Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Babies Born November 2007

hi girls!

Good day today - so hot! No sun though which is a bonus Bubba been sleeping most of the day, except when I wake her up to feed her...wonder what is going to happen tonight now! lol

Feeling a lil lonely/depressed at the moment - not sleeping well either. I never needed much sleep anyway and not really getting tired...just gets lonely having an empty house with DP gone for 2 weeks at a time. Having all my family and friends in Melbourne is hard too...Think my mum is getting sick of me ringing everyday for any reason I can find! lol Oh well...Hump Day today...Daryl back next Wednesday...And poor old Charlotte! We go through the whole routine of settling her and putting her down and then an hour later Mum wants to pick her up and cuddle her!
    *must find that rescue remedy!*

June - I had to pack up the 0000 jump suits when I brought her home - her legs were too long! lol But its so hot here most of the time she gets around in a singlet anyway - so many clothes she doesn't wear...all going up on EBay.

Suse - Charlotte had only put on 100g a week before Chrissie, have to go back to CHN tomorrow to get her weighed again...Fingers crossed that shes bumped up to the 30-50gm a day that they wanted her at ...It took her 3 weeks to get back to birth weight (3.77kg) Otherwise I have to start comp feeding her

Doing her footprints on her Birth certificate (finally arrived in one piece!!) just have to figure out a way to do it without her kicking and fussing and smudging the paint! Any suggestions if anyone has done it?...would love to her them!

Hope you are all surviving in the heat...power to the cold shower!

Hey Limesplice. I did Caden's foot prints and just got DH to distract him while I was doing it. I held his foot pretty tight but he didn't seem to mind. I tried again a week later and he kicked up a stink, but did it anyway. They don't smudge too much if you are quick and go straight on the canvas/paper whatever. Alternatively, do it when she is in a deep sleep.

I hear you about the weather! Mandurah is a degree cooler than Perth, if that is any consolation. My sis and mum live down there, and it is such a lovely place except for the mozzies. Don't feel lonely. Have you joined your mothers group? There should be one nearby you can attend.

Suse - I also wouldn't worry too much. The "ideal" is 150 - 200 gms a week, which does sound a little bit more than your bubba, but being a "biggen" might mean he doesn't need as much. My fella has put on an average of 350 per week since birth, but he lost more than 10% of his birth weight initially, and then only gained 70g the first week.

I recommend expressing anyway to build up your supply. That way when the nasty growth spurts hit, you already have enough for them, and they are less grumpy (I read that in a book somewhere and it makes sense). I always expressed, just to get some milk saved and I definitely think it helped. Besides, too much milk is better than not enough (just keep your pump handy if you are going out for more than 3 hours - the BBs can get sore!)

June78 - I agree on the "change daily" routines. It is only now at 11 weeks that we finally have a semblance of a routine. And that was by recording his sleep and awake times on a chart for three days. Shows how thick I can be, Caden gets grumpy at 6.30 each morning and wont go back down. After realising he has had his 1.5 hours of sleep, I have finally discovered that 6.30 is just the time he wants to get up! Too bad if I want a sleep in, cos he wants to play. Last night I mapped on the chart where I thought his feeds would be based on the last two nights, and sure enough, he was within half hour of my crosses. Clever boy, he knows what's going on, if only his mumma could catch up.

On the sleep routine - OMG! I don't want to speak too soon in case I jinx us, but what a difference! My little man could not "switch off" and was just getting more and more tired. That meant during his awake time, he was still extremely tired, and therefore very irritable. Every little fart would aggravate him. Now (after a painful couple of days of crying) he has learned how to fall asleep on his own in his cot, and get himself back to sleep after he wakes up (he has taken to his left thumb, which is VERY cute and most convenient). So far so good, fingers crossed. We have some lovely awake time and play time. I also get the chance to put him down, as I think he was an over-handled bub and really seems to relish in his own space.

Well, I am thrilled, (touch wood) that everything is improving. The magic 12 weeks is just around the corner and hopefully from here on in things will get a bit easier.

Hope you WA chickies are coping with the heat, and everyone else has a great week!

Dragonbub- Its so great to hear you sounding a bit happier. Molly is the same and once she is up in the morning (anywhere between 5 and 7) thats our day started too so too bad if DD1 and DH sleep in Molly and i are up.

Limeslice- Sorry to hear you are feeling a little lonely but it is understandable. As dragon bub said have you joined a mums group etc? I'd be lost without mine.

June78- Glad to hear your mastitis is much better.

Suse- Both my girls have been slow weight gainers. At 4 wks DD1 was only 160g above her birth weight and was alway very lean. I could never dress her (and still cant) in anything without an adjustable waist band. Poor kid does not have and ounce of fat on her. Molly was weighed today and is now up to 3.94kg thats just a 280g weight gain in 3wks. She started off well but has slowed right down.

Well Lil Miss Molly is still been a PITA but we are coping ok although the heat is disgusting. Thankgoodness for air con. But you ladies without it i know how you feel i never had it when DD1 was little. We went to the CHN and it looks like Molly has a bug and that is why she is so unsettled at the moment. We had her weighed and measured and she is up to 3.94kg and 57.5cm long so she has put only 280g in the last 3 weeks but has grown lots in length. My CHN isn't bothered much about the slow weight gain as DD1 was much the same etc and we are having lots of feed and wet nappies etc. Well she is crying again so i better go play the milk machine game for her. Have fun and talk to you all soon
    Last edited by Hoody; January 3rd, 2008 at 02:41 PM.

Suse and Limesplice - i honestly wouldn't be too worried about the weight gain that you have. It really doesn't sound too bad to me. Some babies will have weeks where they put on a lot of weight and not at other times. I agree with Dragonbub about the expressing, it is the best way of increasing your supply if that is what you are worried about. If you start comp feeding it just works to decrease your supply and then you get in a bit of a vicous cycle. In QLD there isn't a regular CHN that you go to unless you go to your local chemist, so I haven't worried too much about weigh-ins apart from the 6 week checkup and next week when we have our immunisations. I am just going on if Jacob is happy, alert and filling nappies.

Dragonbub - I have been charting Jacob since we came home. Really only when he feeds, but it has been interesting to see patterns develop. I do know he has a monster poo sometime between 4-5am (and has had since he came home) which means he is pretty grizzly until that happens. After that we get a little more sleep thank heavens. Last couple of days he is feeding about 4 and then not waking up until 7 which is a reasonable start to the day. I would love for the 4am feed to disappear, but I won't hold my breathe.

Limeslice - make sure you get out of the house a little. Mothers groups are great, but it could just be as simple as going out for a walk. Maybe there is a mums and bubs exercise class you could join (i'm about to start that). I have days that fly by and I have no idea where my day has gone and others where I sit around wondering what to do with myself. Not used to be on my own so much but I am making an effort to get out and meet people as much as possible. Not easy for an introvert like myself but I am getting there.

So sick of the rain here. It has been raining pretty much on and off for about a week. Summer has compeletely disappeared here in Brisbane. I really want to go for a walk with the pram but there is no way we are going out in this.

Limesice- I did my little mans hand prints when he was lying asleep on DH's chest. We just watered down some non toxic acrylic paint, wiped it on his hand with a cotton wool ball, and then pressed his hand on the paper with a book underneath.

Oh thanks Limeslice I was just wondering what you guys were using to get the prints. I had no idea.

So very tired this morning. Jacob decided he didnt' want to sleep between 4-10pm last night. Actually I think he wanted to sleep just not in his cot. We would get him settled, put him in his cot and he would automatically wake up. Back and shoulders so sore from rocking him to sleep.

I did molly's foot prints in plaster this morning now that was hard she would curl her toes evry time they touched the plaster so they look a bit funny but oh well. With DD1 i used a non toxic paint and did it on card and gave them out as thankyous for all the gifts they where much easier than the plaster

I am hearing you on been tired Limeslice Molly didnt want to sleep last night either! But she is sleeping well today. I wonder if she is confusing day with night lol.

Hoody - wasn't yesterday absolutely gross? I had a wedding to attend and had my little man in just a nappy. It was sooo humid, with no sun out, and no breeze. The reception was great though, left bub at home with DH and enjoyed the aircon at the venue.

LimeSlice - how did you go with the Mother's group suggestion? Mandurah is tricky, but I am sure there are centres down there that allow mum's to drop by. It is also good to get out of the house for a walk. bit hard at the moment with the weather being the way it is, but even if you got a gal pal to look after bubs in the arvo and you could go for a walk on your own. Sounds like you need a bit of space? You are doing so well, what with DP away for 2 weeks at a time. I am not sure how I would cope, you must be a saint! If you are having difficulty without DP around, maybe talk to your CHN about support options that might be available (eg Silver Chain, Red Cross, etc). They might be able to send a vollie around to give you some assistance.

June78 - I think charting is great. It allows you to see patterns that you don't normally notice. It means that I know if I have a late night, then I wont get any sleep. It is easier just to go to bed earlier, than to pray that Caden will sleep more. I think he is doing much better now, and seems so much happier when he is awake! So glad he doesn't have reflux or anything, he just needed his sleep

Well, all is heaps better here (still touching wood and pinching myself). As soon as I see those tired signs, off to bed. He is so consistent, once my hours up, thats it! I pop him in his cot and he will grumble for about 10 minutes but will fall asleep. NO rocking, NO tantrums, and NO over-tiredness. I think he is so clever, to be able to put himself to sleep. They really are such marvellous creatures aren't they?

Better be off and mop the floors. Yay...

Well so glad its been a little cooler here!! lol...poor lil thing still getting all sweaty everytime I feed or cuddle her e- have to put a musy around her so she doesnt stick to me!! But shes coping SO well! They really are very resilient.

Picked up a flyer about a 1st time mums group/ seminar thing at the med centre yesterday...got to talk to the CHN next week about it. Have my antenatal class "reunion" this Sunday too, so thatll be interesting...just always been a bit shy like you June! Baby is good excuse to meet people though! Most of my friends over here are in Perth and are Chefs, so catching up with them always proves to be difficult - wont drive up there with charlotte in this heat...but hat should get easier as she gets a lil bigger i hope!

Charlotte got weighed and measured yesterday and is up to 4.3Kg (3.788 @ birth) and 56cm YAY! lol and been sleeping really well the last couple of nights...she was awake from 3 - 5.30 this morning, but was happy to occupy herself looking at her fist and MooMan (her stuffed cow - fav toy) So we slept in this morning, but she just seems to do her own thing...she doesnt need me already!! (except for food) lol

Got onto the FlyLady website too...lol - shined my sink at 4am and feeling very good about myself! I think itll be good for us...keep me on the straight and narrow. With DP away all th time, its hard to be motivated to keep that place looking good - he isnt here to see it! lmao Clean like mad the Wednesday I pick him up!

Charlottes footprints are all done now! Did them in some non-toxic paint - i was just stressing about it cos they had to go straight onto her Birth certificate and I didnt want to screw it up by myself! But, she was all snoozy yesterday so i just sponged the paint on and held her foot and *sploge!* before she knew what was going on and had time to curl her toes! Turned out pretty good, the second one was a lil smudged cos she was on to me by then...hehehe all done though!

Dragonbub - really glad to hear the lil man is much happier - well done on the sleeping thing - so nice when they can settle themselves! Hope it all continues!

Well, gotta go do a 27 Fling Boogie! lmao

Hey girls – Im back!

I must say how excited I am to see so many new posts and a few new girls joining in since I’ve been away!! It can be a bit quiet in here.

This is gonna be a long post so grab a cuppa – I’ve been without a computer for over a week!!

Wow, sounds like none of us are really having a dream run here are we? LOL. But we just need to remember that our babies are still very young and as Hoody and I have said about 1,000,000 times, it does get better (Hoody – who we trying to convince, them or us?? LOL!)

As much as I’d like to say I had a great holiday, um – I can’t! Was pretty much the complete opposite of what a holiday should be! Was great spending time with my parents and DD had a ball but DS didn’t sleep very well and DD had a few sleeping issues too (just a different environment and didn’t want to go to sleep in a strange room) so it was pretty stressful for me trying to do it all on my own without DH there. Worst NYE of my life with two unsettled kids who wouldn’t go to sleep!!

Mum and dad were a big help but mainly helped out with DD while I spent most days trying to get DS to sleep!!

We had a few good days, had a day of shopping, went to the beach etc and his nights were pretty good but he just can’t work out how to resettle himself when he wakes up during a sleep and I feel like I’m doing everything I know how to do and it’s just not making any difference. I know I shouldn’t expect to see a huge improvement until around 12 weeks apparently when they are much more able to self settle, but it’s such hard work and most days I end up completely stressed out by the end of the day.

Generally his first sleep of the morning is very short, he wakes after 40 mins and generally I can’t settle him back down. After about 30 mins of trying I get him up until his feed (which is usually 20-30 mins later), feed him, leave him for 10 mins or so and then put him back to bed. So this totally blows the whole feed, play, sleep thingo but I just cannot get him to go back to sleep!

Sleeps for the rest of the day are a bit hit and miss, sometimes I can resettle him after he wakes 40 mins into his sleep, sometimes I can’t. I’m guaranteed one good sleep of 2-3 hours, usually in the middle of the day but the others are a bit yuck. I’ve averaged it out and he sleeps for about 5 hours total during the day and about 10 (still doing 4hrs, feed, 3hrs, feed, 3hrs) at night, which is about right for his age (15 hours in 24 at this stage apparently) but his day sleeps definitely need some improvement.

Our CHN is back on Tuesday so I’m going to see her to get a referral to Tresillian (sleep school). I think what I might be doing wrong is not allowing him to put himself to sleep because in the beginning that will mean him crying and I just can’t stand to let him cry when he is still so little so I go into him straight away. I can feel that I’m almost ready to let him have a bit of whinge so am working on that today before I go into him.

The heat has been killing us too, it is sooo humid over here. DS is never in much more than a singlet and nappy or just a nappy. He has a horrid heat rash over his face and under his neck where his double chin hangs! LOL!!

OK, will do a pathetic attempt at personals but apologise for anyone I miss…

Dragonbub – have been wondering how your day stay at Ngala went and matey, I am soooo thrilled that you’ve seen such a huge improvement in Caden!! Well done. We never saw a huge overnight improvement with DD, it was a gradual process that eventually worked, so I’m not expecting miracles with DS, but I’m confident that these same techniques will help us. I think I just need a refresher, I’ve kinda lost perspective now I think! Sounds like Caden was probably just overtired a lot of the time which is why he was grumpy? Luckily DS must be getting just enough sleep because when he is awake he is so happy, smiling and talking and very content.

Hoody – sorry Molly has been so unsettled for you! I hope she improves soon, it tends to wear you down after a while. I’m glad DD1 has settled down, she’s probably getting used to the new routine and Molly being around.

EJE – I hope your DS has settled a little (man, I'm starting to hate that word 'settled'...'unsettled'...'resettle'!!!). It is hard having them stuck to you all day and before you know it you are exhausted. Same thing happened here. I just got to the point at about 3 weeks where I knew I couldn’t do it anymore so I just put him in his cot in a darkened room and settled him in there by gently rocking him, waiting for him to get heavy in my arms then putting him down in his cot. He did cry but then I would settle him without picking him up by patting, stroking his face etc. We haven’t had a day since where he needs to be held to sleep etc but I’m not sure if that worked, if he improved with age, or if its because that’s when we started taking him to his chiro. Do you wrap him when you put him down? This works miracles for some babies who aren't wrapped. It sounds like your little boy is like mine and likes lots of cuddles and to feel secure, so this could really help if you're not already doing it.

Suse and Limeslice – I agree about the weight gain, I wouldn’t be worried about it. Every bub is different, my DD took forever to gain weight, was very lean and petite and was never above the 50th percentile for her age for weight. She is still very lean. I b’fed her exclusively till 6 months when she started solids (and this didn’t make any difference to her weight gain by the way, she was still slow to gain it) and she didn’t wean till 16months when I had my m/c and was very ill in hospital. So as long as your bub is happy, is gaining weight (no matter if it’s not what they ‘should’ be gaining) has plenty of wet nappies etc then don’t let anyone convince you they need formula. If you think that supply might be an issue, then try to express to increase it, but generally it’s supply and demand, you will make what your baby needs.

Can’t remember who it was that said they were moving bub into another room but we did the same thing because he is so noisy! Every little grunt, groan, fart, would wake me up and I don’t think DH’s snoring was doing wonders for DS either

Anyway, best be off. We’re approaching the 40 min mark for this sleep and no doubt he’ll wake up again. Sometimes I feel like I’m in resettling hell!!

***ETA: OMG, OMG, OMG - he's been asleep for nearly two hours and I haven't had to go in to him??!! I think he must have resettled himself!! Woohoo - clever little man. Not expecting too many repeat performances just yet though...
    Last edited by Willow; January 5th, 2008 at 10:43 AM.

Dragonbub- I'm hearing you on the weather this last week has been gross. We had one day it got to 46 and it was YUK. We do have air con so are lucky but it makes it almost impossible to try and get out and i find it more hard work been stuck at home on my own with both girls. I'm so pleased that what you learned at ngala is working for you. Caden does sound very clever learning how to resettle- they are amazing arent they. Hopefully you will be ableto sit back and enjoy alot more of him now. How is your DP coping?

Limeslice- Shining your sink at 4am you must be mad- lmao. Glad you have looked into getting out etc it really is good for you. When i had my DD1 my CHN started a 1st time mums mothers group of all the babies born in our suburb within 8 weeks of eachother. We started off with about 20 of us and now almost 2 yrs later 10 of us still get together weekly and we have made some firm friendships. All of our kids are the same stages etc so we all have common ground. Its funny all but 2 of us have had 2nd babies or are pg. What i am trying to say is in the beginning it was hard to open up and become friends with these ladies as i was shy but having a child has made it easier.

Willow- Yay i knew youd be excited at how much the thread has grown. I was wondering if you'd be back soon- you were missed. Sorry to hear you had sleeping issues when away but we always have the same prob. I always find i need a holiday to recover from the holiday we've been on. If it makes you feel any better I had a yuk New Yr Eve also. Molly was extremely unsettled.

Well it looks like Molly is over the worst of her bug. Thank goodness i couldnt take another day of unsettled bubba. Yesterday she was quite a bit happier and today she has been a star. She has suddenly started having an extra feed during the night (and is also feeding more often in the day) but i can handle that as she settles straight after. I am assuming she is having a bit of a growth spurt as she is sleeping and feeding lots. Dh and i had a rough week (the roughest we've ever had as a couple) i guess when both tired it takes its toll on the relationship. I even had one morning i contemplated leaving! We've both realised its just the stress of adjusting to having 2 children and less time for eachother etc. so we have both been making more of an effort. I feel a little lost like i dont know who i am anymore apart from a wife and mother. I feel like i am been a little selfish for feeling that way but like i told DH i am looking after everybody else and no one is looking out for me iykwim. Well things still arent 100% between us but they are improving. Well sorry this turned into a long whinge i must have needed to get it off my chest.

hello, hello!
    I love reading all the posts from you (even though I don't get a chance to post very often), it helps to know that we're not alone in our sleepless little world...

Paisley is doing much better during the day and having 2 good sleeps of about 2 hours each. She goes to bed at about 8ish and then wakes sometime between 1and 2 usually, feeds and then the drama begins. I did have a good night last night at she only took an hour to get back to sleep and then didn't wake again until 6.20 this morning. Usually she only wakes once overnight for a feed which I'm not complaining about, it's fantastic for a 6 weeks old bubba it's just the time it talkes me to get her back off to sleep which is the prob. I went to Tresillian when DS was 8 months old so I'm going to start sleep training with her in the next couple of weeks. I feel she's too young yet so I just cuddle and rock her to sleep and throw in the odd boobie too in really tough moments.

An odd thing she does is she won't sleep in her cot during the day. She'll sleep in her bouncer in the living room with no bother but will not settle in her cot. Night times no problems she'll stay in her cot but day times - no way! She'll be too big soon to sleep in the bouncer so that will need to change. Any ideas on convincing my precious princess that her cot is a good spot for a daytime snooze?

My MIL is going home on Wednesday so I'll be flying solo from then with my two little terrors. My DH works long hours and isn't usually hom until 7pm so it's a long day on my own. I'm looking forward to playgroup getting back together already and I'm thinking about getting Ewan into a 3 hour permanent spot at day care. I don't want him there all day just a 3 hour play time to get him out of the house and playing with some more children, he's so full on I think the extra playtime will do him good.

I hope you are all doing well and bubs are starting to sleep better. I think the magic 6 week mark makes a big difference and most bubs get the hang of it a little better.

I went to Tresillian when DS was 8 months old so I'm going to start sleep training with her in the next couple of weeks. I feel she's too young yet so I just cuddle and rock her to sleep and throw in the odd boobie too in really tough moments.
    Krisp - I agree. We went to tresillian with DD too, initially for b/feeding problems when she was 4 weeks but we did about 4 day stays till she was about 4 months old. I've been trying to use their techniques with DS but so far, not much luck. Although reading about other babies around his age here and in the Dec thread too, I realise he's actually not doing too badly.

I am waiting till he is 12 weeks and then I'm really going to start getting serious about self settling etc. I've spoken to Tresillian about it a few times now (I'm so neurotic ) and they've told me from 12 weeks they are developmentally much better at self settling.

Generally he sleeps well at night, its his day sleeps that need work, exactly the same as his sister!

Any ideas on convincing my precious princess that her cot is a good spot for a daytime snooze?
    We had the same problem with DS initially. He was sleeping in his bassinette in our room during the day but that wasn't working so one day I just decided enough was enough, popped him in his cot, closed the curtains to darken the room and just stayed with him till he settled. Being in his cot in his own room and darkening the room made a massive difference for us. Now he is in his cot day and night. He just seems to settle and sleep better there.

DD starts pre-school on the 31st (she's going 1.5 days) and while I am a bit sad about it and will probably cry on the day (Hoody - surprise, surprise! LOL) I am looking forward to spending some one on one time with DS and I think it will be fantastic for her! We do go to playgroup but she's never been to day care or anything so I think it will be great for her to have some play time and interact with other kids. I am also looking forward to being able to go out without it turning into a sideshow which often happens with a toddler and a baby!
    Last edited by Willow; January 6th, 2008 at 01:19 PM.

Hoody - I hear ya hun. It is probably the most trying thing on a relationship that you are ever going to face, and so many couples do eventually break up over it (maybe in 18 years time when the kids leave home and you are left wondering what you see in each other anymore). It is SO important to take time out for yourselves. Set a goal maybe to go on a date at least once a month. We get Caden looked after by a friend (well, we have done twice now in 2.5 months) and go out for dinner together. It is like it is our first date all over again! As for YOU time, that is very important too. Again, leave bubs with DH or a friend and go for a walk, go shopping, just a drive or go get drive-through coffee. That way it gives you a moment to reflect on your feelings, what you want out of life besides mothering. There IS more to life and before you were a mum, you were a person too.

Willow - great to have you back. Your holiday sounds good, although it does sound exhausing. It sounds like your bubba was the same as Caden - couldn't work out how to put himself back to sleep. I guess it depends on how brave you are (I couldn't have done it without the help of Ngala) but maybe just keep trying until he finally does it on his own. It may take a few hours (on our first day with Caden it took over an hour) but will be worth it when he finally works out how to fall back asleep. I think I ended up digging a hole with Caden, in that initially he would just fall asleep in my arms anyway cos he was so small. Then I got into the habit of rocking him to sleep (right around 6 week mark where he had "the week from hell"). Then it got so bad that he would only sleep for 40 minutes before I got him up again and had to hold him in my arms all day so he would sleep. Obviously this was exhausting, I had a grumpy baby, and was a wreck! Now I just pop him in his cot and off he goes. I hear him cry after about an hour, but he settles himself again and only ever cries for a few minutes. I sabotage it if I go in there too soon. As for your ETA - sounds like he has the idea, just keep reinforcing it by allowing him space to self settle.

As for us - all is good! I can't believe what a difference Ngala has made. Now when he is awake he is happy and when he starts to grumble, I put him down without complaint. I have also learned to back off and allow him floor time by himself. I think I got so afraid to leave him because he just cried, that I ended up smothering him all day. Now I can let him play under his mobiles and he is happy until sleep time. This gives us some great together time, as well as his own space.

A question on thumb sucking - Caden has learned to suck his thumb, which is great as he can self-soothe back to sleep. Only now it seems that he focusses on sucking so much it takes him a while to fall back to sleep. AND he has a sucking blister on his lip! I encourage him to fall asleep on his own without putting his thumb in his mouth, to ensure that he can get to sleep without sucking. I am just concerned that by the time I think he is ready to get up, he has actually had less sleep than what I think because he has been trying to suck his thumb. Oh well, one drama just leads to the next! But things are TOTALLY getting better and I am so much happier.

Well, thanks for listening to me whinge over the last few weeks. It is only now things are improving that I realise how bad it had gotten. DH is much happier also.

Have a great week (we have a funeral tomorrow ) and it is going to be 40 degrees!

Well today we had our 2 month immunisations and poor Jacob screamed his little head off. I felt like such a horrible person holding his leg still for the needles, but its much better than the alternative! Handed him over to DH for a cuddle and he instantly went to sleep. Poor thing! He weighed in at 6kgs which I am really happy with for 9 weeks.

The last few days with Jacob have been amazing. He is just developing so fast. We are having lots of conversations now and he is discovering lots of new sounds he can make. Its always fun watching his face after a new or loud sound that comes out of his mouth. He seems to think our ceiling fans are people as he will "talk" to them for ages or just stare at them giggling. We have one of those playgym things that you lay them under and they can hit thinks and they make noises, well today he was able to get his coordination right and he was bashing away on it. This leap in his development though has meant that he has decided day time sleeps aren't important any more. After a few days of fighting to get him back to sleep DH and I just decided to let him decide what sleep he needs. Obviously if he is showing tired signs we get him to sleep (and he goes down well), but if he wakes up and we can't resettle him after about 10 minutes we just let him stay awake. It has made for a much happy environment since then.

Willow - welcome back. Sorry to hear your holiday was not particulary restful. We seem to have lost the feed play sleep routine at the moment too, but I really think its just temporary.

Hoody - I hear you on this being hard as a couple. Last week I was so fed up with feeling like the hired help. All I seem to do is housework and baby settling. But I know its pretty hard on our partners as well. Everything has changed so dramatically and so quickly. But the fact that you guys have realised and are making an effort will make all the difference.

Krisp - I think thats a great idea to get Ewan into child care. It will give you more of a chance to spend quality time with Paisley and he will love getting out and socialising. Not sure about helping you with Paisley sleeping in her cot during the day. Maybe just make sure it is really dark and quiet like it would be at night (but I'm sure you've tried that).

Dragonbub - Jacob has just discovered his thumb as well, althought at the moment he settles for his whole fist or a few fingers. Not sure whether its a problem with sleeping or not. If he seems rested enough then he should be fine.

Hi to everyone else, hope all your babies are behaving.

Quick question for those of you that are putting your baby down for a sleep while they are still awake, how did you move to this? At the moment most of the sleeps that Jacob has are when we cuddle or rock him to sleep. Sometimes we can put him down in his cot when he is semi-awake and pat him to sleep (but this doesn't work even 50% of the time). I know we shoudl be teaching him to sleep on his own, but we have tried a few times and its a dismal failure.

Hello Everyone.

Like June78 we took Molly to have her 6 week check up today (a little late as she is 8wks tomo) and the Dr gave her, her immunisations while we were there. I was not expecting them to be done so was not mentally prepared but at the same time was lucky that MIL had DD1 so i didnt have to contend with her at the same time. It was very diff to getting DD1s done. With her it was one needle at a time with me holding her but this time they had me lay molly on the bed and 2 nurses did both needles simultaneously a leg ea at the same time. It was over with alot quicker but harder for me not holding her while they administered it etc. I dont know which method i prefer though. We had them done at 9am and have had a shocking day. Dont know if it was because of needles or a coincidence but poor thing was miserable all day. On a brighter note we had her weighed and have just hit 4kg (4050g) so i am pleased.
    I am in quite a good mood though because DH and i have finally decided that we are going to put DD1 in family daycare one day a week. We got a flyer in the mail for a lady who has positions available who lives only one st away. I know my MIL will help out often etc but i really want a guaranteed one day a week where i can run errands and go shopping etc. Plus i think DD1 really needs a little more structure and this lady sounded like everything i wanted from daycare. I am going to meet her and have a look around on Thur so fingers crossed all goes well.

Krisp- Does Ewan have much contact with Paisley or isnt he really interested in her? DD1 will not leave molly alone at all. I cant leave her within reach ever and its starting to drive me mad. She HAS to have a hold everytime i go to pick her up or else she will try to take her off me etc and will get rough with her (pinching and hitting etc) I have to shut the door if she is in cot or bassinette as dd1 will climb up and in which is scary as she has just started to open doors so it's starting to concern me. I do let her hold her all the time and she "helps" with daily tasks etc but no matter how much i include her she just wants to be with her all the time. She even cries for her if i put her in the car 1st or a diff room etc. So basically wondering if Ewan is similar and if you have any tips etc.

Willow- I know what you mean about pre-school i am about to put dd1 in day care and as much as i want to i will be sad too but i need a day with jsut molly to get things done etc. ROFL at the sideshow at the shops. I jsut dont go anymore lol its in the too hard basket.

Dragonbub- i like the idea of date night i will have to introduce it into our relationship. At the moment we do something similar but is a family date where every weekend no matter what we have planned we will do one activity/outing as a family even if its just out to feed the ducks at the park etc which is mainly for dd1 benefit but good time for family bonding etc.

June78- how did Jacob cope after his needles? With regards to putting bub down awake what i do is give Molly a feed/cuddle and when she is obviously tired i wrap her and put her in bassinette/cott and walk out of the room. If she grumbles i will go back in and pat her etc if she gets too upset i pick her up and cuddle her til she settles and do it all again often she will lie there quiet and extremely tired but will fight sleep for up to half an hour b4 actually going to sleep.

Everyone else- i hope you are all doing well and getting lots of sleep

Hello everyone & an extremely belated Happy New Year to you all!

Welcome also to the newbies since my last post (.....way back in 2007 ) It's so lovely to come back in see all the new posts! I tried checking while we were away but my Dad's old peddle-powered 'puter wasn't up to the challenge!

Well, DP & I came home on Friday after spending almost 3 weeks over the Christmas break at my parents house in Canberra. So good to be back! By my calculations, 3 weeks worked out to be about two weeks too many! By the end of the 2nd week, I just wanted to be back in Melbs with my own little fam, enjoying the 'Just Us-ness' of it all.

Ellis is going along brilliantly, growing & just being generally beautiful. Best of all, she's smiling & talking to us all the time and it's amazing to see how rapid her development is. I love it! I've never had a complaint about her sleeping habits - we're fortunate I think, having read some of your posts. She's sleeping in her cot since we came back and seems to like it. She managed to spin herself 180degrees the other night, so I went to a big, gummy grin and found her totally uncovered and unwrapped with her head where her feet should have been!

(june78 - It sounds as though Ellis & Jacob have been plotting... She has more or less decided that day sleeps are for the weak and has done away with them most days! (Having typed that, DP just announced 'She's crashed out again!'). I have mothers group on Thursday & we're covering sleeping and self-settling techniques, so hopefully I'll have some tips & tricks to share..)

She had one T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E day in Canberra, the day after we'd arrived where the poor little thing screamed from around 10am to 10pm. I think she had horrible pains in her tummy & despite being exhausted, couldn't sleep for more than an minute or two (oh yes, that's right!) before screaming again.

To make matters a little worse, DP was following us up a few days later when he finished work & I was alone with my own (s)mother who, I'm convinced, still thinks of me as the naughty 14 year old who caused her so much angst all those years ago.

We'd been taking it in turns to try to make little Ellis feel a little more comfortable so she could get just a little sleep, without success until I said to my Mum 'Give her to me & I'll take her for a walk outside. It should help her sleep, even if it's just in my arms while I'm walking'......it was met with a curious glare and so I left it until the next doze-scream-doze-scream cycle and said it again...again the glare.... I said it FOUR TIMES and she wouldn't give her back to me!!

It wasn't until I gave her a very 'meaningful' glare of my own and suggested she come too that she relinquished my child to me. Totally bizarre behaviour, like she didn't feel Ellis would be safe with me. I never really addressed it with her though because I was far more concerned about my little bubba's comfort and waaay to exhausted to bother bringing it up when it all blew over.

Ellis finally slept at about 10.30pm and spent the night in my bed. Seeing her so upset during the day was heartbreaking but the night time cuddles made it all better.

We have her 6 week check up this week (a week late), then we have immunisation the following week. I’m not looking forward to it at all.

Hope everyone is well & happy and your babies are being kind to you!

X
    AJ

Hey ladies!

Well we went to the CHN today and guess what?! They (there were 2 nurses there today, not sure why) said DS is doing fabulously, and that I need to just stop worrying about his sleeping!! YEY!!

They were saying that he's probably in a better routine than they'd expect for a 9 week old so I am doing a great job. They also said that because he's doing that really good sleep of 2.5 hours in the middle of the day and he does self settle during this sleep and he's sleeping well at night not to worry. If he was awake for hours on end and not even doing one sleep cycle then they would be concerned. They said that at this age they look more at the accumulation of sleep in 24 hours as opposed to their sleeping patterns or how long they sleep at a time.

He's still putting on heaps of weight (he's up to 6.25kg ) and is healthy and happy so I'm really going to try to relax more and just enjoy my boy!

Since we've been home from holidays he's kind of settled into a routine during the day: He has four sleeps a day, the first one is usually a short sleep of only 40 mins and generally I can't resettle him during this sleep. His next sleep at around lunch time is generally 2.5 hours, I sometimes hear him wake but he will self settle back to sleep and I don't need to go into him at all. Then depending on what time it is, he'll do another two shorter sleeps, sometimes an hour, sometimes 1.5, sometimes only 40 mins. If it's late in the afternoon, say around 5pm, I don't even bother trying to resettle him. I just get him up and then we do our bedtime routine and then he's down for the night at about 6pm. He is doing about 12/13 hours overnight with 2-3 feeds which take about 10 mins each so I am really happy with that and getting plenty of sleep. I hope this lasts!

The last two days he's done 15 and 17 hours sleep in 24 so he's spot on and getting more than enough sleep.

I've also been working on getting him to self settle to sleep this week too and he's getting better and better at it. I just wrap him, put him down, sometimes give him a dummy depending on how he is, and then walk out. He usually grumbles for a few minutes (and this is getting less and less) and I only go in if I think he needs me too. No more rocking, patting etc.

I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders - he's not a crap sleeper!!
    Last edited by Willow; January 8th, 2008 at 07:04 PM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast