Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Babies Born October 2005 #4

Kell Guest

Hi all

We are back from our holiday on the coast a week early due to a huge fight with my MIL - it wasn't pretty :fuming: Other than that the kids travelled really well and Molly's cast has come off!!! She handled it pretty well and is now in a brace for 22 hours a day so we have a lovely two hours to bath, cuddle and try to start walking again

Will had a huge 10hr sleep our first night away - I was really happy! Since then he usually sleeps about 7-10hrs a night, so if i wake him up at 9 or 10 he sleeps through to 6 or later which is really great. Although last night he woke up at 2 for a feed and then 5 and then 6.30 so i am a bit tired...
    He has to have another ultrasound to check his hips as his first two have conflicting results, yay I am still doing both bf and formula. He is having 2 bf and 3 or 4 formula, i think my supply is drying up and so he prefers the formula and i am trying to decide whether to try and boost my supply or wean him. I am tron because with molly etc i don't relish the thought of a grizzly baby for two days while i boost my milk but i don't want to give away bf completely either *sigh*
    Does anyone still wrap their baby to sleep - we do and I am wondering if it is too early to wean him off being wrapped as it has been so hot? If there are any unwrapped babies out there do they still sleep well?
    Cheers
    Kell

Kazzy Guest

Hi All,

Linda, some babies just don't seem to need the sleep. Eden still has a couple of naps of around 1 to two hours during the day - she is feeding more often now - which is good. I am taking her to the clinic tomorrow so I hope [-o< that she has put on weight. I have been working so hard at trying to increase my supply, that i will be shattered if she has lost more weight. Keep fingers crossed for me.

Nikki - what a great girl Chantelle is settling herself! Eden does self settle during her day naps, but just seems to need that extra little bit of help at night. I don't mind though as DH baths and puts DS to bed.

Tracey - how did Jordan go??? It is great that you got to go out for dinner and that Jordan slept for you - what a good little man. 20 - 30 mins of settling isn't really too much so you must be doing somthing right!!! Well done. =D>

Kell - sorry to hear that your holiday had to be ended shorter than expected. I hope that all gets worked out with your MIL ( if you want it too that is 8-[ ). I bet you love those two hours with Molly without the brace! Are you having to do some physio with her?? I hope that Will has a favourable ultrasound - not fair on you having two in a brace although I am sure you would rather they pick up Will's sooner than Molly's. I am atill wrapping Eden although she seems to break free most times ](*,) . I think that once her harness is off I will start to loosely wrap her or maybe just leave on arm out. She doesn't really try to suck on her fists or anything - just tries to lick the blanket!!!!!!! Will probably woke more due to a growth spurt - seems typical of most of our babies I think. This growth spurt according to the 'WOnder Weeks' should only last a couple of weeks and then we will have a long period of relative peace!! As for milk supply, I am in the same boat trying to boost mine - very tempted to use formula although I think that Eden has an intolerance to cows milk based one's. So soy is the only other option. I am going to see if she has gained any weight since Thurs (she lost 100 grams in 2 days last week). If there is no gain then I will serioulsy think about my other options. It is hard not to feel like a failure, not being able to feed my baby the way she needs it. I breastfed my son for 8 months and never had any issues. He wasn't as good a sleeper as Eden though and fed more often.

Kazzy

Kazzy - don't feel like a failure! I could only breastfeed Dylan for 8 weeks before putting him on formula, and he weaned himself last week. He's happy and healthy and putting on weight so I don't feel guilty at all! I'm a bit annoyed though - I've put up with a bad back from D cup boobs for years and they don't even do what they were made for!!! :fuming:

Kell - you must be thrilled with the 10 hour sleeps! The most we've had is a couple of 8s and I was so happy. Usually we get around 7 followed by a 2-3.

Kazzy Guest

You're right Donella - as long as the babies are getting what they need, then how they get it is secondary. Thanks for that O My boobs started as a b cup then ended up a very saggy DD Don't know what they heck I can use them for after this - leg warmers maybe!!!!!!!!

Good luck tomorrow Kazzy - I really hope she has a big gain!!! I wont get to find out as we are going away tomorrow for 2 weeks, so wont be able to check in - but i'll look forward to a positive result when I'm back!!

Hope all your bubs are well. Talk again in 2 weeks!!!

Hi All

another weekend gone and only 2 weeks left till I have to return to work I am getting upset at the idea that I may miss out on the 1st time he rolls over etc. I guess most DHs miss these things as they are at work so I guess if one of the grandmothers experiences it when they are baby sitting atleast they will be excited about it.

Kazzy - Well Jordan went back to his 4 hr feeding at night last night. We put him to bed at 9.30 after a feed. He woke at 1.30am and then 5am. I dont think he actually slept from 5am till 8am when I got him out of his cradle. He was making grunting noises when I left him and making same noises when I got back. I still got enough sleep so I was pleased with that effort. He has been fed again at 9pm tonight so we will see if the sleep is any longer tonight.
    It is hard to feel disappointed when you feel like you dont have enough milk. I had that problem weeks ago but now seem to have built it up again. I expressed in between feeds to do this.
    I hope you get some good news at the MH app tomorrow. Keep us posted.

Kell - sorry you had to cut your holiday short I hope you sort things out with the MIL. Tension in the family can be really hard.
    WOW on the 10 hr sleep that seems like a distant dream for me at the moment.

Nicole - I am glad to see that Chantelle has worked out going to sleep on her own this is one of the most important thing bubs needs to learn I think, for all our sanities.

NIGHT NIGHT LADIES i will let you know what happens tonight. Heres hoping for a long sleep

howdy doodie chicky babes,we were very busy cleaning out our garage today and beleive me we started at 9am and didnt finish till 8.30 pm tonight,anyway i was trying to think of a way to occupy chantelle and deciced to try the jolly jumper,i thought that there was no way she would be ready for it,but she loved it,she was bouncing away for hours and was laughing and talking and having a ball.so i suggest to those of you who have one to give it a go,it was fabulous.
    chantelle is having her appointment tomorrow with the dr to book in for xray of her hips,will let you know what he says.
    any way,chat with you all later.
    linda have a great time away.
    nikki

Nikki - I'm glad Chantelle enjoys her jolly jumper. We've got one here too, but I haven't got around to putting Benjamin in it. It's on the list of things to do I think, that and moving the cot into our bedroom.

Linda - Have a safe trip away!

Kazzy - I so no what you mean about the saggy boobs I went from a neat D cup to a very full DD cup.

Kell - We've never wrapped Banjamin. He gets frustrated, because he likes to constantly move his arms and legs. He sleeps fine unwrapped.

Anyhow, the boy is stirring so I better go check on him.

Melissa

hi All, been sooooo busy here. Cleaning and mowing etc. Dh spent all his time doing his cmputer room and moving his computer stuff out of the back room (HURRAY, it's only been 18mths since we moved in and he promised to clean it up! now I can set that room up for play rather than ruining the loungeroom carpets!....well I will be able to when he's finished cleaning it!). I did the oven (god it was a MESSSSS! Dh just doesn't seem to clean it as well as I do and having spent the whole time since we moved in pg or recovering from births I haven't been able to do it), cleaned both bathrooms, tidied the kitchen, mowed the lawns (DH had been promising to do it for months, he hurt his foot in the computer room so I ended up doing it) and we both washed the cars..... This was after I already scrubbed the loungeroom carpets on hands and knees and did our washing etc last week. Not to mention looking fater two babies.... think I have a right to a lazy day today. Een the duromine hasn't helped much. I'm very tired.
    Duromine stops you feeling hungry and increases your metabolism so you do lose weight. Will let you know how I go....

I still wrap Jess, will stop when she starts crawling I think. I just direct a fan at her if it's a hot day.....and I only ever use muslin wraps.
    As for the jolly jumper, I didn't think jess was old enough, but I might givce it a go this evening.....see how she goes...

Gotta run....Kat's in loungeroom by herself and has learnt to climb onto lounge by herself. Fall off disaster!!

Hi!

Just a quick one from me - You've all been chatterboxing too much - hehe!

I tried Louis in the jolly jumper on saturday but only for a minute. He had a big smile though. I will put him in it again today for a bit longer. I thought I'd ease him into it.

Yep - I still wrap Louis - I find he sleeps better when he's wrapped. Dh wraps him so much tighter though that he can never wiggle out whereas he generally can with me. If its really hot or he's just zonked it I just wrap it around his legs.

Glad to hear you're all well... not much else from me..

Well ladies i had a brain wae at 4am this morning.
    Jordan woke up for a feed after I fed him at midnight, he is normally a 4 hrly baby. I thought to myself, NO, you have gone longer without a feed so I stuck the dummy in and rocked him back to sleep.
    He woke again at 5am and I did the same thing.
    Jordan is certainly no small boy so 6 hrs in between a feed at night certainly wont harm him.
    He woke again at 6am and I fed him and put him back to sleep.

I think I am going to string his night feeds out to 6 hrs even if he wakes to train him not to wake up as he wont be getting anything. I hope this works.

Nikki - gee you were motivated with the cleaning, please send the bug this way. I need it.

Krisvee - I am glad Louis liked the jolly jumper. We have one but I dont think Jordan has good enough head strength just yet.

When did your bubs hold their head up at tummy time. Jordan generally just sucks the rug yet he can hold his head up when sitting up?????

Hope you are all having a nice day, HUGS TO THE BUBS

Tracey - well done... that's how Dylan learnt to sleep longer thru the night. Good luck! He holds his head up fine, but doesn't bother thru tummy time. I guess once he decides to get moving he'll hold it up then.

The Jolly Jumper is for use from 3 months, so I guess that is about now... We'll wait a couple more weeks before trying Dylan in his as he was born at end of Oct so isn't quite 3 months yet.

We still wrap Dylan but only his arms. He likes to kick his legs out. We only use muslin also and I don't think he gets too hot - he only has a nappy underneath is it's a warm day/night.

Kerrie - sounds like you've been very busy. We had a big clean up yesterday also as we have some visitors coming over the next week or so.

I start parents group tomorrow, but this course is with babies older than Dylan, so when the October babies course starts in March I'll swap over. It seems silly to wait till the babies are 3-4 months old to do the course, but the CYH is so busy in my area there are huge waiting lists and they're understaffed. I would rather have done it when I was scared and stressed with a newborn than now when I'm happy and comfortable in my mum role! Oh well, better late than never I guess...

Tracey - Benjamin has been very strong in the neck from the start, so as far as tummy time is concerned, he has no probs keeping his head up.

Benjamin is at the stage where he grabs anything you put in front of him. It all doesn't go into his mouth, but he'll have a go.

I took Benjamin to get weighed at our local chemist today. He's now 8.3kgs :shock: He's very solid, just like his daddy.

Melissa

Kazzy Guest

Hi All,
    good news - I weighed Eden today and she had put on 130 grams in 4 days WOOHOO \/ SO hopefully things are on the improve. I go for another ultrasound with Eden on Wed to see how her hip is going. Then she will have the harness refitted. I really think that it is starting to annoy her when she is feeding as it pulls on her shoulds when I lay her on her side. It seems very tight now - I am sure she has grown in length in the last 4 weeks so it is boud to be tighter.

Nikki - goodluck with Chantelle's ultrasound - I hope that it comes back OK and that she doesn't need any intervention. But if she does, let me know and we can have a good chat. My DS loved the Jolly Jumper - we used to put River dance on - (being of irish heritage) and he used to dance around for ages. I will put Eden in it to if she is allowed after her harness is removed. Her head is still a little too wobbly though - not much tummy time - too uncomfortable.

Tracey - I know how you feel about going back to work.. When I returned after my DS was born, he was eight months. It was still hard - I cried when I got to work and just kept talking about him. The big problem was that I was the Director of a CHildcare centre and was looking at babies the same age as him. It was a constant reminder. I only went back part time - three days a week. Once I got used to going and leaving him (he was with my Mum) I actually enjoyed going to work. I changed jobs twice and just kept working part time. I am not sure if I am going to go back to work this time. My last job was as a Parent Educator teaching parenting courses so it is something that I can do part time at night if I want. The only advice I can give you is - try not to worry about missing any milestones. Having worked in childcare for 15 years - very rarely did we see a child's firsts - they usually reserve them for home. Also, childcare staff will probably not tell you anyway so that you think you seen it first ! (ha ha) Where are you leaving Jordan when you go to work and are you returning fulltime or parttime?

Melissa - are you going to try Benjamin in his cot? I am not ready for Eden to move out of my room yet either - I think I will have to move the cot in too when she gets a bit bigger.

Donella - bummer about the mums group. I am sure though that you will all enjoy hearing each others stories when you do get together. Eden holds her head up when I am holding her - we don't do much tummy time as the harness straps are a bit tight.

Kazzy
    xx

Kazzy Guest

Hi All,
    good news - I weighed Eden today and she had put on 130 grams in 4 days WOOHOO \/ SO hopefully things are on the improve. I go for another ultrasound with Eden on Wed to see how her hip is going. Then she will have the harness refitted. I really think that it is starting to annoy her when she is feeding as it pulls on her shoulds when I lay her on her side. It seems very tight now - I am sure she has grown in length in the last 4 weeks so it is boud to be tighter.

Nikki - goodluck with Chantelle's ultrasound - I hope that it comes back OK and that she doesn't need any intervention. But if she does, let me know and we can have a good chat. My DS loved the Jolly Jumper - we used to put River dance on - (being of irish heritage) and he used to dance around for ages. I will put Eden in it to if she is allowed after her harness is removed. Her head is still a little too wobbly though - not much tummy time - too uncomfortable.

Tracey - I know how you feel about going back to work.. When I returned after my DS was born, he was eight months. It was still hard - I cried when I got to work and just kept talking about him. The big problem was that I was the Director of a CHildcare centre and was looking at babies the same age as him. It was a constant reminder. I only went back part time - three days a week. Once I got used to going and leaving him (he was with my Mum) I actually enjoyed going to work. I changed jobs twice and just kept working part time. I am not sure if I am going to go back to work this time. My last job was as a Parent Educator teaching parenting courses so it is something that I can do part time at night if I want. The only advice I can give you is - try not to worry about missing any milestones. Having worked in childcare for 15 years - very rarely did we see a child's firsts - they usually reserve them for home. Also, childcare staff will probably not tell you anyway so that you think you seen it first ! (ha ha) Where are you leaving Jordan when you go to work and are you returning fulltime or parttime?

Melissa - are you going to try Benjamin in his cot? I am not ready for Eden to move out of my room yet either - I think I will have to move the cot in too when she gets a bit bigger.

Donella - bummer about the mums group. I am sure though that you will all enjoy hearing each others stories when you do get together. Eden holds her head up when I am holding her - we don't do much tummy time as the harness straps are a bit tight.

Kazzy
    xx

Kazzy - Haven't got around to shifting Benjamin's cot into our room yet. We will be doing a few trial runs first, once we get the cot in there. We'll probably only put him in there at night. It's DH that really wants him out of the bed now, so we can have some more time together
    For the happiness of Eden, if it's getting tighter, is there anyway you can get it adjusted?

Melissa

i am a bad bad girl,i hardly ever give chantelle any tummy time,naughty!!!!!
    she only ends up crying cos she cant get her face off the ground,in saying that she handled the jolly jumper really really well.
    she went to dr today,he didnt really know what to say about her hips so has now refered me to see a peadiatrician in 2 weeks time.
    my youngest son has gastro today,lots of spew going on here,i just hope he doesnt pass it around,i couldnt stand being sick while trying to mother 3 children,and of course i dont wont my little sweety to get it.
    nikki

Nikki - don't worry too much about tummy time... I read that in American Indian communities babies are often kept strapped for many months when they are born, but they still learn to crawl and walk at the same rate as babies born in cities. As long as a baby gets love, food and attention the rest is just a bonus - she will still develop perfectly normally. A lot of babies simply don't like tummy time, and it's really only our society that makes such a big deal about it.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast