wakes up. Her room is defianately a work in progress. Its so cluttered and the furniture we have in there is useless.

What do you guys do with bubs soft toys? We have so many and I'm sick of them falling off her dresser thing and they just look messy - I have one of those chain things and also a mesh one but any others ideas??

Dan - good luck with sleep school. To re-settle Izzy I usually have to pick her up and cuddle her for a while - either on my shoulder or cradled in my arms, depending on her mood. She gets lots of bottom pats and head strokes while I walk around. Then I gradually get to the point where I can sit in the chair next to her cot and be still, then I put her back into bed and pat her again.

Danni - hope you feel all feel better soon.

Tan - I've got a big basket that I throw all of Izzy's toys into, then just drag out a few at a time for her to play with. I quite like those chains you can get that you hang from the ceiling or bookshelf or something that you clip all the toys onto as well.

So sorry to hear so many of you are still having sleep issues. Like Kristen, I've been blessed with an angel baby who once asleep for the night stays that way until morning, unless she needs a feed. I've found though over the last couple of weeks that Iz is now rolling over onto her tummy almost as soon as she's in her cot and sleeps on her tummy or side all night. She is getting off to sleep so much more easily that way too, and now that she's a superstar at rolling over, I'm happy to leave her that way.

Had an afternoon out today with DH - ILs came to babysit. Was nice to get out together and just be a couple for a day. Luckily she was a happy camper this time - we left her with them last week for all of 20 minutes and the poor munchkin screamed the whole time. She was great on the weekend for my mum while we were out at a wedding so hopefully I'll start being a bit happier about leaving her with other people more often.

Anyway, off to fertilise the garden (hmmmmm. Aren't you all jealous?!?!?!) Hope all bubbies have a good long sleep tonight. WA bubbies are struggling a bit in the heat at the moment I think.

Weve just gotten home and are exhausted. Olivia screamed the whole time we tried to settle her it was so hard. One thing that we are going to do is stopping everything all at once since we are going to have a horror of a time for the next few days so we thought (well it was suggested) that we do it all at once. So basically no more dummy, no wrap and bed when I say so so we wont have to wean her off the different things separately and go through this a few times. That's the plan anyway.
    Today she had two 40 minute sleeps and it took us 45 mins and 35 mins for her to settle and she wont resettle after she wakes up. It is going to be a really long haul because I hate hearing her cry. Guess this is going to take time.
    Thanks for the tips on resettling lovely ladies. I'm praying that tonight isn't too bad so I can get some sleep to tackle tomorrow.
    Well Im off to start the night time sleep battle.
    Hope everyone is doing a lot better than us.
    Catch up soon,
    Luv Dan.

Dan, the only way I got Blake off a wrap was to stop it cold. Although he is still sleeping like poo after it's gone, it's better n the long run I figure. Am contemplating a sleeping bag but now he can roll and half crawl I dunno if it will make a difference.
    Last edited by Ashlee; November 13th, 2007 at 08:25 PM.

Sez - I just went cold turkey with Mia and don't wrap her during the day now. She's still getting used to it as she cries for a lot longer when she first goes off to sleep and will more often than not wake up after 1 sleep cycle and cry, but I don't go into her and she usually falls back asleep within 5-10 mins again.

As for the question re: settling at night, if Mia does wake up I rarely, if ever, go into her. This only makes it much worse and much harder to settle her as her crying just gets more intense as she want to be up and about. 9 times out of 10 if I leave her, she'll have a sook and will be asleep again within 10 mins. I can count on one hand the number of times (since she's been about 7 weeks old) that it hasn't worked. I will never let her cry and emotional cry though where she gets really worked up about it - then I will always go in and try to settle her, but picking her up is always a last resort - I always try other methods first such as shhhing, patting, rolling onto her side/back etc.

Dan - sorry sleep school wasn't as productive as you might have hoped. I can understand why you want to go cold turkey rather than drag it all out. I honestly think that babies are what they are - some are good sleepers and some aren't and it doesn't matter a damn how we try to settle them. I know lots of family and friends take a harder line than I take with Izzy (if she won't go down after 10 minutes I simply pick her up and try again after 15 minutes or so) and they have all been fairly critical of my "softness", but I have a baby who sleeps through the night and has 2 or 3 good naps a day. I don't think its that I have any better technique - I'm just blessed with a good sleeping baby (my Mum loves telling me that because Iz is so good, Ned is going to be a monster!!). Sorry - that probably doesn't sound encouraging for you but what I'm trying to get at is you shouldn't feel that you're doing everything wrong. Livvy may just be one of those bubbies that is a difficult sleeper for the first however many months and then one day the switch will be flicked and you'll wonder where your sleeping princess came from!! I really hope you get a breakthrough soon.

Ash - Izzy is rolling in bed all the time too. She is always all over her cot - head up the wrong way, right up the top end, on her tummy - anything but how I put her down. At the moment its so hot here that for day sleeps I'm just putting her to bed in her nappy or a bodysuit, but at nights she's in a sleeping bag and she still seems to get to where she wants to be. Its much better too because at least I know in her nightly travels she is going to stay covered. I went in there the other day and she had flipped around and had her head under the blankets - terrified me and that was the end of blankets for us!

Hi All!

Sorry I have been MIA, have the house of sick here at the moment. Joey and Angus have colds, and my throat is now sore so i spose I am in for it - yay. I have been on e-bay all arve listing things to try and get rid of some c%#p around here (so I can buy more haha!!) I am selling my beloved hug-a-bub boohoo but I haven't used it in ages, and it is really hot here at the moment and having him up against me with the layers he gets really sweaty. So I have ordered an ergo (thanks Ash, got it from nurturebaby after I seen the great price that you got it in MCN thread!!) My hugbub on e-bay is already up to like $46 and has only been on there a few hours!!! I have also listed my pram and a few baby clothes, have to realise Angus is prob my last bubba, but it is so hard to get rid of my bubba stuff!!

Anyway, selfish post again, am going to have some panadol and go to bed.

*Michelle*

Michelle - Im sick too Its horrible, I felt so bad this arvo - it's beautiful here but I was freezing and slept with tissues up my nose all night - eewww not that I slept much! Here's hoping it passes quickly!

Quick one here because I do feel like death itself - I did my first half day at work today! My assistant principal called the other day and asked if I would be interested in doing half days so I thought why not! Mum brought Izzy up at recess so I fed her in the principals office and other than being sick and getting progressively worse thoughout the day it went fabulously! I had a lovely 3/4 grade!
    I've got a contact at another school asking if I wanted 3 hours tomorrow too!! I had to knock it back as I'm sick as a dog but it's nice to know I'm wanted! Bring on the Chrissy spending money!

Izzy is sleeping way better at night again - only waking at around 11-12 and then 4ish for a feed and straight back to sleep both times so thats much easier to cope with. She has 3 days sleeps, 2, one hour naps and one 1 1/2 -2 hour one in the midmorning! Mum gave her 3 teaspoons of pumpkin and carrot too today so here comesthe stinky poo train!

Hope you are all great - will chat again soon. xox

Michelle - hope you and the kids all start to feel better soon.

Tan - yay for Izzy's improved sleep. That's brilliant. Hopefully she'll keep at it and get those nights longer too. And that's great about work. Nice to know that you can get a few hours here and there to keep yourself amused - not to mention some lovely extra money.

Taking Iz to the doctor tomorrow morning. She's been really "off" since her immunisations last week and its just not normal for her - she's struggling to stay awake for 1.5 hours at a time during the day and while I'm enjoying all these lovely day sleeps, she's not herself so want to get her checked out.

hehe danni i just clicked youd changed your name as i was looking around for you. what happened to masons website - do you still have it? id love to see how he is doing!

hey lee, email me [email protected]
    I dont even have new pics on his website, but I will email you some

Waaaa Blake won't go to sleep. He's been dozing/fussing since 4am, UP since 5, and will not go back to sleep. I wrapped him just now, maybe him not being so mobile will help.

Hi everyone!!
    Got back yesterday from our trip away, we went to Clare and then down to Adelaide for nearly a week, made the 4 hour trip back here in the heat!! . When did or when are you turning the car seat around? Hubby wants to do it now, but I want to wait until he's closer to the 9kg mark and is sitting up better than what he is.
    Big hugs to everyone that is having a bad time with sleeps. Hope things start improving for you all real soon. :hugs:
    We had Ethyn's 6 month immunisations and check up yesterday. He started crying when I was holding him before he got his injections, it was like he knew they were coming. Poor little man!! But like normal for him he was over it within a few minutes. He screamed for about 20 minutes last night, gave him his last bottle at about 8:30pm, he was asleep by 9pm and I fed him this morning at 8am. He is back to his usual self today. Going to try solids within the next week or so.
    Sorry for the selfish post, there is alot of posts for me to catch up on!!!!

Lee-We turned Blake around about 2 weeks ago, he would have been roughly 9kg. Keep them rearward facing as long as your car seat manufaturer allows, it's much safer. Blake's legs were too long for him to be rearward facing and too long so the straps wouldnt close!

Lee75- I'm going to leave Izzy for as long as possible too - I know in Aust the regulations are 6 mths but overseas they are all 12 mths. There is thread around here somewhere that shows a video of what can happen in an accident if bubs arent ready to be turned around. Will see if I can find it.
    Lulu - I love your ticker pic - I hope Izzy is ok, maybe its a developmental stage and she is needing sleep before she starts a grand new phase of rolling/crawling/eating etc. Hope she is ok!

Lee - so glad you popped in - not sure why you can't sign my guest book -thats weird! I signed yours - Baden is gorgeous! Hope you are doing ok and you and DH are working stuff out. Being a new mum/dad takes its toll doesn't it. Remember we are here for you if you need to vent or talk things out hun.

Izzy got my cold - Im not too bad today, yesterday I had phases of wondering if I would survive the shakes/hot flushes/heavy head/light head/aches and pains... must be a survival thing - if I was that sick today I wouldn't be able to care for Izzy properly but I'm a bit better and she's a little worse! Just a bit more demanding plus its hot here so Im feeding her more frequently. She is a snot and drool machine today - I think a peg is going to pop through any minute too, poor little thing!
    Right off to watch Oprah and chill while she's asleep - big to you all !

ETA - here is the thread!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast