Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born November 2006 #3

Ouchie.....poor thing. Gee you have had a rough trot. Poor mummy.
    I would not want to have more babies after 2 goes of the same thing either.
    Is there a known cause for why your girls both have it.... or babies in general getting it so bad??
    Im so proud of how well your doing, its an inspiration to all.

Im so sorry to hear about Jovie, Christy. How are you treating her if you dont mind me asking?
    About the reflux, did you have bad heartburn with Matilda and Jovie? Im asking this because I did with Xander and Baylee and they both have it and I often wonder if there was a correlation between us having heartburn whilst pg and them suffering as bubs.

Baylee had his needles yesterday, poor baby. I felt so terrible for him, after the first one he cried and looked at me with the most heartbroken little face as if to say what are you doing to me. Then I had to turn him over for the next one. He was so good after he got over the initial pain and shock, he slept heaps after, I had to wake him up for a feed. I did read on the info sheet that that was one of the side affects.
    We also saw the CHN today, she was really happy with his progress. My little piglet is now 6.15kg (13lb 8oz) and 61cm. Unbelievable!!

hi ladies,
    haven't been on for awhile - what with xmas and a new baby!

Kristy- so sorry you are having such a hard time - i can certainly sympathise. We have one very unsettled, non-sleeping baby! I hope a paed can offer some relief for all of you.
    Iread elsewhere you are having some success with the HAB. Mine is a life saver too but I find it difficult in the hot weather and draining on me to have Logan 'on' me all the time.
    Can I ask how the reflux has been diagnosed? Am wondering myself if we have any problem. Logan is not a vomiter but does seem colicky at times and just doesn't sleep !

Kim - sounds like you are going through rough patch too. Hopefully all our bubs will move on to new,settled stage soon!

As i mentioned, we are having sleep issues- getting worse over the last week.
    We have purchased a hammock which has probably helped only a little. Still takes up to an hr to get him to sleep only for him to wake up 15mins or 45mins later. Night sleeping is reasonable but only because he is still in the bed with us - don't think i will be able to phase this out as soon as I hoped!
    Have even resorted to trying a dummy in the opast 2 days - swore I wasn't going to but desperation kicked in! he doesn't actually like it much but probably helps a little to get him off to sleep whilst saving my poor boobies!
    Anyway, hope everyone is coping ok and I will try and get on bit more often

Hi girls... the diagnosis isn't official yet. But having one with reflux helps you know what is going on better. She regurgitates heaps, vomits every feed. Seems painful in the belly all the time but especially after feeds. Can sleep because she she relaxes her belly, it causes the bile to rise up everytime.

Its awful... To officially diagnose reflux they have to do an oseophogeal scope where they put them under a GA & put a mini camera down to have a look. Most paediatricians won't do it which is fair enough because I don't want it done anyway. Most GP's & Paeds look at symptoms and see if you have enough. Matilda had burns on the back of her throat which helped the diagnosis.

To treat, first thing to try is positioning them. Never lay them flat on their backs, always at an incline & especially after every feed.

With the hammocks, the best way to get them to sleep is either up & down or side to side, so not rocking them towards their head & back towards you. Does that make sense? When you put them in & pull down at the top to make it bounce up & down for small movements it interrupts in the pain receptors in their brains, so for painful babies they get to sleep easier with the bouncing. HTH!

curlylocks11 Guest

christy - i didnt know that with the hammocks.. interesting! I hope that jovie gets better soon..

anyone else having sleep issues, all the best!

I've been going good here, samantha is sleeping well, unless ds wakes her up He doesn't know how loud he is sometimes. Shes also going from around 7pm - 2am, then up again at 6am, so not too bad overnight.

Oh, had her weighed today and she is now 6.1kg and 61cm long.. is that normal? she is 10 weeks old today, i can't remember, and can't be bothered looking in her book at the charts..

Christy - fingers crossed things improve for you.

We're also having sleep problems. Seems like the Christmas break has put us backwards in the sleep dept. She's more unsettled now at 10 weeks than she was at 6 weeks.

Alison - sounds like you've got a healthy bouncing girl. Good going Mum!

Ann

Not that I am glad anyone is having troubles but I am thankful to not be alone in the poor sleeping department!
    My saviours are the HAB sling and co-sleeping at night. Dreading more hot weather in melbourne because it makes it near impossible to have him in the sling... we both end up very overcooked!
    Have just managed to get Logan to sleep in the hammock but waiting for the inevitable wake up at 40mins.
    How do those of you with another older child manage? I am struggling to just get through each day with one baby and one husband to look after! My house is a mess and I am living on any foods I can eat quickly with one hand. I have a friend with a bub only 1 week younger than Logan and she has immaculate house and dinner on the table every night! Her baby sleeps up to 8.5hrs at night! Kind of hard not to have "baby envy" but maybe Logan will become the angel toddler!!.

Chelsea has taken to co-sleping of a night and really wish i hadnt started her on it!! Its the only time DH and i seem to get time alone now. For the last 4 nights we have planned to bath, feed and bed Chels. Have our tea, wash up and then cuddle up for a movie. Needless to say im still waiting on that movie has DD has had other plans. We get the bath and bottle bit, but then bed is another story. We end up giving in and go to bed where she joins us. All though last night she did sleep in her own bed....but we were to buggered and feel asleep as soon as we hit the pillow ourself.

Where as today she has just slept. She woke for a 8am feed, then went back to sleep. I had to wake her for 12 feed, now sleeping again!! I sure hope she keeps it up for the rest of the day/night and i might be able to see that movie and spend time with DH.

My house is CLEAN for a change. I cleaned from one end to the other yesterday morning. Amazingly it still looks clean. Normally only lasts 20 minutes and its messy again... i dont know how it happens~!

it must be the season for sleeping issues!!!!!! since we also returned from hols DD has been unsettled, i was more concerned that that would happen while away but it didnt, slept like normal - all night, she still does that but fights you getting to sleep hands are constantly in the mouth so have started to wrap her with her hands up within the wrap so she can self settle with them, we'll see how we go hey.......

ALISON- you certainly do have a happy healthy girl there..DD was 5.05kg when weighed on monday. you go girl...

CHRISTY- MIL showed me another way to burp DD the other day, not that she has reflux problems but she said it can help with those that do, instead of patting or rubbing her back, cup her chin as normal and place light pressure with the palm of your hand on her sternum/stomach area and gently more side to side and back and forth, she likened it to a spirit level where you need to get the air bubble to the middle to bring it up, makes sence and it works, i understand though that jovies problems are quite servere but good luck you doing so well, im not sure that i could cope if i were in your shoes!!! you should be very proud of yourself.

ANN i love seeing you pictures of Ella, shes beautiful!!!

MEREDITH i know how you feel love i also live in melbourne and i'm not looking forward to next week, 39 degrees next week, i just put nappy and singlet on DD sometimes no singlet

hey everyone

Christy: Sorry to hear things still are tough there for Jovie, must be so hard on you all

I have been keeping busy and really just not being on computer a great deal lately, everyone is well, Cooper is a great baby and just blended on in, he does get unsettled and carry on but on the whole its not too tragic, Mason is a run amok! he is so full on, putting him in daycare as of next monday for two days a week, i really dont want too in some ways but i really think he will love it so much, and looked into gymbaroo for him, have an open day there on wednsday, so will see how that is, he is just a kid who needs to burn his energy to be settled so figure if i keep him busy it might settle him down a bit, he is good most of the time at least just high energy levels

Hey Kim have you had your movie night yet??, hope chelsea is settling down for you
    Belinda, mason will probably love child care and like you said hopefully he'll burn some of that energy up!!!
    well i saw my GP today about PND and she's put me on a low does antidepressant, not what i wanted but it's low and were taking it week by week, i know it's the best thing for us as a family so hopefully it's temporary and i'll feel better soon.

Hi girls, I hope everyone is doing well and all the bubs are behaving themselves.
    I think Baylees going through another growth spurt coz hes been on and off the boob again, then he gets cranky coz he cant get anything out of it when hes drained them dry.

I just cant understand perths weather at the moment, yesterday is was a beautiful/hot 37C and right now its a yucky/wet 20C. We went to the beach yesterday and today Im stuck indoors coz of the rain. Though in saying that, Baylee was quite unsettled yesterday because of the heat and today hes fine. So its not all that bad I guess.
    Is this "summer"?

YES i finally got my movie night on Friday!!!
    Chelsea must have known i was getting uoset not having it. She behaved all night. had her bath, bottle then laid in the loungeroom quite as can be. DH and i had a few drinks...and a few more....nice meal. Gave Chels her 11pm feed and she went to bed. It was nice. Cuddled up for the first time in ages, it really helped!

Chelsea still wont settle...its getting beyond a joke. Its doing my head it.

I think im going to have to go speak to someone about my moods too. I get so low i dont want to face the world, speak to anyone, i even get to the point of not speaking to DH. He is worried about me. BUt i keep saying ill be fine.....

Weather here is a bit hard to understand as well.....hot cold hot cold...lol
    Take care everyone!!

KIM although it's hard talking to someone you'll feel much better, i was snapping at DH for no reason, just not happy. i have felt better the pas tweek, but was still put on low does antidepressants, it's just temporary it's not what i wanted but it's the best thing for us as a family!! i feel like a failure but i know i'm not, just remembe it's very common. good luck and please see someone, it's easier to treat if done early, big hugs to you..

I was on anti-depressants at the start of last year....not long before i fell pg. They helped a bit. Then in the last 6 weeks of the pregnancy i felt like i was slipping again, and was pt on medication again.....but it didnt help. It made me very sick and i had to stop taking it. It was a low dose as well. i think i need to talk to some one again..

When i was in the hospital i was made out to be a real nut....i had social workers, doctors, phychiatrists (sp?), nurses.....everyone, all come see me. Handed millions of brochures on depression.....i know they were just looking out for me and giving me help....but i felt like i must be a nut to them.

I did feel like a failure both times. Now i feel worse because for some reason i feel like im a bad mother if i need help in a form of pills.....DD is the best thing ive ever been given.....but in a way its like she is driving me insane......she isnt tho, i love her dearly and just want the best for her, DH and myself.

DH battled depression for just on 12 years so he is more then supportive and picks up the signals so well. He is a savior to me some days.....

unfortunatly i feel as though depression has such a stingma attatched to it when it shouldnt, i think others probably think highly of us for asking for help, it;s the hardest thing to do and accept, i feel exactly like you DD is the best thing ever but it's hard changing your lifestyle, i have found it harder than i ever imagined giving up work i eas so looking forward to it and i do really enjoy being at home but i thought things would be a bit different, now thats hard to admitt!!!!!! make sure you and DH (if possible i kmow your family is interstate) try adn get sometime to yourselves, go on a date or a movie, that's what were doing tomorrow, we made a deal before DD arrived that we would go out alone at least once a month and have time together, and we have.

Hi girls, just thought I would pop in and see how we are all doing.

Christy - how is Jovie? is she on some meds now for reflux? Any sleep improvements

AJP and Kim - I think you are both very brave to seek help for PND - it must be a hard thing to accept let alone talk to someone about. I have suffered with some issues years ago and the hardest part was admitting something was wrong.
    Was quite worried about PND before Logan was born as both my mum and sister suffered severely needing hospitalisation
    So far so good but this motherhood is defnitely very taxing and by far the hardest thing I have ever done.
    My profession pre baby, as a vet, was obviously stressful at times but at least you can come ome from work and have a break. Babies are 24/7 especially when you have one with "high needs"

Speaking of which, I am only able to get on here because Logan has been asleep for 3.5hrs and now 5hrs since last feed. NEVER sleeps this well in the day and I am usually feeding 2-3hrly.
    Not sure if just a fluke or something working.
    Went to paediatrician yesterday, mostly as a follow up for his hips given he was breech. Had an u/s in the morning and hips all fine but discussed the sleep and unsettled issues with paed whilst there and he thinks sounds very typical of silent reflux.
    Started on Zantac and mylanta yesterday. he said we prob wouldn't see improvement for over a week but who knows?
    I did also try wrapping again. Had given up because he always fought it and wanted his arms out but ? if this has helped and I should just persist.
    Could just be he is exhausted after so little sleep for past 2 weeks and tommorrow will be back to square one!! Oh well, will enjoy it whilst it lasts - have gotten so much house work done, its great!!

Hi girls,

been so busy havent had time to scratch myself of late. DH has had a bad back and been at the physio every two days for the last 3 weeks, meaning he has been pretty much out of action, and I have been trying to keep up with everything and have been very sore because of it. so I havent had time to post on here. I have been able to "lurk" and see how everyone is, but havent had the luxury of time to post. And of course in the middle of all of that Aston had his 6 week growth spurt...I swear by the end of it I was totally exhausted, and thought it was never going to end. Was beginning to think my milk had disappeared when we turned the corner and everything went back to normal...but I swear I spent at least forty eight hours being a jersey cow!

I had Aston weighed last week and he is 4.83kg, 1.6kg increase since birth, and 57.5cm, 4.5cm growth. So he is averaging about 300grams I think a week. He is looking lovely and chubby, and starting cooing and gaaing, and giving us beautiful smiles. He has discovered that if he kicks his leg out while he is under his play gym he feels something and it makes a noise. Baby gazing is such a time waster isnt it...

I am off for my late 6 week check up on monday. My doctor moved, so I had to find another one, and was putting it off. I need to also go and have my GTT to see if the Diabetes is gone...fingers crossed all is well. And Aston has his needles too...NOT looking forward to that one at all. Cried with Laura and Nathan's...

Meredith - hope the medication makes a difference for Logan. I know what you mean about motherhood being the hardest job you have ever done. It definately is, and no matter what anyone tells you BEFORE you become a mum yourself, it isnt until you experience it first hand that you really get it. the ups, the downs, the joys, the heartache, the exhaustion, the tears, the laughs...the whole kit and caboodle...
    Keep wrapping him if it makes a difference. I know it does with Aston, and did with my other two as well. My girlfriends mum made some bigger muslin wraps for me - they grow out of the shop ones so quick - and I am using them now. when its hot I just keep Aston in a Nappy and wrap so he doesnt over heat. Hang in there Meredith - your doing great hun.

a

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast