Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born September 2006 #4

Caddie- He gets really fussy during his feeds and continually comes off the breast. The last 24hrs he has been really bad. Often he will vomit all over me while he is feeding and he keeps trying to feed. Clinic sister told me this was because he has no control over the relux motion. He will spill quite a few times during a feed(spit quantaties of milk). When laying him down he will vomit about 5 times and sometimes he doesnt spit it out, but thankfully we have only had 1 or 2 gaging episodes, he seems to like to chew the cud, so to speak. Also when he has the dummy in we know he has vomited as sometimes it sounds like he is feeding as you can hear him swollowing it back down. Quite often though he will spit the dummy and then vomit up out and everywhere. We are trying to keep him upright for about 30mins after a feed to try and stop the vomiting as lying them down can start the reflux. Also we dont change him for about 1hr after a feed (unless wee and poo escaping) as lifting the bottom can start the relux too. He can also get the screams going and he goes as stiff as a board and tries to arch his back and gets a real that hurts cry. Oh and he also hiccups quite abit and gets the hiccup vomits.

Umm I have probably missed a few things but that's the basis of it. I looked up reflux on the bellybelly main site and found the advice there helpful, you might want to have a squiz. If you have any questions though dont hesiitate to ask, you might get lucky and I might have found something that helped Eithan. Also I think Anna's little man Xander has it aswell.

Here's the link- http://bellybelly.com.au/articles/baby/reflux-in-babies

Love

Last edited by **Helen**; October 6th, 2006 at 04:58 PM.

Yep, Xander has it as well! So frustrating... I have really found the infant gaviscon to be of great help (only under Dr's recommendation for under 12 month olds). It's a bit hard to administer to a BF bub, but we get it into him with a dropper. We have also elevated his cot head, change table and pram so he's head stays well above his tummy height. We can change him after a feed but do so but kinda rolling him side to side to get the nappy on (instead of lifting bum). Xander gags heaps, but like Eithan.. he seems to like chewing on it before swallowing again ewwwwww!

And to whomever asked about hunger? I'm always starrrrrving! I'm pretty sure your body uses more kj's when breast feeding than during pregnancy... that, and tiredness makes me eat more too. I eat three rounds of sandwiches for lunch most days as well as drinking heaps of Activite or Milo to keep the energy up.

LittlePrincess - I'm living on metamucil as of late.. and drinking about 3 litres of water a day; it hasn't helped much

:eek: Maz... Vy is a little piggy!!!!

Thanks for the advice girls.I dont know whether she has it as bad as you girls but she vomits alot more than millana ever did,she can sound real mucousy at times,heaps of hiccups and swallowing the cud! She also does have screaming episodes that do sound like pain cries and lots of wind.Maybe colic? I will paeds dr when i visit on the 19th!

jodi_lee- I have taken her for a walk and used baby carrier which does settle her but only prob is I feel i need to do it all day! She just gets so overtired she screams. I'm finding very hard to handle by this time of the day cause I been dealing with it since morn. The only time she has slept was once early this morn and once in the pram. I've finally stopped her screaming now by getting her to take the dummy but she usually loses that within 10 mins and will scream the place down again and take ages to settle. I feel like giving up at this moment and sending her back!

I feel like giving up at this moment and sending her back!
    I've said this many times too.. but trust me, we really don't want to send them back up where they came from! LOL

Caddie - It does sound a lot like reflux to me, bubs can have it in varying degrees... Eithan sounds like it has it a lot worse than Alexander. It's caused in most cases by immaturity of some valve near the stomach... most babies grow out of it.

I have bought some metamucil so hopfully this will help my problem!

Reflux - My daughter was really bad.. She was what they call the "Happy Chucker!" she would feed and spew and be happy about it, not cry, not be in pain however she was fading away.. She was born at 3.45kilos and by the time we went to trescillian at 9 weeks she had not put on much weight at all.. One week she lost 200 grams . She was loosing weight on the breast, not good for her at all.. We tried food thickner with a spoon and for a 9 week old she managed to eat it quiet well from a spoon. HOwever we needed to start supplimenting her feed so used Karicare Thickened formula ( I used cross flow teats from the chemist) and she started to gain weight however she rejected the breat.. very upsetting for me considering i had ample milk! Olivia was still a happy chucker until about 10 months.. sorryu to ramble on girls but if anyone wants to talk about having a chucker for a child please feel free to contact me.. I can understand what you are going through.. So far Alexander has not shown any signs of it!

We had a Pyloric stenosis ( sp??) ultrasound done for Olivia to check her valve as mendtions by Anna** and Olivia was normal.. They never found a reason why she spewed.. She just did??

Any how,, to all who are going down the reflux path a huge hug for you.. Its a hard yard when they are in pain from silent reflux or vomit all the milk.. And the washing!

xoxo Hugs to everyone!

LOL little p, yes the washing, OMG I have had to go out and buy more bedding and clothes just to keep up. The other night I was almost going to pull out one of Bella's pink growsuits when I found a green one for him.

Shellbell-lots of hugs to you, I hope she gets settled for you soon.

Anna**-Eithan has bad reflux, but like little p said is a happy chucker most of the time. But that said, I have been told it could be a lot worse. Pead told me that it is just one of those things that we both have to work through and she would only consider intervention if he was vomiting up blood or not thriving. So far he is doing well.

Caddie-Goodluck at the paed. Bella had colic and she didnt sleep, she screamed all the time, wouldnt settle and had to be held all the time and rocked to sleep and then woke as soon as she was put down. She didnt vomit at all, it was the wind being stuck not being able to come up or go down, stuck in the middle. It does sound like Ruby has reflux and like Anna said, no matter how bad it is, it is awful and hard for all of those involved. Esp that Ruby is having gaging fits, that's not good.

Love

Is there any possible way I could suddenly not have enough milk?
    Jett has been feeding every hour today and gets really frustrated like there isnt enough milk to satisfy him. Ive noticed Im not leaking as much anymore and was wondering if my milk is disappearing. I managed to express 100ml so Dh can do a nightfeed and let me get some decent sleep but I doubt that would have affected my supply? I def still have some milk though, I squeezed some out before.
    Im so tempted to comp feed with formula I feel like Im starving the little booger.

Not much else happening here. Just tired and boooooooooored lol Dh is not much help either, like he is supposed to be.

On the topic of reflux, we've been lucky that Jett rarely spits up considering my DH and my cousin both suffer from pyloric stenosis (a severe dysfunction of the stomach valve) which resulted in surgery for Dh at 3mths old. Apparently it can be genetic and is most common in firstborn/males. Is it bad that Jett doesnt spit up? I think he's done it maybe twice since he was born. OMG am I not feeding him enough

hey girls,

belle im sorry i coldnt get online to chat with you last night i was off my head on pain killers the hospital gave me for my leg. lol.

maz- thanks. it wasnt a blood clot i have trouble with the hip joint its self. had it all my life.

well i had to go in there at 8am for my 8.30 appt with x-ray to see what i have done to the hip its self. and they found that i have been chipping bone away during the labour again like i did when i had akira. so they had to put me in for the day i have this keyhole cut where they had to flush away bone or something i didnt want to know what they were doing lol. never get home until 8pm .

poor simon had to have both kids for the day. i found out later from mum that he went there for help lol.

well im off to bed now that riley has finished his bottle.

later

Adele

Sorry to hear about those that have reflux. I can't imagine it would be easy.

AnnaT - you're milk may be starting to settle down and that's why you don't feel as though you've got enough. If you're still able to express or even hand express, then I'd say you've got enough. Jett may be going through a little growth spurt and may be just a little hungrier than usual. Maybe keep an eye on your diet and fluid intake? Has Jett got plenty of wet nappies? That's always a good sign if he's getting plenty of milk. Don't feel bad if you choose to comp feed with a formula. I've done this a couple of times if Nina has gone on a feeding frenzy and I'm stuffed, or if I want to have a break. We started doing it at around 3 weeks, only every now and then.

AnnaT - im just saying one thing, 10 day growth spurt. Its not you, Jett's going through it probably.
    Chrissy - I just had a sticky at Caitlyn's web site. Oh I could just eat her up.
    Helen - Look at how gorgeous Eithan is on his ticker. I hope that your better (to an extent no doubt) and its good that your come a board again lovie.
    Caddie - good luck with the doc for Ruby. Nikolaus has reflux bad, like Helen's Eithan. I too had shares in Radiant at the time (hehehe). I kind of thought you'd be feeding but doesn't matter, there's a next time (3rd time lucky maybe lol)
    Belle - did you go for a drive and feed that junk food craving ? lol
    How is everyone else, im sorry for lack of personals ive really got to get int he shower and dressed to take the kids to Kids town - its a big adventure playgroud. we're meeting friends there and Jed is bloody working AHHHHHH. It will be an experience.
    Oh Vyolett slept from 12 to 5.30 again, thank the lord!
    Have a great day girls
    xxmaz

Ah I forgot about the 10day growth spurt. Boobs are full to bursting now as Dh did a EBM feed last night so I could sleep. Bub ended up sleeping 10:30pm to 3:30am anyway!
    Be back in a sec, bub needs booby.

success for me last night! Ruby slept from 8pm - 12pm then had a feed,from 12pm - 4am and had a feed and then 4am to 7am.I am so lucky last night.I wouldnt expect it all the time though! And no vomits! Plenty of hiccups and regurge but maybe she was happy yesterday.
    Its nice to know that our bubs can behave.Well not much happening for me this weekend,again.DH is working all today so that means food shop tommorow and the likes.Boring.

woo hoooooo Ruby... good girl for being nice to your mummy last night. Hope you enjoyed your extra sleep Caddie.

AnnaT - Jett is probably going through a growth spurt.. whenever Xander does i never feel as if I have enough milk to keep up, but the more they suck, the more you will make. I'm sure you are doing a great job! There is a recipe for a milkshake in the increasing supply sticky in the breast feeding forum... I can vouch that it really did boost my supply big time so might be worth a go!

Xander was such a great baby last night... he slept from 6.30pm - 10.30pm, then from 10.30 - 3am, then 3am - 6.30am. Was bliss to get such good sleep! He seems quite unsettled this morning tho.. so hopefully he'll settle down soon. He seems to have his 'witching hour' from about 8am till 10am.

OK i have finally loaded some piccies onto me photobucket site.

Hope it works for you ladies.

Off to catch up on everyone elses piccies.

You lucky girls who get nice breaks between feeds. Ashleigh pretty much 3 hourly on the dot!
    I'm feeling better this morn, she finally settled by 7:30 last night, I went to bed at 8:15! Then this morn she had her 7:30 feed and is usually awake then but this morn went back to sleep so I had another sleep and feel alot better.

Anna - i love Xanders glasses, he looks like such a cool dude. Good to see that his witching hour is through the day now, so much easier than through the night.
    Caddie - Ruby must know that mummy needs a rest. The MHN said that at about 5-6 weeks our babies tend to sleep a little longer between feeds. Bring it on I say.
    ChrissyT - I have to load some new pics up on our site. I takes so dame long and I just cant be bothered (Im slack)
    Shell - Atleast you know when Ashleigh wants food. Vy wanted it all the time at 3 weeks. I remeber her being on my boob for 4 hours straight. I was close to pulling my hair out and puytting her in the Australian post letter box but I knew they'd find the return to sender and she'd be worse off!
    Went to the adventure playground and Vyolett decided to have a massive blowout of her nappy. Mind you I dressed her in her WHITE pumpkin patch outfit (so I could show her off of course) so had to come home early. Its now a lovely mustard colour and soaking. UNLUCKY!
    Going to hang some washing up and vac the house...its a pig stye.
    Later chickens
    xxmaz

Just a quickie today.

LOL Maz about Vyolett's blowout, look what I can do mummy! she wanted to show off too!Your poor thing though I hope it washes up alright.

AnnaT-I'm with the other girls, I think your milk is settling (I dont leak either). and that Jett is having a growth spurt. All the best.

Anna-What a cool little pic of Xander.

Augh Eithan is calling, has been grunting for 10mins cant leave him any longer sorry BBL for more personals.

Love

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast