Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born November 2007

From my experience both last time and this time the biggest trap I fell into was eating when I was really just thirsty. So this time I drink 2 glasses of water after each feed and the have a glass of water everytime I think I'm hungry. So far I have been losing weight slowly but surely compared to lst time when Iate too much all the time and didn't drink enough and had a real struggle in the end with my weight. And my supply is out of control.
    I have noticed a big difference in the last two days when I stopped drinking so much water, I'm always hungry and eating rubbish so its back onto the water thing today and I'll see how it all goes.

Ethan slept from 1030pm last night till 710am. I'm reallyhappy with this and hope it continues. I think the trick for us is to get him to sleep a bit before his last feed at night but time the feed to start anytime after 930pm. So as far as sleep goes I'm not complaining.
    My sister had her baby on Monday night, another girl (her 3rd) Alyssha Olga Greta. 8 pound 13 and 53cms long. She was almost 2 weeks overdates so was pretty easy to expect a bigger baby. Only prob is that she delivers so quickly that there is a risk of crossinfection with the strep B so they are on watch in hospital until Thursday.
    My other sister told me that she has joined Belly Belly in the LTTTC and assisted conception threads. Might go visit and she how she is. It's all happening in our family at the moment!!!
    Enjoy the beautiful day (for those in victoria anyway!)
    Just realised that I need to change my ticker... oops!

Hehe, Willow - I agree about looking like Jordan! I am only a few kilos off my pre-pregnancy weight, but I feel like an attraction at a gentlemans establishment at the moment! Sounds like DS might be going through a bit of a growth spurt for you, which might explain the 3-hourly feeds.

Hoody - I haven't really been doing any exercise, although lifting a rapidly growing baby is no exactly light work! I am the same, waiting the 6 weeks after the c-section before I start doing anything other than a few walks around the shops. Better to be sure your body is ready for it.

Misty - havent' bought any Christmas presents yet and really not sure what to get him. He has so much already and I know his grandparents are going to go a little crazy!

Joy - fingers crossed for your sister!

Here Jacob is being fairly settled. We had a few days of crying for an hour at around 6pm but that seems to have disappeared now. He tends to go for a sleep then for 3-4 hours which is great as it means DH and I get to eat dinner together. We even went to a restaurant last night with the pram and no dramas!! We were so excited. He is still a big grunter in his sleep but I am learning to let him go until he is actually awake or crying before I pick him up and this is extending his feeds a bit more as during the day for the last few days he has been feeding 2 hourly (which I am sure has something to do with the heat).

Oh, got to go, just heard a big wet fart through the baby monitor. Not sure if any nappy can contain that!

Wow, lots of posts! I came on yesterday but for some reason I couldn't get into anything, so am trying again.

Weight - well, I am not sure if the BFing is working, or the constant pacing/moving, or the lack of food, but I am almost at pre-pregnancy weight. I lost 6 kilos before I got BFP so I am about 4 kilos away from that. I know what you mean about the eating. It is 11 o'clock already and I really need to get something to munch on. Luckily I am a normally thirsty person, so tend to drink at least 2 litres of water each day.

Willow - yes, have read the SOS book and there are some good tips - like make sure I burp him more and really work to get it up. I am better now at recognising when he has air in his tum. It takes a while sometimes, but has its rewards by him not spewing it back up. Other things, like the dream feed etc just don't work. Like everything I guess, you take what you can use, and disregard the rest. Yeah, that info on Tresellian would be great. How do I send my email address?

Also Willow - I think I definitely got the unsettled bub from the rack. He sleeps from about 7 pm (after some serious fighting) until about 11.30, then is up again at 2, then 5 then fights again for about half hour, then into bed with me, then another feed at 7 then will sleep until about 10. This gives me enough sleep, even though it is a bit disjointed, but I feel more human. I tried to extend out his feeds using a dummy and what not, but I agree with (Joy?) that if he really wants to suck, then I would prefer he suck on me, rather than a dummy at night.

I too keep reminding myself that it does get better. As bad as it sounds, it is really nice to know that this is normal, and other mummies have had similar issues with their bubs. It can feel so isolating and lonely when everyone elses babies seem like angels and yours is there screaming until he is purple!

Joy - wow a whole night sleep! I haven't had that since pre-pregnancy.

As for us, getting into a sort of routine, but it is more weekly than daily. Caden is a lot more settled now and has some really nice awake time where he makes faces at me and pokes his tongue out. They are the moments I love most and am looking forward to more of. It seems that for the last 8 weeks he has mainly been good when he is asleep, which is such a shame because I really wanted to play with him. Now he is better and more alert, so playtime is a bit more interactive and I am less stressed.

Christmas pressies - I thought I would buy some toys that he will be able to use soon. I would buy them anyway, but it will be more fun to have them under the Chrissy tree! I love the "baby first Xmas" decos as well, so cute!

Well, better go eat something, do washing, make phonecalls, wrap pressies, etc etc before DS wakes up.

Have a great week everyone!

Dragonbub - have to be very quick but just wanted to say don't feel isolated or alone because my DS is following the same pattern as yours almost exactly! And while some people will tell you that their babies sleep like angels in my experience, it's never an ongoing, permanent thing. They might be as perfect as newborns but sooner or later pretty much all mums will have issues with sleeping, feeding etc. No baby is perfect!

Just enjoy his awake time and try not to stress about his sleeping etc (says me, the biggest sleep nazi of all time!! ) Very soon he'll be so alert and fun that the good will far outweigh the bad. I always feel so much better and all warm and gooey when DS gives me a smile, doesn't matter how stressed or cranky I was before, it always makes me remember what I went through to have this little boy and how lucky I really am.

We've got DS one big present for xmas - he seriously does not need any more clothes and already has some toys I've put away for him, plus what he'll get from grandparents etc so we've decided just to leave it at that. We got him one of those play centre thingos that they can sit in and bounce etc? OK, that was a pretty dodgy description so I hope you get what I mean! LOL.

Dragonbub- I agree with Willow they change so quick. Molly was feeding every 1.5 to 2 hrly last week and then this week at night she's been having a solid 5hrs but i'm not expecting it to last. It's like DD1 knows though as when Molly is sleeping well i am getting up to her. In other words i am still sleep deprived.

With regards to putting on weight (i mentioned this in an earlier post) i am not huge or anything and i am still only just heavier than i was when i fell pg but i dont think it will be easy for me to shift anymore if i keep eating like i am now Lots of you said i may be thirsty but i am drinking about 2-3L a day. I am going to try and have a glass of water every time i want to snack though and see if it helps.

Well Molly has been fairly good today (wish i could say the same about DD1.) I am taking Molly to be weighed tomo and looking forward to getting some reassurance that she is gaining weight on booby juice. I'm sure she is doing fine though it's just nice to see that she is growing. SHe is fast asleep now and this is normally her unsettled time so i hope that doesnt mean we will have a rough night.

Hope you are all doing well.
    take care

Dragonbub - forgot to say yesterday, if you PM me your email address, I will send you that tresillian info.

After waking 3 hourly again last night DS has had a great morning, sleeping well with very little settling.

Just thought I would pop in and say hello, as I am the mum of a nearly 3 week old little IVF miracle.
    He is a bit colicy at the moment, and only really wanting to sleep when he is held, so we are on a very steep learning curve here. But he is very very cute, so that makes up for my lack of sleep at the moment!!

Hi all,
    We are doing a little to well here which makes me wonder what next. DS is being generally easy, lots of lengthy unsettled periods in the evenings but other than that he is pretty good. My mum and MIL keep telling me that their babies were like DS2 but I am wondering if their memories are hazy but no need stressing about things while they are good, just gotta relax and enjoy.
    DS1 is currently asleep, we had mum's group here today and he was completely whacked after they left, good for me!!! he's sleeping well at the moment.
    DS2 is awake but chilling in front of the window, hes been having a bit of a squawk but nothing I've needed to get up for.
    We are looking at buying another business and am currently trying to decipher the figures that we have been given. To me it is all a bit confusing which is worrying as i'm meant to be the one out of my DH and I who can understand this kind of stuff. Gotta get back to it and see what I can work out.
    hope your sleeps get longer and the smiles come more often!!!!
    enjoy!

EJE- welcome to the thread and congrats on your new DS.

JOY- something i've come across is all grandparents had perfect bubs I"m sure your DS is been good. My DD1 was an angel and i'm sure ppl didnt believe how well she slept etc. We never had any major issues she was a breeze. So far DD2 is lots more work

Had Molly weighed today and she is up to 3.66kg so doing fairly well thats 800g in 4 wks
    well best be off she is crying (i'm sure she knows when i sit down)

Welcome EJE - sounds like our little boys are twins! DS is an IVF bub and was/is also very windy and colicy and wanted to be held for the entire first two weeks of his life!

Hoody - Must be hard for you at times when DD1 was such a good sleeper etc. You'd think I'd be coping a bit better because DD was no angel either! LOL. I do think DS is a bit more unsettled in comparison though.

Hi Wllow. Hoping that now we have enetered into week the colic starts to settle down. Would also love not to have to hold DS all the time, or rock him, so I could ge some sleep. People tell me it gets better... at this stage am not so sure... can see me doing this for the next 18 years!!

Hi everyone,

Well! So much for 'popping in' a little more frequently...! I hope you're all well.

We have had our 4 week check with our maternal healthcare nurse & our little girl is growing beautifully - nearly 4kg now! She is just about smiling, though at this stage her biggest, gummiest grins are just as she's falling into a deep sleep. Hehee, so cute!

Hoody - our nurse mentioned Ellis' 'nice' sucking blister at our appointment yesterday and wasn't concerned at all. They come & go and she doesn't appear to have any attachment issues. I'm sure the nurse would have mentioned it otherwise because she's had a good inspection at feeding times! How are your headaches btw? Better I hope.

EJE - I hear you hun, I felt the exact same way and was a bit of a mess for the first few weeks, lots of tears and not much sleep!

I PROMISE it will get easier and he will settle down a lot over the next few weeks. Hang in there!!

For the wind/colic - try Infant's Friend. I was giving it to DS at every feed in the first few weeks but now he only has it for night feeds (as this is when he tends to have most problems with wind). We found it really helped. You can get it at most chemists and it's about $10 I think.

ajw108- Molly still gets the occasional sucking blister but they have calmed down alot i guess like our nipples their lips need to get used to sucking. Lovely to hear your little girl is growing well and smiling. I sometimes think Molly smiles but then it doesnt happen for ages and i wonder if maybe it was just wind,lol. I am still getting VERY freguent headaches and have been told by my mchn that it isnt common but not uncommon (if that makes sense) when BFing. I am trying not to take anything for them unless they are really bad as i dont want to be living on drugs. (mind you i had to take some panadol today) I had bad headaches up until i was about 28wks pg so i thing its a hormonal thing. Hope to hear from you again when you have the time.

Everyone else- hope you and your bubs are all doing well and still coping beautifully.

We are doing ok. I am still exhausted i feel i cant win. Molly has been sleeping quite well at night with one stretch of between 4.5 and 6 hrs however DD1 is cutting her molars and is not sleeping much at all at night. I guess if its not one it will be the other keeping me up. I dont mind too much as i knew what i was doing when i had 2 close together though it can be hard esp if both unsettled at the same time )i had both girls screaming at 4am today! We have a christening this arvo and i am godmother so that will be fun with looking after both girls etc but at the same time i'm sure their will be lots of ppl willing to cuddle DD2 if she is unsettled.

well take care and i hope you all enjoy your weekends

Wow, Hoody and Willow, sounds as if my bub isn't the only grumpy one in the world! I don't know how you could manage two of them at once, I think I will wait until Caden is 10 before trying again, LOL.

Welcome EJE - I hear you hun. It is a trying time, DS was actually pretty good in the first few weeks, but the last 5 weeks have been very trying. It can put so much pressure on you, your relationships, and your health. I am in the same boat, so the only advice I can offer is to take up as much help as you can, every offer - accept! If there are no offers (as with us, we have almost NO family support) there is lots of community support available, or if you can afford it - buy it!

Joy - I agree that grandparents must forget what their bubs were like. If I am having a bad day, Mum just mentions how it is normal and how she had such a hard time with us, if I am having a good day, mum talks about how we were perfect angels (though I think she is just trying to one-up-me rather than her memory failing - but that is another issue...).

We saw the paed the other day, CAden has put on 390 gms in 9 days! AND he grew 3 cm. No wonder he is grumpy - the doc said that he is injesting the equivalent of 20 litres of milk a day. He has made his own growth curve, that is pretty much going straight up, not yet curving. He said it will calm down soon and that the growing is the reason bub is so unsettled. Fingers crossed this is the case.

Had immunisation the other day too, but Caden handled that really well. Had a VERY unsettled day yesterday though, so am hoping that was just the after effects - Day 3, is this normal to still have side effects?

Well, he is sleeping now so have had a moment to jump on and catch up with y'all.

Have a great week!

Dragonbub - hang in there, he will settle eventually (sooner rather than later hopefully!) I have emailed you that tresillian info.

We are doing pretty well still. DS has slept in his cot in his own room the last two nights and seems to be sleeping better in there than in his bassinet in our room, which means I've been sleeping better too. I hate it though and have been sleeping in the spare room just to be close to him LOL! Not such a great long term plan for my marriage, but for now it's working.

His sleeping is definitely improving and apart from the normal unsettled times/days he is much more settled and easier to settle to sleep. We're getting there! He is enjoying his awake time more and is a happy boy, smiling and 'talking' to me which just melts my heart!

Hoping to take him for his 6-8 week check up with our GP tomorrow - going to ask her about his 8 week needles because he is 8 weeks the week of xmas and then we are away for 10 days so not sure when to have them done. I'd prefer later than earlier.

Hope mums and bubs are well...

Hi all - thought I might jump in here. DS was born on the 12th of Nov by emergency C section after a long and difficult labour. He was also overdue (11days) and jumped the gun on the induction that was scheduled for the 14th!

Just feeling like I'm getting a hang of this 'mum' thing now, but that's subject to change with no notice ;-) The latest trick around here is a sudden and stubborn insistence that daytime sleeps are a thing of the past. I'm really hoping that this is a phase that he'll be over soon.

Willow - by any chance was the paed that did your son's circ in the St George/Sutherland area? We moved just before DS was born and I don't know anyone in this area to ask. I'd rather choose someone based on recommendation than chosen at random - YKWIM?

Hi everyone
    Well its been a few days since I've been able to get near a computer. We have had visitors galore over the last few days, having a bit of a rest from them now, but expect more over the weekend. We had the day from hell with DS on Sunday. From 4:30am to 7pm he slept a total of 1 hour and spent the rest of the time crying and grizzling. He didn't seem to be in pain or anything, just a very unhappy bub. Not sure if its something I ate and really can't think of anything different I had the day before. The poor thing was so exhausted when he did finally crash that he slept for 7 hours.

We had our 6 week checkup yesterday and he is now 5.4 kg (thats 2kgs above his birth weight) so I'm pretty happy with that. He got the all clear and the paed doesn't want to see him again. Yay!! I got checked out too and my Ob is happy with the way my scar is healing and given me the all clear to do some exercise, although I don't expect that to happen too much over Christmas.

Loving the smiles I am getting at the moment. It makes you (almost) forget the broken sleep when you get a bit grin when they see you.

Welcome EJE and Sass

Dragonbub - has Caden settled down after his needles now? Jacob is due in two weeks and was wondering if it will unsettle him a little.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast