Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born November 2006 #8

No solids here either. Logan is watching intently when I eat now so he is probably about ready but I'm not desperate to start. Don't need anything upsetting his tummy and sleep.
    Will be hanging out until 6mths if i can.

Tara - I feel for you with the sleeping thing. It's up to you whether to feed to sleep or not. Yes, it may mean you have to continue to do it for awhile but it won't "harm" her - just a pain for you. I wouldn't have been fussed at all if i had to feed Logan back to sleep 2-3 times a night but alas, feeding doesn't work so no point and his sleep is no worse with no feeding overnight (last feed is dream feed at 10pm). You could try other settling mehods such as patting,stroking, soft music etc. Wait until she is asleep or almost asleep before leaving the room. if any of this works then just gradually "wean" her off the amount of hands on help needed to settle. May be tedious especially if you are used to her self settling (haven't experienced that one yet myself!) but in my mind better than CC (controlled crying). Much as I am frustrated by Logan's sleep issues, I will never resort to CC.

Vicky - When is FIL coming and how long is he staying? Do you get along with him ok?
    Hope this time passes quickly for you. I know how draining anxiety can be. What may seem trivial to others is still a big deal to YOU when it causes stress.

Christy - good on you for being vocal about birth choices. It can make SUCH a HUGE impact on your own self confidence let alone physical health when you have control over how your child is birthed. I feel quite strongly about this issue too, given my fight to have a natural breech birth. Obviously both of us (and many other women) did have successful natural births when many OBs would be ready and waiting with the knife.
    Hopefully some women will be inspired by your newspaper piece nd seek out their own choices!!

Kim - Rest up darl !! Chels and your new little bub need you to not burn yourself out.

AJP - How are you and Sophie doing? Any improvement with the family situation?

Another fairly wakeful night for my little man but not quite as bad as the night before.
    Wish he would learn to replace his own dummy - would at least cut out a few of the wake ups!!

Hi Meredith
    Yes it would be nice if they could replace their own dummy wouldn't it...
    I havent met my FIL before, its the first time, we have spoken on the phone, and via webcam. I'm sure it will all be fine, and if it they don't like me too bad, because at the end of the day, DH has chosen to be with me, by just coming to Australia to live, and that's all that matters. (Well that's my stance today...see how I am on Sunday evening as the time gets closer! lol)

I agree with not doing the CC - its not something I do either, I know things are really up if Astons looses it, because he is usually such a happy content little thing. if he howls, its pain, or discomfort, or just over tired, like last night. most of the time I'm extremely lucky and aston puts himself to sleep (shhhh he might hear me, and that will all change!) He will have a chat to his mobile, and laugh at the animals, then I will go back in and tuck him in , and off he will go. The one and only time he was sobbing his heart out in the cot was when we had people arrive, and all of us where out side, and I didn't have the monitor with me. I was absolutely mortified to come and find him sobbing his little heart out. I felt like a heel!! And of course DH made me feel even worse (not quite sure how it was MORE my fault that he was not heard, but anyway...)lots of cuddles and kisses later, he calmed down, but I know I could do control crying, its cruel, well thats how I feel, and a little loss of innocence, and there are more then enough opportunities for that to happen unfortunately without adding any more into the mix... anyway, i'm raving so will go...lol...stuff to do before sunday...like finish doing the study!

Oh wouldnt it be lovely if they could work out which end of the dummy goes in the mouth. Ella sucks all around it and by that time is awake.

Her night sleeps are just out the window these days. Waking up every 30mins after busting out of the wrap and flinging the dummy away or crying because she can find which way goes in the mouth. (while still holding it in her hand). Last night after waking at 4.30 i went in to find she'd escaped her wrap and had pulled her blanket over her head. She was crying cause she couldnt get out!!!! It scared me. Next week we're going to ease her out of her wrap and look at getting one of those grobags.

Well she had her shots yesterday and they went well. (didnt cry just whimpered) but when we weighed her she had lost weight! My GP said "oh that's why she cant sleep - she's starving". I felt like the WORST MOTHER ON THE FACE OF THE PLANET. I was in tears last night and just couldnt sleep either.

I thought she was getting enough. She was breastfeeding and sometimes not having both boobs and she was on 3 solid meals. I guess she was spreading her feeds out thinking she could feed during the night. But i was popping the dummy back in when i should have been feeding. (AGAIN FEELING SO GUILTY.)

There are so many issues...i've gotta just deal with it one at a time. I've been ranting since last night so i should probably just chill out and deal with her weight first...Its just that after 2months of sleepless nights i'm about to lose it!

Ann

ANN your not a bad mum!!!! please dont think that!!! how much weight has she lost?
    dont forget they slow down by this age with weight gain, had she had a poo before hand?
    she may have had a full tummy last time she was weighed so it might not be as bad as it seems

Dont feel bad hun... ur a great mum!!!! Im glad Ella's needles went well. Chels has hers on the 29th May.. then now more til November YAY!!!!

I have updated Chelsea's site now with new pics (page 2 & 3). Got her 4 month professional shots on there to!!

Ann - as AJP said there weight does slow down now cos they are becoming more active, ur a great mum u just have to look at Ella and u see that!

Kim - Chelsea is so adorable and those proffesional pics are great !!

well this morning Emelia only drank half her bottle :s i have no idea y but she wasnt interested?? last night she drank it all but was wringling around and didnt seem interested..she seems her happy bubbly self

HURRAH!!! back to the land of the self-settling!

Chin up, Ann - if you thought she was getting enough then thats all you can go by! as if you wouldnt be feeding her if you knew she was hungry. what an a$$hole of a GP anyways, how dare they speak to you like that!
    I know how you feel about having a lot of things to deal with. so why dont you calmly sit down and write down everything that is bothering you and then write down at least 1 or 2 possible solutions for each thing. post it on here for us to help you with if you like, or show it to DH (you know men are problem-solvers by nature) and then you'll get more ideas and options so that the next time things bother you you can look at your list and try something different. most important of all, just stay positive you're a fantastic mum!

ah Ann *hugs* it is so deflating when someone says those things to you. Matilda lost weight at 6 months even with consuming a HUGE amount daily, mainly due to her constant moving!!! She was on the go all the time & burned up heaps of food that way.

Jovie woke up at 4am and wouldn't go back to sleep & then at 5.15am did a HUGE poo so I think that was what woke her... but then she's only slept 30 minutes since Matilda's been having a tantrum day & Jovie's not sleeping & Mummy is at the end of her rope.... I just put Jovie in her swing & Matilda's just fallen asleep so I am taking 10 minutes off.

:hugs: Ann. Now put away the whip, and stop beating yourself up ok! Unless Ella has a window that indicates she is full or empty, how are you supposed to know...its guess work 99.9% of the time. DH will come into Aston's room when he is unsettled in the night, and ask me "what's wrong with him?" hmmmm...now why on earth would I know anymore easily then DH does???? Be kind to yourself darlin, your doing the hardest job in the world. today is a new day, and you will sort it out, and it will get better. slowly, but it will.

I'm getting a grobag too, aston is wiggling all over the cot now, yesterday DH went into find him turned almost round completely...not sure why but somehow this was my fault...must get those eyes in the back of my head, and the ones that see through walls checked!

Christy - you sound like me...when I have enough, I just have to walk away, and regroup then I can go back...lol

LOL okay, ate my sandwich, browsed BB and now to make a coffee & see why Jovie is starting to complain...

TARA yay on the self settling again!!!!!1

CHRISTY :hugs: hope the sanger was good!!!!!

VICKY sleeping bags are great!!! during the day sophie just slepps under blankets and wriggles on her back up the cot, but at night in sleeping bag, cant go anywhere!!

Kim - chelsea looks very cute! I love the rolling photos...that's what aston is doing now too, he is never where I leave him! and he gets extremely frustrated when he hits a wall. hasn't quite worked out that he just has to roll the other way! He is moving his legs up underneath him, and kinda pushing himself forward...not far, and not for too long, cause he gets cranky, but doing it all the same...too quick..I have to look at getting a gate!

does anyone know what thrush on your nipples feels like??? I have the sorest nipple, it stings. Aston has been chomping on it, but as yet doesnt have any teeth, but god its sore... sorry if TMI...trying to figure out what is going on, because other then mastitis I haven't had any nipple problems...

hmmm.... when I thought I had thrush because Jovie had it & my nipples were sore I felt a stinging like sensation, the LC said it wasn't thrush but was because of attachment issues that my nipples were sore.

Sorry cant help there Vicky. But the ABA consultant told me that once they have been chomped on wash the bub's saliva off because that will irritate the nipple and causes stinging... Perhaps give that a shot.

Thanks for all your support ladies Today's another day. I always try and stay positive and usually can ignore stupid a$$ comments but I trusted this GP and have known her a while.

Anyway yesterday i increased Ella's diet and let her eat as much/little as she wanted. (even tried to cluster feed - but she wasnt interested). Looks like Ella can handle 3 tablespoons of feed at each meal (3 times a day) and 5 BF a day. With lots of attention to keep her calm during her bedtime she slipped off to sleep and only woke twice!! A huge improvement to waking 6 times. We'll keep this up and see if it continues to improve in night wakes.

Christy you're right about the energy she's using. She's constantly sitting and wanting to stand (with my support) so she's burning up a lot of energy. When i weighed her last week at the chemist she was 6.75kg and this week 6.45Kg! The other thing is her *biting* that could have affected her interest in the boob. She may have been put off by my pulling her off all the time - but what else can you do!

Tara the other *big* thing that worries me is that she's getting out of her wrap all the time and pulls out her dummy (and now rearranging her bed sheets) I would love to look at getting her into a grobag but will have to do it slowly as she's always been wrapped.

AJP - can i ask why you dont pop Sophie in the grobag for her daytime naps?

Ann

Ann i dont put her in a growbag during the day so that she associated the sleeping bag with 'nighttime sleep', not sure if it helped or not but she sleeps very well at night!

I do the same with Emelia only at night..although didnt help last night :s she woke every hour from 12 im so tired and now she wont take her bottle?? she seems happy enough though. i dont know what to do

Ann -evie gets her arms of her wrap everytime without fail and it frustrates me no end. i would keep getting her out of her cot and rewrapping her but before i'd even picked her back up she had her arms out again. so yesterday i decided just to leave her, she pulls her dummy out too and plays with it but after about 1/2 hour or so she gets bored and just goes to sleep on her own. less stress for me and for her.
    I also think you need to remember that sometimes babies do have quiet days and dont each as much - or if you are bf'ing it doesnt feel like much but they might have slurped a lot down. just listen to your instincts and try not to overanalyse everything then you might get back to feeling good about how much Ella is taking and such

I was talking to DH about the whole contolled crying thing and how i just cant do it . anyways, DH said that a baby's cry doesnt make you feel good - it makes u feel frustrated and like you need to do something - isnt that what a cry is supposed to do?
    I agreed wholeheartedly -so why would i just leave her screaming in the cot for pre-determined amounts of time. i think that it doesnt matter if she chats away for 1/2 an hour or does those little cries that turn into smiles when you walk back in the room, i just want my baby to go to sleep happy, the thought of her crying herself to sleep makes me feel like a bad mother.
    thats my 2cents...anyone have change for a tenner?
    Last edited by taralee; May 5th, 2007 at 06:19 PM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast