Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born October 2007 #6

Default Babies Born October 2007 #6

This thread is for parents who's baby was born in October 2007.

Your moderators for this forum are as follows-
    Christy - [email protected] ~ Administrator
    Lea13 - [email protected]
    Sherie - [email protected] ~ Senior Moderator
    Astrolady - [email protected] ~ Administrator

There are many issues that you will encounter as a new parent. We have put together this list of useful articles and threads in order to assist you with some common questions or issues you may have, and to provide you with bit of extra support that we all need as new parents:

Feeding Support:

Breastfeeding General Chatter
    Breastfeeding FAQ's
    Is My Baby Hungry?
    Bottlefeeding FAQ's and Useful Information
    Is Feeding Your Baby Taking Too Much Time?
    Bottlefeeding General Chatter
    Feeding Your Baby
    Starting Solids/Homemade Baby Food
    Starting Solids - When Is My Baby Ready?
    Starting Solids General Chatter

Please contact the Australian Breastfeeding Association (ABA) or a Lactation Consultant if you are concerned that you may have breastfeeding and/or supply problems, and before the introduction of solids.

Sleeping Support:

Comforted Sleeping & Sleep Issues Forum
    Comforting Tools to Aid Restful Sleep
    Babies & Sleep
    Controlled Crying/Comforting/Sleep Training
    The Con of Controlled Crying
    The Crying Game
    15 Ways To Help Your Baby Sleep

Other Useful Information & Recommended Reading:

Baby Massage
    Cuddle Me Mum
    Infant-led Feeding & Weaning
    Baby Wearing
    Recommended Reading List

Got questions?

Post your questions in the forums mentioned above, or in the following forums where you're sure to receive many friendly responses!

General Baby & Toddler Forum
    Breastfeeding, Bottlefeeding and Solids
    Gentle Parenting Forum

Please note - To receive thread notfications click the "thread tools" button at the top of this post and click "Subscribe to Thread" there is no need to post in order to get notifications.

Previous Thread

Ah finally cool weather again! Heat and babies is not a good combo!!

Amen to that Kim!

morning everyone.

Tyron had another good sleep last night im hoping his routine sticks for a while!
    fed at 10.30pm, woke at 3.30am but quickly went back to sleep, woke at 5.30am brought him i for a cuddle and we slept till 6.30am!

Claire- Nixon doesnt yet understand the concept of staying put and being a good boy lol! so do u know if the cafe has high chairs? if so he can hopefully stay entertained for a while eating in the high chair. I have always frowned on thesebut i m seriously thinking about getting one of those lead things so he cannot run off from me. Apparently u can get ones that are like a little backpack and in the shape of an animal ie: monkey etc, so they dont look too much like a dog leash lol!
    has anyone else had to use one? My MIL tells me all the time how DH used to run off on her all the time and she used to have him on a leash otherwise he'd be gone.... maybe its in the genes??

speaking of which i bought 2 shirts for Ty from cotton on Kids yesterday. One says "Its all in the genes" and the other says "I am Santa's homebody"and i got a very much appopriate one for Nixon " Been there Wrecked that"

LOL Nic - I need that "Been there wrecked that" t-shirt for Joel! He wrecked another bush of ours yesterday, another plant bites the dust...sigh... My sister has one of those backpacks you are talking about for her DS because he likes to run off too, she seems quite happy with it.

good news from my camp this morning - we have HAB'd successfully. there was a bit of grizzling and fidgeting but guess who has been asleep in the HAB for 40 minutes now. i could actually hold him AND make breakfast and do laundry. (what glamour!). i'm happy not sure how i would remove his sleeping carcass to get him into bed but i'll deal with that at a later date. i think for now this will make all the difference for breakfast and dinner time when he kicks up the biggest ruckus.

about cries - he mostly sounds the same. i tend to go by his pre-cry cues. he does the carnival clown mouth when he's hungry or sucks the back of his hand. when he's tired he's yawn central. when he's windy he has a little purple mouth or purple feet. i thought about getting dunstan baby language but figured i'd rather head the cry off at the pass than listen to it.

at his 5pm ****box hour, he is just crying because. that was the hardest thing for me to learn. some say it's because they get so much stimulation and input during the day that they need to vent. there is some argument that the back arching and things people blame on colic or wind is just emotional expression - i think of what toddlers do when they're chucking and emotional/tired spak - lots of arching and throwing themselves around.

so... the new MO for witching hour is just to support him through his cry. i hold him for as long as i can, and DH will have a go. he stops when he's ready - and it's usually in time for dinner. doesn't work if we're both fried though... then we have to put him in the cot and mummy goes out and sits on the letterbox with a coffee for 10 minutes. eep. haven't done that since i was a teenager, lucky the letterbox is big enough.

question 1: how many of you are exclusively b/f?

question 2: what do i need in my pump/bottle kit etc.

i went to get the Medela electric at Target yesterday but they were sold out. Then i saw all these bottles, milk bags, sterilisers and ya ya ya... so... i'm wondering what i need to get so i can get it all in the one hit and not have to run out later.

also - who belongs to ABA and is their book any good? is it too militantly bf?

are there any good websites about expressing breast milk... the how tos and whens etc??

re: little boy leads
    my MIL swears that DH would have been MIA a long time ago had she not had him on a lead. she says it fosters a sense of security in them, especially in really busy shopping centres etc. not sure what i'll do when the time comes but i can see the logic in the meantime.

Chelsea to has been destructive....got into the kitchen draws last night and decorated the floor with white garabage bags, or her bedroom floor with wipes...kids!

Glad ur having a better time now with the HAB Viv. I hated mine so much i sold it...never had kids that need to be held so wouldnt have worked for me any how.

Great night again. Woke Jas for a 11pm feed and she slept thru til 6.40, straight back to sleep. We are going out today ( to see Trish ) so hopefully both girls will behave!!

Viv im in ABA....now i see it was a waste of money, but i found the book a good read...now just a dust collector until next bub comes along and ill pull it out for some reference maybe.

You'd better keep those girls in line while you are here Kim Just kidding, Joel and Kieran will give them a run for their money!

Viv - I am exclusively b'feeding, but not expressing. I have an electric pump just in case, but hopefully won't need to use it. If you buy a pump, most come with bottles, but if not, just check what size bottles they take (i.e wide or narrow neck) and buy a couple. You will also need milk storage bags, check to see if they need a clip or anything at the top, hopefully they come with the clips. I think that's all you would need, but maybe an expert will come on and tell you more!

I'm only BF'ing too. Have been meaning to give expressing a go, have another two weddings coming up would be nice to leave her with mum for a few hours.
    I have a manual pump that came with a couple of bottles and bags viv. It all looks a bit confusing to me. Might try and work it out this week some time. There are a couple of threads on here about how to express, how much, when etc. It seems there are varied opinions, as usual with calf rearing!
    Have the ABA Book, some interesting reading, but you could do without it. It is as you would imagine, and you just take the bits out that appeal to you IYKWIM? Mine is a friends, otherwise i would give it to you, infact if you like i can post it you can read and post back? I guess i found it built my confidence a bit.
    How good is the HAB, hands free cuddling! Makes shopping easy too.

Kim- at least she wasn't destructive with a texta!

Nic- there was a thread on those leads. some good points. i know what you mean about the whole animal lead thing, but if it stops nix from running into the path of an oncoming car or dissapearing, who cares what it looks like?! Pre baby i thought they were terrible, now not so judgemental!

Trish- be nice to meet you and the fam, hope you can make it to Ricketts.

I voted yesterday so i dont have to join the cues on Sat.

LOL Ange...give Chelsea time and she will find textas fun.... she nicks off with my pens now...so far so good though! Looking forward to meeting up, hopefully will be nice weather day too!

Argh voting....we have Chelsea's party Saturday too...i think its going to be an early start to the day.

Ive seen those leads....i always giggle when i see kids on them...but best to keep them close and safe.

At least down south you have the promise of a cool change. Up here it is relentless for months on end. But I guess for many of us thats why we live up north!

Went to bed at 9.30 last night. DS woke around 10 but DH got him and I don't even remember either of them coming to bed later in the night. DS woke at just before 3, so 5 hours for me is great. Mind u he was up again at 5 then 6, and since 7. Will be putting him down shortly.

Don't really do a lot of play time with DS. He grizzles whenever we put him in his bouncer or play mat. We do take him for lots of walks so he gets some stimulation. Need to work on this.

Viv - we have the Avent ISIS IQ pump. We chose avent as it seems to be a complete system from pump to bottles to store the expressed milk that can also be used for formula etc later on.

Also we downloaded Dunstan Baby Language. TBH I found it a bit gimicky. Essentially she has identified 5 words/sounds that communicate the essential baby needs (feed me, burp me x 2, pain, tired). Haven't put it to the test yet. I think the physical cues are important and so easy to miss.

Going to try & post my SS present today.
    Nice to have some cooler weather again, poor Maddi did not enjoy it.

Did we decide on Dec 12th at 12/1pm for the meet-up?

Viv - I agree with Saffi. While I was trying to bf and was having troubles with sore/cracked nipples etc I sent DH out to buy a pump cause I was a mess. I agree with Saffi - Avent is the way to go for the same reasons she said. I got a manual pump but lookin back now I wonder if my venture into bf and expressing would have been more successful if we had spent a little more and got an electric one. My pump came with everything I needed - pump, storage containers, bottles and teats, spare parts and instructions.
    Good luck with it - its not as hard as it looks - just a bit time consuming - but what else is new with a baby?! LOL
    Saffi - I know what you mean re the cool change. Since I have been back in Cloncurry it has not gotten below 30 during the day and has gotten as hot as 38. Luckily it is dry here. In Townsville it was more humid and, I thought, a lot more uncomfortable.
    Now for the silly question - what is HAB??

hug-a-bub. an elaborate fabric baby sling that winds around you and holds bub against your chest.

there are pics on the net if you google it.

Ohhhhhh - I have both a sling and a baby carrier and she HATES both! Screams non stop from the time I put her in it until I take her out!

Mo yep that date and time is good for us!!

Aw we just got home from visiting Trish...and Kieran is soooooo cute

No cool change here, boiling hot Ryan's been having 60mls of water at 1 & 2 hours after a feed and still wants a bottle at 2.5hours. Going through a million nappies but its keeping him cool and hydrated..

Wasn't AF afterall, was the passing of more gunk, followed by lots of pain and then more gunk and now no bleeding.

I can't make the Sydney meetup although I don't think neone was expecting me too, have inlaws from overseas coming over to see their grandson.

Anyone else feel like its a bug invasion? I swear there are more flies and ants every year!

i just went up the shops with Ty and put him in the HAB! Mum came and took Nixon to se my pop.

Im bf now thankgod but in regards to expressing both times i have hired a u beaut one. but i beleive Advent electric are pretty good. Mygf just gave me hers cause as of tomorrow the hire oe goes back. but notdoing hadly any pumping these days. In regards to bags i was buying the expressing bags from the chemist but at about $9 for 10 it became too expensive for me. so then i bought the small zip lock bags from franklins for a couple of dollars. U can still write on it the date and tme and qty so much chaper option.

Kim & Trish hope you guys have fun today!
    Kim sounds like Jas did a similar sleep to Ty, makes a diff getting some decent sleep at night hey.

MCHN came again today. Weighed Tyon and he was 4.33kg! so he put on 100g in 5 days, thank god cause the week before he lost 100g.

oh oh ANGE how do u go and vote? tell me more! i dont wanna go standing in lines on Sat and i have a creative memories scrapbooking day to get to!

so maybe i need to by a lead for Master Nixon i'll try find that thread on it.
    Last edited by nickers; November 21st, 2007 at 01:54 PM.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast