Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born November 2006 #3

I pressed enter before I had finished that last post...sorry

AJP - glad that the Doctor has put you on some meds hun. It really will make a difference once it settles in. I know it did for me, but also helped talking to some one just to get "stuff" out of my head, if that makes any sense. I know what you mean about the stigma attached to mental illness. There are a lot of ignorant people around, and until they have spent 5 mins even remotely feeling the way you are feeling right now they really dont know what they are talking about. Initially I felt embarressed, but after what I have been through I walk tall now, and challenge anyone who is ignorant about mental illness. They usually end up sitting back and shutting up.

Kim - when you have experience depression before you recognise that black dog nipping at your heels again don't you? Even though it can feel overwhelmingly like OH NO here we go again, the positive side of it is that it can be identified so much quicker, and consequently treated so much quicker. I think you learn to take better care of yourself as a result, or at least that is the case with myself. I hope that you do see someone, if for no other reason then reassurance.

Christy - has Jovie had any improvement darlin? I hope YOU are doing ok in the midst of all of this. I think you are amazing to keep going with the breast feeding in the midst of having to irradicate certain foods etc. Reach over and give yourself a big pat on the back.

I hope everyone else is doing well...from what I can remember reading you all seem to be cruising along. Its getting late, and I can remember who else is doing what. Sorry. Think I going to hit the sack, and see how long Aston sleeps tonight before he wakes to be fed... i cant wait for the night that I wake at 5am for a feed....and have at least 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep...oh what bliss it will be....lol

Gosh we're quiet in here... sorry bout that

Yeah we are going okay. Thursday was a turning point for Jovie, I got sick of lining up all the meds before each feed and then having to give them & then fight her to feed... it was all too much for my head. So I stopped all meds & suddenly she slept. She's been having 3-4 40minute naps and one bigger one during the day. I can't believe it. She's still painful with every feed, but she's heaps more settled. So we are in the process of getting there It hasn't happened overnight, but it will happen.

I know I'm heaps less stressed having Jovie than I was with Matilda. With Matilda I used to worry about how much she slept & try to work to a schedule for her, but I gave that up around now & started looking at Matilda to see what she needed for her. I started with Jovie being relaxed about routines etc. Its heaps easier because Jovie's heaps more easy going as well. Matilda is a determined little chop who, unfortunately to me, needs routines & structure (I'm not a very structured girl). So that was hard work, Jovie is heaps more easy going and can be moved easier because it doesn't result in 6 hours of screaming.

So how are everyone else?? We are getting closer to having some relief of the constant newborn phase YAY!!! I can't wait, hehehe.... I just love being able to pop them down for a play and exploration. I love it when they aren't always needing settling, you can have 1-2 hours of happy awake time before they sleep...its bliss.

Not much new this way. Have to book Chels in for her needles soon.... sooo dont want to have them done... ill cry to much. She is still not sleeping to well.. all though the other night we got a full 7 hours!!! Smiles heaps now. Talks her own language and we just agree with her.

Finally got DH on the site... so now he has his own profile....dont get on much and post though he feels the ladies gang up on the men to much!

Hi all

It is quiet in here. We must all be busy with our beautiful babes.

Aston had his needles yesterday.:frown: DH came with me, so while I was getting my bits and pieces seen to, DH was in the treatment room with Aston having the needles. I still heard him scream though. I'm a huge sook when it comes to injections, which is why I took DH. its amazing how the mother instinct kicks in, I'm jumping off the examination table, and hurrying the doctor along so I could get in there to him, and when I walked in he was sobbing, which consequently set me off. I sat down to feed him, and he was still sobbing around my nipple, poor little man. DH's face was a picture. I think it broke his heart. Later in the evening when Aston was unsettled, probably because his little legs hurt, DH had tried everything, and then gave him to me, and he stopped crying. Well DH's face said it all. I wonder whether he'll come with me for the next ones? Aston's only reaction was a few hours after the injections he woke screaming, and I gave him panadol, then as it wore off he began howling again, so I gave him panadol again, but he was fine last night, and back to himself today. Thank goodness. He is now 5.150kg, and 60cm long! A lovely big bouncing boy!

Yay KIm on getting 7 hours sleep.... Aston waking once in the night anywhere between 12 - 3 am, then wakes between 4-6am, so I can't really complain. Hoping, fingers crossed, that the middle of the night feed will just progressively get later and later. Totally understand you not wanting to take her for Chelsea for her needles. you would think that by number three I would have a stronger constitution! If you can take someone with you do it. I have for all three of them. Still cried, but the moral support was invaluable!

Christy - glad that you aren't feeling stressed this time round, and that you are going with the flow. Aston is getting so big so quickly - lots of lovely smiles, and cooing and gaaing. More wake time now, playing under his baby gym, and has discovered that those things that have been frailing around him are attached to him, he has become very fascinated with his hands. Laura and Nathan will lay down next to him when he is under the gym and "play" with him. Its lovely to watch. They are still so very in love with him,the novelty hasn't worn off at all.

I hope everyone else is doing ok. take care

Well i am back again, just letting you know i am still about

Computer drove me crazy for awhile and with holidays been keeping busy, down to one kid on Monday, wont know myself on Mondays and Fridays from next week, going to be sooo quiet!

Will be back to read up later on hope everyone is going ok

Just trying to get Ella back into her routine. She's now almost 12wks and is awake for a bit longer without tears and crying.

Night sleeps have gone back to normal, wake once a night at 3-4am. Day sleeps are difficult but she's doing well so i'm not going to stress about it too much.

Christy - glad to hear Jovie's turn a corner with the reflux. Sounds like you've got great instincts about her needs.

Kim - Ella also chats a lot. She prefers chatting to playing with toys. Today she discovered she could shout. Joy.

I can't believe we're almost up to that next big 3 month milestone already. Its gone so quickly. I had coffee with my old boss yesterday and he was fishing to see if i would go back to work earlier than 12 months. I told him there is no chance i'm going to miss discovering Ella's new little talents... I feel really lucky to be able to witness them all, as i know Andrew feels left out sometimes but he always gets to see them the second time round.
    Last edited by luua; January 24th, 2007 at 05:33 PM.

things are good here, i'm feeling heaps better now i'm on meds, except they make me drowsy so have to adjust the time i take it!!
    had sophie weighed today she's 5.490 kg, 58.8cm and head is 39, has a slight flat spot on the side of her head which we are seeing a kiddie chiro for neck next week. i have a great MCHN who makes me feel good that i'm doing my best for sophie, shes lovely!!

Well she's a big girl now, sleeping in her cot unwrapped but has commenced sucking her thumb!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as a dental nurse that's not good!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: DH and i found it very hard to put her from the bassinette to the cot it's like a new chapter in her small life and she look so small, but sleeping well still, i swear my next child will never sleep just to even them up!!! this girl looooves her sleep just like her daddy.

next thing on our agenda will be trying to work out some sort of day routine working out more set times for sleeps

hope everyone is well and things are getting back to normal after christmas, it's hard to believe it was a month ago.

It is hard to belive Christmas was a month ago!

AJP glad to hear the meds are going well, except for the drowsiness. I found it hard to get the "right" dose but eventually I was on 3/4 of my tablet which was perfect LOL.

Well... Jovie is going well. A bit over the rough days and ready for some good ones I guess I am less stressed over sleep now because there is so much else to be worried about.

I have read heaps and been to sleep school with Matilda, and I know that a sleep cycle is around 40 minutes and they should get over that 40 and go on to sleep more. I also know that she should feed every 3 hours. Having said that, today she slept 3 times for 40 minutes each, she fed every 2-3 hours... but she's been more painful and having more issues with stomach cramps again so I don't worry so much about lack of sleep or feeding irregularly but I worry about pain.

Hello everyone,
    I did a big long post yesterday but wouldn't go through...doh!!
    Glad to see most of the bubbas doing well

Christty - glad that Jovie is improving somewhat. The 40min sleep thing is a real pain eh? We are still having issues with this but can't seem to get over it unless he is in the sling or co-sleeping at night
    Is Jovie still taking any meds at all?

Vicky - Thanks for your kind words. Motherhood really IS hard. I think my DH is only just beginning to realise why I can't get much else done during the day. Hope Aston is alll recovered from his immunisations. Horrible isn't it? Logan had his on Wednesday and I was nearly in tears. I give injections to puppies and kittens all the time but my own baby - heartbreaking!

AJP - glad you are feeling better on the meds. Must make everything easier to deal with, I am sure. Sophie sounds like she is thriving so you are certainly doing a great job as a mummy!

Kim - 7hrs sleep overnight - WTG Chelsea!! Hope it continues to get get better

Am witholding judgement still on whether the meds are making mych difference. Bit hard to tell given the vaccinations upset everything past 2 days.
    He sleeps quite well in the HAB (up to 3hrs in the morning) but stil doing the 40min deal in the hammock most days. Went to Pinky's massage course on Wed and learnt some good colic strokes so helping these may help a little. I hate seeing him upset and wish he could be a more content baby but I guess things will improve with time.
    I also hate being so caught up with the sleep -almost becomes the focus of my whole day.
    Doesn't help when I have a friend with baby one week younger and she is sleeping 10hrs every night plus good day naps. Doesn't require any settling either - she just puts her in the cot and walks away!!! Her house is immaculate - she tells me how she has been scrubbing the oven and getting on her hands and knees to do the floors!
    I am lucky if I get to shower and eat,let alone do much housework!

Anyone else using a dummy? I am still feeling a bit funny about using one as I really didn't want to but it does seem to calm/comfort him without needing the BB and certainly seems to shorten the time to get him to sleep. Just worried about the dependence on it and I also don't want to find myself "plugging the hole" and missing cues from him. Anyone else have thoughts?

Meredith, i too was reluctant to use a dummy. sophie has always self settled pretty well since birth with only a little help, but found it useful on the occasions that she was a little 'over it' and needed a little help. she doesnt have it anyother time than this but having said that she has started to suck her thumb!!! and uses this now so self settle.
    i think you need to feel ok abouit using it when you feel necessary, dont feel bad if it's needed use it, i found if sophie needed it to go to sleep she nearly always spat it out in her sleep if she was awake though i never replugged, she got one chance!
    just remember to do what right for you both!! good luck and your doing a great job........were all great mummy's!!!!!!!!

I was set on Chelsea not having a dummy. I seen what they did to my sisters kids, they never wanted to give them up, then she just through them away one day and they got used to it. BUT, Chelsea was 4 days old she was screaming and was in pain... could not settle her and i said to DH GO BUY ME DUMMIES NOW. Ive never looked back!. DD likes them sometimes when she is really tired...but i find spits it out not long after.....even during the day when she is crying i offer it to her and she never takes it! I guess it depends on her mood.

Her sleep is still up and down....the 7 hours was bliss..never happened again with out it being broken on and off. Lastnight she had a 8.30pm feed and then a bath at 930pm. Got to bed at 1030pm. Went without a feed til 5.30am.....lol she was starving...but her fault for not waking!!

Itd hard when most of the bub's in this buddy group are nealry 3 months old....but its nice to hear what i have to look forward too. Chelsea, Logan and Aston are the babies of the group....both 2 months old and born on same day (Logan 1 day before Chels and Aston)

Meredith-Dont worry about the house work.....u just do what u can...i make the most of DD cat naps and do it over the day....lol...by the time DH gets home im just finishing up...then i have to do dinner.

Christy-Good to her Jovie is making a progress...your going well!!

AJP-Sophie sounds like she is getting a big girl now!

Luua-Chels talks to her clown that hangs off her play gym....loves it so much now...or if u go to kiss her she startd her jibberish again and smiles. Its liek she is saying 'No Mum, i dont want more kisses'.

Vicky-LOL ill be in tears im sure when DD has to get her needles. DH has to to work so ill be a toughie and going alone :frown: My nurse told me DO NOT get DD needles before 29th January....no ealier....so ive been holding off. Aston had his a bit early....im sure it cant make much of a difference. But she enforced no earlier a few times..LOL

Quick question to everyone......
    Did your bubs ever get a flat spot on the head??

Chels has one on one saide cos she favours her left side. No matter how mant times i turn her head she moves it back. I give her tummy time...she screams but i still make her have it!

Hi all... having a really bad day here. So I'm hiding in the computer room crying atm. Urgh...Meredith I so understand. Jovie is in heaps of pain today & I am over it. I have no more coping abilities today...Jovie's not on any meds atm I decided to try natural therapies for a little while as Matilda went the medical route & was heaps worse than Jovie is. But today is making me debate that for sure Meds for Matilda didn't seem to do too much, and if they did after 2 weeks they weren't as good.

Needles - not doing them until Jovie has recovered a bit. No need to hurt her even more at this stage because we aren't doing much at all until she's able to go through a day without too much pain.

Meredith - how are you going with the HAB? Jovie has 1 good nap a day in it. I don't think I'd survive without it but she's getting so heavy!

Dummy - I was always against dummies but I read about reflux babies and the use of dummies to help their bodies keep the stomach acids lower in the oesophagus & I was sold. Matilda had one as long as she had reflux symptoms and its the only thing that will help Jovie keep her food in and in the stomach area. I've heard they help with colic as well to push out the wind?

Kim I have heard about babies who prefer one side & who chiropractic work helped heaps. Jovie wouldn't feed of my left side very well at all & after 1 session of chiropractic work she was fine again. Apparently lying on the right side can cause tummy pain as well so sometimes the football hold is better for feeding if you are breastfeeding otherwise just try to encourage her to look around with toys etc & if there is a flat spot tell the Dr at her vaccinations. The only person I know whose baby had a flat head had a super severe case of it so I'm not sure about smaller ones.

Kim sophie has a light flat spot on one side, since birth she has favoured obe side, when shes up i place arolled up flat nappy under the side she favours to slightly roll her tothe other so she faces the way we want. her head is slightly not symetrical when looking fromthe top, not bad, but there,we are seeing a kiddie chiro next thursday to help loosen up her neck muslces as they seem tight. has your MCHN checked her head out? she should be able toadvise you of waht else you can do to avoid it getting worse

Christy i'm sorry to hear your having a bad day, your an amazing person to get through what you do i dont know if i'd cope like you do, wish i could give you a big hug (hugging you right now!!!!!) keep your chin up sweetie.

Hi all,
    Well since the December thread has gone by the wayside, I figure I can either post in Nov or Jan - so we'll start in Nov and see how it goes
    Hamish is 6w today, going well. I have a weigh in on Monday, so hopefully he is gaining weight well. He was so little to start with, and so maybe he is up to 9lb now.

Dummies... I hated them, but we ended up giving Jenna one cause all she wanted to do was SUCK!!! My nipples got a bit sick of it all. Hamish is the opposite, he doesn't comfort suck, but he gets such terrible tummy pains and the dummy relieves them immensely. Problem is, he can't keep thedummy in his mouth, so we are forever sticking it back in!
    We took Jenna's dummy off her just before her 1st birthday, and she hasn't wanted it since, and doesn't suck her fingers, so its all good

Thanks everyone for the dummy replies - makes me feel a bit more comfortable about using one especially if it might be helping him with pain.

Fi - welcome to November! I think we are all a bit hit and miss with posting regularly. So hard with a newborn -well I find it hard anyway!

Christy - hugs to you !!! I totally understand the "bad day" scenario although not as well as you I am sure. I feel I am at the end of my tether many days and Logan doesn't sound nearly as unsettled as Jovie. It certainly is horrible seeing them in pain. It breaks my heart that my baby is not happier - i feel I am missing out on some of the joy of new baby smiles/giggles etc. He certainly does smile but I have seen other bubs who look so much more content...... sigh!!
    Can anyone look after Jovie for at least an hour to give you some "time out" ? sounds like you really need some "Christy" time. Hope things improve for us both soon!
    BTW - the HAB is a life saver. He will drop off to sleep usually quite quickly in it and the last two days has slept 3hrs and 3.5hrs in the morning. i just get a bit tired of having him "on' me all the time and really don't want a situation where he will only sleep in the HAB. So still persisting with the hammock.

Fi you are always welcome here!!! I have been meaning to check up on you and do maybe once a week, but it will be great to have you in here with Hamish

Welcome Fi!! We were in belly buddies together, now in baby buddies!!
    Glad to hear Hamish is going well!

What happened to the December thread???

Hi all, good to see everyone posting. I have felt a bit lonely not hearing from any one you for so long :frown: but I know how hard it is to get two minutes to yourself.
    The house is sleeping, and I'm finally on my own, without SOMEONE demanding my immediate attention. And I don't mean Aston. Its the other three that have been driving me slightly mad! Roll on Monday, school is back! Then I will only have DH to deal with. His hours at work have been cut down significantly, so much so that he is looking for another job. Its nice having him around, but you know what they say - familiarity breeds contempt. I am one of these people that need to have some space on a regular basis otherwise I start to go slight insane. I desperately want to do some painting, for the head space, but it is hard to do with DD, DS and DH around. Aston is the easy one. lol.

Christy:hugs: darlin. I had a day like that the other day, where I just shut myself in the bathroom so I could BREATH! Motherhood is the hardest job in the world to do, and when you can't instantaneously fix a problem it breaks your heart ten fold.

Kim - how you doing? You mentioned in a post that you think you might speak to someone about your moods swinging? did you, or are you feeling better with in yourself? I thought I was having a major anxiety attack on Wednesday (in the past I have had acute anxiety disorder) but I think it was a hypo because once I had something to eat it settled. I really must get the follow up GTT done. I hope its not diabetes. I'm not sure which is worse.

I asked my GP about him getting his needles a few days early, and she wasn't concerned. We had a Paedtrician appointment on Wednesday, and they weren't concerned either that it was early. The hip ultrasound was all clear, so that was a relief. I didnt realise how much it was concerning me until I knew that everything was ok. Funny isn't how things can knock around in your subconscious, even when you think your ok with it.

I'll be thinking of you when you take Chelsea for her needles, and be there in spirit ok? Aston was only out of sorts for the day, and back to himself the next day. I'm going to have to check aston in the morning now for a flat spot, but I cant say I have noticed one, and the CHN, or doctor, or paed didnt mention anything...

Hi Fi, look forward to getting to "know" you and your little man a bit better.

Meredith - I have used dummies with all my kids. I just made it a rule that it was only for sleeping. And once it became an issue with sleep - them waking because they couldn't find it - it went in the bin. I didn't want to be a human dummy - I'll be the milk bar - but not the dummy. lol. Aston has just found his thumb as well, which is a first for me because Laura and Nathan didn't. So I guess we will see what happens. Do what feels right for you. My hat goes off to you having Logan sleep in a HAB, Nathan was like that, if he could have gotten inside my skin I'm sure he would have. If its any consolation, he was a wonderful toddler, whereas my daughter was a night mare. Hang in there darlin, and forget the housework. what gets done gets done, what doesnt can wait. I know its hard but try not to compare yourself to your friend. Each situation is different, and there may come a time when things are so great and organised for her - not that I'm wishing that on her of course. Just take one day at a time, that is all we ever have any control over.

AJP = wonderful that you are feeling better with in yourself darlin. Meds made the world of difference for me too when I had PND with Nat. I had to laugh about the thumb sucking. A very close friend of mine is a dental nurse too, and that was her reaction when I mentioned that Aston had started sucking his thumb. Both her kids have AMAZING teeth, and are having work done on them to make sure they stay they way. She works for a state of the art dentist who has all the latest technology etc, so they will have beautiful teeth when they are adults.

Well Iguess I should go to bed. This week has been extremely hectic, and I should make the most of the sleeping baby and sleep myself. Aston wakes once in the night, and then around 5am. God I can't wait for him to sleep until 5, without waking, what I would do for 8 hours uninteruppted sleep...did I mention that in a moment of madness we got a puppy???? (ah.that's right your a vet Meredith aren't you...have some questions but will save them for another time.) Like I didn't have enough to do already!

I forgot to say...I had Aston weighed again on Wednesday - 5.395kg! My arms ache....lol
    Last edited by Trillian; January 28th, 2007 at 05:38 PM. Reason: two posts in a row

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast