Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies born ~ November 16th-30th 2009 #6

Hi Jess, welcome to BB.

He sounds like a pretty normal 8 month old to me - and born exactly the same day as my bub!! What an awesome day!!!

To be honest, you can't "teach" them to find their dummy, you can either put about 8 or so dummies in there so he accidentally touches one and can pop it in, or have him in the same room as you so at least you don't have to get out of bed. Whenever mine were going through that phase (and I do believe its a phase) we had the cot next to our bed, with the side off, so you just roll over, reach out and pop a dummy in. Barely even notice that you are awake most of the time.

Does he have one sleep per day of 2 hours, or 2 hours all up? Eden is still sleeping twice a day, about an hour and a half in the morning, and an hour in the arvo. So she'll have her nap usually at 9.30am - wake around 11ish, then back down at 2pm until 3. All my kids have fallen into this routine - sometimes going down at 1.30 instead of 2. Then she'll go to bed at 7pm. She still wakes up in the middle of the night, so we give her a bottle. When she is teething (and I would think that yours is teething as well, cos they get pain from their teeth moving around in their gums, even if no teeth are showing) I give her some panadol or SM33 on her gums to help settle her down easier (cos who wants to sleep when they are in pain?)

As for wind, I still pop in some Infacol with eden's bottles as she still doesnt' burp properly with out it - she has reflux too, although the vomiting has dropped off somewhat in the last month.

Thats about all I can suggest - from my experience anyway!!!

Welcome to our group!

Aaaah my two worlds collide!! BB girls, this is Jess! My bestie with the little man whose name we all loved when I told you about them in our FB thread - He was born the same day ad Cruz & Eden! Cruzy's little twinnie, they're BFF's - Big Fat Friends

Jess - My BB Girls! BB Girls - My Jess! Hehe!

Well, you know exactly what I think of little Mr A so I will let the other girls reassure you he is perfect!

I am just so excited everyone's meeting hahaha

Love you all xx

Hi Zeccas and welcome! You should stay on this thread, everyone is so helpful and we're all really good cyber friends now. We vent, whinge, laugh, cry together, they're an amazing bunch of girls!

I had my first born on the 30th November, Amelia so only 2 days difference to your little man. She was however 1 day overdue....born by emergency c-section, I managed to get golden staph in hospital after my waters were broken...I did go into spontaneous labour but they had to break my waters. Anyhoo..........Amelia's always been a good sleeper, we didn't demand feed and did a routine from the start. But, in saying that, at the moment she is having (for her) bad nights. She has her 2 bottom teeth and I think the top ones are coming, but she did this exact same thing when she was teething with her bottom two. You might find his teeth are starting to move and also, do you have a book called "The Wonder Weeks"? It's a fantastic book that talks about the development stages and how it affects them. Well right now they are in the throws of a "wonder week" and it can affect their eating, sleeping, moods etc. So it could also be that. Amelia can roll and I always keep a couple of dummies in the cot but she can't always find them in the dark....although I hadn't thought about glow in the dark ones....hmmm good idea! Is he self settling when you put him down at night? Normally Amelia can sleep the night without needing her dummy put back in but at the moment I am going in to her and doing it once or twice a night.....I just go with it while she's going through teething/wonder week stuff as it's all part of it. I find when it's over she goes back to sleeping without having to have me go in and pop it in all the time. Also, apparently at this age their sleeping pattern changes again...I do recommend getting this Wonder Weeks book. It's only up until 12 months but its well worth it to put your mind at ease. All my mums group girls swear by the book as well and all our bubs are doing the same at the moment, waking in the night etc. Your feeding routine is exactly the same as mine, solids at 5.00 ish, bath at 6.00 pm and bottle and bed by 6.30 pm, Amelia generally sleeps till 7.00 am the next morning, lately she's been waking around 6.00 am, another wonder week thing. Here's the signs to look out for:

cries more often
    bad tempered, cranky
    wants to be kept busy
    clingy
    temper tantrums
    more shy with strangers
    sleeps poorly
    has nightmares/dreams more often than before
    loss of appetite
    fusses when being changed
    wants dummy/thumb more
    wants cuddly toys more often than before

Also, re the temperature, I find for Amelia the perfect temp is around 19/20 degrees, he's not getting too hot is he? Where do you live? I'm in Perth, W.A. Amelia is also in a Grobag, 2.5 TOG at the moment, no blankets or sheet. Also, have you tried the Hylands Teething Tablets? They are a natural tablets that dissolves on their tongue, I always give Amelia 3 before bed and they help quite a bit, that long with SM33 - Bonjela is crap don't even bother with that. I just bought some teething elixir yesterday that I was hesitant to use but Amelia has been sleeping so badly at night this past week I was at my wits end. The chemist makes it and said it's totally fine, it's half paracetamol (panadol) and half antihistamine...perhaps you could see if your local chemist has something like that, just to get him through this period. Amelia only woke once last night and I think it was because I gave her less then the recommended dose as I was nervous. But try the Hylands Natural Teething tablets, you can get them at the chemists in the baby section. Amelia sticks her tongue out for them, she likes them! Also, sleep breeds sleep so if he's not getting much during the day this might not help him at night. Amelia has 2 naps a day now, on a good day she'll have 2 of 1.5 hours but on a bad day 45 minutes each....but your bub might also be a catnapper in the day. I find if I keep the room dark in the day sleeps and the room temp at a good one she'll sleep longer. Is your bub formula or breastfed? Mine is formula fed. Also, something else you could try for during the day now is to swap the milk and solids around, I used to have Amelia on 4 feeds a day, the health nurse told me to drop down to 3 so she has a bottle when she gets up around 7.00 am, then solids, then bed. Then I used to give her a bottle around 11.00 am but I've started giving her her solids at 12.00 pm and the bottle 2nd just before putting her down at around 1/1.30 pm.......then some fruit or something mid arvo and then dinner/solids at 5.00 pm ish etc etc.

Amelia has only just started commando crawling this week too so she's also not properly crawling yet.

Anyway, I've rambled on a bit, but please if you want to ask anything else etc go ahead....I'm more than happy to answer your questions. Also, I'm on Facebook so if it's easier to talk there just add me...Alison Lewkowski. None of this may be helpful and the other girls probably can help too, we used to talk heaps more in here but have been conversing on FB lately ha ha. Hope this was a little bit helpful but ask away, happy to offer any suggestions if they can help!

aaah, have just seen Alicia's note.....hee hee, Amelia's future mother in law xx........well anyone who's friends with Alicia is obviously gorgeous so again, welcome! xx

Hi Jess,
    Welcome to bb, its a great place to get all kinds of advice, although lots of ppl will have the way it worked for them and others may totally disagree so... Ill just tell you what I know works for us

V was not sleeping very much during the day and because of this she was extremely overtired and unsettled at night, mind you she never was a great sleeper, my DH and I used to either feed or rock her to sleep then put her down. I was so exhausted that I ended up going to a sleep school called Tresillian and they helped me get her into a roper routine. I wrap her and give her a dummy and leave her with some music on in her room and she will cry a bit but then it gets less and less and she will drift off. Sometimes she makes a lot of noise and throws the dummy out and wants me to pick it up. I think she is at the age where she knows what happens if i throw it out..mummy comes back....So I have now stopped giving it back to her. If she is still upset a half an hour after she has thrown the dummy (usually she is asleep though after 15 mins or so) Ill give her back the dummy and rewrap her. There are a lot of ppl who would say what Im doing is cruel but she now sleeps 2 2hour blocks in the day and mostly all night but maybe I get up once to reassure her and wrap and lay her down. People (everyone) has commented on her being so much happier now.

All kiddies are different though and it depends on how you want to approach it. The nurses at Tresillian did tell me to disassociate bed time and feeding as the baby should know they are going to bed and that bed is an ok place.

Not sure if this is what you were after...Good luck though..

Just saw Alicias note too! See how we all have such varying advice? lol Trust yourself and your little man and you will be fine

Oh yes I always play music for Amelia too, have done since she came home from hossy. You're not cruel Natty, you've done a fab job with V's sleeping, a massive and rather quick turnaround because of it. They won't die from crying, sometimes we have to do it, last night when Amelia woke she tried on the cry thing and I could tell it wasn't a "I'm in pain cry" like the previous night so I just said, right, you've had a little cuddle, here's your dummy, mummy's going back to bed now and so are you and walked out, she cried for a minute and then went silent and that was it for the rest of the night. They try it on sometimes don't they!

Just quickly popping in to say a huge hello and welcome to Jess

Anyone who is a friend of Alicia's must be a rockstar Belly Belly is awesome, especially the ladies on this thread

wow forgot about this thread since we chat elsewhere.....serenity has really got the hang of walking around on the furniture and i think shes teething cos she shoves everything in her mouth and she has lovely rosie cheeks

almost out of 000 too........almost hahah

Hey Jess!!! Welcome!! Great girls in this group! : )

I've got a funny little sleeper here too.....good advice from the girls....I dont have much to give as we are still learning what to do here as well!! After Abbey never putting herself to sleep once for 7 months I was shocked at how quick Abbey got used to putting herself to sleep so that was a surprise....still struggling with the whole staying asleep thing though! Ah well, 1 out of 2 is better than none at the moment!

You've got a great friend in Alicia - lovely lovely lady there!

xoxo

Welcome to our group Jess! I am the worst one to offer advice as Archie still sleeps with me at night and mostly in his pram during the day! haha! x

Hey JDsMum...

How did you get your little one to self settle ??? Asten doesn't even do that

Jess x

I ended up just doing the CC thing but it wasnt that traumatic and Abbey hasnt really lost it lost it and went completely ballistic or anything.....Natty has great advice on this sort of stuff too!! I just wait for her tired signs or if she's been up for about 3 hours or so then put her in her sleeping bag and put her in her cot with her little music thing on say night night and leave the room. If she's going off a little bit after 5 minutes or so I'll go back in and give her her dummy and give her a pat on the bum if she needs it and go back out.....I was surprised that she didnt put up more of a fight and wish I had done this earlier!!! Yesterday she went down for her 3 sleeps without a peep.....still not sleeping through though as I said, but we'll get there with that!! I find she sleeps better on her side or belly too...

Perseverance is the key!
    All these girls have heaps to offer with great advice!! Got a good couple of sleepers in this group!
    xoxox

Default bistsmen

Thanks heaps for that JDsMum, I just dont know if we should do controlled crying if he is teething.... we give him everything to help with the pain....and then I nurse him heaps and cuddle him heaps but he is still fighting and crying so one night we just had to let him cry, I feel bad

Just hope they come through soon for him and us x

Thanks heaps for that JDsMum, I just dont know if we should do controlled crying if he is teething.... we give him everything to help with the pain....and then I nurse him heaps and cuddle him heaps but he is still fighting and crying so one night we just had to let him cry, I feel bad

Just hope they come through soon for him and us x

I know...the whole thing is horrible and it's hard to know if its teeth or something else that's bothering them.....I have had a crap couple of nights with Abbey the last 2 nights and have given in and let her come onto the lounge with me or in bed....it's just too hard sometimes....she didnt go down well this morning for her morning nap and I had to pat her on the bum to sleep....just do whatever works for you to get through it!!!

aaaagh teething, I'm over it! We have had some bad nights the past week too, Amelia's top side teeth (fangs) are coming through, poor thing are giving her more grief than her bottom ones....she had a horrible cold last time so not sure how much of it was teeth or cold though. This time she actually screams with pain. Last night she woke up at 10pm with a real screaming pain, it took me 30 mins to get her to stop crying, I felt so helpless....I ended up giving her some panadol and actually put her in bed with us which we haven't done in months! She went straight to sleep though so that was good and we just put her back in her cot and she slept until 7.30am this morning! Poor things, I wish we could help them more. I can understand how she feels though, I had my tooth out a week ago tomorrow and I'm still living off Nurofen as the pain just won't go!

Hi Jess this is cut and pasted from another conversation so I hope it makes sense...

In a nutshell I wait for the tired signs, take her in the room, wrap and put on her tummy as she prefers it. She loses her dumy now and then but I wait till she is treally ****ed at losing it before I go in so she is grateful and doesnt spit it out again. If it becomes a game i leave her to suffer lol. She can now unwrap herself so I often find her standing or sitting so I just rewrap and lay her doiwn ahgain, I never pick her up, the idea is for her eventually to be able to self settle and not need me at all to sleep.

I used to stay in ther and pat her bum but that is because she was used to being rocked. Now I kiss her and leave but if she is distressed and only if she is actually distressed, not just ****ed at me for lraving her do I go in. Does that make sense? .

Oh sometimes I chuck a few dummies in so if she loses it there are spares lol.

It is tough Shayna but I figure I was exhausted too I got up to V last night once at 12 to feed her then she woke at 430 and woulkdnt go back to sleep and was still up at 530 so I got her up and gave her breakfast and she was all like "put me back in bed" lol so funny

Oh I just remembered something...If they are crying and then settle down a bit they are learning how to calm them selves and eventually can calm themselves to sleep so the more timnes shre goes quiet inbetween the crying, the better. .

I let V play until she is yelling lol then I wrap again sometimes I have to do it 3 or 4 times.... eventually she is so tired she doesnt bother...battle of the wills

Cheers Natty

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast